Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Finland Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Disaster was narrowly avoided at Porvoo refinery

Unread postby Tuike » Sat 23 Feb 2008, 14:39:21

News at MTV3.fi website (in Finnish)

The news link above says the oil refinery at Porvoo, Finland was at prink of an explosion as a pump being repaired leaked a hundred liters of inflammable gas. Luckily it didn't blow and the leak was stopped.

We (finns) have been lucky so far with our refineries. Let's see when our luck runs out.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: We just powered down television transmissions

Unread postby Tuike » Sat 01 Mar 2008, 07:18:36

Tuike wrote:In cable homes, analog transmissions will be shut down also after six months, by end of february 2008.

And now cable companies have shut down analog transmissions. There was some rush in stores for digital reciever in the final weeks.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 02 Mar 2008, 05:10:12

In the US, the analog TV spectrum is not going to go dark. It's going to be resold for other purposes.
mos6507

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Sun 02 Mar 2008, 12:38:55

To my rather archaic and old fashioned mind TV is actually an evil that invades and corrupts our lives and makes us less human.

It's not the programming, though most of that is too inane to tolerate, it is the commercials, the human-programming if you will, that tell us how we should be and what we just must have in our lives or we are incomplete. Also, most of the news programs suck donkey dick.

We eliminated TV when we moved to the country to begin the transition to our post petroleum lives. We don't miss it. If there is a show worth watching we rent from NetFlix.

This has been a pre-paid testimonial from NetFlix.com
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lumpy » Sun 02 Mar 2008, 12:52:21

DomusAlbion wrote:To my rather archaic and old fashioned mind TV is actually an evil that invades and corrupts our lives and makes us less human.

It's not the programming, though most of that is too inane to tolerate, it is the commercials, the human-programming if you will, that tell us how we should be and what we just must have in our lives or we are incomplete. Also, most of the news programs suck donkey dick.

We eliminated TV when we moved to the country to begin the transition to our post petroleum lives. We don't miss it. If there is a show worth watching we rent from NetFlix.

This has been a pre-paid testimonial from NetFlix.com

Well, I agree with you ... although I am not sure that I would have mention the, uh, donkey 'appendage'.

It's funny though, just yesterday I was up the road talking to a neighbor. I saw he had a Netflix sealed up, and since I was going down past the mailboxes, I asked if he would like me to drop it off for him. That started up the discussion of Netflix versus television.

He and I agreed that, although we both used to have many cable television channels when we lived in town (he and his wife moved out here about 8 years ago ... we moved out about 3 years ago), we think deciding against TV was one of the best decisions we ever made.

He and I both have to attend professional seminars on occasion, and we said at practically the same time that when we go and stay in motels, we TRY to flip on the TV ... just to see ... and just turn it off again. Talk about being ASSAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't miss television at all. Period. And, unlike you, I don't consider my mind to be the least bit archaic! ;-)

Lumpy
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson
Lumpy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ayoob » Sun 02 Mar 2008, 17:42:55

Netflix here too. We pay $15 a month and probably get 12-20 movies a month. It works for me. If something's really good I make a copy and watch it again.

Lots of good documentaries on Netflix. Mostly I don't like television anyway, so I'm happy to let it go.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Re: Keuruu, Finland

Unread postby Nicholai » Wed 19 Mar 2008, 23:37:33

Soon I will be coming to Finland. I will be buying a buck skin coat from a native fellow up north (in Canada) before I come, so I might stand out a little bit. I hope Finns enjoy the company of Canadians.
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby gampy » Thu 20 Mar 2008, 05:43:21

Nicholai wrote:Soon I will be coming to Finland. I will be buying a buck skin coat from a native fellow up north (in Canada) before I come, so I might stand out a little bit. I hope Finns enjoy the company of Canadians.

Funny I was wondering the same thing. Canadians usually put a Canadian patch on their back packs when travelling Europe. (Americans do as well, to avoid sneers, and jeers)

Do Euros, or Scandinavians still think Canadians are better than Americans?

I wonder.
gampy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Nicholai » Thu 20 Mar 2008, 11:26:03

This person was born in Canada and lives in Toronto.

This person was born in Texas, and continues to live there.

My point, there is no such thing as a "Canadian" or an "American" anymore. It's just random people with jobs.
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby overlever » Thu 20 Mar 2008, 11:58:25

gampy wrote:Do Euros, or Scandinavians still think Canadians are better than Americans?

I wonder.
No, we think we are better than both. ;)

For me and those around me: both countries have nice people. We just scoff at loud, obnoxious people. They come from both countries. But, admittedly, more often from the US. Most of northern and western europe has a very modest, calvinistic world view. Brash, loud, boisterous, self-aggrandising people stand out. We have some of those people here too, and our own 'flaunters' are also ridiculed.
Nature shows that with the growth of intelligence comes increased capacity for pain, and it is only with the highest degree of intelligence that suffering reaches its supreme point.

Schopenhauer
overlever
Wood
Wood

Unread postby MrBean » Fri 21 Mar 2008, 07:21:35

Nicholai wrote: I hope Finns enjoy the company of Canadians.

Wellcome to Finland. Just beware that the word Canada signifies here a national trauma, related to the national trauma of ice-hockey. :)

On a more serious note, Schengen treaty restrics the stay of non-European citicens to three months in the Schengen countries, including Finland, so if you plan to stay longer, better prepare for serious bureaucratic hazzle.
MrBean
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 21 Mar 2008, 13:01:13

MrBean wrote:

Wellcome to Finland. Just beware that the word Canada signifies here a national trauma, related to the national trauma of ice-hockey. :)

On a more serious note, Schengen treaty restrics the stay of non-European citicens to three months in the Schengen countries, including Finland, so if you plan to stay longer, better prepare for serious bureaucratic hazzle.

The three-month limit automatically restarts each time you travel to a non-Schengen country, get your passport stamped, and then return, so this isn't a big problem.

There are a lot of Non Schengen countries near Finnland including Great Britain, Switzerland, Estonia, Latvia, Russia, etc.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 21 Mar 2008, 13:03:07

Plantagenet wrote:
MrBean wrote:

The three-month limit automatically restarts each time you travel to a non-Schengen country, get your passport stamped, and then return, so this isn't a big problem.

There are a lot of Non Schengen countries near Finnland including Great Britain, Switzerland, Estonia, Latvia, Russia, etc.

It is if you don't have the funds to be a jet-setter.
vision-master

Unread postby Homesteader » Fri 21 Mar 2008, 13:11:16

vision-master wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:
MrBean wrote:

It is if you don't have the funds to be a jet-setter.

Just as a guess, the ferry system might be more economical.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ses » Sat 22 Mar 2008, 13:22:50

Hi

Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia are now within Schengen system.

Visiting Russia is a bit more bother, you still need a visa to get there.

So nearest non-Schengen countries that you can go to are Great Britain and Switzerland. At least by looking at Wikipedia map...

Best
Seppo
ses
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Nicholai » Sun 23 Mar 2008, 15:12:23

What if I get a work visa for living at the ecovillage? What if I get married to someone at the ecovillage for a small period of time in order to get citizenship?
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 24 Mar 2008, 01:28:54

ses wrote:Hi

Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia are now within Schengen system.

Visiting Russia is a bit more bother, you still need a visa to get there.

So nearest non-Schengen countries that you can go to are Great Britain and Switzerland.

I've got a friend from Switzerland visiting me right now, and he told me today that Switzerland is also now part of the Schengen system.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Fredrik » Mon 24 Mar 2008, 14:58:58

You could check out the following links, if you haven't already:

http://virtual.finland.fi/
(Don't take the "labor shortage" claim on the main page as gospel, though)

http://www.finland.fi/

http://www.finnguide.fi/forum/

http://www.finlandforum.org/

As for marrying one of our females, for whatever reason, be warned...

(Choice quote from an experienced (?) foreigner in the link:
"I think one out of every twenty finnish women are okay and trustworthy." :lol: )
"Only scarcity and effort make life worth living."
"A fundamental, devastating error is to set up a political system based on [individual] desires." -Pentti Linkola
Fredrik
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 24 Mar 2008, 17:05:54

--from the link above:

"Finnish romance does not last. Women in Finland seem very predictable, easy to fall in love, passionate from the beginning, want to get married, then suddenly without any warning signs, fall out of love and want a divorce."

If Finns don't want their wives to divorce them, then they must continue to have sex with their wives even after they get married. Don't waste any more evenings posting at silly web-sites. Get back to your wives and get back to it...NOW!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Fredrik » Mon 24 Mar 2008, 18:25:30

Sorry, she's asleep already. :razz:
Last edited by Fredrik on Mon 24 Mar 2008, 19:02:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Only scarcity and effort make life worth living."
"A fundamental, devastating error is to set up a political system based on [individual] desires." -Pentti Linkola
Fredrik
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion