Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE India Thread pt 2 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

India’s Insatiable thirst for oil

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 20:51:45

In the Eighties, consumption of oil was the highest in Europe followed by North America. European oil demand, more or less, remained stagnant over the last 15 years, whereas Asian-Pacific countries picked up consumption in the Nineties. Notably, the current demand drivers are India and China. There are multiple competing arguments supporting oil consumption growth in the Asia-Pacific region. The most significant reason behind demand growth is linked to the development cycle of emerging economies in the Asia-Pacific region, especially India and China. Like China, India is undergoing a transition from ‘developing’ to ‘developed’ stage, resulting in an exponential increase in the demand for energy. India’s crude oil import increased from 99 million metric tonnes (MT) in 2005-06 to 214 MT in 2016-17, registering a compound annual growth rate of 7.2 per cent. In 2016, India registered a GDP growth rate

India’s Insatiable thirst for oil
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: THE India Thread pt 2 (merged)

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 21:57:13

Yup, just as people keep pointing out China and India are now major oil consuming nations and still rapidly growing.

With veva Billion people in India if even a third come to wn cars that will be more than the USA total. As s most of their vehicles remain little scooters heavily overloaded. Those people want cars not just as symbols, but as useful ways to haul goods and people around.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 22:39:00

Tanada

I wonder if that dam was on one of the rivers that flows into Pakistan?

I know there was talk of faking them and perhaps diverting the water.

Potential fighting words thereabouts.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 31 Dec 2017, 00:01:14

Newfie wrote:Tanada

I wonder if that dam was on one of the rivers that flows into Pakistan?

I know there was talk of faking them and perhaps diverting the water.

Potential fighting words thereabouts.

I couldn't find them on the old map I have but the article says North East, which would be the border with Nepal and Bangladesh. Pakistan and Afghanistan are on India's North West. The North East corner of India is actually one of the largest Christian populated areas of the country, the other is in the far south on the west coast near the southern 'tip' of India. That doesn't necessarily make it Christian majority, just the largest minority of the competing factions with Hindu, Buddhists and Islamism making up the other three major flavors of faith.

India is a very complicated country, in some cases the Islamists and Christians join together politically against the Hindu's which are the national majority but regional minority in the northern reaches of the country. The borders of Pakistan and Bangladesh were carved out in a haphazard arbitrary pattern when the British finally relinquished control and a lot of people of both Islamist and Hindu persuasions had to move across the border to get back to a place where they were a majority and didn't fear the other major religion in their area.

To make the water fights even more complicated some of the biggest rivers actually start out on the Tibet plateau on the other side of Nepal and and from time to time China makes noises about digging diversion canals and damming those headwaters to flow off the other side of the plateau into China for irrigation projects. So far it is not much more than talk, but who knows what the future might bring?
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 31 Dec 2017, 10:34:36

Yes, NE vs NW, brain fart.

And yes India is a bewildering country, extremely complex. I’ve very little desire to visit.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 00:36:08

Newfie wrote:Yes, NE vs NW, brain fart.

And yes India is a bewildering country, extremely complex. I’ve very little desire to visit.

When I was young I thought visiting the Taj Mahal would be a fantastic experience because I love architectural oddities. Same with the Kremlin in Moscow with its varied different onion domes in different styles, or that Cathedral in Paris where one tower was knocked down in an earthquake and the replacement tower was built in a completely different style.

Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 10 Feb 2018, 11:00:56

Mumbai/New Delhi: Even though India aspires to sell only electric vehicles by 2030, it still sees gasoline and diesel consumption doubling over that period. The two ideas may not be contradictory.

Electric vehicles will take time to become affordable enough for price-sensitive Indian masses, according to the country’s energy forecaster. During that time, gasoline and diesel vehicles will remain the mainstay as cars and scooters sold in the next few years will stay roadworthy for at least a decade after.

“The government is only aiming for 100% electric vehicles sales by 2030,” Suresh Sivanandam, the Singapore-based head of Asia refining research at Wood Mackenzie Ltd, said in an email. “We should still see gasoline demand growing until 2030 but the pace of the growth slows down beyond 2030.”

The Petroleum Planning and Analysis Cell of the country’s oil ministry estimates that both gasoline and diesel consumption in the fastest growing oil consumer will double by 2030. Wood Mackenzie too believes that gasoline demand will double by 2030, while diesel may only grow by a third to 113 million tons by 2030.

In addition, while the electric vehicle goal has been spoken of by various ministers in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government, it hasn’t been formulated into an official policy yet.

“The government is yet to release a policy paper on electric vehicles,” Sivanandam said. “That would set the tone for how serious the government is about this ambition.”

In the meantime, growing income levels are spurring more Indians to buy traditional cars and scooters. India sold more than 17.5 million scooters and motorcycles in the year ended March 31 and annual sales have grown about seven percent in three of the last four years. Car sales grew more than seven percent in the last two years.

The International Energy Agency, which last May termed India’s EV plan “ambitious,” sees the country as the center of global oil demand until 2030. Bloomberg
First Published: Fri, Feb 09 2018. 09 20 AM IST

LINK
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 22 Jun 2021, 18:24:03

"India was, is, and will be nowhere in the world"
https://asiatimes.com/2021/06/india-was ... the-world/

"Recall a few facts. India, among the South Asian countries, is at the bottom of the Global Hunger Index, 2020. India even lags behind literally starving countries such as Congo, Ethiopia and Angola.

One in five Indians still earns under US$37.50 a month – and 88.87 percent of the population or, in other words, nine out of ten, still make less than US$ 165 a month in India.

Economic activity in India is limited to a tiny population. Out of a population of 1.36 billion, only 14.6 million people had taxable income in the fiscal year 2018/2019. India’s taxable income is above the figure of US$6,750.

Only 4.6 million Indians earn more than one million Indian rupees, an amount that equals slightly less than US$13,500."

I have been fascinated with Eastern cultures all my life, particularly the Japanese, Indian, and Chinese, but also the Korean and others. I've never cared much for Western civilization, which I consider a dead end road. I have always been completely convinced that India will become a failed state before becoming a developed nation. There are countless reasons for this opinion I have. I wish it wasn't so because this implies a lot of unnecessary human suffering, but I have no serious doubts about this. I have been a Yoga practitioner for 25 years and a Yoga teacher for 15. I love India and Indians. I would love to be proven wrong.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 22 Jun 2021, 20:19:43

Juan,

I am jo India expert but simply the fact they have nearly 20% of the world population makes them something. And they have food, or at least arable land, something China lacks.

As the world approaches the limits to growth the more developed nations have more to loose, more adaption is required, and that may well lead to more internal instability. India may find that not have as far to fall is a blessing.

You and the author may be correct, but there was not much in the article to make a substantive case for his position.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 04 Aug 2023, 21:20:50

https://twitter.com/NiMingda_GG/status/ ... 7840589824

Modi India’s strategy:

1. Exploit U.S./Western lawmakers’ hatred of China to convince them to shift investment to India

2. Undermine China’s effort to build an alternative financial system for the Global South by staying in BRICS

3. Get as much cheap Russian oil while it can
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 06 Aug 2023, 00:01:32

https://twitter.com/Kanthan2030/status/ ... 8244171776

Here’s a warning for India’s foreign policy establishment:

The US will dump India and switch to China in a jiffy, if the Chinese offer a better deal.

Here’s why. The US is run by financial overlords — the likes of Blackrock, Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 03 Oct 2023, 23:03:44

India is a member of the BRICS now, but it's in the G20, which is the Western alliance, but perhaps not in it for long?

India Orders 41 Canadian Diplomats Expelled In Latest Escalation
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... escalation

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Asia Discussion