Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Indonesia Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Indonesia Thread (merged)

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 25 Feb 2009, 13:14:42

OF2 - get after it bud. You know me…rather tease then be serious any day. But where exactly did that statement come from? First, geosynclines are not a theory anymore than an oak tree is a theory. They are physical entities that exist. Nor is plate tectonics a theory for 99.99% of the geologists out there (a few flat earth guys are still bouncing around too). Geosynclines and plat tectonics don't compete against each other. Now the interaction, cause and effect, etc may still not be completely understood. But the Gulf Coast Basin is the Gulf Coast Geosyncline. The term geosyncline is generally reserved for major basin depo centers although I doubt anyone has quantified the difference. Like how many more trees are there in a forest vs. a grove?

It's a little odd to see the term fell out of favor with non-geologists. It is accepted geologic term amongst us, has been for over 100 years and will continue for ever. Ask any geologist you bump into what the Gulf Coast Geosyncline is and he'll know.

But I always tease the engineers about how geologist maintain job security. We make up terms and use them in reports. To understand what we've said you have to hire another geologist to translate. An example: if I told you I fell into the thalweg…where did I fall?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 25 Feb 2009, 22:19:26

If you fell into a thalweg I would guess you fell into the mouth of some giant sea beast inhabiting the fjords of Norway.

:lol:
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 26 Feb 2009, 07:23:39

Thalweg: In hydrology and fluvial geomorphology, the thalweg (sometimes called the "valley line") is a line drawn to join the lowest points along the entire length of a streambed or valley in its downward slope, defining its deepest channel. It thus marks the natural direction (the profile) of a watercourse. The thalweg is almost always the line of fastest flow in any river. The term is also sometimes used to refer to a subterranean stream that percolates under the surface and in the same general direction as the surface stream.

The thalweg principle is the principle which defines the border between two states separated by a watercourse as lying along the thalweg. The precise drawing of river borders has been important on countless occasions; notable examples include the Shatt al-Arab (known as Arvand Rud in Iran) between Iraq and Iran, the Danube in central Europe, the Kasikili/Sedudu Island dispute between Namibia and Botswana, settled by the International Court of Justice in 1999[1], and the 2004 dispute settlement under the UN Law of the Sea concerning the offshore boundary between Guyana and Suriname, in which the thalweg of the Courantyne River played a role in the ruling.

This is one of favorite geologic terms. I was assigned to research its origins when I was an undergraduate. The goal was more to teach us research techniques then to understand the terms. But it does have a rather practical application as you read above.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 01:45:48

This isn't Inodonesia, but it's the same island as one of the Indonesian ones.

>>> Rigzone <<<
InterOil's Antelope Find Could Contain 10 TCF Gas
InterOil Corp. Monday, March 02, 2009

InterOil announced that its Antelope-1 well flowed at 382 million cubic feet of natural gas per day (MMcfd) with 5,000 barrels of condensate per day (BCPD) for a total 68,700 barrels of oil equivalent per day (BOEPD), setting a new record rate for the country of Papua New Guinea.

The flow test recorded a maximum calculated rate at 545 MMcfd for a dry gas reading through a 6 inch capacity choke that was only opened to 3 1/2 inches or about 30% of capacity. Conservatively adjusting the dry gas flow rate of 545 MMcfd to compensate for 13 Bbls of condensate per MMcf results in the 382 MMcf effective gas flow rate reported above.

As far as the company is aware, the world record breaking gas flow rate from a vertical well confirms other records recently established by the well, such as the largest vertical hydrocarbon column height in a single onshore carbonate reef structure and the largest calculated absolute open flow (CAOF) at 17.7 Billion cubic feet of natural gas per day. The well results establish the country of Papua New Guinea as a world class gas resource base in close proximity to the largest and most well developed LNG market in the world.

[...]

From the InterOil website, here's where this thing is located. It's located in block PPL238, which is the big onshore one in the middle.

copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Most wanted man, Noordin Mohammad Top is dead again!

Unread postby ohanian » Thu 17 Sep 2009, 09:12:53

INDONESIA'S most wanted Islamic militant, Noordin Mohammad Top, has died during a police raid on a house in Central Java, police say.
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Indonesia mulls tearing down Obama statue

Unread postby mattduke » Tue 26 Jan 2010, 20:20:44

Indonesian authorities said Monday they are considering a petition to tear down a statue of US President Barack Obama as a boy, only a month after the bronze was unveiled in Jakarta.

"We've been discussing for the past two weeks what to do with the statue... whether to take it down, move it elsewhere or retain it. We're finding the best solution," Jakarta parks agency official Dwi Bintarto said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... UFGhAJkDpg
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 16 Mar 2010, 23:14:04

A quadrillion cubic feet! 8O

>>> LINKY <<<
Indonesia plans to launch tenders for the development of shale gas fields later this year, aiming to tap reserves estimated at 1,000 tcf.
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 08 Apr 2014, 09:40:49

Do we have any members from Indonesia who can speak to the issue of Transmigration? It recently came to my attention and I would like to know what the people of Indonesia think rather than just the stuff I find on Wikipedia and simpler online blog style resources.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 08 Apr 2014, 11:02:01

http://youtu.be/0cPLzna5qjE

Transmigration has not always been a peaceful process.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: The Energy Potential of Geopressurized Brine

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 08 Apr 2014, 12:54:45

Wellhead blowout triggers hot mud volcano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidoarjo_m ... al_process
The Sidoarjo mud flow or Lapindo mud (informally abbreviated as Lusi, a contraction of Lumpur Sidoarjo wherein lumpur is the Indonesian word for mud) is the result of an erupting mud volcano[1] in the subdistrict of Porong, Sidoarjo in East Java, Indonesia that has been in eruption since May 2006. It is the biggest mud volcano in the world; responsibility for it was credited to the blowout of a natural gas well drilled by PT Lapindo Brantas, although some scientists[2] and company officials contend it was caused by a distant earthquake.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 08 Apr 2014, 15:34:14

If the mud volcano is from a bad gas well doesn't it present an fire hazzard from free methane escaping?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Indonesia eyes return to OPEC as oil crisis looms

Unread postby Graeme » Sun 12 Jul 2015, 18:32:40

Indonesia eyes return to OPEC as oil crisis looms

Inonesia is seeking to rejoin OPEC to gain access to cheaper oil supplies as demand soars and domestic production falls, but critics say the move is an unwelcome distraction from efforts to overhaul the country's troubled energy sector. Resource-rich Indonesia, Southeast Asia's largest economy, was part of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) for almost 50 years until suspending its membership in 2009 after becoming a net oil importer. The switch to becoming an importer came as domestic demand soared and output dropped due to a lack of investment from foreign companies, put off by complex regulations, corruption and growing economic nationalism.

With oil imports surging as the economy booms and the energy sector still in urgent need of reform, the government is looking for cheaper supplies, and has taken an unusual step for an oil importer of requesting to rejoin the 12-member exporting cartel. "It is only natural that we should build relations with exporters," Energy Minister Sudirman Said said before heading to an OPEC meeting at the organization's headquarters in Vienna last month, where he was seeking to have the suspension lifted. After the meeting, the energy ministry said that some OPEC members had backed Indonesia's rejoining.

dailysabah
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Indonesia eyes return to OPEC as oil crisis looms

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 12 Jul 2015, 18:37:56

E is for export. Indonesia has no oil for export, why would OPEC want their membership?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby sparky » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 03:58:54

Indonesia is the biggest coal Producer in the world and the second biggest coal Exporter
as far as economics are concerned the palm oil business is marginal
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 04:26:06

We are in the top 3 or 4 coal producers, with the second biggest Uranium supply, can Australia join OPEC & get a discount on oil? Weird.

Indonesia has been flip flopping with the hottest issue in the country for about a decade. No longer a net exporter, real world pricing leaves the regulated & expectant market in the dust, holding out an old drink bottle of watered splutterjuice, just enough octane to run a scooter, "Sir! You buy?!"

Indonesia is a guinea pig for ELM. It does have other significant resources & an extremely tolerant & relatively very oil efficient workforce, but the pain of growing imports is forcing rape of the landscape to increase at the same time as there has been more pressure than ever to reverse this horrific process.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby sparky » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 08:53:25

@ SeaGypsy
Indonesia is first in production and second in exports
Australia is second in production and first in exports
if coal is a drug , we are the world pusher
we are the Saudi Arabia of coal , as far as internal electrical energy production goes we are close to 100% coal
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Sat 03 Oct 2015, 11:27:39

"It's Been 50 Years Since the Biggest US-Backed Genocide You've Never Heard Of"

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... ever-heard
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 04 Oct 2015, 09:52:01

Yes the 20th century is littered with mass killings and disappearances induced by the US. See South and Central America.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion