Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gas Hoarding / Storage Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

How much gas have you hoarded/stored?

Unread postby Gigawatta » Wed 14 Sep 2005, 18:51:21

yesterday I bought 2 jerrycans (about 5 gal each) and filled them with gasoline. Just a little supply in case of queues at the pump. I don't have much room in my small backyard, there's only space for another couple of jerrycans or for a small drum. How many gallons have you guys stored? where do you keep the stuff?
(I'm a peak oil doomer but I also bought a new chainsaw. I can't really help myself...)
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sun 08 Mar 2009, 18:47:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Gas Hoarding / Storage Thread.
Gigawatta
Wood
Wood

Re: How much gas have you hoarded/stored?

Unread postby strider3700 » Wed 14 Sep 2005, 19:29:25

10 gallons of regular that I'm cycling to keep fresh - this is because my GF works about 140 km from my house and lives there during the week. I will always have enough fuel stored to go and get her and come home.

5 gallons of mixed for the chainsaw - slowly burning through it, not too worried at the moment.

<5 gallons of regular for the lawn mower. - old and crappy but it still burns in the mower.

Any more then that would be difficult for me to keep fresh enough and store safely.
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Wed 14 Sep 2005, 19:32:23

25 gallons of gas, 5 gallons of diesel.

Thats what I need to get back to the farm. Thats what I keep onhand, in case I need to get back to the farm and I cant stop for fuel between here n there.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby linlithgowoil » Wed 14 Sep 2005, 19:55:21

none at all. dont see the point really.
linlithgowoil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ararboin » Wed 14 Sep 2005, 20:29:31

I filled my 300 gal. tank earlier this year.
ararboin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Wed 14 Sep 2005, 20:32:27

500 gallon tank full of ag diesel.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EddieB » Wed 14 Sep 2005, 20:48:55

If you have a diesel engine and are prepared to break the law all you need to do is pump your heating oil into your car or truck. I'm not advocating you do this since the fines for doing so are enormous, but in an emergency it's worth knowing. Also, they put a red dye in the heating oil that stains your tank for a while so subsequent tests (even w/out the heating oil in your tank) will show you "cheated" on your taxes... I have a diesel VW and an oil fired furnace... need to top off the two 500 gallon tanks. Yikes, that'll cost a pretty penny.
EddieB
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 14 Sep 2005, 21:24:39

Remember, gasoline is designed for cradle to grave of about 6 weeks. You can store it about a year, and about 18 months if you add stabilizers.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MaterialExcess » Wed 14 Sep 2005, 23:14:39

Instead of hoarding gas I just got a bike. It will last much longer and gets almost unlimited mileage.
MaterialExcess
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Dukat_Reloaded » Wed 14 Sep 2005, 23:34:46

I don't think they sell heating oil in australia, if they did, I would use it in a car and anyway, you can just say you like to mix colour into your fuel as well.
Dukat_Reloaded
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bruss01 » Thu 15 Sep 2005, 00:16:30

50 gallons in 5 gallon gas cans with stabilizer. It's stored away from the house about 60 feet, in a shaded area, up on a platform 6" off the ground, covered with a tarp. I'm working on gradually building that up to 100 gallons. Once I get it built up, by using and replacing 1 container per month, I can keep the stash fresh.

Also I'd like to get (4) 20 gallon propane jugs for cooking and heating purposes. We have camping stoves and a space heater (indoor safe) that use propane.

Also, MaterialExcess, I like your idea and I have plans to get a bicycle before winter. It would be senseless to use the stored gas for daily commuting or local errands, as is our current habit. I'm saving that gas for emergency get out of dodge fuel.
bruss01
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Revi » Thu 15 Sep 2005, 08:14:17

When gas started to go up 50 cents a day I'll admit I got scared and filled 3 gallons of gas containers up. I really don't think we'll need them right now, but I'll put stabilizer in and you never know...

I'm getting an electric assist bicycle for getting around even if there's no gas. If there's no electricity, then I'm walking.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MacG » Thu 15 Sep 2005, 08:55:38

Just keeping the car filled up. Use to fill when reaching 3/4. Not a big lifesaving thing, but a little convenience just in case...
MacG
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Thu 15 Sep 2005, 12:13:05

EddieB wrote:If you have a diesel engine and are prepared to break the law all you need to do is pump your heating oil into your car or truck. I'm not advocating you do this since the fines for doing so are enormous, but in an emergency it's worth knowing. Also, they put a red dye in the heating oil that stains your tank for a while so subsequent tests (even w/out the heating oil in your tank) will show you "cheated" on your taxes... I have a diesel VW and an oil fired furnace... need to top off the two 500 gallon tanks. Yikes, that'll cost a pretty penny.

I believe the fine is on the order of around $25,000. Also, I've heard (Although dont know) it takes about 7 tanks to get the red dye worked out.

Thats a pretty hefty fine, enough that I wouldnt risk it unless I had no other course of actions.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cool Hand Linc » Thu 15 Sep 2005, 12:39:05

Currently 30 gallons in 5 gallon cans.

Using stabilizer on all of it.

Marked the fill date on the outside with permanent marker.

Stored under a tarp in the shade.

As the prices were shooting up. I went to Wal-mart and bought my first 2 cans and some stabilizer. Went back about 4 days later and Walmart, Lowe's and Home depot were all sold out of 5 gallon cans. about 4 2 1/2 gallon containers were available and 10 or 12 1 gallon available. I noticed a whole shelf of 5 gallon kerosene cans. I bought 4 of them. I strongly suspect somebody is hoarding other than just me.

I too am keeping the tank above 1/2 at all times. I got gas for my chain saw mixed and bar oil.

I also have a new 1 gallon can I will fill if I see another trigger event happening. I am thinking of filling it and rotating it out with each tank but I have a car and don't want the smell. The trunk smell seems to migrate into the car. So I am currently just keeping it in the trunk. If I see an issue arising. I will begin to keep it full at all times. The car gets 26 to 30 per gal. So One gallon to top off an empty tank will get me home.

I have also told of my bike. I am awaiting a new break cable and seat. Last night I ordered a little lockable trunk that is also removable to put on the back. I plan to ride it more and more. I'm looking for collapsible saddle bags that have a large capacity. I can break them down and lock them up. Get them out when needed.

Kind of off topic some. Sorry..

NO, I am hording......No I am storing gas for a future need. I am not hording. I'm just storing a little.
Peace out!

Cool Hand Linc 8)
Cool Hand Linc
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bruss01 » Thu 15 Sep 2005, 12:54:55

Linc,

For people who want to carry a small amount of spare fuel (for emergencies) let me tell you what I have found to work.

I have a modest sized SUV which gets reasonable fuel mileage (double digits). There's no exterior storage compartment. My wife drives a mini-van, same situation. It's very seldom we have pushed it far enough to run out of gas, but sometimes fuel gauges are not as accurate as we would like, and one also encounters occasionally the unfortunate motorist who has gambled with their fuel gauge and lost.

For these and other emergencies that might arise, we each carry one gallon of stablilized fuel in a plastic fuel container. We also experienced issues with fuel odor in the interior of the vehicle. This was solved by putting the fuel container inside a clear plastic garbage bag which is then tied shut. The fuel container is then stored inside a RubberMaid storage container (an ActionPacker to be specific) which is also used to store our other roadside emergency gear (jumper cables, fix-a-flat, etc). Although not air-tight, the trash bag and the ActionPacker really limit air circulation and we do not smell fuel vapors inside the vehicle.

We have been doing this for the past 5 years and have experienced no problems with it.
bruss01
Peat
Peat

Unread postby frankthetank » Thu 15 Sep 2005, 14:21:50

And the biopsy came back negative??? J/k ;-) ... Keeping your tank near full could help alleviate problems of lack of supply @ some point.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Klatuu » Thu 15 Sep 2005, 18:21:49

Only two 5 gal. containers - with stabilizer - stored so far. I intend to purchase a few more 5 gal. containers and fill them in the near future and then to periodically rotate through the stock and refill so as to prevent fuel spoilage.

I do not consider this to be hoarding, just plain common sense since most everyone who frequents these boards believes in PO and is trying in some way to be prepared for what we consider to be uncertain times of energy availability. It may be deemed an exercise in futility, but it is a better short-term solution than to do what most non-PO folks are doing - which is nothing.

Oh, yeah, I also have a worn out older pick-up truck that I rarely drive (it is just about past its useful life and has no resale value) and I keep its tank full just so I have the additional stored gasoline (15 gal).

I witnessed first-hand the 1973 oil/fuel shortages in the US and it was a nightmare where I lived; limited amount of auto fuel for personal use and only available every other day, you weren't allowed to fill up spare fuel containers, gas stations running out of gas, etc., etc.

I swore I would never be caught again with absolutely no spare fuel around after that experience.

Any reasonable storage of what is, in our present world, a basic necessity is a key to survival – be it short term or long.

When ALL the fuel is gone, then we'll be storing/hoarding whatever other basic necessities that are still in existence. Nuts and berries?
Klatuu
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Pops » Thu 15 Sep 2005, 18:34:00

We don’t have a whole lot – maybe 20-30 gallons of gas and 10-20 of diesel in various tanks and cans.

It’s like playing the market – buy a bunch today and the price drops 50 cents tomorrow.

The better strategy in my mind is to become less dependant – make it sort of like coffee, yea, you’ll have a headache and be constipated for a while without some; but you’ll live.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pablo2079 » Fri 16 Sep 2005, 18:14:00

I bought a siphon and I keep my truck tank full (even though I rarely drive it).

I figure a good siphon could come in handy. 8)
Pablo2079
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation & Efficiency