Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE James Lovelock Thread Pt 2 (merged)

James Lovelock: 'We should be scared stiff'

Unread postby Newsseeker » Tue 20 Mar 2007, 08:59:08

Renowned scientist James Lovelock thinks mainland Europe will soon be desert - and millions of people will start moving north to Britain. Stuart Jeffries meets him http://environment.guardian.co.uk/ethic ... 70,00.html

Time to pack your bags and get movin' towards the Arctic which will be the only habitable land left. Lovelock appears every once in a while in papers (the last time was maybe three months ago) and he is a quintessential doomer of GW variety. Wonder how much he knows about PO? Gaia only provides so much crude until humanity exhausts it right about at the time that GW kicks in.

I think his timetable may be too soon but if he is talking a hundred years from now then I'll buy it. How 'bout you?
Newsseeker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: 'We should be scared stiff'

Unread postby MacG » Tue 20 Mar 2007, 09:16:38

Lovelock? The one with "Gaia"? He comes trough as some kind of New Age romantic. I dont bother to much with him.
MacG
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newsseeker » Tue 20 Mar 2007, 10:11:00

MacG wrote:Lovelock? The one with "Gaia"? He comes trough as some kind of New Age romantic. I dont bother to much with him.

He's far from New Age and a romantic but I understand you're sentiment. He is a GW doomer and I posted it just to see what the response was since GW is a popular topic here.
Newsseeker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby strider3700 » Tue 20 Mar 2007, 12:13:45

I think it was about 2000 that lovelock started pushing nuclear power as our only hope in saving the planet. He basically argued that all of the issues with it aside anything else would wipe us all out. Sometime last year people checked back with him on what he thought of the progress and he basically said go out and buy a ferrari or hummer, it doesn't matter anymore nothing can be done now.

When hardcore enviromentalists start pushing for the less of two evils you know you've really screwed things up.

When hardcore environmentalists give up and state it's too late you know you're really screwed.
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Grifter » Tue 20 Mar 2007, 18:55:29

Newsseeker wrote:
MacG wrote:Lovelock? The one with "Gaia"? He comes trough as some kind of New Age romantic. I dont bother to much with him.

He's far from New Age and a romantic but I understand you're sentiment. He is a GW doomer and I posted it just to see what the response was since GW is a popular topic here.

It can be argued that "Gaia" was hijacked by the new age, environmental, mother earth types. That put me off, but really it was simply putting the notion of the earth biosphere as a self correcting system into a word, to coin a phrase if you like.

A bit like Hawkings hand of god type stuff.
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MacG » Tue 20 Mar 2007, 19:06:05

Grifter wrote:
Newsseeker wrote:

It can be argued that "Gaia" was hijacked by the new age, environmental, mother earth types. That put me off, but really it was simply putting the notion of the earth biosphere as a self correcting system into a word, to coin a phrase if you like.

Uhu? So how could we mere humans ever come to believe that we could affect that Big Mother Gaia with our behavior then? We should be just fleas in the fur according to the original thinking?

Cognitive dissonance. Big time.
MacG
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Grifter » Tue 20 Mar 2007, 19:09:00

MacG wrote:

Uhu? So how could we mere humans ever come to believe that we could affect that Big Mother Gaia with our behavior then? We should be just fleas in the fur according to the original thinking?

Eh!

what you on about. we're part of the biosphere.

we're just clever enough to contemplate it.

Uhu?

Edit: edited for problems with quotes.
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TWilliam » Wed 21 Mar 2007, 01:06:41

MacG wrote:Uhu? So how could we mere humans ever come to believe that we could affect that Big Mother Gaia with our behavior then? We should be just fleas in the fur according to the original thinking?

Yea. Not like those itty bitty ol' cancer cells can have any kind of impact on big, bad ol' human body me... :roll:
Last edited by TWilliam on Wed 21 Mar 2007, 02:37:30, edited 1 time in total.
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby I_Like_Plants » Wed 21 Mar 2007, 02:19:31

MacG wrote: We should be just fleas in the fur according to the original thinking?

I worked for a veterinarian for a few years..... a bad enough flea infestation can make a dog REALLY sick, weaken the dog to the extent that it can die from other, opportunistic diseases and parasites.

Fleas are basically harmless in normal numbers on a healthy dog - that's like us as hunter-gatherers.
I_Like_Plants
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby katkinkate » Wed 21 Mar 2007, 05:52:47

"Lovelock has no logic.
We will be without ability to go to the arctic by 2020, no fuel, no culture and no piston driven motors.
Since he didn't see what was coming, he isn't that smart."

They'll walk. There won't be any rush. It could take decades.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby gg3 » Wed 21 Mar 2007, 09:34:57

Pstarr is right on target. No new-ager, Lovelock's scientific credentials are impeccable, and the Gaia hypothesis as he originally stated it is now the dominant paradigm in its field.

As for Lovelock's doomerish tendencies, yeah the first time I heard him say all of that I nearly pooped in my pants.

He may be right, and we can all hope he's mistaken.

As it is, we're all going to find out.
gg3
Expert
Expert

Re: A conversation with James Lovelock

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 14:44:44

Ludi, I like your emphasis on stopping. I see this more of an non-action (drawing on Taoism, here) than an action, but it is certainly what is needed now.

I like to use the word they use to train kids about how to react if their clothing catches fire: STOP, DROP, and ROLL.

STOP--as much non-discretionary travel and other unnecessarily wasteful activity as possible, starting with the easiest to stop an the most damaging per time spent doing it--flying, most meat eating...At the global level, stop spending any more money on military, stop un-sequestering any more carbon (aka extracting ffs, starting with coal, but moving rapidly to oil and then ng), stop raping the seas, forests and other ecosystems...

DROP--to a much lower-impact lifestyle, but ideally one that is much more fulfilling

ROLL--into a new way of life that does not consume more of the earth than can be regenerated (using www.myfootprint.org or other similar metrics)--this is also where some adjustments like super insulating buildings and some alternative energy sources come in. But these aren't "answers" to how we are going to continue a planet-destroying, high-consumption lifestyle.

We should carry out this program even, as seems to be the case, if the world is going to continue to spiral into runaway gw, since it is right.

But of course we won't.

We will continue to flail our arms around, spreading our fire to the rest of our clothes and to the rest of our already-on-fire house.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

THE James Lovelock Thread Pt 2 (merged)

Unread postby Lore » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 20:37:01

Cid_Yama wrote:We were just an extremely successful species, and our enormous numbers has altered the climate on a paleogeologic scale.

I would say that this is proof positive of Darwinian Evolution. Humans are more adaptable, smarter, but no less tied to our basic animal instincts.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Lore » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 20:40:59

The way things are headed, it looks like I'm going to STOP, DROP DEAD and ROLL into the grave. :wink:
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby coyote » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 21:02:58

dohboi wrote:STOP, DROP, and ROLL.

I like it.
Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive...
coyote
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 22:15:17

Cid_Yama wrote:We were just an extremely successful species, and our enormous numbers has altered the climate on a paleogeologic scale.

Don't get ahead of yourself. It's not over quite yet.
mos6507

Unread postby DefiledEngine » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 23:57:52

Quite, since humans have spread all over the world and gained such diversity, the chance to survive the next environmental catastrophe has vastly increased! That is why this kind of strategy actually seems very good in an environment like Earth's, because if we hadn't, a simply catastrophe like an asteroid or a supervolcano could truly have exterminated the human species.
DefiledEngine
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 09 Feb 2009, 01:04:37

DefiledEngine wrote:Quite, since humans have spread all over the world and gained such diversity, the chance to survive the next environmental catastrophe has vastly increased! That is why this kind of strategy actually seems very good in an environment like Earth's, because if we hadn't, a simply catastrophe like an asteroid or a supervolcano could truly have exterminated the human species.

Humans already lived through an evolutionary bottleneck in Toba before we even came close to our current population size, not to mention next to no technology. There is really no benefit in survivability in being this huge.
mos6507

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate