Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The lifeboat 'story'

Re: Runaway Global Warming - Has Arrived pt 11

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 08:48:48

onlooker wrote:Nope it seems part of the programming of this website. Oh and yes I can start the topic one if others feel like talking about lifeboat ethics

That old be great. I was hoping a Mod would move the recent related posts over to it. Clean up this mess.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The lifeboat 'story'

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 10:05:14

If I missed any of the lifeboat ethics posts over on the other thread just tag them and I will move them here as well.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 10:41:55

thanks T, for creating the lifeboat topic. As always a diligent moderator. As for the original post, I would say the obvious answer would be to eliminate the old person, as that person has already lived almost all their natural life span. On the other hand, some may decide to eliminate the child because the child cannot in any way offer any assistant to the others. In real life, though perhaps what the occupants would decide is to eliminate that person who is least liked and most abrasive in general or the person in worse health. I personally, if I was on the boat would suggest we hold some sort of raffle or lotto to decide by pure luck who is to be eliminated.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 12:49:36

Thanks Tanda.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 13:04:27

The predecessor discussion from 2007 is interesting because none of them seem to relate it to their current situation as we are doing.

If I can recast the proposition....
We are 1000 folks on an that can sustain 100,
Weare alive only because we have store from our shipwreck which will run out soon,
There is no hope of rescue, we are in our own,
Hurricane season is coming,
On the island with you is your entire extendsed family which numbers 120 in total,
100 women are pregnant including 10 in your family and two of your daughters and wife,
You speak a different language and are of different color than 700,
500 of the 700 will want to eat you when food runs out, including some in your own family.

That's more realistic.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby kiwichick » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 17:43:01

if you look at the situation of some Pacific Island countries prior to European intervention ( ie religion ( mainly )) they often practiced infanticide and suicide ( sometimes by taking the oldest least seaworthy canoe and paddling off into the sunset )

see Jared Diamond " how societies choose to succeed or fail "
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:04:23

They also didn't have the pill and condoms.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:12:38

You guys remember the ending of the Grapes of Wrath when Rose of Sharon breast fed the vagrant?

Sometimes starvation and hardships will make us eat each other. And sometimes they invoke a merciful and noble self sacrifice.

We may enter a world soon where we will witness and participate in the most primitive brutality and the most noble of acts. Happening side by side.

One thing can be said, mediocrity will not be rewarded !
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:22:07

I can't imagine a group of people sitting around trying to calmly and logically decide who is the least important and should therefore go take a long swim so that the rest will survive.

When these kinds of situations arise in real life, either some individual sacrifices himself to save the rest (like Capt. Oates on the doomed Scott expedition), or fights break out and the strong kill the weak.

The most famous historical example of this is the Raft of the Medusa, where 147 people were cast adrift on a raft after a shipwreck. After starvation set in the strong people killed and ate the weaker people, until only 15 were still alive when rescued.

The raft of the Medusa by Gericault
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:35:46

Thanks for that point, Ibon.

And for the art, P!

But when you say, "...or fights break out and the strong kill the weak."

I must point out that also sometimes the 'weak' band together to kill (or overcome) the 'strong.'

And some time the weak just sit back and let the strong duke it out till they've both collapsed, and then they just tiptoe up and cut all the 'strong's' throats, thus inheriting the earth!! (Meak, weak, shmeak, you get the point... :) )
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:47:44

dohboi wrote:Thanks for that point, Ibon.

And for the art, P!

But when you say, "...or fights break out and the strong kill the weak."

I must point out that also sometimes the 'weak' band together to kill (or overcome) the 'strong.'

And some time the weak just sit back and let the strong duke it out till they've both collapsed, and then they just tiptoe up and cut all the 'strong's' throats, thus inheriting the earth!! (Meak, weak, shmeak, you get the point... :) )

Gericault's "Raft of the Medusa" is a huge paining---bigger than lifeize. It hangs in the Louvre in Paris. Its based on a real incident. After a shipwreck 151 men and one woman were stranded on an improvised raft.... a terrible ordeal developed. Dozens were washed into the sea by a storm, others, drunk from wine, rebelled and were killed by officers. The survivors engaged in cannibalism. When supplies ran low, several injured men were thrown into the sea. After 13 days on sea, the raft was found with only 15 men surviving. from wikipedia

This was a French naval vessel manned by proud French military officers and crew....and it only took 13 days to turn them all into something not far from animals killing and eating other to survive.

The rapid descent into savagery on the raft shocked France and Europe in the 19th century. Something quite similar also happened after a British shipwreck off Australia. Sadly, history shows that there really aren't any ethics on a lifeboat when it becomes a survival situation.
Last edited by Plantagenet on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:51:25, edited 1 time in total.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:49:06

Yes I think they're is wisdom to the proverb the "the meek shall inherit the Earth" This is because ultimately cooperation is a better survival strategy than competition. A house united is stronger than a house divided.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:51:51

Competition or savagery or survival of the fittest arises when they're is not enough for everyone. So in our OP lifeboat story and any other scenario. The wisest ones will band together. Two heads are better than one.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:56:35

Banding together can have a positive (hippie community) or negative (gangs/warlords) connotation.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:56:58

Gericault's "Raft of the Medusa" is a huge paining---bigger than lifeize. It hangs in the Louvre in Paris

Yep, seen it there. Stunning, indeed.

I was their August 2003 when they were stacking up bodies like stinking cordwood in the streets of that lovely city because they were coming in too fast for the morgue to process them all. Tens of thousands died within a week, mostly in Western Europe, from that one heatwave, a heatwave so extreme the calculation was that there was only something like a .001% chance that it could have happened without the added juicing from GW.

I haven't taken and international flight since (and only a couple domestic flights the next year that I had made commitment to).

We are on a lifeboat indeed. And most of us are bashing holes in the hull as fast as we possibly can. As fast as we possibly can.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 19:00:48

ennui2 wrote:Banding together can have a positive (hippie community) or negative (gangs/warlords) connotation.

It is still banding together as in the gang members usually do not prey on each other.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 22:10:32

I find the opposite, your worst potential enemy is your best friend. That's why every hard core gang punishes betrayal with death, yet history shows eventually there is always a betrayer.

Would the smartest kid on the boat betray the weakest kids & ally with the big guy to throw the weaklings in the drink?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 23:34:12

After the collapse, although people may look normal, most will probably have something broken inside.

Example: Say you meet this person, he seems like a great person to team up with, friendly, sociable, seemingly reasonable. But the second you close your eyes, he tries to kill you because he believes you to be the Anti-Christ.

I don't know that 'teaming up' with anyone would be a good idea. Even people you knew before may not be the same.

Remember, we've had the opportunity to go through the grieving ahead of time. Some on here still haven't finished that process. Some haven't even started. Most of the masses will be suffering shock. Instead of governments helping them prepare, they have been kept in the dark and fed shit.

For them, the lights will go off and not come back on again, the faucets stop, and the grocery is closed, never to open again.

What in life has prepared them for that?
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 01 May 2016, 07:24:29

"Teaming up" is also taking side, making coalitions to survive.

What I have noticed is that hen you get someone in a team, a irk crew or a design office, who is not pulling their weight the crowd will gently turn from them. If you fire them too soon you upset the balance. If you wait until the right Time it's like popping a zit, there is general relief.

I always hate firing folks, no matter how much it is needed. I have an otherwise good managers how would rather quit than fire someone, no matter how bad.

Also, while to heads are better than one two stomachs are bigger than one.

Sometimes, in a downturn, the company just can't sustain the workforce, too many stomachs. Some must go or the company goes down.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 01 May 2016, 07:31:50

That is why I said as long as the resources are sufficient. Now, of course power dynamics are always present so one can expect shifting alliances and power plays of some sort. That is why going back to a more general theme, survivors should stress as much as possible how they are stronger together than separate. How it is a non zero sum game that all have the same common interests and that pooling their talents/skills, intelligence, energy and commitment can give them all a better change of overcoming and surviving. As said before Non loyalty should be severely dissuaded.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate