Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Michael C. Lynch Thread Pt. 2

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:00:10

nero wrote:{I think this thread has gone way off the original topic, and it might be worthwhile if a moderator came along and separated out the discussion of the hubbert curve et al into a separate thread with an apropriate name.}

decent discussion thou. i think if we are to critic lynch or anyone else its worthwhile getting to the nitty gritty

Ok the logistics curve sounds like a starting point for a theoretical basis for the hubbert bell curve. That makes alot more physical sense than the gaussian curve. First because physically there is no justification for the gaussian curve (IMO). We are not modelling the frequency of something occuring that has some inherent uncertainty around a constant value. maybe we could make a gamma distribution for rate of discovery of oil under ideal conditions, I haven't thought about that carefully but anyways what the hubbert curve is modelling is the production not the discovery.

The logistics curve has the advantage of having some physical reason for its use. Physically it is most easily understood by the differential equation

P' = rP(K-P)

This describes the classic S curve where something starts growing exponentially until it nears a constraint at which point the constraint starts to limit the rate of growth and the growth slows down to nothing. The problem of using the logistics curve is that you can't make a physical justification for it's use in this case. For oil production P' = rate of production, P is the cumulative production, K is the ultimatly recoverable reserves and r is a constant determining the growth rate.

But the rate of increase of oil production has not been limited physically by cumulative production. More realistically it is limited by the current rate of production. (ie the percentage increase of production is limited due to physical constraints on the ability of the industry and the economy to grow). I would suggest the differential equation such as

P'' = rP'(K-2P)

makes more sense. It has been a while (and differential calculus was never my strong suit) but that also will physically look like an S curve and the first derivative also is a bell curve like shape. It also is symetrical looking although it has boundary conditions at t=0.

So why isn't this model used instead ofthe logistics curve? Can anyone explain why the logistics curve is a good model for historical oil production?

I can't.. i am on the rivet of my understanding here. nut i am going to have a layman's stab at it conceptually.. i struggle just understanding why it should be a peak.

i see some intuitive sense to why there should be some peak but the actual idea of a bell curve or any other model of rates of production is at first a mystery

Unless its just a fundamental nature of growth when a imperative of efficiency or demand is placed on it.. am i naive here?

if the ultimate production or end product has some physical limit (in place oil) what reasons are there for a peak rather than a ramp with some abrupt end point? because surely recovery has sweet spot associated with the geographic location of any incidence

the physicality issue in logistic curve for growth constants must be something to do with areas volumes and incidence?

you would expect some inverse cube or square over time rule for pressure to well so as production increased due to incidence of wells a point is reached where incidence(number of wells) is counterproductive.

rates of growth in incidence is tied to a work force dynamic that is very iffy to model

the ability to push up production on a field may be tied to a constant rig count .. or at least to a workforce that doesn't change in size by orders of magnitude for a given area of production?

therefore the lifetime of previous wells becomes the dynamic in the curve as additional wells come online quicker than older ones die out. this must be why you get a peak of some sort... you still have dying wells when your last new one goes in and as the recovery per well is a pressure dynamic we are looking at the addition of thousands of little peaks.

it must ultimately come down to pressure and physics heavily modified by a quadzillion other factors

Boris
London
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby nero » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:06:15

Why not? the observed production value can be modeled as a realization of a random process.

A production profile could be a probability distribution of the date which a single molecule of oil is produced. So we could go take a random sample of oil molecules and ask them "When exactly did you leave your subterranean home?" then take the average response and come up with an estimate for the average date that a molecule of oil was produced. Wonderful, that's certainly a useful estimate and yes it would be normally distributed around the real value, however there is absolutely no reason why the average date that a molecule of oil is produced is the same date as peak oil production unless you ASSUME the oil production profile is symetrical.
Biofuels: The "What else we got to burn?" answer to peak oil.
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:13:01

I may be off base here but I think if any kind of distribution should fit production it should be a log-normal one. When we look at resource distributions in well explored areas such as the Permian Basin or Gulf of Suez the field sizes are log-normally distributed. I think this is the general tendency when you have factors that are multiplicative (i.e. pore size and area as an example).
So if the resource is log-normal would not the total production be as well?
Also I think it is fair to say that the variables which go into the production calculation are not all independant so central limits theorem doesn't apply exactly.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:15:16

nero wrote: They aren't probability distributions at all they are estimated production profiles.

why could you not ascribe some probability to the cumulative output of any well in any field or basin in theory.

"what are the chances a well in prudhoe bay will produce x amount of oil in its lifetime"

if i look at a history of all the wells there must be a figure?

"pick any well in prudoe bay... you have a 66.7% chance it produce more than x barrels in its lifetime"

is that a ridiculous thing to think or say?

Boris
london
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby khebab » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:16:02

mididoctors wrote:
if the ultimate production or end product has some physical limit (in place oil) what reasons are there for a peak rather than a ramp with some abrupt end point? because surely recovery has sweet spot associated with the geographic location of any incidence

the physicality issue in logistic curve for growth constants must be something to do with areas volumes and incidence?

An interesting thread:
Hubbert's peak derived
Tar Sands

Unread postby nero » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:32:48

mididoctors I think rockdoc is talking about what you're asking. Am I right rockdoc in interpretting what you're saying to mean that the distribution of the sizes of the oil fields in any particular geologic basin are log normally distributed? That is a very different animal from the production profile. For instance a graph of size distributions would have size of field on the X axis with the probability density on the Y axis. For a production curve you have time on the X axis and production rate on the Y axis. Pretty much unrelated even though they might both look like "bell" curves.
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:33:12

nero wrote:
Why not? the observed production value can be modeled as a realization of a random process.

A production profile could be a probability distribution of the date which a single molecule of oil is produced. So we could go take a random sample of oil molecules and ask them "When exactly did you leave your subterranean home?" then take the average response and come up with an estimate for the average date that a molecule of oil was produced. Wonderful, that's certainly a useful estimate and yes it would be normally distributed around the real value, however there is absolutely no reason why the average date that a molecule of oil is produced is the same date as peak oil production unless you ASSUME the oil production profile is symetrical.

Is a barrel per well probability is just as valid as a molecule per resivoir?

however thinking about it I am at a loss why it should be symmetrical as the probability changing over time is no different than some differential in rates which need not be symmetrical. the rate of change in probability has no inbuilt need to a symmetrical ether

Boris
london
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby nero » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:40:46

An interesting thread:
Hubbert's peak derived

This is another example where smiley constructed a simple model that makes an appropriate looking production profile. Note it isn't gaussian or logistic or anything in particular. His model of well drilling rate is actually arbitrary based on his sound judgement of real life conditions. His assumption that there is only one oil field is kind of suspect though :).
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:41:06

nero wrote:mididoctors I think rockdoc is talking about what you're asking. Am I right rockdoc in interpretting what you're saying to mean that the distribution of the sizes of the oil fields in any particular geologic basin are log normally distributed? That is a very different animal from the production profile. For instance a graph of size distributions would have size of field on the X axis with the probability density on the Y axis. For a production curve you have time on the X axis and production rate on the Y axis. Pretty much unrelated even though they might both look like "bell" curves.

thats half the story thou as the density function of field size does not account for a cumulative number of pins (wells) in the map?

boris
london
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:44:38

nero wrote:
An interesting thread:
Hubbert's peak derived

This is another example where smiley constructed a simple model that makes an appropriate looking production profile. Note it isn't gaussian or logistic or anything in particular. His model of well drilling rate is actually arbitrary based on his sound judgement of real life conditions. His assumption that there is only one oil field is kind of suspect though :).

if it is some physical pressure model then thats what it is... its just bell shaped like a lot of stuff?

basically your saying the physical realty just looks like some famous mathematical curve but really this is a rd herring?

Boris
London
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby nero » Mon 30 May 2005, 17:53:43

midi wrote:Is a barrel per well probability is just as valid as a molecule per resivoir?

A probability distribution of barrels of production per well or a probability distribution of molecules per reservoir? I was talking about neither.

I was saying that a production profile is the equivalent of a probability distribution of the date a molecule was produced. I could have also said it is the equivalent of the probability distribution of the date a barrel was produced, but interviewing the molecule sounded funnier.

however thinking about it I am at a loss why it should be symmetrical as the probability changing over time is no different than some differential in rates which need not be symmetrical. the rate of change in probability has no inbuilt need to a symmetrical ether

I don't really know what probability that is changing over time you are referring to. Please explain more fully, I suspect you might have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding.
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 18:01:45

nero wrote:
midi wrote:Is a barrel per well probability is just as valid as a molecule per resivoir?

A probability distribution of barrels of production per well or a probability distribution of molecules per reservoir? I was talking about neither.

I was saying that a production profile is the equivalent of a probability distribution of the date a molecule was produced. I could have also said it is the equivalent of the probability distribution of the date a barrel was produced, but interviewing the molecule sounded funnier.

I don't really know what probability that is changing over time you are referring to. Please explain more fully, I suspect you might have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding.

if i look at a well at random what is the probability it is prducing x{bandwidth} barrels per day in 1967 for saudi arabia?

Boris
London
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 18:10:33

what is the probability in 1968?

Boris
London
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby nero » Mon 30 May 2005, 18:11:43

if it is some physical pressure model then thats what it is... its just bell shaped like a lot of stuff?

basically your saying the physical realty just looks like some famous mathematical curve but really this is a rd herring?

Yes, its a red herring in my opinion. But no, a physical pressure model isn't it either. The global production profile is half economics half geology. (Heresy, I know) The production profile of a single field is defined by a physical pressure model but global production is limited more by field discovery than it is by the geologic limits to individual field production. The exploration and development is encouraged and limited by the response of the oil price to supply and demand. Yes geology plays a key role since you can't find what isn't there but we shouldn't ignore that you can't find it if you don't have any money either.
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 18:11:53

ignore ...missed my spot
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 18:15:59

nero wrote:

Yes, its a red herring in my opinion. But no, a physical pressure model isn't it either. The global production profile is half economics half geology. (Heresy, I know) The production profile of a single field is defined by a physical pressure model but global production is limited more by field discovery than it is by the geologic limits to individual field production. The exploration and development is encouraged and limited by the response of the oil price to supply and demand. Yes geology plays a key role since you can't find what isn't there but we shouldn't ignore that you can't find it if you don't have any money either.

well that seem pretty obvious to me thou i think you and i would agree as time moves on the potential must decrease elevating the geology side of the equation..

still leaves the mystery of the lower 48 symmetry unanswered...

Boris
london
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby nero » Mon 30 May 2005, 18:17:33

if i look at a well at random what is the probability it is prducing x{bandwidth} barrels per day in 1967 for saudi arabia?

Ok I understand you now. You are thinking in more detail than I was. I'm not sure what this barrels per well probability distribution will get you, I supose you must be trying to look at the fundamental physical factors in the oil field to find a reason for the bell curve, however I believe the physical factors in any individual oil field are not important for the overall global production curve.
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby nero » Mon 30 May 2005, 18:28:51

I know, in my opinion the answer is that it doesn't have to be symetrical but that because it is the net result of alot of different decisions of alot of different people it tends towards not having any striking features. It has to follow the following rules: it starts at zero ends and ends at zero and the most boring production curve that you can have is a bell curve. If it had interesting features like a sudden cliff you would have to explain why everyone decided to suddenly all decided to move in that direction.
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 18:35:36

nero wrote:

I know, in my opinion the answer is that it doesn't have to be symetrical but that because it is the net result of alot of different decisions of alot of different people it tends towards not having any striking features. It has to follow the following rules: it starts at zero ends and ends at zero and the most boring production curve that you can have is a bell curve. If it had interesting features like a sudden cliff you would have to explain why everyone decided to suddenly all decided to move in that direction.

a sudden cliff strikes me as MORE likley...

recovery techniques increase set oil in place and cumlative wells in place, bang no more oil?

I would have expected a steeper rear slope. you do see a lot of them by field

Boris
London

edit: or do you... you see a sharp drop compared to the front slope approaching peak but a bigger tail compared with ramping up
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mididoctors » Mon 30 May 2005, 18:40:22

how often do peaks genuinely represent something close to 50% depletion?

Boris
london
mididoctors
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion