Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Food Chain Thread (merged)

Unread postby nigel » Wed 23 Jun 2004, 18:03:41

:lol: :D

It's good to laugh at some of the contributors who take themselves too seriously BUT I quote from the London Financial Times today 23/6/4

"Opec output set to hit highest levels since second 'oil shock'........
blah blah blah then I quote verbatim... 'Saudi Arabia's maximum production capacity is about 10.5m b/d, so the gap between that and the current output represents the bulk of the world's spare oil production capacity : the rest of Opec, and non-Opec countries, are pumping at capacity. Opec ministers are becoming increasing (sic) concerned about the lack of spare capacity."

Not the disaster many Peak Oilers look forward to but to quote from the FT again: "The market is going to remain very tight for the remainder of the year, and prices are unlikely to drift back towards $30" said Mr Lee.
nigel

Unread postby Guest » Wed 23 Jun 2004, 18:15:06

Unread postby The_Virginian » Wed 23 Jun 2004, 18:25:20

Troll. :arrow: Moderators Attention :!: Doubble Post :evil:
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ai4te4daLZs&feature=related[/url] "My soul longs for the candle and the spices. If only you would pour me a cup of wine for Havdalah...My heart yearning, I shall lift up my eyes to g-d, who provides for my needs day and night."
The_Virginian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JayK » Wed 23 Jun 2004, 18:26:07

Matt Savinar goes for bold not CAPITALS - otherwise it captures his tone perfectly.

I think Popsicals oldie tone is there too - Pops?

Are we really that SAD?

Don't answer that!
JayK

Unread postby Guest » Wed 23 Jun 2004, 18:28:10

Virginian - what, no sense of humour?

Unread postby Pops » Wed 23 Jun 2004, 18:48:16

As far as I can tell, Nigel, JayK and the several guests here are all posting from the same IP address - you guys having a party over there or just tired of decent conversation Nigel?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

THE Food Chain Thread (merged)

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 31 Mar 2009, 07:58:03

NYT/Special Series "Food Chain" Food Oil Fertilizer Water
The effects on food costs, of Oil, Fertilizer, water, climate change. All pointing to starvation and unsustainable levels of food production for the increasing masses. http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/series/the_food_chain/index.html
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: NYT/Special Series "Food Chain" Food Oil Fertilizer Water

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 31 Mar 2009, 09:52:52

Wow. Maybe people should lay off on the "MSM is lulling us to sleep" mantra now and then after seeing stuff like this.
mos6507

Re: NYT/Special Series "Food Chain" Food Oil Fertilizer Water

Unread postby deMolay » Tue 31 Mar 2009, 13:34:37

What I like about it, is that it is a global perspective.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Death of the food chain - Soylent Green warnings come true

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 26 May 2009, 18:00:46

Today comes the startling news of a British government report showing a drop in oceanic zooplankton of 73 percent since 1960.

We were profoundly shocked to read that zooplankton abundance has declined by about 73% since 1960 and about 50% since 1990. “This is a biodiversity disaster of enormous proportions.” A graph shown in the report charts a steady decline in zooplankton from 1990 to 2006.

For many people, this may seem relatively inconsequential as compared to daily cataclysmic revelations about the state of the national and global economy. This reaction is understandable: we care first and foremost about our own immediate survival prospects, and a new and greater Depression will mean millions losing their homes, millions more their jobs. It's nothing to look forward to.

It takes some scientific literacy to appreciate the implications of the catastrophic loss of microscopic sea animals. We need to understand that these are food for crustaceans and fish, which are food for sea birds and mammals. We need to appreciate the importance of the oceanic food web in the planetary biosphere.

link

The movie Soylent Green forsaw this, the death of the base of the food chain leading to the necessity for the drastic measure of "Soylent Green". The die-off of the plankton was the "big secret" Saul discovered that led to the "horrible secret" of Soylent Green.

Numbers of zooplankton, tiny organisms that form the base of the ocean's food chain, have plummeted 70 percent since the 1960s, according to numbers collected by the British Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

The data were included without further comment in a graph on page nine of DEFRA's 2008-2009 Marine Program Plan. The nonprofit organization Buglife noticed this graph, however, and began sounding the alarm.

link
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Tue 26 May 2009, 18:05:42, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Death of the food chain - Soylent Green warnings come true

Unread postby Jack » Tue 26 May 2009, 20:30:42

Interesting article. Add in the low grain stocks and the problems with both water and fertilizer...along with capital formation...and land agriculture seems likely to produce weak returns. Which will cause humankind to turn to the sea. Predictably, the sea will be devastated, and the oceans will die.

Looks like the dieoff approaches.

8)
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Tue 26 May 2009, 20:47:47

What we've done to the oceans is truly embarrassing to me as a member of the human specie.
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 26 May 2009, 21:42:01

Shannymara wrote:
Jack wrote:Looks like the dieoff approaches.

Let's get it the hell over with.

I take it this what the acceptance stage of grief looks like? Not something I'm looking forward to.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 26 May 2009, 21:49:37

Shannymara wrote:It's not so bad. I'm enjoying most days very much, actually. :)

Monte being around has a way of throwing a pall over everything.
mos6507

Unread postby Lore » Tue 26 May 2009, 21:57:36

How much of the world really contemplates how close we are to the edge?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby timmac » Tue 26 May 2009, 22:00:40

Shannymara wrote:Cid, . It is truly amazing the scale of the destruction, and that business as usual is still going on meanwhile here on land. .

Most people don't change till it hits them in the face..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Jack » Tue 26 May 2009, 22:04:58

Shannymara wrote:Let's get it the hell over with.

I doubt the other species will be that lucky.

I suspect the planet will be a burned out cinder by the time 6 billion humans have died.

Whether anything better than a cockroach will survive humankind's death throes remains an interesting question.

The final scene...the last human, dirty, diseased and emaciated, eating the last roach.

I can almost feel sorry for the roach. Almost.

:lol:
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Tue 26 May 2009, 22:58:22

timmac wrote:
Shannymara wrote:Cid, . It is truly amazing the scale of the destruction, and that business as usual is still going on meanwhile here on land. .

Most people don't change till it hits them in the face..

I must object.

Most people don't change until they hit absolute rock bottom, which is reached only after they have been repeatedly bludgeoned in the face.
June 5, 09. Taking a powder for at least a while - big change of life coming up.
-
We're saved! YesPlease promises that we'll be running cars on battery cubes about the size of a toaster.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Tue 26 May 2009, 23:02:33

This is the saddest thing I've read all day. :(
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ForlornHope » Wed 27 May 2009, 06:26:32

Can anyone point me to a source which indicates what the cause is specifically that has produced this dieoff? Yes, I know its man and his excesses, but I'm more curious about the postulated immediate cause. Acidification, chemical pollution, oxygen depletion, genetic imbalance, all of the above and more? I've googled this report and have come up with scant info.
Any and all input appreciated.
Forlorn Hope
Be kind to friend and kin, and reward not their trespasses against you; bear and forbear, and win for yourself thereby long enduring praise of men.
It is their lot who stand with the great that they enjoy high honors, and are more respected than others, but stand often in danger of their lives.
ForlornHope
Peat
Peat

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate