Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Olduvai Thread (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: PEAK OIL, TOTAL COLLAPSE, AND THE ROAD TO THE OLDUVAI

Unread postby static66 » Wed 31 Oct 2007, 09:13:28

Jbeck, sorry to hammer a point but I have some extra time this morning... this formula you have come up with for the "average" family living off of $300 a month for food/household necessities. Umm.. where does this "family" shop? How many people are in this family? What are they eating???? Holy shit, I spend $100 a week on food/nescessities and I am not living high on the hog... I don't have children, just two dogs.... and the dog food is getting to be pretty freakin expensive!! I want to move to where this family lives so I can get on the gravy train where food costs are in 1970's dollars. You just don't know what is coming down the pike for the most important aspect of your life.... your food.
"The word statistics originated in the German STATISTIKS, "State Arithmetic."
static66
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Revi » Wed 31 Oct 2007, 09:21:38

IRA's and 401K's are all losing in comparison to the dollar. We are losing 10% a year and an IRA pays 5%. There are tax advantages, but say we lose 2 and 1/2% every year. In ten years we've lost at least 25% off of our savings. I think we should call them losings.

I like what Survivalblog says. Invest in tangibles. I am thinking of getting an in-town lot as a garden space, instead of investing the money in an IRA or a 401K this year.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jbeckton » Wed 31 Oct 2007, 10:28:06

static66 wrote:Jbeck, sorry to hammer a point but I have some extra time this morning... this formula you have come up with for the "average" family living off of $300 a month for food/household necessities. Umm.. where does this "family" shop?

No formula, just an estimation. Buy generic food, I spend about $200/mo. on food. Leave the $5 bag of Doritos on the shelf, buy bulk meat and eat lots of veggies. Grow as much as you can on your own. I also didn't include household necessities in that figure, how about we raise it to $500/mo. and you are still left with $1860.

I did look around and found a number though.

Last year U.S. households spent $3,240 on average for groceries, according to the American Express Everyday Spending index. The study also found consumers' consumption of fast food increased by 43% over the past year, bringing the average amount spent up to $720 per household. http://www.cccsatl.org/save-money-grocery.asp
So that comes out to $270/mo. and they are wasting $720 on fast food. People that buy ingredients at the grocery store spend a lot less than people who buy already made meals in a box. And with 25% of the US population classified as obese, I think the average household could spend less than it does.http://www.cccsatl.org/save-money-grocery.asp

static66 wrote: I want to move to where this family lives

Welcome to Pittsburgh, hope you like the Steelers!
Those that cannot do..... teach. Those that cannot teach......teach gym.-Jack black
jbeckton
Expert
Expert

Unread postby static66 » Wed 31 Oct 2007, 14:12:52

I love the steelers...my mother's favorite football player was Franco Harris. I am a Patriots fan.... In other news~

Oil reserves over-inflated by 300bn barrels – al-Huseini
by David Strahan

The world’s proved reserves have been have been falsely puffed up by the inclusion of 300 billion barrels of speculative resources, according to the former head of exploration and production at Saudi Aramco, and this explains the industry’s inability to raise output despite soaring prices.

Sadad al-Huseini’s presentation to the Oil and Money conference in London went substantially as previewed by lastoilshock.com, but the analysis he delivered may also throw light on the infamous OPEC reserve additions of the 1980s.

Mr al-Huseini began by noting the obvious inconvenient truth of the oil market of recent years: that production has barely increased despite a soaring crude price and massive investment by the industry. “It’s telling us something. We should be listening to what the numbers are telling us, not what the politicians say… It’s not about economics alone, you can increase prices, but you will not necessarily drive production up”

He also noted that 400 billion barrels of reserve replacement has been reported over the last decade, and asked why this had not been translated into new capacity. The answer, he suggested, was that a quarter of the world’s claimed proved reserves are no such thing: not production-ready oil, but speculative sources. “Reserves are confused and in fact inflated. Many of the so called reserves are in fact resources. They’re not delineated, they’re not acessible, they’re not available for production”. By his estimate 300 billion of the world’s 1200 barrels of proved reserves should be recategorized as speculative resources.

Mr al-Huseini did not specify which countries had inflated their reserves in this fashion, but the number is strikingly similar to the size of reserve additions recorded by OPEC members in the mid-1980s when countries were vying for quota share, although no new discoveries had been made.

However he did go on to question the production potential of some Gulf states, pointing out that 75% of Iranian production comes from mature fields that are more than 50% depleted. “That is not sustainable. When you hear officials saying production is going back up to up to over 5 million barrels [per day], that is not do-able”. He also noted that the 38 giant fields in the Arabian Gulf with reserves of over billion barrels each are on average 41% depleted. “These are the fields that in many forecasts are supposed to crank up and double production from the Gulf – again, very questionable”.

Al-Huseini’s world production forecast showed output on a plateau that will last no more than 15 years before starting to decline. In a world where spare capacity has evaporated, he concluded, the technical floor for oil prices would continue to rise at about $12 per year. “Prices can only go up”.

Yikes. Do you think the Patriots will beat the steelers?
static66
Peat
Peat

Unread postby jbeckton » Wed 31 Oct 2007, 15:13:45

static66 wrote:Yikes. Do you think the Patriots will beat the steelers?

I hope so, I am a transplant form Detroit so I don't really like the Steelers, I actually kinda hate them because the whole town is obsessed with the Steelers.

On a side note, I am a big Michigan fan........ you’re welcome for Tom Brady.
Those that cannot do..... teach. Those that cannot teach......teach gym.-Jack black
jbeckton
Expert
Expert

Unread postby static66 » Thu 01 Nov 2007, 07:48:21

Wow, a Michigan fan... I of course am a BC fan, thanks for Tom, he seems to be working out for us here.... we will know this Sunday when we play the Colts...
Did you read Heinbergs latest.... Peak everything?
static66
Peat
Peat

Gold and The Olduvai Cliff

Unread postby roccman » Mon 25 Feb 2008, 13:11:53

Last edited by Ferretlover on Thu 02 Apr 2009, 08:35:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Olduvai Thread.
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Gold and The Olduvai Cliff

Unread postby Iaato » Mon 25 Feb 2008, 13:18:22

If you want a clear picture of what happens to mines in general when there's no electricity, here's the recent chart for platinum. South Africa supplies about 70% of the new mine supply of platinum, so the effect of electricity is clearer here than it is for gold.

“Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value ---- zero.” --Voltaire
Iaato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Location: As close as I can get to the beginning of the pipe.

Unread postby spear » Tue 26 Feb 2008, 03:51:34

Yeah, everyone around here was blabbing on about gold and silver and missed the REAL money.
And we think we are smart and one jump ahead of the game.lol
I hate when I get caught sleeping like that.
ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
spear
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby paimei01 » Tue 26 Feb 2008, 04:19:31

This is capitalism and stealing resources from the third world
The owners of the gold and platinum and diamonds: South Africa nation, should be very rich, instead they have no electricity :lol:
http://paimei01.blogspot.com/
One day there will be so many houses, that people will be bored and will go live in tents. "Why are you living in tents ? Are there not enough homes ?" "Yes there are, but we play this Economy game". Now it's "Crisis" time !Too many houses! Yes, we are insane!
paimei01
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mattduke » Tue 26 Feb 2008, 17:24:00

Don't forget palladium. It was a steal a few weeks ago. Still the most undervalued precious metal in my opinion.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby seahorse » Tue 26 Feb 2008, 20:45:47

Yes, paladium is a substitute for platinum, so, it should go up as manufacturers look for a cheaper product than platinum
seahorse
Expert
Expert

Unread postby spear » Wed 27 Feb 2008, 14:33:17

I am re evaluating everything this week.
We saw that thing on the SA electrical probs a month ago here on the news.Even the five year time frame was mentioned back then.
I was just too busy and didnt connect the dots.
You snooze ,you lose as the saying goes.
Everything is going too fast now.Market dive,metals climbing,SA probs,Balkans in the spotlight again.
ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
spear
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby sittinguy » Wed 27 Feb 2008, 22:42:36

Diamonds to me are not in the same league as gold and silver, There is no way to prove authenticity. As a trade diamonds will drop so far they will be worthless. I will take minted, marked , coins all day. stick the diamonds were the sun don't shine. Gold has beeen out of my reach since it past $750, and now silver is out at almost $20. I hope it will come back down soon and I would pick up some more.
sittinguy
Coal
Coal

Re: Emoticon Theatre Presents: Olduvai Cliff!

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Wed 02 Jul 2008, 14:33:05

Before finding out about peak oil, I was like [smilie=5propeller.gif] about the state of the world's future, not a care besides [smilie=besos.gif] and maybe some [smilie=3some.gif]. After [smilie=book1.gif] about it, though, I began to question the validity some of the claims, initially writing off the more apocalyptic scenarios as [smilie=bs.gif] and [smilie=bduh.gif]. As the price of oil trudged well past $30, 40, 50/bbl, however, I began to get [smilie=confused2.gif] about the situation, not knowing whether tomorrow would bring [smilie=glasses7.gif] at my door for finally taking the red pill, or whether my countrymen would once and for all welcome a "charismatic leader" [smilie=icon_salut.gif], who promised to bring oil back down to a "reasonable" price.

Upon further study and discussion [smilie=5grouphug.gif] about the rapidly rising price of crude, it became apparent that my next [smilie=car3.gif] or [smilie=car24.gif] was perhaps going to be [smilie=5moped.gif], if it was anything at all.

As for preps, I wish I had more time to get things in order, namely raising my own [smilie=XXchicken.gif] and gardening, but it looks as if I and the rest of society will have to resort to [smilie=spam4.gif] in the lean days ahead. I have no doubt that some of the more sinister dregs of society, dispensed to violent outbursts, will make themselves known, going out in a [smilie=qleft1.gif] of glory. So, retreat to the trees I will, to sit [smilie=qright6.gif] and wait - p a t i e n t l y ...

If nothing else, remember these are 'interesting' times, so getcha [smilie=new_popcornsmiley.gif] ready! :twisted:
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RonMN » Wed 02 Jul 2008, 15:03:50

Emmerson...I think you're spamming for the hormel company with that spam emoticon :)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
RonMN
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Wed 02 Jul 2008, 15:19:37

RonMN wrote:Emmerson...I think you're spamming for the hormel company with that spam emoticon :)

If I don't have a pallet of that shiat sitting on my doorstep when I get back to the house tonight... :lol:
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby CarlinsDarlin » Wed 02 Jul 2008, 17:14:45

Bravo!
Well done! :)
What a creative bunch we have here :lol:
CarlinsDarlin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: THE Olduvai Thread (merged)

Unread postby eXpat » Sat 30 May 2009, 09:22:04

Time to reinvigorate this thread!
IEA’s dire warning on green stimulus and renewables
The IEA’s report for G8 energy ministers, to be presented this Sunday in Rome, has generated a few stories. Some picked up on the oil supply squeeze that awaits the world due to massive cuts in production investment. I wrote yesterday that the IEA forecasts that, for the first time since World War II, world electricity consumption will decline in 2009.

IEA chief economist Fatih Birol said he personally thought the electricity forecast was the most striking finding of the report.

However he was also keen to highlight concern about green spending in the G20 stimulus packages:

The agency will also tell ministers that its calculation of the stimulus spending required from G20 nations on renewable energy was inadequate and should rise by a factor of six if greenhouse gas emissions targets set by the United Nations were to be met.

Some more comments from Birol that didn’t make it into the story:

“We have looked at all G20 stimulus packages - and all the money they are putting into renewable energy. The money they have put aside for renewables is definitely important, but it is still much lower than what it should be, if we want it to be come to a sustainable level of energy treds - to bring CO2 emissions down. In order to come to that trend, [spending on] renewable energy needs to increase by a factor of six.”
Birol also warned about renewable energy, saying investments would fall 38 per cent in 2009 - again, the first fall recorded.

This was particularly serious, he said, because renewable energy industries are in their infancy and more vulnerable to a fall in investment:

“… oil is much more consolidated, whereas renewable energy is still in childhood - if they get a big hit, it will be very difficult for them to get on their feet. From that point of view it is very difficult that renewable indutries are hard hit, as we need them for fighting climate change and for energy security.”

http://blogs.ft.com/energy-source/2009/05/22/ieas-dire-forecasts-on-green-stimulus-and-renewables/
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: THE Olduvai Thread (merged)

Unread postby eXpat » Sat 08 Aug 2009, 12:34:12

Dark days ahead
SOUTH AFRICAN burglars pay close attention to electricity. A moratorium in the early 1990s stopped new power stations from being built, and by 2007 demand was overwhelming the country’s electricity grid. So Eskom, the national power company, began cutting supplies to specific suburbs for hours at a time. One side-effect of the rolling blackouts that afflicted Cape Town and Johannesburg was that they disabled the electric fences, spotlights and alarms that adorn richer people’s houses, making them easy pickings for thieves. At first the blackouts were announced in advance; later, aware of the risks, Eskom imposed them without notice. Fortunately for South Africans, the economic slump has trimmed demand (and a huge, rushed building programme boosted supply), but it will be 2013 before order is properly restored.

Britain is running short of power too—so quickly that some economists claim, only just tongue-in-cheek, that the economic slowdown is useful. “A recession is the best demand-reduction policy ever invented,” says Dieter Helm, an energy economist at Oxford University. Many power stations are due to close over the coming decade (see chart 1), and supplies are getting tight. The government reckons that, of a total of around 75GW in generating capacity, 20GW will disappear by 2015.
Indeed, Britain’s energy grids are already showing signs of stress. A cold snap in the winter of 2005-06 led to a spike in demand for natural gas, which is used both as a heating fuel and to generate electricity. Prices shot up but, despite several pipelines linking Britain to Europe, no extra gas was forthcoming from the continent. Big factories were instructed to stop work, and National Grid, the firm that runs the electricity network, came close to cutting supplies to homes as well.

Last year two power stations—one nuclear, one coal-fired—failed within minutes of each other, causing blackouts across the country. Officially, this was a one-off stroke of bad luck, but privately some think that a system with more spare capacity could have kept the lights on. Less obvious but just as worrying, says John Constable of the Renewable Energy Foundation, a think-tank, is that electricity prices are becoming more unstable. “Volatility is a sign of a system under stress,” he notes.
Acid rain and old age explain the shortage of capacity. Britain’s coal and nuclear plants together account for just under 45% of all power generation (see chart 2). But most of the nuclear plants, and around half of the coal plants, are due to close in the near future.
The nuclear stations are simply too ancient to carry on: most are over a quarter of a century old. Around half have already shut down and are being decommissioned. Those that remain are increasingly doddery. British Energy, which runs most of the remaining reactors, had to shut two of its eight power stations last year after engineers discovered cracks in components. By 2023 only one nuclear plant will be left, a modern reactor at Sizewell in Suffolk. Some of the power plants may be patched up a bit and granted life extensions (one on Anglesey was recently given a nine-month reprieve), but not for long.

http://www.economist.com/world/britain/displayStory.cfm?story_id=14177328&source=hptextfeature
New nuclear plants in the middle of a depression?, I don´t think so...
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion