Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Jeb Bush Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Jeb Bush: I would have authorized Iraq War

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 14 May 2015, 17:21:46

Politically, our only choices appear to be living in a capitalist theocracy or a capitalist non-theocracy. The Iraq war would have been authorized by any capitalist knowing full well what it means for profits.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 14 May 2015, 19:13:29

19 year old college student confronts Jeb Bush, asks him why young Americans should be sent to "die in pointless wars" for "american exceptionalism." I don't think it's in this clip, but she also claims that W. Bush created ISIS when he disbanded the bathists etc. etc.

She's actually right on that. Not that W and Cheney did that on purpose, it turned out to be a tactical mistake.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czIlfaLrpPk

Bush answers that ISIS wouldn't have become a problem if Obama had kept the 10,000 troop residual force. And he says that the world is a more unstable place now, "because America retreated in the world."

I'm not left wing or right wing, so I'm not on anyone's reservation and I'm objective -- actually the college student AND Bush are right.

BUT..

Old fashioned Republicans have A REALLY BAD PROBLEM HERE, with the American people in general, on these global cop wars.

Something has changed. People just don't want it anymore. And you know, I used to have a neighbor that was a disabled vet from the FIRST gulf war.

People are just tired of this stuff, and "America can't retreat in the world" just isn't cutting it. Right or wrong, it's just not cutting it with folks anymore.

I think the root of it all is that we're just part of this globalist system and America is supposed to be the leader and bear the burden of the fighting, etc. etc., and maybe foreign nations buy our bonds and that's what funds it, etc. etc., and then maybe American corporations get more business from us being global policeman.. and our role and cross to bear in the old world order was to singlehandedly keep the world stable..

But I don't know..

People are just tired of the wars. They want a rest from it. And they see too many problems here at home, it's ridiculous that the same Republicans that send our young people to war are the same Republicans that want to cut their social security afterward, when they're a wounded veteran.

People just do not see global policeman wars as being THEIR fight, anymore.

My opinion: there just should be a VERY solid international coalition in place, in the future, or we should not be involved anymore. And it should be significant, it needs to be THE BRITISH and THE FRENCH and THE GERMANS out there with SIGNIFICANT forces and NOT just a token force, and nobody should ever be able to say, ever again, that the next war is just some American war and somehow Brits get tricked into going along with it and all that crap.

And if we do have another war, then taxes ought to go up on the rich so that the war is paid for and doesn't bankrupt the treasury.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 14 May 2015, 19:50:53

edit: delete, too many rants..

rephrase: I'm pro American and all for America leading in the world, IF IT'S SMART and not another Iraq war, then okay I get that and I do believe in our values.

The problem I am having with Republicans though is that they are just talking all about free trade deals and foreign policy and at the same time they want to cut SS, raise the age, and it looks like they want to deregulate the banks again, and honestly they're actually for no minimum wage at all -- and even lower wages -- much less being for raising the minimum wage.

That's my problem with Jeb Bush's ideas, all I'm hearing is foreign policy stuff and there's nothing there for the 99% on domestic policy. And no, "more trade deals" will not "create more jobs." That's just factually wrong.

99% of all new income gains go to the top 1%.

All I am saying is that if Republicans want war funding, then the only way I'd be for that is if they attach a living wage bill to it, and attach environmental legislation to it, and raise taxes on the rich.

Republicans are just all stuck on foreign policy, it's not that I don't agree with them on some points, but they've ignored domestic way too much.

They want war funding? Then tack on a living wage bill to it. Improve conditions in THIS country, before more nation building overseas. That's all I'm saying, I don't think that's unreasonable.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: THE Jeb Bush Thread (merged)

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 17:11:26

How low can he go before all the money dries up?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 17:29:00

Tanada wrote:How low can he go before all the money dries up?

I wouldn't count out Jeb just yet. He has a super-pac backing him to pay for political ads which he will probably start running full time in January and February. If that doesn't change the poll numbers or unless the Trump campaign implodes, then Jeb is probably finished. I wouldn't think Jeb will drop out until after Super Tuesday in March.

The establishment Republicans are a very powerful force and we haven't yet seen them at work to any large degree. They hate Trump, Cruz, and Carson since they can't really control those guys.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 20:26:26

Wow this campaign's gettin' turned around, Jeb has is own "THE" thread. 8O

Oh wait, most of these posts are from 2006.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 20:35:31

Cog wrote:
Tanada wrote:How low can he go before all the money dries up?

I wouldn't count out Jeb just yet. He has a super-pac backing him to pay for political ads which he will probably start running full time in January and February. If that doesn't change the poll numbers or unless the Trump campaign implodes, then Jeb is probably finished.

I think what'll happen is just that the primary will cycle through frontrunners, and just settle on Jeb, kind of like by default, much later on. Just as it's happened in past cycles, like with Romney.

The only real threat to Jeb is Rubio.

After that last debate, a big finance guy came out and said he's going to back Rubio. This is the same guy the Bush campaign had been courting too for a long time. It's considered a blow to the Bush campaign that he's backing Rubio now. More donors could follow.

What Bush needs to do that this point is just go into cryo-sleep. Freeze his campaign, lock it down, don't spend any money and wait it out until later. Keep the core Bush family donor network. Then let this primary field have it's merry go round of frontrunners, they'll come home to Bush at the end of it. :lol:

On the other hand.. he's definitely in some trouble though, I mean we're into November now. Voting starts in what, 90 days? And really, the holidays -- thanksgiving, christmas -- is like a campaign break and people don't pay attention, so, he's a bit out of time here.

Forbes magazine says it's over though, Jeb just has to put a "mericful end" to it, and back out of the race now:

The End of Jeb Bush As We Know Him

The once and never again Republican presumptive presidential standard bearer, Jeb Bush, lost big as well. As has been the hallmark of his doomed and sputtering campaign almost from the outset, Bush’s debate performance died not with a bang, but with a whimper.

It is just a matter of time before Jeb himself declares a merciful end to what has become a painful and futile quest. How could a candidate, backed by the party’s traditional kingmakers and with more than $100 million in his campaign war chest, suffer such an ignominious end?

The answer says as much about America in 2015 as it does about Jeb Bush. From a public relations standpoint, here’s why Jeb — by all measures an intelligent, competent, and decent individual — saw his campaign veer so horribly off the rails.

No Venom

Anyone observing the CNBC debate debacle could clearly see that Donald Trump had it right: Jeb lacked the intensity of his rivals.

Too Detached

Of all the candidates on the CNBC stage, Jeb seemed the most out of place, like a reluctant adult forced to scrum with over-eager adolescents. He appeared timid when he tried to interrupt a Trump rant, wistful when asked to recite his economic priorities, and wounded when the devious Rubio sucker punched him right back.

Tired Name

Finally, Jeb has his last name to contend with. The baggage of being yet another Bush running for president
http://www.forbes.com/sites/fraserseitel/2015/10/31/the-end-of-jeb-bush-as-we-know-him/3/

I think the problem with Jeb.. is actually that he is NOT his brother. His brother won -- twice.

But Jeb, he's like his father, HW Bush. And grandfather, Prescott Bush. And maybe that kind of Bush can't win anymore, in modern times. If you think about it -- honestly the ONLY reason HW Bush ever won the WH was just because it was Reagan's coattails. Was seen as a third term for 2 terms that people were happy with. But then, he LOST re-election. I don't think a HW Bush could win at all on his own, even back then, and maybe Jeb just can't win now either.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 20:54:51

By the way, just thinking about who could actually WIN a general election and not just the primary..

I honestly can't see how it's possible, for Rubio to beat Clinton. Not in a general election. He seems too young and inexperienced. In a debate with Rubio, Clinton would seem like the responsible choice for president.

Jeb's got the best chance of winning a general.. yet.. not if he can't show more fire in the belly -- than what he's been showing, if he can't show it versus his Republican opponents then I guess it won't be there versus Hillary either. And would just be another Romney. Also, Bush has been turning into a bit of a big dork lately, as he *tries* to find some *fire in the belly*. Things like the hoodie gaffe, that's just like something Romney would have done:

When he tries to be funny, when he tries to be "hip," when he tries to be "mad" and have "fire in the belly" -- it just comes out as "dork."

Also -- the "I've got a lot of cool things I could go do instead of run for president, if you guys just want to kick me around" comment isn't exactly what people are looking for, in a president. It seems entitled -- he's not ASKING for your vote, he's not convincing you to vote for him, he's not inspiring anyone -- he just EXPECTS it. And it's like, if you don't want to vote for him, he can just go do a lot of other things and have a happy life and it's your loss that you didn't vote Jeb Bush.

Now, TRUMP has a shot, of winning the general -- IF the GOP could spend some money to polish him up and make him really ready for primetime, he actually could go all the way. Just on the novelty of it, and "strong leadership" qualities. I have to admit it, I do wonder what Trump would be like as commander in chief -- and if voters are imagining someone president, that's just a step away from voting for them. I can also picture what Jeb would be like -- actually okay, and better on foreign policy certain than Obama has been. But NOTHING NEW. Nothing interesting. No change.

But Trump, he seems to be like something new. And like, you just wonder what he'd do in there and what kind of deals he'd negotiate and how he'd handle Putin and the middle east and China. And, one just things that Trump could handle things and would never be a wimp or be outgamed by anybody.

Not saying I'd vote for Trump.. but I wouldn't run to Canada either, if he won.

Other than Trump and Bush, among the current candidates, I actually think something like a Pataki-Fiorina ticket could win a general election. Or, maybe pair Rubio up with Fiorina and that would help.

Pataki's the kind of Republican that's more in line with the general electorate. If you listen to these debates, actually Pataki was pretty smart in the last one. And yes, I realize he only polls .01%, but just saying, he could maybe win a general election.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 21:30:19

Pataki is a northeastern liberal. I don't know what part of the Republican party you think he is part of but it sure ain't the same one I am part of. He wouldn't get a single Republican vote from sea to shining sea. So no, he wouldn't win the general election much less the Republican nomination.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 21:37:10

There is only one Pub with a chance against Clinton & it is Trump. This establishment has grokked this some weeks back & are seething about it. 6, as usual contradicting himself all over the shop, if the establishment 2 get up, Clinton vs Bush, you & I & the postman & everyone else knows who will win. Is it worth another term or two with Dems in the whitehouse just because Trump is a radical? That's the real question.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 31 Oct 2015, 23:16:25

Everyone has known the Establishment picks of the two major parties foe many months, Bush and Clinton. The problem is Bush is not Presidential in any way that is obvious, and of course my objections to his preferred opponent are not exactly a secret. Who gets all the votes in the straw polls? Neither of the establishment picks has any voter appeal and they are both angry and a bit scared by that fact. They are still pushing for dear ole Jeb, but the guy has no traction with the voters.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 01 Nov 2015, 00:45:38

Cog wrote:Pataki is a northeastern liberal. I don't know what part of the Republican party you think he is part of but it sure ain't the same one I am part of. He wouldn't get a single Republican vote from sea to shining sea. So no, he wouldn't win the general election much less the Republican nomination.

Well it's not like you'd vote Clinton, over Pataki.

And it's not like most Sanders supporters would vote Ted Cruz, over Clinton.

But someone like a Pataki is still a Republican, even if not conservative enough by your measurements. And maybe that magic 5% middle swing vote would vote for him, whereas Jeb has been too weak and Rubio is too young, so why not Pataki?

I'm just saying, I liked a few things he said in that last debate. I don't know a lot about him and his history in New York, like if he's gaffe-prone or ever says any stupid things, but just going on that last debate I saw some potential there. Like maybe a strong, serious moderate that will go after Clinton about the emails yet calls his own party out too, that got my interest, since I'm a swing voter with a range of views.

Like, I do accept the reality of AGW but it's just that I don't want a crazy far left person in charge of it and then they set up climate change denier jails and start inqusitions probing people from 40 years ago to blame them for the planet.

Just do something about emissions for pete sake, without scaring everyone. Now see, Pataki's position actually matches with that, he'd just do something about it without being a far left radical on it with things that go too far like inquisitions and probes and carbon taxes.

Pataki: Republicans are afraid of science

"One of the things that troubles me about the Republican Party is too often we question the science that everyone accepts," he said, when asked about his position on climate change. He said Republicans often question the science on vaccines and climate, despite nearly incontrovertible proof. And he said they do it because they're scared acknowledging climate change will lead to more government regulation.

"I want Republicans to embrace innovation and technology," he said.

Though earlier in the debate he said he would largely do away with tax loopholes, He suggested he would implement R&D tax credits to let the private sector address climate change.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/live-from-boulder/2015/10/george-pataki-gop-debate-republican-party-frustration-215287

I can just sort of imagine it, maybe. It would be CLOSE.. but maybe pair Pataki up with Niki Haley of south carolina for vp, or carly fiorina. And be serious, non-crazy Republicans and stand toe to toe with Clinton as strong moderates and responsible leaders.. maybe Pataki could beat her.. would be close, but maybe he could..

Rubio is too young. And Jeb is a moderate, but seems too weak and no fire in the belly. I've heard Pataki go after Clinton about the emails, very strongly, but then he also goes after his own party on things.

GEORGE PATAKI THROWS DOWN GAUNTLET TO HILLARY
Presidential candidate gives unexpected forceful response to email scandal

In response to a question from Jim Cramer about cyberwarfare, Pataki thundered, "Hillary Clinton put a server, an unsecure sever, in her home as secretary of state. We have no doubt that that was hacked and that state secrets are out there to the Iranians, the Russians, the Chinese and others. That alone should qualify her from being president of the United States."

His response drew the first spontaneous applause of the evening.
http://www.wnd.com/2015/10/george-pataki-throws-down-gauntlet-to-hillary/

P.S. Oh I forgot, lol.. Pataki was in the undercard debate.. there's too many candidates in this thing and I can't keep it straight, what is it like 20 people? :lol:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 01 Nov 2015, 01:31:23

Tanada wrote:The problem is Bush is not Presidential in any way that is obvious,

Jeb Bush changed somehow, from his years as governor to now.. I don't know what, but something changed with him..

My sense is that he was just out of government in the private sector for too long, and he's older now and just a happy guy in general and that's wonderful but -- to win, a politician has to have DRIVE. They've got to *want it*. It's not a whole lot different than sports, or mountain climbing. Somebody just perfectly happy with their life, can't win this other thing -- climbing that mounatin, or winning the white house -- because they just don't have the drive.

Bush even outright said this, when he said "there are other cool things I could go do, besides run for president."

He was actually a good governor. But in the meantime years, out of government, he lost his skills and his drive. It's also worth noting that Florida was very Republican at that time, so it's not like Bush won in a blue state (and this was before the tea party and all the outsiders that are in the GOP now).

And, the Bush family was more popular back then. Jeb Bush just sort of sailed into that governorship -- the problem now is that the USA is not Florida 15 years ago. This election won't be handed to him.. he'd have to earn it.. and he doesn't seem able to do that.

As for not being presidential, he actually is a serious guy that only gets dorky when he tries to be cool. Same problem as Mitt Romney had. But I'd have no concerns actually, that he wouldn't be "presidential" in office.

Anyhow I'm not voting for him. But I have my own reasons, that Jeb Bush is a total country club all-for-the-rich type of Republican. The Bush family dynasty, the big Bush donor network money, all the billionaire and millionaire money he's been bragging about so much -- and is now starting to lose, to Rubio.

I like Pataki a bit, but he's a .01% polling undercard. I like some things about Fiorina -- she'd be a good VP pick.

I guess I still like Trump the most, on the GOP side.

Who gets all the votes in the straw polls? Neither of the establishment picks has any voter appeal and they are both angry and a bit scared by that fact. They are still pushing for dear ole Jeb, but the guy has no traction with the voters.

To be fair, Clinton is not anywhere near as unpopular in the Democratic primary as Bush is, in the Republican primary.

Clinton was always int he led, by far, and after that debate she got a big bounce. I'm just being objective, that's the truth. Whereas I don't think Bush has ever broken 8%, in his primary polls.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 01 Nov 2015, 02:48:33

Maureen Dowd in NYT, "Fall of the House of Buish." Reportedly, 91 year old HW Bush throws a shoe at the tv whenever Trump's on.

Fall of the House of Bush

JEB, dragging his wilted exclamation point around, is so boring that it’s hard to focus on the epic nature of his battle.

Some of Jeb’s disillusioned donors are hanging on just because they can’t bear to shatter the old man’s illusions. How can America be rewarding the wrong dynasty — Little Rock over Kennebunkport?

As Jonathan Martin and Matt Flegenheimer recently wrote in The Times, Poppy and Bush retainers like John Sununu are bewildered by a conservative electorate that rejects Republican primogeniture, prefers snark to substance and embraces an extremely weird brain surgeon and an extravagantly wild reality show star.

When the Bushes had to stick a shiv in the ribs of their foes, they behaved like gentlemen and outsourced it to henchmen. They can’t fathom a world where that vulgarian Trump is doing his own dirty work.

Trump has gotten into Jeb’s head, making Jeb so petulant he declared he had “a lot of really cool things” he could be doing instead, when we all know he doesn’t.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/opinion/sunday/fall-of-the-house-of-bush.html?action=click&contentCollection=Science&module=MostPopularFB&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

She goes into the family drama, how Jeb was always the favored son. Jeb was the smart one, but W. was the better campaigner. HW Bush was more upset that his son Jeb lost his first election, then he was pleased by W's win in Texas. This was all laid out in one of those movies about W., classic family prodigal son drama stuff, the eldest favored and the younger son always seeking his father's approval, with no success ever being good enough.

Not only did W. shock his family by making it to the Oval Office before Jeb. In the tie election, Jeb had to be prodded into helping his brother snatch Florida away from Al Gore.

This was going to be the year that settled sibling scores. Jeb would get what his parents considered his birthright.

Jeb had been out of politics for eight years and he strolled back, mistakenly assuming that the vassals were waiting eagerly to hail him.

With Trump belittling him for being low energy and running to Mommy and Daddy for help, Jeb realized he was in a new world.

Jeb is trapped in a nightmarish déjà vu. Once he was cast as the wonky one while his brother, the sparky one, slipped ahead. Now Jeb is cast as the wonky one while Marco, the sparky one, slips ahead.

Jeb got confused. He thought he was still in an era when people had to pay their dues.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/opinion/sunday/fall-of-the-house-of-bush.html?action=click&contentCollection=Science&module=MostPopularFB&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

Republicans do have to consider something, though.. so okay, they tear down King George and the crown prince.. but what do they replace him with.. Dr. Carson, of tiger liver pill endorsement fame?

UK Telegraph, Jeb's "nightmare week continues:"

COO of Bush campaign laid off in downsizing cuts:

Chief Operating Officer Leaves Jeb Bush Campaign

Ms. Ciccone was paid roughly $12,000 a month, the equivalent of a $144,000 annual salary, according to the campaign’s most recent Federal Election Commission filling. Reached by phone Friday, Ms. Ciccone said “I’ve got no comment. I’ve just got to go.”

Ms. Ciccone came to the campaign with political roots in the Bush family. She worked in President George W. Bush’s White House, serving as a legislative liaison to the Senate. Before working for the Jeb Bush campaign, she worked as a lobbyist at Sphere, a top Washington consulting firm.
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/10/30/chief-operating-officer-leaves-jeb-bush-campaign/
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 01 Nov 2015, 21:25:53

Jeb Bush is his own worst nightmare, he is trying to win a 21st Century election with 20th Century methods.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 02 Nov 2015, 09:31:50

US News and World Report has a pretty long article on good ole Jeb you might be interested in, raising the issue if Rubio wins the nomination will Jeb back him, or torch him costing the GOP Florida?

Even before Jeb Bush's uninspiring debate performance Wednesday night, his sputtering presidential campaign was working to prevent defections.

Bush's top lieutenants convened with donors in sopping wet Houston on Monday to calm their fears and retrench for the unforgiving haul ahead.
Former Governor Jeb Bush answers questions from journalists after a town-hall meeting at the Historical Society in Keene, New Hampshire on Thursday, August 20, 2015.

After the confab, Bush's team distributed a 45-page PowerPoint presentation to select reporters, summarizing an optimistic view of the race, touting the Republican candidate's cash and organization, and assuring supporters that early polls are rarely indicative of ultimate success.

But in that leak to select media, the campaign purposely left out more than half of what was furnished behind closed doors.

The full presentation, obtained exclusively by U.S. News, spans 112 pages and includes a trove of new details, including Bush's internal polling, his vote goal in Iowa and his advertising plan for January.

Additionally, while the slides released to the media outlined Bush's overarching argument against Florida Sen. Marco Rubio – that he's the GOP's Barack Obama – the complete offering contains more biting, detailed slights, pointedly questioning the character and ethics of Bush's home state rival.

The document provides a rare behind-the-curtain look at the gritty details of a campaign at a crucial inflection point. Here's a breakdown of the most illuminating pieces of intelligence contained in Bush's 2016 blueprint.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/run-20 ... -blueprint
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Donald trump

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 27 Nov 2015, 18:51:34

Cog wrote:I would rather have Hillary than Jeb. At least that way I can see the knife blade coming at me.

What about the commander in chief part? I have to say, if we've got big problems national security wise then it seems like Jeb Bush may really be the best possible commander in chief.

Jim Webb would be good too, but of course he got ran out of the Democratic primary pretty quick.

These are Reagan administration type people -- Jim Webb was the navy secretary under Reagan, and Jeb Bush is his father's son, he's more like his dad than anything like his brother. W. Bush got led astray by neocons and Dick Cheney. But HW Bush never even liked Cheney.

I see on news analysis, like on morning joe, they actually say there is no other Republican that has anything like the depth of foreign policy knowledge and answers for the problems out there, other than Jeb Bush.

I like his response on the Turkey thing. Bush is calm, a decent nice guy with some class, not a bully, is responsible -- yet firm and resolute as well.

Bush on downed jet: Russia invaded Turkish airspace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUIFi5Tnh3Q

You guys can cast your lots wherever you choose, but I think in a time of crisis I'd get in Jeb Bush's lifeboat.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 27 Nov 2015, 19:21:18

Following his father’s footsteps: the path of Jeb Bush

Author Jon Meacham’s latest book is a deeply reported, intimate look at the legacy of George H.W. Bush.
http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/following-his-fathers-footsteps-the-path-of-jeb-bush/

The key to a Jeb Bush comeback: Embrace the boring

There is a certain nostalgia afoot for the quiet decency, pragmatism and consensus-building that Bush Sr. represents, suggests Jon Meachem, author of a new biography of the elder Bush, “Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush." The book is the No. 1 New York Times bestseller right now, and a person can’t help but wonder if Jeb might tap into some of that newfound Bush love.

Meachem, in describing Bush 41, has essentially written a daring stump speech for Jeb.

"Americans tend to prefer their presidents on horseback: heroes who dream big and sound the trumpets," Meachem writes. [Ed. note: See Trump, Donald.] "There is, however, another kind of leader – quieter and less glamorous but no less significant – whose virtues repay our attention. There is greatness in political lives dedicated more to steadiness than to boldness, more to reform than to revolution, more to the management of complexity than to the making of mass movements. “

Meachem makes a strong case that the qualities many people in 1992 found to be Bush 41's vices are now seen as virtues -- “his public reticence; his old-fashioned dignity; his tendency to find a middle course between extremes.”

All those qualities are ones that describe Jeb just as well
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/11/24/the-key-to-a-jeb-bush-comeback-embrace-being-boring/

What swung my opinion over to Jeb was his response on the current international problems -- when it really matters, Jeb is not just a quiet boring good government guy but he's actually good on "horseback" with the "trumpets" too.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Fri 27 Nov 2015, 23:46:19

Six,

How in the world can you consistently pick the worst possible candidate to support? First it was Bernie Sanders, then it was Trump, now its Jeb. Is it a gift of some sort? Jeb is exactly what is wrong with establishment Republicans. A get along with Democrats sort of guy like Boehner and McConnell. Hillary will decimate him in a debate. Voters are sick of that sort of thing. But by all means vote for him in the primary. He won't be the nominee.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 28 Nov 2015, 00:53:38

I'm not listening to you Cog, Jeb can fix it.

Medal of Honor recipients endorse Jeb Bush:

"We need to elect a strong president who understands the value of freedom. This is no reality show. This here is serious business. This is about the livelihood of our kids and grandkids."

"We need someone who believes in those serving in uniform and gives them the capability to get the job done. Someone who has the experience, background, integrity and leadership skills. Jeb Bush represents the beliefs of this country."

Jeb Bush tells the cadets at the Citadel, he will defeat ISIS:

I've Got Your Back | Jeb Bush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVC4ul4CE0

"Real voters know that 'Jeb can fix it:'"

Jeb talks about his father's record in WWII and veterans:

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion