Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread 2022-2023

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread 2013-2022

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 29 May 2022, 10:07:53

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Tanada wrote:My closest Meijer gas station has dropped all the way to $4.269/gallon. That is better than a couple weeks ago which is kind of a surprise as I was expecting another hike for the Memorial Day Weekend traffic. Guess they plan to make up for it in volume?

Would that be Canadian supplied gas or Oklahoma/Cushing? About a third of Gas in Vermont comes down from Canada as one chain gas station owns shares in a refinery near Montreal.

Is there an easy way to tell? I bought gas in Burlington from a Shell station, probably closer as traveled on roads to the Canadian border than where Tanada lives, assuming Tanada lives about where I think they do.

The Irving stations are the Canadian supply. But they don't sell it any cheaper then the competitor across the street.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 29 May 2022, 10:11:43

vtsnowedin wrote:
AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Tanada wrote:My closest Meijer gas station has dropped all the way to $4.269/gallon. That is better than a couple weeks ago which is kind of a surprise as I was expecting another hike for the Memorial Day Weekend traffic. Guess they plan to make up for it in volume?

Would that be Canadian supplied gas or Oklahoma/Cushing? About a third of Gas in Vermont comes down from Canada as one chain gas station owns shares in a refinery near Montreal.

Is there an easy way to tell? I bought gas in Burlington from a Shell station, probably closer as traveled on roads to the Canadian border than where Tanada lives, assuming Tanada lives about where I think they do.

The Irving stations are the Canadian supply. But they don't sell it any cheaper then the competitor across the street.

One good thing is the highest grade gas from Canada has no ethanol in it so it is better for two cycle engines like chain saws and string trimmers.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 29 May 2022, 13:04:16

vtsnowedin wrote: One good thing is the highest grade gas from Canada has no ethanol in it so it is better for two cycle engines like chain saws and string trimmers.

I just saw maybe three weeks ago that the EPA or some other federal alphabet soup agency has authorized all states to hike E-10 which has been around since the 1980's up to E-15 in hopes of placating the Iowa farmers lobbyists. The stupidity to me is that the Feds have not mandated that all cars sold new in the USA after date X (which should have been 31Dec1993 IMO) by E-85 compliant. That simple rules change done when E-85 first became available would have been a trivial change in manufacturing new vehicles and by 2003 the majority of ICE gasoline engines would have been fully flex fuel. In point of fact I have seen many claims that the only difference between a GM or Ford E-85 vehicle today is one sensor on the fuel system and a costless switch in computer code supporting the new sensor. The reason for this is simple, they had to produce a minimum number of E-85 vehicles and quickly figured out that the trivial cost of using the more robust fuel system parts and seals for all new vehicles was less inventory complexity and led to greater long run savings that switching types between E-85 and E-10 compliant systems.

Every vehicle built after about 2000 AD in America has E-85 compliant fuel tanks, lines and seals throughout. That means instituting a full compliance rule for the 2024 model year would cost only in the addition of a single fuel sensor and a software change. Brazil has had E-100 universal compliance since the 1970's when the government mandated it so they can operate their civilian and military equipment on everything from E-0 to E-100 and every increment in between. The fact that automotive manufacturers selling into the US market have not had the same standards as Brazil for decades without major issues demonstrates the power of lobbying in American legislative practices.

Edit to add relevant information
LINK
While many North Americans may not know it, Brazil presently leads the world in deploying biofuels for road vehicles.

Specifically, a majority of cars sold in Brazil--especially lower-priced high-volume models built in the country--can run either on gasoline or pure ethanol.

The modern history dates back to 1975, when the South American country began its “Programa Nacional Álcohol” to counteract the soaring oil and gasoline prices that followed the 1973 oil crisis.

Even before then, however, ethanol had been blended into Brazil's gasoline supplies, starting with a 5-percent mix in 1931.

During World War II, with German submarine attacks threatening the country's oil supply, the "gasoline" used to fuel cars of the 1920s and 1930s could contain as much as 50 percent ethanol,

The country's use of ethanol over the last 40 years can be divided into two eras: the ethanol-only-car era, and the flex-fuel era.

From cane field to tank

But following the 1973 oil-price shock, the country's main agricultural crop, sugar cane, was pressed into duty for a new purpose: it served as the feedstock for ethanol refineries, creating a largely renewable liquid fuel that could be used to replace gasoline altogether in powering internal combustion engines.

Cars capable of running on ethanol arrived on the Brazilian market in the late 1970s. In those days, before electronic fuel injection replaced carburetors, they could run either on E100 ethanol or conventional gasoline—but not both.

Those first ethanol-powered cars included popular models from Fiat, Renault, Volkswagen, and other makers. The Fiat 147 was the first commercially available ethanol-capable car sold in dealerships, starting in July 1979.

The Volkswagen Sedan 1300 entered production that year as well, and by October 1980, the rest of the VW lineup in Brazil offered ethanol-capable models.

Still, many of those cars suffered from a reluctance to start in cold weather, and sometimes erratic running characteristics.

Cars for the poor

Ethanol was then cheaper than gasoline—even after accounting for the lower energy content that produces fewer miles per gallon—but many Brazilians today recall those early E100 vehicles as “poor peoples’ cars,” bought solely because they were cheaper to own and run...

Since 1993, the mix has stood at E22, or 22 percent ethanol—though the percentage is set annually, varying between 20 and 25 percent, depending on each year’s sugar crop yield.

A new era of ethanol use arrived in the early 2000s, when far more capable computerized engine-control units and port fuel injection allowed the introduction of flex-fuel cars. They could run on E100, E22 petrol, or any mix in between that might be produced by refilling a tank with a different fuel...

The first carmaker to launch such flex-fuel vehicles in Brazil was Volkswagen. It introduced the first Gol capable of running on any liquid fuel (including the G100 gasoline found in Argentina) in March 2003.

Built since 1980, the VW Gol has now been Brazil’s most popular vehicle for 27 years. Volkswagen do Brasil has built more than 7.5 million of the five-door hatchback, which would be considered a subcompact in North America. (The small VW is also a major export earner for Brazil, with more than 1 million Gols sold in 60 countries around the world.)

Volkswagen now builds flex-fuel capability into every engine and every car manufactured in Brazil. Close to a dozen other carmakers do the same, including Chevrolet, Fiat, Ford, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault, and Toyota...

For what its worth Henry Ford built Ethanol flexibility into his Model A engine of the 1920's and Ford Motor Company only dropped the flexibility from their designs after Ford Sr. retired. IOW it could have been a normal part of American automotive engineering for almost a century if not for super cheap gasoline and government policies encouraging Gasoline and Diesel mono-fuel systems as standard.

On another note the International Harvester company built hundreds of thousands of flex fuel engines both for tractors/Heavy Equipment and stationary engines that could run equally well on gasoline or diesel fuel at the flip of a lever by the operator. They did it to have a cheap convenient warm up system to heat the engine up running on Gasoline before switching over to run on Diesel but you could quite effectively stay in Gasoline burning mode if you so desired if say there was a Diesel shortage in your area for some reason.
Last edited by Tanada on Sun 29 May 2022, 13:20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded and revised post
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 29 May 2022, 13:45:46

Can we afford to turn corn into ethanol when the world faces a food shortage from the war in Ukraine? Corn was at $380 when Biden took office and $657 when the war began , it is a $771 now.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 29 May 2022, 14:36:46

vtsnowedin wrote:Can we afford to turn corn into ethanol when the world faces a food shortage from the war in Ukraine? Corn was at $380 when Biden took office and $657 when the war began , it is a $771 now.

Oil prices were low when Trump was president, but now the Biden administration is trying to reverse every single Trump policy.....and they've certainly succeeded in raising gasoline prices.

Biden said just last week that the high prices we are seeing now are helping us transition to the glorious future where everyone will be driving a $100,000 EV.....and thats a good thing! I chalk up the high gas prices I see as just another big success for the Biden administration and the Ds.

Oil prices were stable and relatively low under Trump, but after only one year in office Biden has successfully reversed that policy to give us much higher gasoline prices. The huge increases in gasoline prices are a grand success for the Biden administration and their progressive economic policies.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby evilgenius » Mon 30 May 2022, 10:12:55

The only real problem with the price of gas is that if it were double most people would still pay it! These are the last few years a person will be able to say that, however. Electric cars, right now, are so much more expensive that their price doesn't make them cheaper. Things like division of labor, as electric car manufacture becomes more and more real, should combine with other efficiencies and change that. People who have enough clout, and who rely upon this little scheme, will probably be enough of a political force that the trend doesn't go away. Republicans might like to say they don't like electric cars, but that will change when they are truly cheaper. Because this is just about who wins, not who has the best point. Most economics is about survival. If we don't like something, it's usually because it is a threat to us. Threats to perceived ways of doing things are no different.

I think most of this argument is actually about a beef that people have with capitalism, that it isn't really their friend. Capitalism works very well when it is not extortionate. When there is not a monopoly. When something like a sympathetic voice toward those who have to pay high prices can be inferred from the market action. But there was never a sympathetic voice. It's just that during normal times of operation capitalism has these markets which serve to regulate the price that way because of competition. We like to think that competition exists upon a level playing field, but the playing field is the emotional state of mankind at large. The playing field itself is capable of sea change.

It can be difficult to tell if people are really hurt, sometimes, or if they are acting out on historical data about how being hurt and complaining about it can sometimes change the way your particular market works, for those, and other emotional reasons? I bring this up because in order to get a true collective response toward inflation people will all have to behave in a certain way. They are going to have to spend less money in places that still appeal to them. They will have to make value decisions. Maybe that will mean staying home? I don't know, the emotional power of the individual being told they can't do something anymore is powerful. It does have ramifications within markets. It operates upon the same sort of levers that customer loyalty does, the emotional bonds that reach into the economic markets, forming expected behaviors.

What people don't understand, I think, when they emotionally assert themselves, though, is that their absence from the market may be the very thing the situation is calling for. Those that do the threatening are still thinking it is about them, when it is more about everybody. They think they can spend their way out of a problem that is about spending. The only way that is possible is, however, when there are losers who make up the difference. Because the complaints are really about wanting the economy to point its barrel of economic favoritism their way. They just want the old way back, they don't care if that means there will be losers.
Last edited by evilgenius on Mon 30 May 2022, 10:59:22, edited 4 times in total.
When it comes down to it, the people will always shout, "Free Barabbas." They love Barabbas. He's one of them. He has the same dreams. He does what they wish they could do. That other guy is more removed, more inscrutable. He makes them think. "Crucify him."
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 30 May 2022, 12:53:36

vtsnowedin wrote:Can we afford to turn corn into ethanol when the world faces a food shortage from the war in Ukraine? Corn was at $380 when Biden took office and $657 when the war began , it is a $771 now.

As I have pointed out repeatedly, it seems like a score of times any time the subject comes up, Corn is a lousy choice as a fuel crop. You get about 300 gallons of ethanol per acre of corn, but you get much more from an acre of white potato, even more from an acre of sugar beets or sweet potato and you get a lovely 600 gallons from an acre of sugar cane. The only reason the USA focuses so hard on corn ethanol is the corn growers lobby efforts both in Congress and in the occasional advertising of ethanol fuel both of which focus only on corn.

If Biden is serious about going back to pre Trump policies then the subsidy for E-85 should be restored, right now in Ohio the selling price is nearly as high as 87 octane Gasohol or E-10 if you prefer. With the EPA E-15 regs now coming into effect that Gasohol will be shifting to higher ethanol content very soon, it was supposed to kick in around 2017 but was delayed until recent times for political reasons.
A new Iowa law will require more gas stations to carry E15.

PRAIRIE CITY — A new Iowa law will require most gas stations to offer fuel with higher blends of ethanol within the next four years, an effort to boost the state's biofuels industry and increase fuel options for drivers.

Reynolds signed the law, House File 2128, on Tuesday while standing atop a trailer in a farm field near Prairie City, surrounded by Iowa lawmakers, farmers and renewable fuel advocates.

You can find similar legislation becoming law in just about every blue state and the states with large corn crops across the USA.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tuike » Tue 31 May 2022, 10:13:24

I made a post in this thread that gasoline costs 1.80 euros per liter in my area last october. Now gasoline price is 2.50 euros per liter. Huge increase. I wonder are we near a point where trucks run out of fuel and then truck drivers retreat to nearest forest to die and then shelves go empty.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 31 May 2022, 12:34:50

Tuike wrote:I made a post in this thread that gasoline costs 1.80 euros per liter in my area last october. Now gasoline price is 2.50 euros per liter. Huge increase. I wonder are we near a point where trucks run out of fuel and then truck drivers retreat to nearest forest to die and then shelves go empty.

If the drivers do not have the fuel or money enough to make the round trip they will not leave the loading dock to begin with. The shelves will be empty but the truck drivers will not be stranded in the woods just stuck at home wondering how to pay their personal bills.
Shippers and receivers will come to grips with the new cost schedule and cover the cost of the fuel and pass it on to their customers, giving yet another kick to the inflation Hamster wheel.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 01 Jun 2022, 05:14:21

Tuike wrote:I made a post in this thread that gasoline costs 1.80 euros per liter in my area last october. Now gasoline price is 2.50 euros per liter. Huge increase. I wonder are we near a point where trucks run out of fuel and then truck drivers retreat to nearest forest to die and then shelves go empty.

I don't think the truckers just go to the forest. But the price of fuel is not the only thing that can do that. Because trucking is a business. And any sort of unexpected or untoward expense can ruin a business, unless you can pass those costs on.

I once rode a bus with a man whose job was to go around the country collecting big rigs from all of the places where the truckers who were employed to drive them had decided to give up on the business. As soon as their agreements with the trucking companies put them in the red, most of them gave up, the man said. Independent contracting had forced too many costs onto the truckers. It was a bad time for trucking. It lasted a while. The stores, however, did not feel the effect.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 02 Jun 2022, 18:21:46

"OPEC+ to boost oil production"
https://www.rt.com/business/556520-opec ... roduction/

"The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and allies, known as OPEC+, agreed on Thursday to increase oil production to offset Russian output losses and ease soaring prices.

According to a press release published on its website, the group will hike output by 648,000 barrels per day (bpd), or 0.7% of global demand, over the months of July and August.

The initial plan said the group would add 432,000 barrels per day every month until the end of September.

The move will likely be seen as a sign of willingness by Saudi Arabia and other OPEC Gulf nations to pump more after months of pressure from the West to address global energy shortages worsened by sanctions on Russia.

According to industry estimates, the growing economic pressure could reduce production from Russia, the world’s second largest oil exporter, by as much as 2 million to 3 million bpd. The country was already producing below its OPEC+ target of 10.44 million bpd in April, with output running at around 9.3 million bpd."

More at link.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 02 Jun 2022, 19:16:20

If we had a competent administration the negotiations might go like this:
We need you to pump more oil.
We don't want to.
No oil means no weapons .
How much oil do you want.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby mousepad » Fri 03 Jun 2022, 09:12:21

vtsnowedin wrote:If we had a competent administration the negotiations might go like this:
We need you to pump more oil.
We don't want to.
No oil means no weapons .
How much oil do you want.

Expert negotiation never uses threats. Threats is blunt force and bad for long term relationship.

* We're very happy with the current situation and we don't really need more oil. We think this will hasten our move to renewable.
* But we have spare capacity.
* We know you have spare capacity, but as said, it's not really needed.
* We think moving to renewables is the wrong move.
* renewables are the future, but we can understand that you want to pump more to take advantage of the high price. Let me see if we can accommodate you.
* Yes, please check, we can certainly pump more.
* Ok, it's against our interest, but I think we can accomodate you, how much are you thinking? 5MB more?
* Nonono, we were thinking maybe 1 or 2MB more.
* Ahhh, ok, that's acceptable, but we can't pay you full price, as we really do you a favor. You understand, right?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 03 Jun 2022, 09:59:25

$4.46/gal regular unleaded, Sterling Colorado.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Frank » Fri 03 Jun 2022, 11:11:18

vtsnowedin wrote: One good thing is the highest grade gas from Canada has no ethanol in it so it is better for two cycle engines like chain saws and string trimmers.

I'm not so sure any more: I recently queried both Shell and Irving stations nearby (in Nova Scotia) and they both told me that there's now small amounts of ethanol in all their grades. :?
Frank
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 03 Jun 2022, 11:14:40

Frank wrote:

I'm not so sure any more: I recently queried both Shell and Irving stations nearby (in Nova Scotia) and they both told me that there's now small amounts of ethanol in all their grades. :?

The signs on the pumps here are pretty clear on it. But saying it and it being true is two different things.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 03 Jun 2022, 19:40:41

Depends on the time of year and the budget cycle. I used to supervise the paving of from fifty to one hundred miles per year of thin (and I mean thin) overlays of NH roads on the west and Southwest side of the state. The goal was to have them done and stripped before the leaf peeper season around Columbus day.
So a NH road that is rough today compared to it's adjacent VT road will probably look and feel better come fall while most of the VT roads will stay the same.
Those thin layers last only a couple of years but as they return to them on a five to seven year cycle they add up over time. Some roads that were paved with just three inches of pavement back in the fifties now have seven inches of accumulated pavement on them.
In comparison some of the VT roads that were paved with concrete back pre WW2 have been paved again and again and I can show you one south of the VA in WRJ. that has sixteen inches of pavement over the original six inches of concrete and you can still see and feel every joint in that concrete pavement. Ka thump ka thump. mile after mile.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby JuanP » Mon 06 Jun 2022, 05:05:55

US gasoline prices have doubled under Biden!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 06 Jun 2022, 05:29:46

JuanP wrote:US gasoline prices have doubled under Biden!

Yes and that alone is going to cost the Democrats both the house and Senate come November.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 06 Jun 2022, 08:51:12

JuanP wrote:US gasoline prices have doubled under Biden!

They did the same thing under Obama I believe. Fortunately, the circumstances of drill baby drill came along and in addition to making peak oilers look like fools, saved his bacon on this particular metric.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion