Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Solar System Thread (merged)

Planets

Unread postby Chuckmak » Sun 17 Sep 2006, 07:55:56

Last edited by Ferretlover on Fri 02 Oct 2009, 13:23:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified title.
"if god doesn't exist, it is necessary that we invent him" - Voltaire

"they say prescott bush funded hitler" - Nas

Chuckmak
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: watching this made me feel EXTREMELY TINY

Unread postby turmoil » Sun 17 Sep 2006, 13:23:48

<!-- see location :)

thanks for posting that...great clip
"If you are a real seeker after truth, it's necessary that at least once in your life you doubt all things as far as possible"-Rene Descartes

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains however improbable must be the truth"-Sherlock Holmes
turmoil
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Sun 17 Sep 2006, 13:36:29

Yes, a terrific "little" clip! Was that Gustave Holtz's The Planets? Sounded familiar.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Spartan2 » Sun 17 Sep 2006, 13:52:32

Now that's what I call great balls of fire!
Spartan2
Wood
Wood

Unread postby NEOPO » Sun 17 Sep 2006, 15:17:03

I may be hung like a horse yet we all know that it is not size that matters.......... right? ;-)
It is easier to enslave a people that wish to remain free then it is to free a people who wish to remain enslaved.
NEOPO
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Daculling » Sun 17 Sep 2006, 17:37:08

Holy, I don't want to be anywhere near that last star when it goes!
Daculling
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Chuckmak » Sun 17 Sep 2006, 18:55:36

Daculling wrote:Holy, I don't want to be anywhere near that last star when it goes!

i know right? heheh
"if god doesn't exist, it is necessary that we invent him" - Voltaire

"they say prescott bush funded hitler" - Nas

Chuckmak
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby robski » Mon 18 Sep 2006, 01:48:23

Yeah, it does make us feel tiny. But the human neocortex is the most sophisticated material thing in the universe, so I like to think that we are the most special.
robski
Peat
Peat

Unread postby gego » Mon 18 Sep 2006, 03:06:00

robski wrote:Yeah, it does make us feel tiny. But the human neocortex is the most sophisticated material thing in the universe, so I like to think that we are the most special.

With such a tiny neocortex, how did you reach that conclusion?
gego
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Zardoz » Mon 18 Sep 2006, 03:43:15

It said the Pistol Star is "100 times more massive than our sun". From the looks of it, I'd say they dropped several zeroes. It appears to be more like 100,000 times more massive:

List of the largest known stars

If the Pistol Star has a diameter 340 times greater than our sun, how much greater is its volume?

And let's not even talk about W Cephai...
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby CrudeAwakening » Mon 18 Sep 2006, 05:18:52

Zardoz wrote:It said the Pistol Star is "100 times more massive than our sun". From the looks of it, I'd say they dropped several zeroes. It appears to be more like 100,000 times more massive:

List of the largest known stars

If the Pistol Star has a diameter 340 times greater than our sun, how much greater is its volume?

And let's not even talk about W Cephai...

I think they could be right - as the size of a star increases, its density tends to decrease, so its mass doesn't increase in direct proportion to its volume.

Boggles the mind, though, doesn't it? Not to mention all that space in between the buggers.
CrudeAwakening
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Protective Shield around Solar System Weakening

Unread postby Narz » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 05:04:07

Someone posted this on another forum & I thought it was interesting. Five minutes ago I didn't even know our solar system has a "protective shield". I hope this problem irons itself out, it'd be a shame for humanity to beat the odds & gets it's all it's schnit together here on mother Earth just to get annihilated by some intergalactic cosmic radiation. :(

Sun's protective 'bubble' is shrinking
The protective bubble around the sun that helps to shield the Earth from harmful interstellar radiation is shrinking and getting weaker, Nasa scientists have warned.

By Richard Gray, Science Correspondent
Last Updated: 9:23AM BST 19 Oct 2008

New data has revealed that the heliosphere, the protective shield of energy that surrounds our solar system, has weakened by 25 per cent over the past decade and is now at it lowest level since the space race began 50 years ago.

Scientists are baffled at what could be causing the barrier to shrink in this way and are to launch mission to study the heliosphere.

The Interstellar Boundary Explorer, or IBEX, will be launched from an aircraft on Sunday on a Pegasus rocket into an orbit 150,000 miles above the Earth where it will "listen" for the shock wave that forms as our solar system meets the interstellar radiation.

Dr Nathan Schwadron, co-investigator on the IBEX mission at Boston University, said: "The interstellar medium, which is part of the galaxy as a whole, is actually quite a harsh environment. There is a very high energy galactic radiation that is dangerous to living things.

"Around 90 per cent of the galactic cosmic radiation is deflected by our heliosphere, so the boundary protects us from this harsh galactic environment."

The heliosphere is created by the solar wind, a combination of electrically charged particles and magnetic fields that emanate a more than a million miles an hour from the sun, meet the intergalactic gas that fills the gaps in space between solar systems.

At the boundary where they meet a shock wave is formed that deflects interstellar radiation around the solar system as it travels through the galaxy.

The scientists hope the IBEX mission will allow them to gain a better understanding of what happens at this boundary and help them predict what protection it will offer in the future.

Without the heliosphere the harmful intergalactic cosmic radiation would make life on Earth almost impossible by destroying DNA and making the climate uninhabitable.

Measurements made by the Ulysses deep space probe, which was launched in 1990 to orbit the sun, have shown that the pressure created inside the heliosphere by the solar wind has been decreasing.

Dr David McComas, principal investigator on the IBEX mission, said: "It is a fascinating interaction that our sun has with the galaxy surrounding us. This million mile an hour wind inflates this protective bubble that keeps us safe from intergalactic cosmic rays.

"With less pressure on the inside, the interaction at the boundaries becomes weaker and the heliosphere as a whole gets smaller."

If the heliosphere continues to weaken, scientists fear that the amount of cosmic radiation reaching the inner parts of our solar system, including Earth, will increase.

This could result in growing levels of disruption to electrical equipment, damage satellites and potentially even harm life on Earth.

But Dr McComas added that it was still unclear exactly what would happen if the heliosphere continued to weaken or what even what the timescale for changes in the heliosphere are.

He said: “There is no imminent danger, but it is hard to know what the future holds. Certainly if the solar wind pressure was to continue to go down and the heliosphere were to almost evaporate then we would be in this sea of galactic cosmic rays. That could have some large effects.

“It is likely that there are natural variations in solar wind pressure and over time it will either stabilise or start going back up.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/3222476/Suns-protective-bubble-is-shrinking.html
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Protective Shield around Solar System Weakening

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 05:27:32

A 25% decrease in the last decade at exactly the same time we hit Peak Oil and exactly the same time the Housing Bubble exploded. Nice coincidence! Clearly the Heliosphere depletion is the result of Bush policies over the last decade. LOL.

No, I don't subscribe to THAT theory, its confusing cause and effect. The Race clearly is ON however as for the Final Cause of Armageddon! Will it be:

Cosmic Radiation
Thermonuclear War
Icecap Meldown and Methane Release
Crop failures/Transportation breakdowns/Famine
Pandemic of Avian Flu
Meteor Impact
Supervolcanic Eruption
A reappearance of Angels and Demons on Earth and a War between the Gog and the Magog
Slow Descent to the Stone Age
Paris Hilton elected President
A shortage of Ink for Ben's Printing Press (Peak Ink)
Poor Leadership in the Gooberernment (Peak Intelligence)

Good grief, Peak Oil doesn't even make the LIST anymore! LOL.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Impervius » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 05:41:59

This is why most likely galactic civilizations will die out before becoming too advanced.

Too much shit can go wrong.
Impervius
Wood
Wood

Unread postby katkinkate » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 06:04:39

List posted by ReverseEngineer

Cosmic Radiation - very highly unlikely in all of Earth's history

Thermonuclear War - quite likely in the next 5-50 years

Icecap Meldown and Methane Release - fairly likely if 'global warming' works out to be true - timing?

Crop failures/Transportation breakdowns/Famine - this is peakoil results, likely over the next 2-20 years in patches

Pandemic of Avian Flu - possible any time, A.flu or some other disease

Meteor Impact - Large impact: very likely over the next 100 million years, tomorrow? probably not. Small: had one near Alice Springs (central Aust) a few days ago.

Supervolcanic Eruption - quite possible over the next few million years, tomorrow? certainly not.

A reappearance of Angels and Demons on Earth and a War between the Gog and the Magog - quite possible in the imaginations of a subset of the religiously deluded, in reality the angels and demons are within us.

Slow Descent to the Stone Age - possible, unless we kill ourselves off in a sudden apocalyptic act of idiocy first.

Paris Hilton elected President - hey, Palin's pretty close to it, you never know.

A shortage of Ink for Ben's Printing Press (Peak Ink) - eventually, probably run out of a reason to print first.

Poor Leadership in the Gooberernment (Peak Intelligence) - inevitable.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 06:29:21

katkinkate wrote:Meteor Impact - Large impact: very likely over the next 100 million years, tomorrow? probably not. Small: had one near Alice Springs (central Aust) a few days ago.

Supervolcanic Eruption - quite possible over the next few million years, tomorrow? certainly not.

Now see, here is the underlying question. If it was pure statistical chance, the likelihood of either of these events happenneing tommorow or even by 2012 is unimaginably small.

Then again, the likelihood of 100 year Floods happening every 5 years isn't too good either, and the likelihood of it all happening at the same time as Peak Oil isn't too good unless its all connected somehow. So you have to look for the connections, and of course they are easy to find in the case of the Floods and the Weather changes on the surface of the earth.

I started a thread a while back regarding Geologic and Cosmological Events, this observation regarding the Heliosphere would fall into that category. Its definitely and oddball observation which by itself might mean nothing, but taken in aggregate with everything else might mean SOMETHING. This is why you never want to lose the Big Picture in your head, its very easy to say with Earthquakes, "they happen all the time, its Random". But if you look on bigger scales, its not always so random. If you take the Universe as your scale, perhaps all these things are not unrelated in some way?

Think of it like the Money supply and the stock market and the derivatives. It can all seem quite random as to how it all moves, by mysterious "market forces". However, if you postulate there is a controlling influence here with a lot of money to force the market in certain directions and to create panic at the flick of a switch, you can imgaine at least how economic booms and busts could be controlled. If that is possible, than why would it not be possible to control Universal Parameters to make a whole lot of unlikely events occur all at the same time?

That being said, I will say this. In the event in the time period between now and say 2012, any one of these truly rare events comes to pass, it would be a sure sign to me at least that God decided to flick off the switch on Human Civilization. If our demise comes as a result of a Cosmological event or a huge Geologic event in the next 4 years, that is to me irrefutable proof of the existence of God.

If we simply blow ourselves up with Thermonuclear weapons, the answer would remain unclear. That is not just fractionally possible these days, its more likely all the time.

If we get hit by a Behemoth Meteor or Yellowstone goes Ballistic though, you can be quite sure God Exists, and if you don't have all your ducks in a row, you are TOAST and will be Burning in Hell.

I'll wait and see what ends up taking us down here. I don't write off the possibility of ANY of these occurrences. I will say I prefer the Meteor to Paris Hilton though. LOL.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 07:31:36

EXIT MUNDI , a collection of end of world scenarios, including of course Oil Peak.

Some have postulated that nearby supernovae could have caused mass extinctions on Earth. I seriously doubt shrinkage of the heliosphere affects life here, otherwise we'd see regular effects in the geological record, given that we've only been observing the heliosphere for a bit over a quarter century. Perhaps it could mess up our satellite systems however.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Fishman » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 07:38:30

Gore is working on his next movie, its about the manmade shrinkage of the heliosphere!
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby meemoe_uk » Tue 21 Oct 2008, 19:47:11

lol at fishman.
It's nice to see this topic has made it's way onto the forum. Awareness of the sun's activity is key to getting us out of the delusion we're in now. And general awareness on this is growing.

The heliosphere flux is part of the solar cycles. Currently the sun is at an unusally long schwabe minimum ( 11 year cycle ) and is at the 110 year gleissburg minimum. This makes now a special time for the sun. The sun's activity is at a 100 year low, and will be so for the next 15 years.
There's a remark about it being lower than at any time for the last 50 years. This is an under statement.

It has been known for over 200 years that there is a strong relation between the solar cycle and the weather on Earth. Weak solar cycles means cold weather. Strong solar mean warm weather. The little ice age was full of weak cycles. The 20th century warm period has been full of stronger cycles.
The 70s cooling scare was during a weak cycle.

My thesis is that the controlers of the world economy have known this since it was first discovered back around 1800. They then use it to better apply their 'rowing' of the economy, i.e. they synch it with the sun.
If weak sun, retract the money supply, impede economy.
If warm sun, expand the money supply, boost economy.
But before doing this, they make sure they've sent everbyody the wrong way.
i.e. before a solar cycle
If weak cycle, tell eveyone to spend.
If strong cycle, tell eveyone to huddle under the mattress.
Why? Read more...
http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic34923-0.html

So the global warming hysteria and peak oil is linked in with the heliosphere! The point is to send the market the wrong way. They know the big freeze is on with the gleissburg minimum, so they whip up hysteria with AGW. You've just got to get the cause and effect right. solar cycle is the cause, and the controlers of the world economy apply 'media hype' effect, and then finally it is seen the hype is the opposite to what transpires.
Exactly the same thing happened 35 years ago. They knew the 70s cycle - 20 - was a 'one off' weak cycle. They knew cycle 21 was going to be warmer, and that the 70s cooling was temporary. So what did they do? They packed the media at the time full of scare storys of freezing hell. And blamed man-made air pollution for it. Also they contracted the world's money and food supply.

Blimey, after watching zeitgeist and moneymasters, which make pretty clear the elite control the world media, you'd think people would realise that whatever the media hype about is infact a lie. But they don't. Once convinced, religious, fanatical zeal sets in.

All sane people can do is help themselves, and watch.
I'll try to get round to updating my elite agenda thread, to talk about this more.
I'm not saying solar cycle is the only, or most important factor in the elite's timing of their rows, but I am saying it's a major factor. All other things being equal they will row it exactly in synch with the sun. The thing is, we don't know to what degree the elite have control over the world economy. Do the IBC have enough control over russia and china? Is the 'eastern threat' just contrived with the IBC controlling the money through central banks on both sides like the cold war was? If so, then the elite will row the economy in synch with the sun.
meemoe_uk
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate