Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Pressurized Air Car?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: compressed air car

Unread postby kolm » Mon 23 Apr 2007, 05:38:01

JPL wrote:Compressed air is a really interesting means of power storage - also of transmission if you get the technology right. It's used extensively today, in engineering workshops and also the mining industry.

Of course it is used. It is used in those places where you don't want any sparks, no matter how inefficient or cumbersome your alternate storage is. CAS was tried also on personal cars, but soon abandoned; it is way too inefficient and costly (all this high pressure and changing temepratures take their toll on equipment).

Perhaps the best-known historical application was Brunel's 'Atmospheric Railway' which used a vacuum-pipe to suck the trains along.
He had major problems with the infrastructure (over 150 years ago, mind) but I think most of these problems could be solved with modern materials.

I'd rather think he had major problems with some fundamental principles of physics and engineering, and those are the same now. First of all, the energy density of vacuum-induced pressure is lousy, meaning that your acceleration will be very slow. Second, materials are available which can withstand continuous vaccum, but would cost dearly. Third, maintenance would be problematic; if there's a leakage or a simple malfunction, not only the single train won't move, but no train on this part of the railway. Fourth, operation of trains at track switches would be awkward at best. And last, the competition with electricity-driven trains kills the technology in the cradle.
kolm
Peat
Peat

Unread postby JPL » Mon 23 Apr 2007, 18:00:01

kolm wrote:I'd rather think he had major problems with some fundamental principles of physics and engineering, and those are the same now. First of all, the energy density of vacuum-induced pressure is lousy, meaning that your acceleration will be very slow. Second, materials are available which can withstand continuous vaccum, but would cost dearly. Third, maintenance would be problematic; if there's a leakage or a simple malfunction, not only the single train won't move, but no train on this part of the railway. Fourth, operation of trains at track switches would be awkward at best. And last, the competition with electricity-driven trains kills the technology in the cradle.

If I remember my college notes, I think the biggest problem Brunel had was braking the damn things. They used to shoot right past the station with everyone shouting 'Woah!'

Issues like these are solveable. But I also agree with your point that a vaccum-pipe is limited to a pressure-difference of 15 PSI (atmospheric pressure). But I still think it's an interesting idea. Apparently the trains were almost totally silent and also very fast for their day (remember we are talking early 19'th century).

JPL
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby yesplease » Mon 23 Apr 2007, 23:01:44

JRP3 wrote:Aaron's right. Compressing air then decompressing it to run a motor is really inefficient. They also are way optimistic on their range estimates, they have not achieved anything close to that.

Depends on use I suppose. MDI explicitly states that the model are for use in an urban setting, meaning city and only city. And, supposedly, their range estimates match up with this type of vehicle use.

MDI wrote:The development of our vehicles has been the result of thousands of hours of research. The engines and prototypes have been the object of countless tests and trials. The car's driving range has been tested under various conditions (different temperatures and payloads). All of this is what makes the utopia real. Numerous experts examined the car before agreeing to take part in the project and it has also been shown on television programs around the world. At the same time the car is available for viewing by anyone who wishes to see it.

It's efficiency is roughly half to a third that of an EV. On the other hand, it doesn't require costly periodic battery replacements, and is cheaper to produce. In countries like France, where they have stable and significant electricity production from fission, as well as export electricity, the air car would likely make for a nearly pollution free, economical form of urban transportation.
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kolm » Tue 24 Apr 2007, 06:25:40

yesplease wrote:
JRP3 wrote:Aaron's right. Compressing air then decompressing it to run a motor is really inefficient. They also are way optimistic on their range estimates, they have not achieved anything close to that.

Depends on use I suppose. MDI explicitly states that the model are for use in an urban setting, meaning city and only city. And, supposedly, their range estimates match up with this type of vehicle use.

I really liked the idea when I first saw it, nice concept. But not more than that. Their range estimates are the only truly impressive usage of condensed hot air I saw on their pages. Read

http://www.theaircar.com/tests.html

Their protoype ran for 7.22 km. They designed a prototype, set in on the street with full 'tank', and the car would run (from the sketches I'd assume straightforward with at most two stops) for 7.22km. That's the hard facts they can provide. (By the way, this 'test' took place years ago, and they did not, repeat, did not, publish any improvements over this number.)

Then they do very suspicious number juggling and get the result that the 'corrected distance' (I'm not making this up) is 242.10 km.

Unless you care more about engineering fantasies than about the real world, you should take good distance from such 'corrected results'.

They don't even play on the same continent than EV now, and most probably they never will, appealing concept or not.
kolm
Peat
Peat

Unread postby yesplease » Sat 05 May 2007, 16:15:05

Well, it really depends on the validity of their assertions, which would need to be evaluated individually. Engineering fantasies or not, I wouldn't hold my breath, but I also wouldn't knock them w/o much more concrete information. Engineering fantasies are generally viable, if the consumer accepts the limitations, which they usually don't. For instance, most people wouldn't want to drive a 3L Lupo even if it got ~80mpg combined because they don't consider the compromises made to get the car to ~80mpg acceptable, however, if oil were ~$100-150/bbl, more people would probably accept it.
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Sat 05 May 2007, 16:48:33

That's precisely why aerodynamics should be significantly improved so we can shove a big fucking V8 into a midsize car and allow people to still get 35+ mpg while allowing 0-60 mph < 5 seconds. And we could also have 80 mpg midsize cars with diesels that still do 0-60 mph in 11 seconds.

Consumers in the US would gladly embrace efficiency then, and both the above are feasible today. The only ones averse to the idea are those running the auto industry, completely unwilling to leapfrog their technology, wanting to sell everything in-between. This is the same industry that decided consumers shouldn't be able to buy EVs, even if they wanted them and even though the technoogy for long range has been here for 10 years, and thus mass EV adoption had been set back 15+ years(if it will ever occur at all).
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby yesplease » Sat 05 May 2007, 18:08:32

That is definitely not feasible today! If the auto industry starts building V8s that get ~35mpg combined, they may as well throw in the towel completely, because 150mile lead acid powered EVs at ~2 cents per mile are right around the corner with those rolling shells. :razz:

The auto industry builds inefficient cars for two reasons. Every inefficient car drives up the price of gasoline/oil because the stuff is incredibly inelastic, and when gas does go to $6+/gal, they'll be able to make "breakthroughs" in automobile efficiency. :lol:
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Mesuge » Sat 05 May 2007, 21:55:44

Hey Toe,
I've heard perhaps on the EVlist or somewhere recently that actualy one specific size of NiMh Ovonics has not been part of that Chevron-Cobasys patent scam.

It should be a 30Ah model. So if you run it in paralel sub arrangement and in high voltage system -> 200-300V in ultralight car that't might be a option on the US market..
DOOMerotron: at all-time high [8.3] out of 10..
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Mesuge » Sun 06 May 2007, 06:19:49

The big oil NiMH conspiracy is also described here, from the angle of allowed smaller Ovonic NiMh 30Ah packs such as for the electric bikes/scootes like Vectrix:

http://www.ei2025.org/previous_editorial.asp?e=103
http://www.zevltd.com/default.aspx?portal=1&page=63

If anyone can get a non OEM pricing from Gold Peak Batteries or other licensees for these smaller cells that would be great.
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby yesplease » Sun 06 May 2007, 10:51:32

That's a pack, and is likely composed of a bunch of 1/3AA 280mAh batteries, which don't fall under the licensing BS of EV sized batteries iirc. Now, the problem with packs is that bad cells can screw things up, but as long as it's tested, and a company can get bulk prices and charge ~$1000-1500/pack with a 1700 80%dod warranty, I'd rock it. Make for a great EV conversion at ~2-4 cents per mile.
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Mesuge » Sun 06 May 2007, 11:38:19

The point is that these are the NiMH Ovonics, here as 1.2V@30Ah cells!!!
At least 1500cycles, 15yrs life, robust no giant BMS required etc.. Tested for years, gazillion km driven..

Which are sort of not far from the boundary of automotive application feasibility. They would work in light cars in 300V or 500V system voltage or in some lower voltage serial-paralel system..

They will certainly work in motorcycles and scooters,
that's why Vectrix is using them.

Toyota RAV EV4 and other big japanese or american EVs were using the same Ovonics in the form of bigger 95Ah cells which are banned from full BEV operated mode in automotive application by the e.v.i.l. oilies-bushevics at least till January 2015..
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kolm » Thu 10 May 2007, 10:32:26

The_Toecutter wrote:That's precisely why aerodynamics should be significantly improved so we can shove a big fucking V8 into a midsize car and allow people to still get 35+ mpg while allowing 0-60 mph < 5 seconds. And we could also have 80 mpg midsize cars with diesels that still do 0-60 mph in 11 seconds.

We had. Audi produced a 3l/100km car (which is around 80mpg, if I calculated correctly), the A2, 1.2l. It was and still is leading in reliability statistics (google for "Pannenstatistik, ADAC"), it had c_w value of 0.25, it was quite affordable, 5 doors, aluminium-based chassis, won several awards, and was dropped by Audi in 2005 because people simply didn't want to buy it, compaining that it would be "ugly".

There is more to this problem than just the evil car companies.
kolm
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Mesuge » Thu 10 May 2007, 11:59:34

Please enlight me how ICE based AUDI A2 has any relevance to that clearly executed demise of the EV programe in the US by conservative branch of the auto industry, the oilies, and their cronies in the fed. government like Card, Cheney and Bush.. ???

There were big waiting lists for EVs in Calif.

Have you ever had the the opportunity to drive or take a ride in EV?
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kolm » Tue 15 May 2007, 06:04:04

Mesuge wrote:Please enlight me how ICE based AUDI A2 has any relevance to that clearly executed demise of the EV programe in the US by conservative branch of the auto industry, the oilies, and their cronies in the fed. government like Card, Cheney and Bush.. ???`

Nothing. This is one of the reasons I posted it as a reply to a claim of Toecutter's about how US consumers would embrace fuel efficient cars if we only had some available, and not as a reply to any remark about the EV programme.

But if you insist on this topic: Managers of car companies will always follow the money, preferring the easiest and safest way to make it. All big companies are inherently risk-avoiding. In my point of view, they discarded the EV that time not because of a conspiration with big oil, but simply because it meant a new, relatively risky business (uncertain acceptance in general public, potential of rather spectacular battery failures or simply design fumbles due to inexperience) which would mostly eat away profits from their own traditional business.

There were big waiting lists for EVs in Calif.

Are you talking hundreds of people? Thousands? Tens of thousands? I believe that while a company might be perfectly willing to manufacture and sell some hundred quasi-experimental cars (almost every major company did this one time or the other), they might be quite unwilling to commit themselves to step up the production and bind real money and personel to the effort for longer time - unless they are reasonably certain they will sell hundreds of thousands of the damn thing. (Well, tens of thousands at the very least.)

Have you ever had the the opportunity to drive or take a ride in EV?

Of course, they're neat. I currently wait for a chance to get a good, affordable one.
kolm
Peat
Peat

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Mon 21 May 2007, 01:16:58

We had. Audi produced a 3l/100km car (which is around 80mpg, if I calculated correctly), the A2, 1.2l. It was and still is leading in reliability statistics (google for "Pannenstatistik, ADAC"), it had c_w value of 0.25, it was quite affordable, 5 doors, aluminium-based chassis, won several awards, and was dropped by Audi in 2005 because people simply didn't want to buy it, compaining that it would be "ugly".

The 'looks' weren't the half of it.

a) It was overpriced. People who buy subcompacts usually don't intend to pay £13,495. That's getting close to the price of a Prius.
b) It was a subcompact. People want midsize or even luxury cars for the price the A2 was going for.
c) It was only made for the European market, so of course it's not going to sell near as well as competitors that have their competing models for sale in Asia and Australia too.

The Audi A2 3L got about 70 mpg US. If you'd have gotten rid of all the aluminum bullshit and used a larger 120+ horsepower diesel and kept the slightly improved aerodynamics, it would have still gotten about 55-60 mpg. The use of aluminum shaved off only about 50 pounds, yet added greatly to expense.

Further, the VW Lupo was virtually the same car, without the aluminum body and without the large seating capacity, yet it vastly outsold the A2. Why? Lower price, similar performance and fuel economy. It also achieved a .29 Cd, yet had vastly different styling than the A2.

The .25 Cd of the A2 isn't much of a leapfrog in aerodynamic efficiency, given that the average for cars of the time was about .33. A .25 Cd was actually achievable early last century. The 1927 Rumpler Trophenwagen achieved a .27, the 1933 Dymaxion achieved a .25, the 1935 Tatra T77a achieved a .21, the 1951 Hotchkiss Gregiore achieved a .26, the 1953 Alfa Romeo BAT7 achieved a .19, the 1985 Ford Probe V achieved a .137, the 1995 Dodge Intrepid ESX2 achieved a .19, 2000 Ford Prodigy a .20, and the 2000 GM Precept achieved a .16. All of these were cars capable of seating at least 4 people(some of them more).

In fact, the Intrepid ESX2 looks almost stylistically identical to the Intrepid model Dodge sold in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Yet the model Dodge actually sold had a Cd of .30, compared to the .19 of the concept. You see, there are many subtle changes you can make to the shape of a car's body that can dramatically reduce drag, without noticably altering the car's styling cues. The auto industry widely refuses to sell a car with such a low drag body, however, even though they need not too dramatically alter the style. Some of the obvious, non-style altering differences between the ESX2 concept and the Intrepid Dodge was willing to sell was that the ESX2 had a bellypan and a grille that wasn't open as much. Those two changes taken together can impact a midsize car's Cd by 15-25%, with no other modifications. Another large difference is the finess ratio of the ESX2's rear versus that of the Intrepid sold. The ESX2 achieved the optimum value(6:1) while the Intrepid sold deliberately eschewed it. If you look at both cars from the side without measuring, you almost can't even tell any difference in the rear profile.

Google Image search the Ford Prodigy. It looks near identical to the Ford Fusion sold today, yet has about 50% less drag(.20 Cd versus the .33 of the Fusion). The GM Precept, with its .16 Cd, arguably looks more 'normal' than a Prius with its .26 Cd. Then there's the Intrepid ESX2 that looks very similar to the one Dodge marketed and sold here, yet again had a huge reduction in drag.

It's actually possible to get down to a .20 Cd without significantly altering a midsize car's body style, and possible to get down to a .15 or so if you significantly alter style.

The thing is, less drag induced at speed means less power required to maintain speed, which correlates with less maintenance. An industry seeking to maximize returns to investors is not going to be thrilled with the concept of selling the public cars that are vastly cheaper to run than the cars of today nor are they thrilled with the concept of offering the best product possible since that will kill any opportunity to sell transition products in between.

Cars today already have all the same stylistic cues an ultra-aerodynamic car would have, minus wheel skirts. The only difference is that cars today deliberately aren't designed for low drag, but they are designed to look like they have low drag and are designed moreso by accountants than by engineers. I've even talked to aerodynamacists who have told me that accountants in these companies will deliberately remove a $5 bellypan, increasing the Cd of a car by 10-15%, just to add that $5 to the gross profit margin per car sold. Even the early Prius models ignored something as obvious as a full bellypan, in favor of a partial one installed in the front only. Even the new Honda Civic Hybrid could use some improvements underneath which could add 2+ mpg without even changing the look or practicality of the car.

While it is fair to pin some blame on consumers for not wanting ugly cars, low drag cars need not be ugly. Instead of designing cars to bring maximized profit margins, the industry could actually make an attempt to satisfy consumers for a change without forcing consumers to compromise. It's possible, but it's not the solution that maximized revenue.

Managers of car companies will always follow the money, preferring the easiest and safest way to make it. All big companies are inherently risk-avoiding. In my point of view, they discarded the EV that time not because of a conspiration with big oil, but simply because it meant a new, relatively risky business (uncertain acceptance in general public, potential of rather spectacular battery failures or simply design fumbles due to inexperience) which would mostly eat away profits from their own traditional business.

This risk avoidance tendacy is a huge problem, and is precisely why it is a bad idea for the governments of the world to take their campaign contributions and over-regulate smaller competing automakers out of business. Since that has been done, consumers just don't have a choice.

The 'conspiracy' between the oil industry and the auto industry pertaining to EVs is quite well documented, and is certainly a significant contributing factor as to why we can't buy them today.

Acceptance to the general public, at least where the electric cars were going to be marketed, was there. A study titled "The current and Future Market for Electric Vehicles" found that the market in California for an EV with at least 80 miles range, capability to cruise on the freeway with traffic, and comparable purchase price to a similar gasoline powered car was at least 150,000 sales per year, and 12-18% of the new car market in California with a 95% confidence interval. The technology present at the time the study was conducted was allowing 150+ miles range, faster acceleration performance than comparable gas cars, and a slightly lower production cost in mass production than comparable gas cars.
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kolm » Mon 21 May 2007, 08:41:31

The_Toecutter wrote:

The 'looks' weren't the half of it.

a) It was overpriced. People who buy subcompacts usually don't intend to pay £13,495. That's getting close to the price of a Prius.

I do not see a single relevant spec where the Prius prevails. I do see a (IMHO mostly irrational) plaque stating that the A2 is "subcompact", which in some mysterious way is supposed to mean the Prius can be sold for more money.

b) It was a subcompact. People want midsize or even luxury cars for the price the A2 was going for.

However, people gracefully bought Mercedes' A class, which has a similar price tag and is really subcompact (if this word means anything at all).

c) It was only made for the European market, so of course it's not going to sell near as well as competitors that have their competing models for sale in Asia and Australia too.

I do not understand this logic. Do you assume that for some reason the percentage in market penetration would have been higher in Asia?

The Audi A2 3L got about 70 mpg US. If you'd have gotten rid of all the aluminum bullshit

The following sounds like you're convinced that one could build much better cars much cheaper. This might be true, but (I think) is a little beside the point.

The thing is, less drag induced at speed means less power required to maintain speed, which correlates with less maintenance.

How strongly? I would off-handedly guess that most maintenance comes from leakages, rust, soft/hardware failures, mechanical stuff like gear shifting and the like, and very few maintenance events are directly related to the amount of horse power needed. (At least this is my experience with driving a lot in older cars and witnessing people's troubles with newer cars.)

Instead of designing cars to bring maximized profit margins, the industry could actually make an attempt to satisfy consumers for a change without forcing consumers to compromise. It's possible, but it's not the solution that maximized revenue.

Then no conspiration of any sort is needed to explain the absence of low-drag cars.

Managers of car companies will always follow the money, preferring the easiest and safest way to make it. All big companies are inherently risk-avoiding. In my point of view, they discarded the EV that time not because of a conspiration with big oil, but simply because it meant a new, relatively risky business (uncertain acceptance in general public, potential of rather spectacular battery failures or simply design fumbles due to inexperience) which would mostly eat away profits from their own traditional business.

This risk avoidance tendacy is a huge problem, and is precisely why it is a bad idea for the governments of the world to take their campaign contributions and over-regulate smaller competing automakers out of business. Since that has been done, consumers just don't have a choice.
[/quote]

Living in the heart of Europe, I have a choice from car makers from over twenty countries. Was there governmental over-regulation in all of those countries? (I honestly do not know.)

The 'conspiracy' between the oil industry and the auto industry pertaining to EVs is quite well documented, and is certainly a significant contributing factor as to why we can't buy them today.

I am always suspicious about monolithic world-views. If GM canned the electric car, why should VW, say, not jump in, just to spit in GM's eye? The car makers are fighting (at least in Europe) pretty badly for market shares, and it would seem patently absurd to me if they gathered to agree conspiratively upon not to enter a new, promising market niche.

While there might be bilateral agreement between some car manufacturers and some oil companies, the other manufacturers simply did not take much care. VW built 200 Citystromer once, then (I was told) basically lost interest because they could not get richer with EVs than with ICEs.

Acceptance to the general public, at least where the electric cars were going to be marketed, was there. A study titled "The current and Future Market for Electric Vehicles" found that the market in California for an EV with at least 80 miles range, capability to cruise on the freeway with traffic, and comparable purchase price to a similar gasoline powered car was at least 150,000 sales per year, and 12-18% of the new car market in California with a 95% confidence interval.

The only study with this name I could find uses survey data from 2000; is this the one you mean? In this case, it is stated that the respondents were explained a lot about cost and maintenance before being asked a question. While this is not immoral, it is generally frowned upon in survey studies; mostly because everyone knows that answers to such "prepared" questions might not be reliable (ask him in a week, without "preparation", he will tell you something completely different). This is because you can convince (in short terms) an undecided person very easily, but this conviction will usually not hold out for long, particularly since it is not "stress-tested".

I do not say that there would not be a good market niche for EVs, I just point out that any market analyst would label this results as not too reliable (95% confidence is not helping here :roll: ).

The technology present at the time the study was conducted was allowing 150+ miles range, faster acceleration performance than comparable gas cars, and a slightly lower production cost in mass production than comparable gas cars.

Well, I'd love to buy such a thing, where can I sign?
kolm
Peat
Peat

Unread postby gg3 » Mon 21 May 2007, 08:56:46

Just as I was about to throw up my hands over the $5 bellypan and the idiot beancounter who nixed it, and call for putting a government engineer in there to say "no you don't!" and order the bellypan re-attached....

...along comes TC with the necessary reminder: deregulate the small auto makers. YES!!!

Never add regulations when subtracting them and letting market forces go to work will do the job equally well or better.

We already have tax and regulatory relief in other industries where the national interest (or some porker's snout in the right feeding trough) justifies it.

So here's a practical question:

How would we structure the deregulation incentives? For example how many cars per year before an auto maker is moved to the "regular" category and subjected to regular regulation? What level of fuel efficiency to trade off for what level of deregulation? And how far do we want to go in terms of cutting back on safety standard related regulation?

There are plenty of older cars still on the road that wouldn't meet modern crash tests and so on, but no one is calling for taking them off the road. So somewhere there is a compromise point, for example "approximately equivalent to an old VW beetle." Insurance rates for these cars would probably be higher, if you want full coverage for passengers in a crash; but liability coverage for damage to others' vehicles (and passengers) wouldn't go up significantly.

Perhaps we need an "experimental vehicles" category for these? And of course there should be some kind of disclosure to prospective buyers, to give them an informed choice.

On the other hand, as Zap Motors figured out, 3 wheels makes it a motorcycle, so there is a basis for accessing at least part of the market.

In any case, a deregulated category will piss off the majors and force them to compete for real. And when those small automakers go IPO, there will be plenty of profit for investors. Win-win solution all'round, even if it gives the majors indigestion for a few years.
gg3
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JRP3 » Mon 21 May 2007, 09:11:17

kolm wrote:I am always suspicious about monolithic world-views. If GM canned the electric car, why should VW, say, not jump in, just to spit in GM's eye?

Maybe because GM controlled the only viable battery technology at the time, (Ovonic NiMH), sued Panasonic so that they could no longer sell competing technology, and then sold the patent to Chevron/Texaco, who stopped building the batteries and refused to license the technology to anyone else?
JRP3
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Mesuge » Mon 21 May 2007, 09:50:09

kolm>

1. The prevailing faction inside the GM, plus bushevics and other industrialist killed the EV in the 90's by cooperative efforts, Toe have posted tons of documenting material incl. testimonies of key players like Stan Ovchinski (inventor of NiMH) on this topic. It's just a historical fact. You can deny that WWII happened but it won't be the smartest thing to do..

2. In fact the players on the global automotive market are pretty much differentiated afterall.

a. the US is hellbend on SUVs and gasguzzling "performance" segment, ready for more bankcrupcies and restructuring

b. the EU manufs. are into compacts and diesels, flexfuels, CNG

c. Japanese like Toyota will have milion volume production in hybrids by 2010 across most of their fleet, not only luxury cars. If they decide to make it all plugin hybrid by 2015, most of the a/ and b/ won't be able to catch up without giant lossess in their ICE based manuf. infrustructure. And we know most of the US/EU manuf. didn't make this bold turn prior 2010..

d. Chinese? Big question, they have got the technology and the production base to mass produce EVs now. On the other hand they seemed to catch recently that madness about the 2t sedans and SUVs as well..
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Mon 28 May 2007, 05:14:17

I do not see a single relevant spec where the Prius prevails. I do see a (IMHO mostly irrational) plaque stating that the A2 is "subcompact", which in some mysterious way is supposed to mean the Prius can be sold for more money.

The Prius does 0-60 mph in 10 seconds(compared to the 13 seconds of the Audi A2), has more passenger space than the A2(beating it out in rear leg room, head room, shoulder room), has more trunk space than the A2(Prius has 16.1 ft^3 versus A2 at 13.8 ft^3), gets about the same fuel economy as the A2(Prius at 67.3 mpg imperial while gas A2 gets 56 mpg imperial! The 3L diesel does much better at 93 mpg imp but was very limited production), and the Prius has a slightly higher price tag(Nevermind the ridiculous dealership markups on the A2, often pushing them past the £16k region).

Guess which one consumers are more likely to buy given the choice? Go with car A that gets about the same fuel efficiency as, better acceleration than, more room than, and about the same price as car B, or go with car B?

The A2 was aimed at a market for fuel efficient cars but priced in the territory of luxury and performance cars. While it is an excellent product(I'd love to have one), from the standpoint of a typical consumer, there were 'superior'(as in roomier, faster, bigger) products available that gave similar fuel economy for a similar price.

There is a reason that the VW Lupo faired better than the A2. Lower cost, similar performance and fuel economy to the A2. For what it was, the A2 was overpriced.

However, people gracefully bought Mercedes' A class, which has a similar price tag and is really subcompact (if this word means anything at all).

Yeah. 0-60 mph in 10 seconds, same passenger and cargo room as the A2, and the Mercedes name. Naturally, snobs wealthy enough to drop £14k+ on a car are going to go for snob appeal, performance, and room moreso than fuel economy. People who go for fuel economy usually don't have that kind of money to dump on a car.

Further, the A class sold so many total units worldwide because it was also available in Japan, Australia, South America, Mexico, and Canada. The A-class had about 3 times the potential number of buyers as the A2. Lo and behold, it sold 5 times as many units as the Europe-only Audi A2, which makes a lot of sense when you factor in performance and appeal on top of market range.

The A2 could have foregone all the expensive technology, kept the low drag shape, the small profile, used a larger engine for more performance, and aimed down market like the VW Lupo, and it could have been marketed on a larger scale. It probably would have fared much better while getting roughly the same fuel economy. Observe the Skoda Fabia Elegance Tdi and Peugeot 206 GLX HDI. Both cost ~25% less than the A2, achieved better acceleration performance than the A2, and only got about 10 mpg less according to EU government fuel economy statistics(although the limited production 3L version absolutely killed all of them on fuel economy). These cars didn't share the A2's fate.

I do not understand this logic. Do you assume that for some reason the percentage in market penetration would have been higher in Asia?

No not percentage. I'm saying that more cars would have been sold altogether if the market for the A2 wouldn't have been confined to Europe only.

The following sounds like you're convinced that one could build much better cars much cheaper. This might be true, but (I think) is a little beside the point.

It's not a matter of conviction but a matter of history. It's been done. The Viking Research Institute at Western Washington University has built 70+ mpg 0-60 mph in 5 second supercars back in the 1970s. Auto Industry wouldn't touch them, even though that level of performance was top tier at the time and there certainly would have been demand on that basis alone. In the 1990s, the U.S. government funded the PNGV program, and from that, the big 3 developed 70+ mpg midsize cars with little cost penalty to(in volume), similar styling cues/appearance to, and the same performance as the midsize cars that were on the market at the time. There are individuals who have done non appearance altering aerodynamic modifications to their cars that have improved fuel economy over 20% by that alone, and more could be achieved if they had access to a wind tunnel and a way to create a whole new car body from scratch to make subtle changes to it.

The fact that the auto companies could build much better cars is not beside the point, it is the point. The consumers want everything in the same package for a low price, the auto industry could still do it and make a profit, BUT this strategy doesn't maximize profits and therefore the auto industry flat out refuses. If they did make these cars, they'd go and charge $35k for these cars when the consumers want them for $20k(and a profit could still be made at $20k), and then the auto makers say there's no market when the consumers don't want to pay $35k for them.

How strongly? I would off-handedly guess that most maintenance comes from leakages, rust, soft/hardware failures, mechanical stuff like gear shifting and the like, and very few maintenance events are directly related to the amount of horse power needed. (At least this is my experience with driving a lot in older cars and witnessing people's troubles with newer cars.)

Strongly enough to impact powertrain and transmission maintenance costs more than $.01/mile. When you use less horsepower to maintain a speed, you're needing less torque than you otherwise would, and are thus putting less stress on parts. Decreasing by ½ the amount of torque a transmission routinely sees can mean a lifespan more than 2 times greater for that transmission. Any harmonic effects at cruise would have decreased amplitude and thus less wear is made. This reduced amplitude of harmonics also positively impacts pistons, cranks, valves, belts, ect. These vibrations literally chip and crack these parts, and when you're demanding less power, that stress is reduced.

This is also why people who drive the hell out of their cars end up needing to do more repairs.

Then no conspiration of any sort is needed to explain the absence of low-drag cars.

Perhaps not, but what if it is present anyway?

Living in the heart of Europe, I have a choice from car makers from over twenty countries. Was there governmental over-regulation in all of those countries? (I honestly do not know.)

Maybe, but there is with certainty plenty of regulation in Europe. Try getting a custom EV on the road where you live. I know many people have tried, and the vast majority have failed. Too much red tape and even outright refusal. Further, those car makers from over 20 countries are pretty much owned by a small group of different automakers who control what these companies produce.

Volkswagen owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and Seat.

Renault owns Nissan.

BMW owns Mini, Rolls-Royce.

Daimler/Chrysler owns Dodge, Hyundai(which owns Kia), Jeep, Maybach, Mercedes, and Smart.

Fiat owns Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Lancia, Maserati.

Ford owns Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, and Volvo.

General Motors owns Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Subaru, Suzuki, and Vauxhaul.

Toyota owns Daihatsu.

Then you have Peugeot(which owns Citroen), Honda, and Mitsubishi.

When it really comes down to it, worldwide, about 10 different companies are making almost all of the world's automobiles.

There is a mere appearance of competition and a small variance between marques, but nothing really stands out(unless you have $100,000+ to pay for it).

These same companies all have the same goal: maximize profit. They all lobby for legislation to stall competition from small automakers and prevent them from gaining a foothold, and none of these large companies are enthusiastic about leapfrogging fuel efficiency or offering EVs for sale.

Only one of these large car makers is even considering EVs for mass market, and that's Mitsubishi, and they will do it only in Japan and if and only if the Japanese government subsidizes the EVs to make up for the lower profit margins on each one sold.

Fit whatever explanation you think will fit, but consider that the technology is there, there is demand, it can be affordable. Using Occam's razor, I came to my conclusion after throwing out all those explanations that are false...

I am always suspicious about monolithic world-views. If GM canned the electric car, why should VW, say, not jump in, just to spit in GM's eye? The car makers are fighting (at least in Europe) pretty badly for market shares, and it would seem patently absurd to me if they gathered to agree conspiratively upon not to enter a new, promising market niche.

If VW does that, and markets EVs with lower profit margins, eventually they make less money because people start buying them instead of gas powered cars. Charge $35-40k for that $20k EV to make up for the loss in aftermarket parts and services, and now people won't buy it. Charge $20k, and people buy it, you still get a $3-5k profit margin, but that's down from the $15k profit margin you'd otherwise have from a gasoline car combined with its profit from parts and services. People might first flock to VW and total gross profit would initially be high in a few years, but the other automakers would either start building EVs or go bankrupt, and if they do build EVs, eventually now everyone is stuck building the lower profit margin EVs and some semblance of competition returns. Corporations naturally like to avoid competition.

EVs are a pandoras box of low profit. That is why the majors aren't enthusiastic but all sorts of small, unentrenched companies like Tesla and AC Propulsion are doing all they can to take an opportunity to get them to market. Unfortunately, there's so many regulations lobbied into place by the majors that the small companies will never have the money for the mass production needed to get prices competitive. Tesla built a $100,000 exotic because they no know one is going to pay $100,000 for a family sedan. Volume is everything.

While there might be bilateral agreement between some car manufacturers and some oil companies, the other manufacturers simply did not take much care. VW built 200 Citystromer once, then (I was told) basically lost interest because they could not get richer with EVs than with ICEs.

Could not get richer. That's been my point all along. But they could strill pull a profit on them, if they tried.

All the automakers are looking out for the interests of the shareholders. The consumers don't mean near as much anymore, and with lack of meaningful competition, the consumers are corralled right where the oligopoly wants them.

The only study with this name I could find uses survey data from 2000; is this the one you mean? In this case, it is stated that the respondents were explained a lot about cost and maintenance before being asked a question. While this is not immoral, it is generally frowned upon in survey studies; mostly because everyone knows that answers to such "prepared" questions might not be reliable (ask him in a week, without "preparation", he will tell you something completely different). This is because you can convince (in short terms) an undecided person very easily, but this conviction will usually not hold out for long, particularly since it is not "stress-tested".

I do not say that there would not be a good market niche for EVs,

No less accurate or any different than the market surveys the major automakers use. The market for SUVs in the US was virtually created by such methods along with prolific ad campaigns, when one previously didn't exist.

I just point out that any market analyst would label this results as not too reliable (95% confidence is not helping here

95% confidence interval is usually considered a point of scientific consensus. This is a very basic concept learned in a Probability and Statistics course.

Basically, there was a 95% chance that the immediate market for EVs with ranges of 80 miles per charge, comparable price to gas cars, and capability to reach highway speeds was 12-18% of California's new car sales. 12% of California's new car sales is 150,000 cars per year.

Nevermind the waiting lists of thousands of people wanting to buy electric cars(automakers refused to sell, would only lease) when there were no meaningful advertising campaigns. It spread almost entirely by word of mouth and yet thousands of people had lined up wanting to buy. And this was just in one US state at about 10 or so dealerships.

Dealerships even dissuaded people from leasing them by flat out refusing to talk about the cars and refusing to lease cars sitting on the lot to willing customers.

Those who could lease them were put through a rigorous background check that basically eliminated 95% of potential leesees who otherwise wanted the cars.

Then the auto industry claims that they only leased a few thousand electric cars, when they only made a few thousand and every last one was leased or sold.

Would Hummers or Corvettes have sold if they were never advertised, couldn't be bought, had potential customers harassed when they inquired about the cars, and deliberately restricted supply to a few thousand when demand was much higher still?

Well, I'd love to buy such a thing, where can I sign?

You can't. The large automakers refuse to do it; the small automakers know it's possible but they don't have the resources for mass production to get cost per unit down. Non recurring engineering costs for an automobile, no matter what it is run on, are huge. $200+ million to develop a mass market car that meets strict government regulations, and the crash testing alone can top $40 million. The small companies willing to produce EVs don't have that kind of cash nor any feasible way to accumulate it in a short period of time, and without it, they are stuck hand building their cars which makes them comparable in price to Ferraris and Lamborghinis, no matter how powerful the car and no matter what the battery pack is. If you hand build a 0-60 in 4 second, 250 mile range Li Ion Tesla Roadster and hand build a 0-60 mph in 10 second, 80 mile range lead acid EV, they'll still cost about the same due to per unit labor costs.

Considering the severity of peak oil, any rational person would immediately note that profits should NOT be the key concern in automobile manufacturing and that leapfrogging the technology, while not as profitable as status quo, can still turn a profit. Another solution is needed. Either deregulate the smaller companies so that some semblance of competition can return to the auto industry, and if that's not enacted, MANDATE that consumers have available EVs. Either way will get the job done, and the major automakers would not like either method one bit. The auto industry wants(and mostly has) a 'free market' where shareholders have all the say and consumers, employees, and people affected by the business decisions have little or no say. This is not a free market, it's a rigged market. Either make the market free, or make the regulations fair.
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology