Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread 2022-2023

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread 2013-2022

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 06 Jun 2022, 09:54:31

vtsnowedin wrote:
JuanP wrote:US gasoline prices have doubled under Biden!

Yes and that alone is going to cost the Democrats both the house and Senate come November.

It certainly could. I watch Chris Christy as often as I can on George's Sunday morning show, the guy has more than a functioning brain and uses it quite well, particularly against some of the libtards stacked against him. He mentions gas prices in exactly the way people feel about them, and the Democans on that panel want nothing to do with mentioning them. They know what this particular metric means to their political viability, particularly in combination with increased food prices at the grocery at the same time.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 09 Jun 2022, 13:18:17

In Vermont I paid $4.999/ gallon yesterday. Every state is expected to be $5.00 and above ether today or tomorrow. That is a $0.40 /g jump in a week.
At that rate I'll have to revise my billboard upward as they will already have $9.00 gas by October. So I'll have to make it read "want $12.00 gas? Vote for the Democrats!!"
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby mousepad » Thu 09 Jun 2022, 14:16:20

vtsnowedin wrote:So I'll have to make it read "want $12.00 gas? Vote for the Democrats!!"

As a conservative I can fully support high gas prices. It helps to conserve. I think that's the right thing.
However I believe you're correct that the libtards are going to get a beating. But I was hoping they get a beating for their woke bullshit, not high gas prices.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 09 Jun 2022, 18:25:13

mousepad wrote:As a conservative I can fully support high gas prices. It helps to conserve.

As an independent, I can also fully suppport gas prices. And have been since 1986 when low ones torpedoed a chunk of my career, and everyone was whining about "Buy MERICUN!" but they didn't include domestic crude oil and natural gas in that catcall.

mousepad wrote:However I believe you're correct that the libtards are going to get a beating. But I was hoping they get a beating for their woke bullshit, not high gas prices.

why does it matter they get their whuppin' as long as they get it?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 15:05:14

Gasoline in my town hit $5.099/gallon yesterday which is a goof fifty cents higher than the 2008 record prices.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby C8 » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 22:47:20

Tanada wrote:Gasoline in my town hit $5.099/gallon yesterday which is a goof fifty cents higher than the 2008 record prices.

Gas prices have a psychological effect due to the fact that they are the one price everyone sees in large print- its almost an advertisement for inflation. When people fill up their cars, they see their money disappearing in real time on the pump price screen.

But after two years of lockdown people are gonna drive no matter what this summer.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 23:03:52

$4.69/gal for regular unleaded at a Denver area local grocery store this evening.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 13:07:58

Unleaded regular $5.49, Diesel $6.59. Remember when diesel was always cheaper than regular? I do.

Peace, seems to be a lost dream...
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 17:02:26

C8 wrote:
But after two years of lockdown people are gonna drive no matter what this summer.

I saw a thread on reddit, and over there a lot of average joes post where as here it's monied up old boomers for the most part. Anyway one person started the thread by saying they are selling their car and walking to work because they simply can't afford it anymore. A reasonable walk it was too. Then dozens of others posted up they were as well. The gas price was simply the last straw on top of maintenance, insurance, registration costs.

Some years back I read a quote that said the 'Depression' was already here, it just wasn't being equally shared and I see that clearly in my little town where the poorer people turn most of their lights off at 6pm just to save power. Talking to a neighbor last Thursday the subject of fuel prices came up and he was quite despondent about them. He's a self-employed man with a young family and mortgage and his work involves a lot of driving. I was self-employed myself before retirement and drove a fair bit but gas was never an issue. I was well setup by that stage with no debts, and since then gas has gone up 60% as well.

It all boils down to how wealthy you are.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby C8 » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 17:25:29

theluckycountry wrote:
C8 wrote:

I saw a thread on reddit, and over there a lot of average joes post where as here it's monied up old boomers for the most part. Anyway one person started the thread by saying they are selling their car and walking to work because they simply can't afford it anymore. A reasonable walk it was too. Then dozens of others posted up they were as well. The gas price was simply the last straw on top of maintenance, insurance, registration costs.

Some years back I read a quote that said the 'Depression' was already here, it just wasn't being equally shared and I see that clearly in my little town where the poorer people turn most of their lights off at 6pm just to save power. Talking to a neighbor last Thursday the subject of fuel prices came up and he was quite despondent about them. He's a self-employed man with a young family and mortgage and his work involves a lot of driving. I was self-employed myself before retirement and drove a fair bit but gas was never an issue. I was well setup by that stage with no debts, and since then gas has gone up 60% as well.

It all boils down to how wealthy you are.

I fully concur with the bolded part above in your quote- the financial class has created serfdom through mortgages and other debt instruments to keep workers poor. The financial class also funds the endless dream machine of advertisements to make credit seem painless.

It is not far off to say that bankers are the real world equivalent of the devil in Faust in that they tempt young people and then get them to sign their soul away on the dotted line for endless debt and slavery. But of course, "the people" are often filled with their own foolishness and ignore the advice to not sign.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 21:11:39

C8 wrote:bankers are the real world equivalent of the devil in Faust in that they tempt young people and then get them to sign their soul away on the dotted line for endless debt and slavery. But of course, "the people" are often filled with their own foolishness and ignore the advice to not sign.

Bankers don't "tempt" people and bankers aren't the devil......bankers are actually useful and important because they are the ones who loan money and make it possible for people who aren't rich to buy houses on credit.

Relax......bankers aren't the devil. IN fact its bankers who actually help those people who aren't rich buy houses by loaning them money.

The problem is the overall economy and in particular the housing market itself......its susceptible to bubbles and collapses. That means that buyers have to be careful when they make a house purchase. If at all possibly buyers should be very careful when it comes to the timing of a large purchase like a house.

For instance.....Its foolish to buy into the peak of a housing bubble. AND IMHO the USA and much of the world is in a housing bubble now.

But bubbles don't last forever. There is a very good chance the USA and much of the world is going to go into a major recession over the next year.

My advice is to be patient and trust that the housing bubble will eventually pop and housing prices will come back down.....and when housing prices collapse that will be the time to buy a house.

I just sold a property here in Alaska because I think the housing bubble is near its peak and will eventually pop, taking housing prices back down.

When the housing bubble pops and prices fall next year I'll see what's available then. I've got my eye on a nice beach community with some truly lovely ocean-view cabins. But right now the price is too darn high......so I'm waiting.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mousepad » Thu 16 Jun 2022, 13:57:32

I just visited Los Angeles. Gas was so cheap there that freeways were choke full of traffic, with no noticeable reduction from 5 years ago.
I really wish we finally had some expensive gas.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 16 Jun 2022, 14:02:55

mousepad wrote:I just visited Los Angeles. Gas was so cheap there that freeways were choke full of traffic, with no noticeable reduction from 5 years ago.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Tax it all to $250/bbl and stand back and see what happens. This penny-anty nonsense where real prices aren't even as expensive as they were within the last decade or two is ridiculous. We need to all be humans who care! $10/gal for everyone! And if that doesn't work? $20!

$4.89/gal regular unleaded, Front Range of Colorado as of 2 days ago when I was forced to fuel one of the antiques.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 16 Jun 2022, 20:46:59

mousepad wrote:I just visited Los Angeles. Gas was so cheap there that freeways were choke full of traffic, with no noticeable reduction from 5 years ago.

You still have to get to work and one of you has to pick up the children from whatever sport or class they do after school.
I did not keep accurate records but with three children I estimate I put on 100,000 miles doing "fetch a kid"
Now when I was school aged back in the sixties my parents did not have the means to fetch and carry me to and from and any activity that could not be done on the regular school bus schedule so they were non starter or meant a five mile uphill walk. The kids in the village close to the school got all the action.
If these high fuel prices persist for a couple of years a lot of kids will find there is a limit to how much fetch a kid they are entitled to.
Probably be a good life lesson for them.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Doly » Sat 18 Jun 2022, 14:51:11

If these high fuel prices persist for a couple of years a lot of kids will find there is a limit to how much fetch a kid they are entitled to.

Completely agree. Anyway, I never understood the willingness of parents to do that sort of thing. I also grew up never being fetched and the idea itself not even being in the radar for my parents. Kids were supposed to be able to fend for themselves a lot more.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mousepad » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 07:45:07

I went to the dump in my small (relatively poor) rural town. Young farmers bringing in trash and unloading their big F350. Idling the truck all the time. Gas is so cheap that relatively poor local farm boys can afford to have a F350 sit and idle for 30min.

We need higher gas prices.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 07:52:37

mousepad wrote:

I went to the dump in my small (relatively poor) rural town. Young farmers bringing in trash and unloading their big F350. Idling the truck all the time. Gas is so cheap that relatively poor local farm boys can afford to have a F350 sit and idle for 30min.

Idling fuel use vs starter wear is an old debate. A gallon of fuel gas or diesel will last about an hour at idle and about six minutes pulling a F350 up a slight grade. A rebuilt starter about $350. The farm boys can do the math.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby mousepad » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 09:24:22

vtsnowedin wrote: The farm boys can do the math.

Never in my 35 years of car ownership (owning a few very old cars) I had to rebuild a starter.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mousepad » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 09:43:59

vtsnowedin wrote:
mousepad wrote:

Idling fuel use vs starter wear is an old debate. A gallon of fuel gas or diesel will last about an hour at idle and about six minutes pulling a F350 up a slight grade. A rebuilt starter about $350. The farm boys can do the math.

So the farm boy goes to the dump once per week, idling for 30min each time. This is about 50[weeks] * 30[min] * 1 [gallon/h] * 5 [$/gallon] = $125/year to save 50 starter uses?
Are you sure the farm boy can do the math?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 10:02:47

mousepad wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
mousepad wrote:

So the farm boy goes to the dump once per week, idling for 30min each time. This is about 50[weeks] * 30[min] * 1 [gallon/h] * 5 [$/gallon] = $125/year to save 50 starter uses?
Are you sure the farm boy can do the math?

It would be more like 20 visits (a F150 holds more then a weeks trash)X 10 min each so 3.3 gallons or $17 of gas to save 20 starts.
My Subaru has the feature where it shuts down the engine at each traffic stop then restarts automatically as soon as you let off the brake. It is SOO annoying. There is a switch to shut it off but it resets to on every time you park the car.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion