Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Republican (general) Thread pt 5

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Republican (general) Thread pt 5

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 08:25:33

Plantagenet wrote:
Ibon wrote: The R party is using white supremacy as a campaign tool to rally their base.

Do you mean by the Rs calling for the schools to open?

Are you endorsing the claim by a leading black D that Rs calling for the schools to be re-opened is just more "white supremacy" and is the same as slavery?

reopening-schools-is-white-supremacist-ideology-and-slavery

I certainly hope you endorse this D position, because then this will be my laugh of the day. Everyday something at peak oil makes me laugh out loud....perhaps this discussion will be my "laugh of the day" for today!

Thanks and Cheers!

It is long overdo to re open schools. I wonder why you changed the subject?
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 09:34:07

Ibon wrote:Geez man, have they no redeeming qualities left anymore?

It is "end stage republicanism", they jumped the shark and it ate the party.

I think you mentioned the "autopsy" they performed. Seems to me they were right in deciding that mittens was the wrong look for the party, rich white statesman no longer cut it when you had a foil in Obama that Goldwater could have only dreamt of. And where else were they to go? W wasn't exactly the idol of American college dorms and Clinton had occupied the right-of-center lane...
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 18:55:18

Ibon wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:
Ibon wrote: The R party is using white supremacy as a campaign tool to rally their base.

Do you mean by the Rs calling for the schools to open?

Are you endorsing the claim by a leading black D that Rs calling for the schools to be re-opened is just more "white supremacy" and is the same as slavery?

reopening-schools-is-white-supremacist-ideology-and-slavery

I certainly hope you endorse this D position, because then this will be my laugh of the day. Everyday something at peak oil makes me laugh out loud....perhaps this discussion will be my "laugh of the day" for today!

Thanks and Cheers!

It is long overdo to re open schools. I wonder why you changed the subject?

I agree its long overdo to re open schools. I wonder why you don't know what the subject is?

Some teachers union officials and extremist Ds are claiming it is white supremacy and modern slavery to re-open the schools.

If you follow that line of thought you and I and Joe Biden and the evil Rs and anyone else who want to reopen schools are all white supremacists and slavery supporters for wanting to open the schools.

I glad you agree with me that those union leaders and extremist D who are trying to keep the schools closed are misguided.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 19:12:34

Plant, if you are interested in a robust effective R party that can address real issues you would join me and Liz Cheney in recognizing that the branding of the party in its association with white supremacy is harmful.

If you do not recognize this then maybe you actually want to see this association? It seems like you do not want to see this issue addressed.

Then you might see this association as positive for the party?

Please explain better your denial of white supremacy as a dangerous branding for the R party.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aadbrd » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 12:31:56

Also how do evangelicals reconcile their faith with worshipping the equivalent of a golden calf?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/26/politics ... index.html
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby aadbrd » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 15:57:24

This man should be the future of the party rather than a pariah.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ow/618156/
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 21:24:03

Ibon wrote:Plant, if you are interested in a robust effective R party that can address real issues you would join me and Liz Cheney......

Sorry, but I'm not joining you and Liz Cheney in the R party. As I've explained many times, I am not an R or a D. I'm a critic of both parties.

I do think its important that we have at least two effective parties in the USA, but its doesn't have to the Ds and and the Rs. I mostly vote for the Green party, and so I would be happy to see the Ds and the Greens, for instance, become the two main parties. For that matter, there could be multiple parties effective at once.

Personally, I think its very possible that the Rs will self-destruct in the next couple of election cycles now that they seem intent on continuing to tie their fortunes to Donald Trump.

And, IMHO, the only thing that will save the Rs isn't Liz Cheney or even you.....its the likelihood that Biden's will make some boo-boos as president and his policies as president will turn off a good proportion of the electorate and people will have no where to turn but back to the Rs.

The best thing the Rs have going for them now, as they wander the political wilderness, is sniffing old Joe Biden is the president...

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 22:15:44

Plantagenet wrote:
Ibon wrote:Plant, if you are interested in a robust effective R party that can address real issues you would join me and Liz Cheney......

Sorry, but I'm not joining you and Liz Cheney in the R party. As I've explained many times, I am not an R or a D. I'm a critic of both parties.

Says the guy who constantly echoes the R misinformation themes, and constantly whines about the D's, including using plenty of R misinformation themes, poor sources, etc.

Yeah, you're constantly credible re your claims. Kind of like Elon Musk. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 22:35:05

Outcast_Searcher wrote: you're.... Kind of like Elon Musk.

OK. If you say so.

I can go with that.

Yo, good buddy Elon......People keep saying we are kind of alike.......but I'm much better looking then you are......

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aadbrd » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 10:27:57

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Says the guy who constantly echoes the R misinformation themes, and constantly whines about the D's, including using plenty of R misinformation themes, poor sources, etc.

The worst kind of denial to witness is self-denial.
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Mon 01 Mar 2021, 08:38:22

So the headline is the CPAC straw poll for 20204 was 55% trump , 21% Desantis and everyone else <5%

I guess trump will be the gift that keeps giving. His vow to unify the party (around him) and his rejection by half of CPAC is the best news since he lost the election. Him playing kingmaker (read: revenge politics) next year might help the congress move to the Ds a bit more

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 01 Mar 2021, 11:49:06

Pops wrote:I guess trump will be the gift that keeps giving.

Like a bad case of syphilis.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 01 Mar 2021, 12:16:49

In all seriousness, I just perused the headlines of the CPAC meeting. Watching the kowtowing to Trump is a wonder to behold. You have to really acknowledge the lack of real direction or policy objectives of the R party if the best they can come up with is unifying around the Grievance King. What a pathetic party.

Furthermore, they severely underestimate how gerrymandering and suppressing the vote will only empower the opposition to fight back harder.

It's a weird twist. The Trumspters are energized by the fabrication that the election was stolen.
The D voters are energized by actual real attempts on the part of the R party attempting to rig elections by redistricting and voter suppression.

I come back to the sad reality that the R party following Trump will eventually marginlize themselves into a minority that can not build any longer a coalition of moderate voters let alone any of the growing demographics of minorities.

Can they not see the hole they are digging?
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Wed 05 May 2021, 18:41:29

Here is an OpEd from number three in the House republican leadership:

The GOP is at a turning point. History is watching us.

In public statements again this week, former president Donald Trump has repeated his claims that the 2020 election was a fraud and was stolen. His message: I am still the rightful president, and President Biden is illegitimate. Trump repeats these words now with full knowledge that exactly this type of language provoked violence on Jan. 6. And, as the Justice Department and multiple federal judges have suggested, there is good reason to believe that Trump’s language can provoke violence again. Trump is seeking to unravel critical elements of our constitutional structure that make democracy work — confidence in the result of elections and the rule of law. No other American president has ever done this.

The Republican Party is at a turning point, and Republicans must decide whether we are going to choose truth and fidelity to the Constitution. In the immediate wake of the violence of Jan. 6, almost all of us knew the gravity and the cause of what had just happened — we had witnessed it firsthand.

House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) left no doubt in his public remarks. On the floor of the House on Jan. 13, McCarthy said: “The president bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters. He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding.” Now, McCarthy has changed his story.

I am a conservative Republican, and the most conservative of conservative values is reverence for the rule of law. Each of us swears an oath before God to uphold our Constitution. The electoral college has spoken. More than 60 state and federal courts, including multiple Trump-appointed judges, have rejected the former president’s arguments, and refused to overturn election results. That is the rule of law; that is our constitutional system for resolving claims of election fraud.

The question before us now is whether we will join Trump’s crusade to delegitimize and undo the legal outcome of the 2020 election, with all the consequences that might have. I have worked overseas in nations where changes in leadership come only with violence, where democracy takes hold only until the next violent upheaval. America is exceptional because our constitutional system guards against that. At the heart of our republic is a commitment to the peaceful transfer of power among political rivals in accordance with law. President Ronald Reagan described this as our American “miracle.”

While embracing or ignoring Trump’s statements might seem attractive to some for fundraising and political purposes, that approach will do profound long-term damage to our party and our country. Trump has never expressed remorse or regret for the attack of Jan. 6 and now suggests that our elections, and our legal and constitutional system, cannot be trusted to do the will of the people. This is immensely harmful, especially as we now compete on the world stage against Communist China and its claims that democracy is a failed system.

For Republicans, the path forward is clear.

First, support the ongoing Justice Department criminal investigations of the Jan. 6 attack. Those investigations must be comprehensive and objective; neither the White House nor any member of Congress should interfere.

Second, we must support a parallel bipartisan review by a commission with subpoena power to seek and find facts; it will describe for all Americans what happened. This is critical to defeat the misinformation and nonsense circulating in the press and on social media. No currently serving member of Congress — with an eye to the upcoming election cycle — should participate. We should appoint former officials, members of the judiciary and other prominent Americans who can be objective, just as we did after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The commission should be focused on the Jan. 6 attacks. The Black Lives Matter and antifa violence of last summer was illegal and reprehensible, but it is a different problem with a different solution.

Finally, we Republicans need to stand for genuinely conservative principles, and steer away from the dangerous and anti-democratic Trump cult of personality. In our hearts, we are devoted to the American miracle. We believe in the rule of law, in limited government, in a strong national defense, and in prosperity and opportunity brought by low taxes and fiscally conservative policies.

There is much at stake now, including the ridiculous wokeness of our political rivals, the irrational policies at the border and runaway spending that threatens a return to the catastrophic inflation of the 1970s. Reagan formed a broad coalition from across the political spectrum to return America to sanity, and we need to do the same now. We know how. But this will not happen if Republicans choose to abandon the rule of law and join Trump’s crusade to undermine the foundation of our democracy and reverse the legal outcome of the last election.

History is watching. Our children are watching. We must be brave enough to defend the basic principles that underpin and protect our freedom and our democratic process. I am committed to doing that, no matter what the short-term political consequences might be.

Liz Cheney

Republicans are totally off the rails, lying with their eyes open as another writer put it. Desperate to keep the reality show alive—without it they might be forced to govern and they can't.

I'm likely on the opposite end of the spectrum from Liz Cheney on many if not most issues but she has my respect for possessing more backbone than the entire caucus combined. Remember McCain telling the sweet little old Y'all Quida trump woman that Obama wasn't Arabic? She's like that and gets to go out with her head up, rather than her nose...

Salute!
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 05 May 2021, 19:44:41

Pops wrote:Republicans are totally off the rails.....I'm likely on the opposite end of the spectrum from Liz Cheney on many if not most issues but she has my respect....Remember McCain....

Salute!

You seem very confused. First you bash the Rs, then you say you respect some Rs.

Hmmm.....soo in actuality the evil Rs aren't all evil as you claim.

How could that possibly be?

May I suggest to you that Rs are just like Ds. Some are good, some are bad, and some are terrible.

Perhaps you should refine your thinking and realize that you approve some Rs and disapprove of others.

Then, eventually, you might also realize that you approve of some Ds and disapprove of others.

And at that moment when you finally abandon your mindless partisanship, you will have achieved a small modicum of wisdom.

Both the Ds and the Rs have some good people and some bad people. AHA! A moment of ENLIGHTENMENT!!!!

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aadbrd » Wed 05 May 2021, 22:09:01

Plantagenet wrote:when you finally abandon your mindless partisanship

From you?

aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 05 May 2021, 23:00:01

aadbrd wrote:From you?

It has to be from me.

You are a true believer that that the Ds are paragons of goodness and always try to say and do the right thing.

You haven't achieved enlightenment and realized that both parties have some good people and some bad people, and both parties advocate some good policies and some bad policies.

And just to make it more complicated, the parties sometimes switch sides......so some things that the Ds supported back in the 60s and were opposed by the Rs are now supported by the Rs and opposed by the Ds.

Start with the fact that the Ds are the party that advocated for slavery and Jim Crow. The Ds are the party that passed laws to segregated southern states. The Ds are the party that re-segregated the civil service. The Ds are the party that overlapped with the KKK, with several D senators later being unmasked as leaders and high officials in the KKK.

The were always SOME Ds who supported civil rights and those Ds used to believe that civil rights struggle was all about making the US colorblind so everyone could be equal. But now the Ds are saying the US is a racist country and white people are racist and police are racist and the Biden administration is actually giving money just to black farmers, for instance, while denying the same benefits to white farmers. Ds in Oakland are providing special benefits to poor black people while denying the same benefits to poor white people, purely because of the color of their skin. Today its the Rs who are advocating for the US to be colorblind and for everyone to be treated equally while the Ds are literally the new racists.

And how about the Ds used to think that higher income people should pay higher taxes? But now many Ds want to lower property taxes on wealthy people who live in million dollars homes so they can pay lower taxes. Again, its the Ds who have flip flopped on this issue 180°.

How does a D partisan like you not notice that your party has shifted its position 180*? You are like one of the benighted people in 1984 who just shift their viewpoints right along with the latest shift in party line from Big Brother.

Thats why being a true believer and a hard-core partisan of the Ds ....the way you and Pops are......just shows you haven't been paying attention.

Follow the D party line, mos/ennui/ash/oddbrd.........no need to think independently........just wait for the latest line from on high and then put your head down and follow the new party line.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 06 May 2021, 17:19:08

This is the Republican thread and Plant still rants about Democrats. Sheesh.

So, the Republicans are in the news as much as Democrats lately. The Republican are accomplishing their internal purge with Liz Cheney now their current target. Republicans are not trying to negotiate with Dems on anything (hey, we knew that all along anyway, but sometimes they did say if only the Dems would compromise, but they're no longer doing that because they refuse to offer anything, as if any offering would be political suicide for them). They are their own death cult it appears.

House Leaders Prepare To Purge Liz Cheney
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-liz-cheney-authoritarian-lies_n_609304cfe4b02e74d22f282b

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell just said that there will not be one single Republican vote in support of President Joe Biden's infrastructure plan
https://www.alternet.org/2021/05/mcconnell-destroy-gop/

'Foxitus': Another Capitol attacker is blaming Fox News for radicalizing him into terrorism
https://www.rawstory.com/capitol-attacker-blames-fox-news/

All one needs to read are the headlines. That last one is interesting, as I think News organizations ought to be held accountable as well.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 06 May 2021, 20:05:15

jedrider wrote: The Republicans are accomplishing their internal purge with Liz Cheney now their current target.

So let's hope they succeed in purging her.

Purging a woman with ovaries.

Let's see how that goes over with white suburban women.
Let's see how that goes over with educated Republicans
Let's see how that goes over with the remaining moderates.

Republican strategy can be summed up quite simply. Stay loyal to a racist divisive mysoginyst X president who lost the last election fair and sqaure, a one term grievance baiting loser.

Their loyalty only demonstrates in the starkest and clearest terms what I claimed already 2 years ago. Those Republican senators and House member perform felatio on this ex president every single day and these cock suckers are proud of it!

Geez.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 06 May 2021, 20:20:07

Moderate Republicans are going to become Democrats before long. There goes the neighborhood!
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion