Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The POSITIVE side to Global Warming...

Re: The POSITIVE side to Global Warming...

Unread postby careinke » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 21:26:27

I sat out in my garden this morning, reading how biochar was going to save the world.

It's NOVEMBER! So far, this climate change is not so bad. 8)
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby kiwichick » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 21:41:49

@ careinke......nice garden......and yes global warming will have positives.....mainly for countries which currently have cold winters

like the UK and Ireland, northern European countries , especially the Scandinavian area , apart from Denmark for obvious reasons, Russia, Alaska , Canada , Greenland and Iceland......( did I miss any?)

and in the southern hemisphere the southern extremes of South America, the Australian island , Tasmania, and New Zealand......and Antarctica.

and we see refugees from AGW trying to head away from the equator either north or south

if I was living in Central America I would skip the US and head for Canada
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 21:53:11

Given the large global population and dependence on significant levels of energy and material resources not only for business but even for security and disaster preparedness, then there will obviously be no positive side to global warming.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 23:05:15

Yeah, car. Nice garden. Is that a river in the background? Or a lake?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby careinke » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 23:25:31

dohboi wrote:Yeah, car. Nice garden. Is that a river in the background? Or a lake?

Mayo Cove, on the Lower Puget Sound (salt water).

Nature blessed us with literally millions of oyster spawn this year, should be able to start harvesting next fall. As far as we can tell, this has not happened over the last 100 years (The property has been family owned for that long). It kind of gives me the creeps, as it reminds me of trees throwing out large amounts of cones when they are stressed and just about to die. I hope my hypothesis turns out to be incorrect, and we just got lucky. :)

Maybe it's another positive side to global warming. :)
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 14 Nov 2016, 23:30:23

Nice!

Interesting point.

But yeah, we're keeping on the sunny side here, per commands from Herr Pst! :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=keep+on ... 8&oe=utf-8
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 05:36:35

Found this relevant research in the earlier part of this resurrected thread from years ago.

bluekachina wrote:
Ancient plant life recovered in recent Arctic Ocean sampling cores shows that at the time of the last major global warming, humidity, precipitation levels and salinity of the ocean water altered drastically, along with the elevated temperatures and levels of greenhouse gases, according to a report in the August 10 issue of Nature.

The Arctic Ocean drilling expedition in 2004 allowed scientists to directly measure samples of biological and geological material from the beginning of the Palaeocene/Eocene thermal maximum (PETM), a period of rapid, extreme global warming about 55 million years ago. It has given researchers a direct resource of measurable information on global warming -- from a time when the overall global temperature was higher and more uniform from the subtropics to the arctic.

"Analysis of carbon and hydrogen isotopes in the recovered fossil plants told us a lot about the way water is transported in the atmosphere and its effect on the climate," said Mark Pagani, professor of geology and geophysics at Yale and principal author of the study. "The isotope traces we measured indicated that a large-scale alteration in the water cycle occurred and that future alterations may leave us poorly equipped to predict our water supply."

"Without being hysteric, it is important to realize that the impact of global warming is not just about searing hot summers -- it is about water as a resource. It is about when and where it rains and how much we have to drink," said Pagani. "This is a red flag"

Pagani and his collaborators show that water and atmospheric water vapor are a major indicator of the "greenhouse" changes. Rather than just looking at changes in ocean water -- that can be influenced by many factors -- the researchers measured carbon and hydrogen isotopes in the fossil plants and reconstructed the pattern of precipitation and characteristics of the ancient arctic water.

"We are all familiar with what happens when atmospheric fronts from the tropics meet cool northern fronts -- there is a "rainout" -- water leaves the atmosphere," said Pagani. "When that happens, the water vapor isotope level becomes more negative. We were able to measure that as traces in the plant fossils."

"In the PETM, because there were no sharp warm and cold fronts meeting to triggering rainfall, massive amounts of water got transferred from the tropics and sub-tropics to the arctic," said Pagani. "That drastically increased humidity and precipitation in the arctic. In turn, it led to increased river runoff that lowered the ocean salinity, changing its oxygen capacity and the plant life in the region. It also probably left the middle latitudes a lot dryer."

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsro ... 6081122857
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 05:58:03

So does that mean a single-cell (per hemisphere) 'equable' climate system?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 18:16:35

Blah, blah, blah.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby kiwichick » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 18:49:16

October 2016 2nd warmest on record globally

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-b ... t/61594776
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kiwichick » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 23:02:42

@ pstarr....from your link..." CO2 emissions will have to drop almost to zero to stop global warming"

thanks for playing
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kiwichick » Tue 15 Nov 2016, 23:47:48

@ pstarr......you really are losing the plot!!!!.......every scientist on the planet actively involved in climate science agrees that we have to either reduce GHG emissions to zero or come up with a globally scalable method to remove and store GHG's from the atmosphere ....or both
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate