Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread 2022-2023

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread 2013-2022

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 29 Jun 2022, 15:06:02

Newfie wrote:Then in our Canada cabin I have similar issues. Kick a lot of stone just getting to the drive on a good day. 40 miles to a super market or cup o coffee. Of course the trip is over 1,500 miles on way, not unusual for us to do 800 miles in a leg.

Hard to see a EV or hybrid fitting those roles.

Ford will get you that F-150 Lightening. Sometime, when demand dies down a little. But EVs are only now becoming as use-flexible as regular ICE machines of any type. Sure, Elon has been trying hard with his placing superchargers and destination chargers along major interstates from coast to coast, but once east of the Sierras in California, it's the Mississippi before you start bumping into all that many people, above I-10. And what happens if you want to do a side trip or go camping between I-10 and I-40 in New Mexico?

My horrifying utilitarian EV is perfect for what it was bought to do. Which is move up to 5 people hither and thither around suburbia (with free electrons no less!). Beyond that, I still use either the ICE engine in the hybrid to span The Great American Desert, west to east and back, or north to south, or a two wheeler.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 12 Jul 2022, 17:05:15

Now that the 4th of July has passed I am seeing prices near here ranging from $4.559/gal to $4.759/gal how are things in your neighborhood?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 12 Jul 2022, 17:51:30

Filled up the old (new to me) ICE machine yesterday, $4.79/gal regular unleaded. I got $1.00/gal off for grocery store points, so I paid $3.79/gal. It still sucks, putting mondo dinero into a polluting gas guzzler. But it rides great on the beltway at 80mph, and the wife wanted to go to the far side of town to collect something after work, so what the heck, I'm still testing it so random miles are required.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 12 Jul 2022, 18:02:56

Drove to Maryland eastern shore and back over a four day weekend 500 miles each way. Gas on the throughways about $4.75 and a bit cheaper in Maryland. Subaru got 33 MPG for 330 miles with cruse control set for 75MPH. Passed several cops that didn't bat an eye as I was going with the flow with numerous jerks pushing through the pack to go faster. Food in the service areas on the other hand is through the roof with a burger and fries meal costing $12.95 plus $0.80 for a coffee. :x
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 13 Jul 2022, 17:46:20

I paid $4.89 for regular gas in Miami Beach today. I remembered to check to post it here.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 13 Jul 2022, 22:51:13

JuanP wrote:I paid $4.89 for regular gas in Miami Beach today. I remembered to check to post it here.

I paid the same in small town Vermont today.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 13 Jul 2022, 23:48:19

vtsnowedin wrote:
JuanP wrote:I paid $4.89 for regular gas in Miami Beach today. I remembered to check to post it here.

I paid about the same in several small towns in Vermont back in May. Sounds good, prices have stabilized!! [smilie=eusa_dance.gif]

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 14 Jul 2022, 07:31:25

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

I paid about the same in several small towns in Vermont back in May. Sounds good, prices have stabilized!! [smilie=eusa_dance.gif]

Stable high prices are not a good thing. By the winter will bring higher prices as Russia will still not be out of Ukraine and they will have run out of what they dare to pump out of the "political petroleum reserve". Gas could easily go to $8.00/g by Christmas.
As fuel prices are a primary driver of inflation that will stay high,now 10% per year and stupid actions by the Fed will most certainly drive us into a deep recession which has probably already begun.
The only solutions are a complete reversal of Biden anti fossil fuel policies and moving the USN Harry Truman battle group into the Black sea wither Turkey likes it or not and freeing up the Black sea and all Ukrainian air space.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby mousepad » Thu 14 Jul 2022, 08:05:47

vtsnowedin wrote:Stable high prices are not a good thing.

I think stable high prices are the best thing we can ask for. High prices leads to conservation with all its benefits.
And stable means you can plan and adapt to it.

moving the USN Harry Truman battle group into the Black sea wither Turkey likes it or not and freeing up the Black sea and all Ukrainian air space.

I have to disagree again. Let europe's problem be europe's problem. Maybe we should control our own southern invasion first before we go and meddle in invasions half around the globe.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 14 Jul 2022, 09:09:53

mousepad wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Stable high prices are not a good thing.

I think stable high prices are the best thing we can ask for. High prices leads to conservation with all its benefits.
And stable means you can plan and adapt to it.

moving the USN Harry Truman battle group into the Black sea wither Turkey likes it or not and freeing up the Black sea and all Ukrainian air space.

I have to disagree again. Let europe's problem be europe's problem. Maybe we should control our own southern invasion first before we go and meddle in invasions half around the globe.

You missed my point that gas prices will not be stable for long. That is the bigger problem. As to US intervention many agree with you. But Europe's problem is the world's problem and we are in that world and will sooner or later have to deal with the consequences. As we have seen at least twice before trying to be isolationist/ neutral just postpones the inevitable and greatly increases the final cost in both blood and treasure.
I do not like that set of facts but I do recognize them by way of my age, experience and knowledge of history. I expect that younger people will get some hard lessons in the years ahead.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby C8 » Thu 14 Jul 2022, 18:24:42

Something lost in the discussion on gas prices is that this is occurring in a nation where a lot of people are now working from home as opposed to two years ago. Imagine what the price would have been w/o this.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 14 Jul 2022, 21:02:22

C8 wrote:Something lost in the discussion on gas prices is that this is occurring in a nation where a lot of people are now working from home as opposed to two years ago. Imagine what the price would have been w/o this.

And maybe 1,000,000 EVs out there doesn't hurt either!! Of course, us EV'ers don't care all that much about gas prices, now THAT is something to imagine. We just don't care about that particular price...we have...evolved!!

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 14 Jul 2022, 21:27:36

AdamB wrote:
C8 wrote:Something lost in the discussion on gas prices is that this is occurring in a nation where a lot of people are now working from home as opposed to two years ago. Imagine what the price would have been w/o this.

And maybe 1,000,000 EVs out there doesn't hurt either!! Of course, us EV'ers don't care all that much about gas prices, now THAT is something to imagine. We just don't care about that particular price...we have...evolved!!

But new vehicles sales per year have been running about seventeen million each year so 1,000,000 EVS over four or five years makes no real difference.
I do expect that in a few years EVS will make up a significant share of the vehicle market and will reduce the demand for gasoline and diesel fuel but that is not true now and is probably three to five years out.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 14 Jul 2022, 23:08:27

vtsnowedin wrote: I do expect that in a few years EVS will make up a significant share of the vehicle market and will reduce the demand for gasoline and diesel fuel but that is not true now and is probably three to five years out.

A million cars that would otherwise be using liquid fuels is true now, to the tune of 1,000,000 average liquid fuel using cages NOT using liquid fuels. In 3 to 5 years it will just be that much more! And if someone will finally pass a law here in the US taxing crude to like $250+/bbl and providing encouragement for the...dare I say....automotive Neanderthals who don't know their extinction is in the cards?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 15 Jul 2022, 06:04:57

Large-scale Gasoline Demand Destruction Hits Sky-High Prices in Peak Driving Season:

Some demand destruction is behavioral and may bounce back; some is structural, growing, and long term: The decline of an industry.

The spike in gasoline prices motivated Americans to go on buyers’ strike. The phenomenon of a price shock reducing demand for that product is called “demand destruction” in economics. It can reverse when the price falls to such a low level that demand returns. Demand destruction has now turned into a crescendo during peak driving season, including the 4th of July holiday weekend.

https://wolfstreet.com/2022/07/14/large ... 999-level/
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 15 Jul 2022, 06:34:51

There are some 284 million cars and trucks in use in the USA and they even now are burning through 8.8 million barrels of gasoline (A DAY). One million EVs is still insignificant.
Average MPG is now 24.8 MPG (EIA) and that may increase due to demand destruction as two car families chose the most efficient vehicle they have, letting the tank sit unless it is really needed, whenever possible and other tactics like car pooling return to favor.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Doly » Fri 15 Jul 2022, 14:07:01

As we have seen at least twice before trying to be isolationist/ neutral just postpones the inevitable and greatly increases the final cost in both blood and treasure.

In both WWI and WWII, the USA ended up getting involved because of a deliberate British propaganda campaign. This time it's different, not because the Brits wouldn't try it again, but because they don't have to. The current American military-industrial complex demands for their chance to wage war at every opportunity by now. So I agree with you that it's pretty much inevitable that USA enters WWIII, should it come to that, and that it probably will.

This said, I disagree with the idea that a big country should get involved in a major war as soon as possible, if they have a choice in the matter. Small wars are less bad than big wars, every time. The notion that joining sooner will make for a faster victory than joining later implies that the sides are known and won't shift during the war. Both WWI and WWII show how many changes can happen during a major war: the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian Empires disintegrated during the war, Russia and China had major civil wars at the same time as fighting a world war, Germany initially allied with Russia, broke the alliance, and then shifted to attempting peace and an alliance with Britain... and that's only the major, fate-of-war-shifting developments. As I see it, if a country is able to predict the outcome of a war, there are good chances it's also able to prevent it with the right diplomatic moves, especially if we are talking about a big country with a lot of weight in world affairs. So the very fact that there is a major war is a pretty good sign that the leadership of the fighting countries don't know how it's going to develop. Therefore, any claims that joining sooner is better than joining later are likely propaganda or ill-informed.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 15 Jul 2022, 14:49:43

My opinion that we should act now rather then later is my own and not some parroted propoganda.
Putin's ground forces are being chewed up daily but at the same time he is inflicting terror attacks on the Ukrainian civilians that are nothing less then barbaric. The longer we let this go on the more innocent children will be killed or maimed. They now already number in the thousands.
But we dither afraid of Putin's nuclear saber rattling.
If we let him win on that account he will use it again and again until we finally have to call his bluff.
Will it be Warsaw, Paris or London where we finally draw that line?
The USA's present leadership is so incompetent that I expect them to fail at this and let some totally unsatisfactory cease fire to take hold. It will remain for future, hopefully more competent leaders, to finally stop Putin and take back what he has tried to steal.
And of course our dithering will give China the message that we can be rolled easily.
How is your Mandarin Chinese ? You might need it.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 15 Jul 2022, 16:14:40

Doly wrote:In both WWI and WWII, the USA ended up getting involved because of a deliberate British propaganda campaign. This time it's different, not because the Brits wouldn't try it again, but because they don't have to. The current American military-industrial complex demands for their chance to wage war at every opportunity by now. So I agree with you that it's pretty much inevitable that USA enters WWIII, should it come to that, and that it probably will.

This said, I disagree with the idea that a big country should get involved in a major war as soon as possible, if they have a choice in the matter. Small wars are less bad than big wars, every time. The notion that joining sooner will make for a faster victory than joining later implies that the sides are known and won't shift during the war. Both WWI and WWII show how many changes can happen during a major war: the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian Empires disintegrated during the war, Russia and China had major civil wars at the same time as fighting a world war, Germany initially allied with Russia, broke the alliance, and then shifted to attempting peace and an alliance with Britain... and that's only the major, fate-of-war-shifting developments. As I see it, if a country is able to predict the outcome of a war, there are good chances it's also able to prevent it with the right diplomatic moves, especially if we are talking about a big country with a lot of weight in world affairs. So the very fact that there is a major war is a pretty good sign that the leadership of the fighting countries don't know how it's going to develop. Therefore, any claims that joining sooner is better than joining later are likely propaganda or ill-informed.

You make many excellent points in that post. The USA greatly benefitted from entering WW2 late, after the Germans and the USSR and other Europeans and the Chinese and Japanese had been fighting each other for years. I believe they did that on purpose and it was a very smart move. When the time was right, they provoked the Japanese into attacking Pearl Harbor to change Americans' opinions about joining the war and provide the USA with a casus belli. That fact, combined with the fact that the war was fought mostly in Eurasia, left the USA as the only large industrial nation in the world that hadn't suffer any significant damage in the war. This allowed the USA to prosper and dominate much of the world for decades, displacing the British Empire. It was the Americans who played the Brits, and not the other way round.

I believe that the US military and government are very aware of this. This is why Americans are fighting a proxy war against Russia in Ukraine today. The USA would prefer Ukraine to win, but they will fight Russia to the last Ukrainian and let the Europeans destroy their economies by sanctioning Russia. Whether Ukrainians win or lose, Americans believe that both Europe and Russia will be weakened leaving it in a relatively stronger position.

Also, blocking land trade between Europe and Asia and creating a new wall there is part of the goal, too, IMO. The USA would obviously benefit from disrupting rail traffic from China to Europe through Russia. Since 100% of that trade now runs through Poland and Belarus, I would be very concerned if I were Polish or Belarussian or lived in those countries. If the USA doesn't manage to end this trade through sanctions, then provoking a war in Poland or Belarus would be the next logical step for the Americans. The US government would probably be willing to fight that proxy war to the last continental European, IMO.

May we live in interesting times! This conversation probably belongs in a different thread. We make Tanada's job very hard!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 15 Jul 2022, 17:56:58

vtsnowedin wrote:There are some 284 million cars and trucks in use in the USA and they even now are burning through 8.8 million barrels of gasoline (A DAY). One million EVs is still insignificant.

Insignificant is a relative term. 0 might be insignificant, but the instant a factory began mass producing peak oil solutions on wheels...well....there may not have been many, but just their existence was significant. And now those of us who aren't bothered much by whatever the Neanderthals are burning in their tanks think they are very significant.

Were you around here when Happy McPeaksters were lauding Who Killed The Electric Car as why they would never work? Or cure peak oil? And then of course peak oil happened a half dozen times, and the same folks who killed the electric car handed us the Volt and suddenly those who decided to evolve weren't worried much about liquid fuel availability. And we got to make fun of Happy McPeaksters as well. :)

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion