Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Hyperloop is coming:Musk will reveal plans for Hyperloop

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Over 100 engineers are now working on Elon Musk's hyperl

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 20 Dec 2014, 21:46:27

Newfie wrote:And NONE from any company that knows anything remotely about ground transport..

And he knew nothing about rocket engines or aerospace either, before he did it, and he new nothing about ev's and cars, and he new nothing about solar panels.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 20 Dec 2014, 21:48:23

Newfie wrote:I can't decide if it looks more like a casket or a suppository.

Lol, the "hyperloop enema." It'll take your breath away! :lol:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: The Hyperloop is coming:Musk will reveal plans for Hyper

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 22 Dec 2014, 17:37:11

pstarr wrote:Somebody must be hyping this big sausage!

Hyperloopers should go for some product placement sponsorship so they can build this thang

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 23 Dec 2014, 00:30:47

BTW, did anyone else find this amusing:
Hyperloop Transportation has drawn up maps with lines connecting every major U.S. city.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 23 Dec 2014, 02:05:30

pstarr wrote:Not so much funny, but impossible. Consider the cost:
Figure $400,000/100ft, similar quality to a custom-built steel/glass structure on top of engineered pylons. That would be $20 million/mile, $16 billion for just the 800-mile SF-LA leg. Cost doesn't include the de-compressors, controllers, electrical transmission, stations, and the cars themselves. idiotic.
But they've already drawn up a map with lines on it. That's a start. :lol:
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ayoob » Thu 25 Dec 2014, 03:28:26

Vineyard wrote:Sorry, if I take Musk annoucements with a lot grain of salt. Musk is a master of PR stunts, but lot of his doing is just hype.

There is a german blogger, who wrote a lot of interesting critical articles about Musk and specially his company SpaceX. Very interesting stuff.

Well that was a fascinating link! Thanks!
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 25 Dec 2014, 12:43:45

I notice they've drawn a 500 km line between Boise and Spokane (pop. 208,000 each).
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ayoob » Thu 25 Dec 2014, 21:14:31

Sixstrings wrote:
Newfie wrote:And NONE from any company that knows anything remotely about ground transport..

And he knew nothing about rocket engines or aerospace either, before he did it, and he new nothing about ev's and cars, and he new nothing about solar panels.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. I think he's our era's DaVinci.

Elon, how did you learn how to build rockets?

"I read books and talked to people."
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Timo » Fri 26 Dec 2014, 10:25:36

Newfie wrote:I can't decide if it looks more like a casket or a suppository.

Yes! It is!
Timo

Unread postby Timo » Fri 26 Dec 2014, 10:38:26

Newfie wrote:Just FYI, what problem does this purport to solve?

What problem does this technology purport to solve? What did the canal proport to solve? What did the train purport to solve? What did the horse and bugge purport to solve? What did the car purport to solve? What did the train, and plane, the bullet train, the jet, the Concorde, the rocket engine, the steam engine, the nuclear reactor, the microwave oven, the telegraph, the telephone, the satelite phone, the cell phone, the Macintosh, the PC, the tablet, or even the pencil and paper purport to solve?

They all were superior in fulfilling a need that humans developed for themselves, using less energy that the previous technology.

I'll retract that claim for the various modes of transportation. Those advanced techologies simply saved time in stead of energy. The Hyperloop, however, saves both time and energy. With the Hyperloop, if you live halfway across the country from your mother, you can take the afternoon off from work, hop inside a tube, and be there in time for dinner, and still get back home in time for your date with Jennifer Lawrence. What's not to like about that?

Or, i could live in Denver, commute to work in Seatle, loop down to LA for my date with Jennifer Lawrence, and still get back home to my wife in Denver before bedtime.

After the Hyperloop is finished, i highly suspect, and even expect Musk to build a Hyperloop to the Moon, and then on to Mars.
Last edited by Timo on Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Timo

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:04:04

How many thread topics about this Imaginary super vacuum train do we need?

post1155034.html
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Timo » Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:12:39

Subjectivist wrote:How many thread topics about this Imaginary super vacuum train do we need?

post1155034.html

Point taken, but this is the HyperThread!
Timo

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 17:05:23

Elon Musk: Hyperloop test track likely for Texas

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk is taking a next step with one of his favorite pet projects, the Hyperloop tube high-speed transport system.

He tweeted Thursday that there will be a Hyperloop test track built in Texas for companies and student teams to test out their transport pods. Interesting choice of places to build it as well: Texas.

Backers of the idea of a tube that can whiz travelers to their destinations inside of pod, or transport vehicles, as hundreds of miles an hour put out a paper a few weeks ago that outlined the feasibility. They envision the first Hyperlook going from San Francisco to Los Angeles, a project they believe would be far cheaper and more efficient than building a high-speed train. Connecting the two cities by Hyperloop could mean making the 400-mile journey in under an hour.

usatoday
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 17:06:30

pstarr wrote:How many hyperloopy threads do we need? They are tangled up and are going nowhere.

http://peakoil.com/forums/over-100-engineers-are-now-working-on-elon-musk-s-hyperloop-t70726.html

All the hyperloop threds should be connected, via hyperloop.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 17:11:14

pstarr wrote:$16 billion for just the 800-mile SF-LA leg. Cost doesn't include the de-compressors, controllers, electrical transmission, stations, and the cars themselves. idiotic.

This hyperloop would be major, future generational, once in two lifetimes type of Eisenhower Insterstate Highway system infrastructure. Leading to a boom in growth and change, built on that new infrastructure and the novelty of masses of goods transited so rapidly like a train but about as fast as a jet.

The freight potential is a bigger deal than passengers.

Given all the above, $16 billion for 800 miles is not bad at all. $16 billion really ain't nothin -- don't you all remember the "stimulus" and stupid crap that all got spent on. Wasn't that like $300 or $500 billion? And what do we have to show for it, anything super cool that will last generations? Anything that actualy sparked any new growth?

Something big has to be done, now and then. And it's been a very long time since we've done anything like that, like the interstate system. People poo pooed that back then too, they said it was outrageously expensive and hubris to think you can build interstate highways across the whole country. Eisenhower was right though. These became the new railroads. Towns and cities sprung up, around the interstate exists. Same will be true of the hyperloop, it's the next railroad, the next interstate.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 01 Mar 2015, 19:47:40

Construction begins 2016 for Hyperloop on five-mile stretch
One noteworthy aspect about the announcement is that the 2016 track initiative is not a scale model. "It's the real deal," said Davies. Running speed will be reduced on the shortened track from Hyperloop's full potential. While it's not the full-scale version, it will be using "magnets and fans to push passenger pods through five miles of depressurized tubes at speeds of up to 200 mph," said Rob Crilly in The Telegraph on Saturday.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sun 01 Mar 2015, 20:57:43

pstarr wrote:
wanna bet

Not unless unicorns show up first!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion