Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread 2022-2023

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 25 May 2022, 13:06:49

vtsnowedin wrote:So Biden reveals high gas prices are deliberate policy to drive the transfer to green energy.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ory=foryou
I paid $4.80/ gallon yesterday.

When referencing the MAGA news channel, can you at least provide the point in the video where the claim you are making was made, so we don't need to have our minds turned to mush with all the other indoctrination provided along the way?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 25 May 2022, 16:41:01

Just one more anecdote about college degrees. Time line: 1970. After first year apply for geology degree at Un. of New Orleans. Called into office and asked if I understood almost no jobs out there. Didn't care...just found it interesting. All the profs there had been laid off from oil companies in the 60's and went back to school for Phds so they could teach others that wouldn't get jobs. LOL. But true. Only 60 geology majors in entire department. Jump to 1975 and getting Masters from Texas A&M. Remember boom in oil prices around that time? Oil companies flew me all around for job interviews even though they knew they would offer me a job with big $. Jump to 1981: almost 300 geology majors in dept: and not one got a job offer upon graduating. Remember oil price bust at that time. Me? High and low paying jobs for next 30 years an oil prices swung. And if I could get a job at all. Last 10 years> great job making very big $. Until oil prices collapsed big time. Fortunately retired at that time.

So what is a college degree worth? Pick a subject and a time frame. And hope you pick right, grasshopper.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 25 May 2022, 19:12:50

ROCKMAN wrote:So what is a college degree worth? Pick a subject and a time frame. And hope you pick right, grasshopper.

Alternatively....take industry experience and flee industry (right before a price crash, if you can manage it). Take a gig as geoscientist with no dependency on oil or gas prices. Whine like everyone else when gas prices are high, because you don't get bonuses related to that commodity price anymore. :(
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 25 May 2022, 19:36:22

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:So Biden reveals high gas prices are deliberate policy to drive the transfer to green energy.

When referencing the MAGA news channel, can you at least provide the point in the video where the claim you are making was made, so we don't need to have our minds turned to mush with all the other indoctrination provided along the way?

But I think you watching the whole segment might be good for you.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 25 May 2022, 21:31:14

vtsnowedin wrote:
AdamB wrote:

But I think you watching the whole segment might be good for you.

Well, if by "good for me" you mean "my church is looking for converts and if our programming can knock off a few IQ points every time someone watchs us they are more likely to support out dogma" then..okay...fine...I guess. Can you give me a clue as to the length of this particular indoctrination piece so I need to know how much time I need to find in schedule for it?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 27 May 2022, 19:21:52

$4.85/gallon of regular 87 octane unleaded, Herkimer NY.

Solid $5+ across various places on the western half of Long Island.

Will begin investigating some Vermont prices tomorrow.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 27 May 2022, 20:27:25

ROCKMAN wrote:Just one more anecdote about college degrees. Time line: 1970. After first year apply for geology degree at Un. of New Orleans. Called into office and asked if I understood almost no jobs out there. Didn't care...just found it interesting. All the profs there had been laid off from oil companies in the 60's and went back to school for Phds so they could teach others that wouldn't get jobs. LOL. But true. Only 60 geology majors in entire department. Jump to 1975 and getting Masters from Texas A&M. Remember boom in oil prices around that time? Oil companies flew me all around for job interviews even though they knew they would offer me a job with big $. Jump to 1981: almost 300 geology majors in dept: and not one got a job offer upon graduating. Remember oil price bust at that time. Me? High and low paying jobs for next 30 years an oil prices swung. And if I could get a job at all. Last 10 years> great job making very big $. Until oil prices collapsed big time. Fortunately retired at that time.

So what is a college degree worth? Pick a subject and a time frame. And hope you pick right, grasshopper.

ROCKMAN
Expert

Congratulations on your 14th anniversary as a member of this forum, Rockman!
I have learnt much from you through the years and always look forward to reading your posts. I am very glad that you still hang around here. :-D
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 28 May 2022, 13:05:52

JuanP wrote:
ROCKMAN wrote:Just one more anecdote about college degrees. Time line: 1970. After first year apply for geology degree at Un. of New Orleans. Called into office and asked if I understood almost no jobs out there. Didn't care...just found it interesting. All the profs there had been laid off from oil companies in the 60's and went back to school for Phds so they could teach others that wouldn't get jobs. LOL. But true. Only 60 geology majors in entire department. Jump to 1975 and getting Masters from Texas A&M. Remember boom in oil prices around that time? Oil companies flew me all around for job interviews even though they knew they would offer me a job with big $. Jump to 1981: almost 300 geology majors in dept: and not one got a job offer upon graduating. Remember oil price bust at that time. Me? High and low paying jobs for next 30 years an oil prices swung. And if I could get a job at all. Last 10 years> great job making very big $. Until oil prices collapsed big time. Fortunately retired at that time.

ROCKMAN
Expert

Congratulations on your 14th anniversary as a member of this forum, Rockman!
I have learnt much from you through the years and always look forward to reading your posts. I am very glad that you still hang around here. :-D

Please allow me to add my congratulations to you Rockman on your 14th anniversary as a PEAKOILER.com

Hope things are going great for you this beautiful spring.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 28 May 2022, 14:54:26

So it is Memorial day weekend and one out of every eight Americans (40,000,000) will be driving to a destination and back using $4.60+/-gas. Some will stop and put flowers or a flag on the graves of Family members that died for our freedom. And over the three days there will be a lot of backyard Bar-B-Ques where the meat and other food cost a lot more then it did last year.
I have to think that a lot of average guys after they have run the grill and fed their hoard will sit back by the fire while the kids toast marsh mellows or eat water melon with a cold beer in one hand and perhaps a burger in the other and contemplate about how thin his wallet has become.
I also think most of them will know where to place the blame and plan to get by as best they can until they can vote out the problem.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby JuanP » Sat 28 May 2022, 15:12:58

vtsnowedin wrote:So it is Memorial day weekend and one out of every eight Americans (40,000,000) will be driving to a destination and back using $4.60+/-gas. Some will stop and put flowers or a flag on the graves of Family members that died for our freedom. And over the three days there will be a lot of backyard Bar-B-Ques where the meat and other food cost a lot more then it did last year.
I have to think that a lot of average guys after they have run the grill and fed their hoard will sit back by the fire while the kids toast marsh mellows or eat water melon with a cold beer in one hand and perhaps a burger in the other and contemplate about how thin his wallet has become.
I also think most of them will know where to place the blame and plan to get by as best they can until they can vote out the problem.

While my wife and I are not yet Americans (we just applied for US citizenship), we will be traveling tomorrow to celebrate with American friends and family, eat a backyard BBQ, and drink a cold one. We may also vote in the coming elections, too! We were talking about the cost for our hosts just this morning.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 28 May 2022, 17:11:07

vtsnowedin wrote:I also think most of them will know where to place the blame and plan to get by as best they can until they can vote out the problem.

Sorry, but you can't vote out peak oil, which is obviously the cause for the rapid escalation in prices (across the globe). We always knew that when a civilization that is totally dependent on oil coal and gas saw the availability of it decrease, the price would go up and cause havoc in the relative sectors.

The demand destruction caused by the global overreaction to the magic virus was breathtaking and I think these fuel increases, blamed on the 'magic' war in the Ukraine will have the same effect. I say magic war because when the US invaded Afghanistan and Iraq in the early 2000's, no one batted an eyelid, and it was all uphill for consumption globally. Now Russia pulls the same stunt and it's Woe unto us, it's wrecking the world lol. Ahhh you gotta love the western media.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 28 May 2022, 17:29:17

JuanP wrote:While my wife and I are not yet Americans (we just applied for US citizenship), we will be traveling tomorrow to celebrate with American friends and family, eat a backyard BBQ, and drink a cold one. We may also vote in the coming elections, too! We were talking about the cost for our hosts just this morning.

Remember you have to finish becoming citizens before you can vote here (with a couple of exceptions). Stay on the right side of the law it is not hard.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 28 May 2022, 17:32:58

theluckycountry wrote:Sorry, but you can't vote out peak oil,

Well you can vote out a false peak oil caused by political decisions not geology.
We will get to a real peak oil (or perhaps peak demand) some day but not this decade.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 28 May 2022, 20:52:53

vtsnowedin wrote: Well you can vote out a false peak oil caused by political decisions not geology.
We will get to a real peak oil (or perhaps peak demand) some day but not this decade.

The real peak oil was in 2007~8 as predicted, all the production activity since has just been licking slops up off the bar at closing time. For all practical purposes there is only one peak, the global peak after which industrial civilization in aggregate begins to decline due to limited access to oil. Perhaps you haven't driven across your nation of late? Not surprising since the roads and bridges are falling into dangerous disrepair. You built with oil, now you collapse without sufficient supplies of it.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 28 May 2022, 21:08:49

$4.89/gal for regular unleaded in Burlington Vermont.

Hotel inflation is bothering me more than fuel prices, folks fleeing to the Adirondacks for the holiday weekend have driven hotel prices bonkers, if rooms are even available.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 28 May 2022, 21:17:51

theluckycountry wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote: Well you can vote out a false peak oil caused by political decisions not geology.

The real peak oil was in 2007~8 as predicted.....

What about the predicted one in 1990 and 1995? And 2002? And 2005? And 2006? Gee....seems like someone is being awful choosey about one prediction or another, when the current peak oil is 2018, and was indeed a peak oil. Folks that can't build cars probably can't understand numbers and all either maybe?

theluckycountry wrote: Perhaps you haven't driven across your nation of late? Not surprising since the roads and bridges are falling into dangerous disrepair. You built with oil, now you collapse without sufficient supplies of it.

I've been roaming across 3/4's of the L48 going on my second week now. Roads are in pretty good shape (NY has some crappy ones though, but VT was pretty decent), all the bridges worked including some big ones into and out of NYC, crossing the Mississippi and Missouri, etc etc.

As the world's largest producer of crude oil and natural gas, obviously we have plenty, more than your pipsqueak oil and gas production anyway. I think a single formation in the Appalachian basin makes more natural gas than your country after how many decades now have you been trying to learn how to produce natural gas? Sounds like you need to hire some Merikans to teach you what exceptionalism looks like when it comes to results.

After we build your submarines for you of course, folks living on an island not apparntly knowing much about boats and water and buoyancy and stuff.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread 2013-2022

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 29 May 2022, 00:29:51

My closest Meijer gas station has dropped all the way to $4.269/gallon. That is better than a couple weeks ago which is kind of a surprise as I was expecting another hike for the Memorial Day Weekend traffic. Guess they plan to make up for it in volume?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 29 May 2022, 08:06:04

Tanada wrote:My closest Meijer gas station has dropped all the way to $4.269/gallon. That is better than a couple weeks ago which is kind of a surprise as I was expecting another hike for the Memorial Day Weekend traffic. Guess they plan to make up for it in volume?

Would that be Canadian supplied gas or Oklahoma/Cushing? About a third of Gas in Vermont comes down from Canada as one chain gas station owns shares in a refinery near Montreal.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 29 May 2022, 09:19:30

vtsnowedin wrote:
Tanada wrote:My closest Meijer gas station has dropped all the way to $4.269/gallon. That is better than a couple weeks ago which is kind of a surprise as I was expecting another hike for the Memorial Day Weekend traffic. Guess they plan to make up for it in volume?

Would that be Canadian supplied gas or Oklahoma/Cushing? About a third of Gas in Vermont comes down from Canada as one chain gas station owns shares in a refinery near Montreal.

Is there an easy way to tell? I bought gas in Burlington from a Shell station, probably closer as traveled on roads to the Canadian border than where Tanada lives, assuming Tanada lives about where I think they do.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 29 May 2022, 10:01:39

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

Is there an easy way to tell? I bought gas in Burlington from a Shell station, probably closer as traveled on roads to the Canadian border than where Tanada lives, assuming Tanada lives about where I think they do.

It is no secret that I live slightly southwest of Toledo, OH. Toledo has a pretty good size refinery right on the Maumee river that gets in tankers now and then. They also get in tanker trucks from various small producers around the area. I used to know a fellow who part time drove trucks delivering oil from small producers to the refinery as a side job from his regular work delivering funeral supplies to cemeteries. Back between 2005-2008 he seriously considered switching to doing it full time because some of the regional producers were investing in reworking their tired old fields with water injection systems to stimulate production. Nothing big or fancy, just pumping water from a saline deep layer up and pouring it back down an old oil well in the middle of several other wells. Then the fracking craze took off in eastern Ohio and investment money dried up over night. Not many of those nodding donkey's I see across crop fields as I drive for appointments or errands are even pumping the last few years. Unofficially they are still in place because if they scrap the surface kit the state makes them have the well sealed in proper bureaucratic paperwork inspected fashion.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion