Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Saudi Arabia Thread pt 6

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Suadi oil Infrastructure atacks

Unread postby Revi » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 10:01:24

This might get things going:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... el-reports

Near the straights of Hormuz.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 12:18:08

Revi wrote:This might get things going:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... el-reports

Near the straights of Hormuz.

Thats the problem with not responding to Iran's provocations and attacks

It just emboldens them to do more provocations and attacks.

IMHO Trump should've swatted Iran with a small scale air strike after they shot down the American intelligence drone.

By not responding Trump showed Iran that he is weak.

That encouraged Iran to undertake this attack on KSA with drones and missiles.

And again Trump isn't responding.

No doubt Iran is laughing in an evil way and planning their next attack already.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 13:00:58

That encouraged Iran to undertake this attack on KSA with drones and missiles.

Proof, please.
Even the Saudis are saying that although the drones are sourced from Iran they do not know yet who launched them or from where. You do realize that there has been a two-year history of missiles and drones being launched by the Northern Yemenis?

January 2018. SA intercepted a missile fired by the Houthis targeting Najran

June 2018. SA says it intercepted two Houthi ballistic missiles over Riyadh

July 2018. Houthis attacked a SA oil tanker in the Red Sea

Aug 2018. SA intercepted two missiles fired by the Houthis at Jizan province

Apr 2019. Arab coalition says it intercepted two drones launched by Houthis towards the city of Khamis Mushait

May 2019. SA says armed drones stuck two of it oil-pumping stations west of Riyadh. US claims the drones were launched from Iraq but with no proof as to by who

May 2019. SA shot down two ballistic missiles heading toward Jeddah and Mecca. Houthis claim missiles were not aimed at Mecca

June 2019. Houthi rebels fire a missile at Abha airport in SA

June 2019. Houthi rebels launch a drone attack targeting Abha airport

June 2019. Houthi rebels hit a Jizan power station with a missile

July 2019. Houthi drone attack on Abha airport

August 2019. Houthi rebels fired a long-range missile at Dammam hundreds of km away from Yemen

August 2019. Houthi launched drone attacks on SA King Khalid airbase and Abha and Najran airports

August 2019. Houthi drone attack sparks a fire in Shaybah oil and gas field in eastern SA

August 2019. Houthis fired 10 ballistic missiles at Jian airport, coalition intercepted 6

August 2019. Houthis claim launch drone attack on a military target in Riyadh, SA denies any drone attack but no evidence either way

the point being it isn't any news that the northern Yeminis have missiles and drones and have used them in the not too distant past. The possibility that the drones were launched from southern Iraq or somewhere in the Gulf or even Qatar or UAE does not mean it was done by Iran, there are Houthis sympathizers pretty much everywhere in the Gulf region outside of SA.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 13:22:10

the drones are sourced from Iran they do not know yet who launched them....

Well....lets think about this, shall we?

Since the drones were launched from Iran...do you think it is remotely possible it was the Iranians who launched them?

I mean who is in Iran?

Should I give you a clue?

OK---the people in Iran are Iranians. Imagine that!

And if there are Iranians in Iran and the drones (and missiles) came from Iran, then most likely the Iranians in Iran had something to do with launching them.

Right?

Do you get it now?

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 13:47:16

Since the drones were launched from Iran...do you think it is remotely possible it was the Iranians who launched them?

please show us where the proof that they were launched for Iran came from. The latest I find is that the Saudis do not know where they were launched from although they are of Iranian construction and the even Trump was saying "we aren't sure yet but we will tell you when we are". I've not seen any updates to that nor any news reports showing they have tracked the launches to Iran.

something like that you would expect to be reported on every major news outlet....nothing as far as I can see.

as it stands according to all the news:

- Iran was the source of the drones (i.e. they built them and either sold them to Yemen or to someone who subsequently sold them to Yemen). Source is not the same as launch in my dictionary. Maybe you have a different dictionary

- Yemen claims responsibility for the drone attack. Iran denies they had anything to do with it.

- the evidence from the various sites indicates a missile trajectory from the NE. That means either the drones originated somewhere in the NE or they came from somewhere else and then turned from that direction. Both are possible based on the evidence in the press currently. If they were launched from Iraq, the Gulf or another country such as Qatar you have to show direct links to Iran involvement.

- Yemen has sent drones and missiles into SA in the recent past and has targeted oilfield infrastructure in the recent past. Iran has not done that.

But I'm open for actual press reports that demonstrate Iran launched the attack.

Waiting for that. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Re: THE Saudi Arabia Thread pt 6

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 13:55:25

well looks like it was a bit of a tempest in a teapot

Saudi energy minister says oil supply is now fully back online following the Saturday attacks

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/17/saudi-energy-minister-says-oil-supply-is-fully-back-online.html

I guess the damage wasn't as bad as it initially appeared or the press just went chicken little on us (well that never happens :wink: )

I suspect there will still be a couple of dollars fear premium left in place at least until things quite down, which they almost always do.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 14:34:39

One thing Trump is really good at is manipulating situations to his benefit. His means and measures are not always obvious. But it’s a mistake to discount him just because what he is doing seems foolish.

Of course it may end up being foolish but that remains to be seen.

All that said I get the impression the man is NOT a war hawk, I believe he seeks to avoid it.

And maybe he is just playing a waiting game:
Let world opinion turn against Iran
Let the rest of the world feel some pain and then help him on the Iranian problem
Or maybe he just wants time to put the right forces in the right position to make the right attack

No one knows, stay tuned for the next episode.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 14:58:05

I suppose that's not surprising when you consider just how much oil infrastructure there is in SA, it would need weeks of WWII style carpet bombing to really knock it out to the extent it would be off line for years. Still it could be a year or so to completely rebuild the damaged installations, so I would imagine they're increasing production elsewhere in the short term while they bring the site back on line with reduced capacity.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 15:00:37

OK here is a question for the experts here.

Is or is not the USA the only major power capable of riding out a full on Shit Storm. Not that we would not feel the hurt but whom it would hurt least?

I’m thinking maybe Russia would be in a pretty good place, but surely not India or the EU or China or Japan.

I don’t know and am not picking sides, just asking.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 15:09:58

please show us where the proof that they were launched for Iran came from.

"...for iran came from?" What are you trying to say?

Even though your writing doesn't make any sense, l'm going to assume you are asking for proof that the attack on KSA was launched from Iran --- and then I am going to answer that question.

US offiicials have been saying for two days that Iran was the likely source of the attacks. Now they are confirming that Iran was the source of the attacks on KSA. They have even identified the exact sites in Iran from which the attack was launched.

Saudi oil attacks: Drones and missiles launched from Iran - US

"The US has ... identified locations in Iran from which drones and cruise missiles were launched against major Saudi oil facilities on Saturday.
Senior US officials told media outlets that the locations were in southern Iran, at the northern end of the Gulf.
Saudi air defences did not stop the drones and missiles because they were pointed southwards, to prevent attacks from Yemen, they added.

I have answered your question. Would you please now answer a few questions for me?

Do you understand that the sites in southern Iran from which the attacks on KSA were launched are in Iran?
Do you understand that there are Iranians in Iran?
Do you understand that this means Iran was involved in the attacks launched from Iran by Iranians against KSA?

CHEERS!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 15:55:20

The US has ... identified locations in Iran from

funny how you left out the key word "reportedly" replacing it with some dashes. :roll:

A rumor posted in a newspaper is not confirmed when no actual source is identified (how about some names or an official comment). I guess the rest of us will wait for an actual statement from the Whitehouse. As I said the official view from Trump so far is he isn't sure. Perhaps that has changed but it certainly hasn't been made official.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 16:09:53

....a newspaper ...

The BBC isn't a newspaper.

Its bad enough you don't know that there are Iranians in Iran, but not knowing what the BBC is seems even more ridiculous to me :-D :) :lol: :roll:

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 16:32:31

The BBC isn't a newspaper.

Its bad enough you don't know that there are Iranians in Iran, but not knowing what the BBC is seems even more ridiculous to me

I see you enjoy being thought of as a moron....well keep at it, your doing a good job. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 18:20:11

...moron....

First you post foolish things, then you post childish things. :lol:

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 20:09:44

Can we stop this please. The repetition is BORING!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 20:22:41

Newfie wrote:Can we stop this please. The repetition is BORING!

Amen.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 18 Sep 2019, 07:16:59

OR It’s just baloney meant to calm the market.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 18 Sep 2019, 07:58:45

What's India got to do with it?
India imports nearly 83% of the oil it consumes, making it one of the biggest importers of oil in the world.
Most of its crude oil and cooking gas comes from Iraq and Saudi Arabia.
It used to import more than 10% of its oil from Iran. However, earlier this year, the US pressured India to stop buying Iranian oil after walking out of the nuclear deal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49738375
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 18 Sep 2019, 12:09:05

OR It’s just baloney meant to calm the market.

in this age of instant communication trying to keep production data quiet would be pointless.
Someone is buying the oil and if they aren't getting what they signed up for then that would be reported somewhere. SA will have to meet all their sale obligations and their storage isn't going to get them more than a couple of weeks.
Besides why in the world would the Saudis want to "calm the market"? They have been working with Russia to reduce supply in an attempt to drive prices higher, a constant battle with US production. They want higher prices which come with an "antsy" market. Higher prices would also make their IPO more attractive. I don't see there is any advantage for them in a calm market, unless it is a calm market with low supply and high demand.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 18 Sep 2019, 14:09:53

Saudi officials display fragments of Iranian drones and cruise missiles used in the recent attack on oil facilities in KSA

iran-saudi-attack-

Now there is direct physical evidence of Iran's involvement in the attack on KSA.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion