Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Fuel Cell Thread (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: Fuel cells & carbon capture combine for clean coal breakthru

Unread postby Timo » Tue 05 Jan 2010, 11:54:17

I read the article and found it somewhat promising. My experiences with reality, though, tell me that if this is really as good as it sounds, it'll be avoided like the plague. Whatever the source of energy is, wood, coal, oil or gas, unless it is burned, it's useless. Humanity has come such a long way in our evolution. Now is not the time to stop burning crap to help ourselves reach the next millenium. Burn, Baby! Burn! It's all we know.
Timo

Re: Fuel cells & carbon capture combine for clean coal breakthru

Unread postby ian807 » Tue 05 Jan 2010, 11:58:24

Physics is physics. Hydrogen is only a carrier of energy. Not a source. It will take energy to convert coal to hydrogen, reducing efficiency. Hydrogen, if used with fuel cells, still depends on platinum as a catalyst, an expensive and increasingly rare metal.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Fuel Cell Company Unveils Home Hydrogen Station

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 08 Jan 2010, 23:48:38

Fuel Cell Company Unveils Home Hydrogen Station

“A hydrogen station in every home” is a futuristic vision that is about to become a reality this week as Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies unveils what could be its biggest breakthrough to date: a small home hydrogen refueling and storage solution that could begin our transition to a hydrogen-based economy.

In addition to making many new fuel cell products possible, the refueling device enables a lower cost, scalable, and consumer-centric hydrogen supply model which eliminates the dependence on large-scale fueling infrastructure investments. Horizon’s game-changer innovation can unlock the age-old dilemma over which comes first: clean cars, or clean fuels.

eponline
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Fuel Cell Company Unveils Home Hydrogen Station

Unread postby Timo » Tue 12 Jan 2010, 13:21:41

Not having seen anything else about this, my first reaction is that while technically possible, the volume of hydrogen produced and stored is miniscule relative to what would be considered viable for use. But hey! Satellite telephones all started with the telegraph. IPods all started as whatever predated vinyl LPs. Electric lightbulbs in every room were predated with candles and gas. Everything has to start somewhere to go anywhere. From here on out, all roads lead to fossil free energy, one step at a time.
Timo

Re: Fuel Cell Company Unveils Home Hydrogen Station

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Wed 13 Jan 2010, 12:40:01

Is there some different kind of hydrogen, of which I am not aware? Because I remember building a hydrogen generator in my 6th grade science class...30 years ago. And it wasn't a particularly amazing discovery back then, either.

Making hydrogen has never been the problem. Storing it has.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology