Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Earth in 2100 Thread (merged)

Re: ABC NEWS: Is this the end of the world?

Unread postby zoidberg » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 23:18:03

Mesuge wrote:As shown in the "Life After People - The History Channel" - once the psycho-monkey is out of the picture the earth reverts itself pretty fast into glorious garden again.

Humans are the most glorious and wonderful species to have ever evolved on Earth. Regardless of what you think of our(and your) efforts the sheer scale of our impact, technology, and buildings alone qualifies us for greatness on this planet. I guess art and whatnot goes into there too, but the planet isnt radically altered by that.

I'm just not happy with your characterization of us as psycho-monkeys. Like lions are wonderful philosophers. The only thing that keeps lions from wiping out every prey species and killing themselves is the limits of their imagination and abilities. Think about it. If we learn to limit ourselves consciously then we'll be able to set sustainable and malleable limits as we continue to advance.

People forever!
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

ABC's Earth 2100 Airing June 2, 2009

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Thu 28 May 2009, 18:43:00

Climate change really getting mainstream...

Link
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Re: ABC's Earth 2100 Airing June 2, 2009

Unread postby Lore » Thu 28 May 2009, 22:27:06

There is at least a mini-series worth of doom and gloom here on PeakOil that could be contributed... "I'm ready for my close up Mr. Demille!"

We need you to bring this story to life — to use your imagination to create short videos about what it would be like to live through the next century if we stay on our current path. Using predictions from top experts, we will feed you detailed briefings from the years 2015, 2050 and 2100 — and you will report back about the dangers that are unfolding before your eyes.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 29 May 2009, 10:37:57

GW is as mainstream as it's every going to get. Inconvenient Truth, 11th Hour, Live Earth... The whole awareness thing peaked a year or two ago. We're really beyond the point where we need to raise more awareness. Those who haven't been reached are in active denial or they just don't give a sh*t.
mos6507

Unread postby Narz » Fri 29 May 2009, 11:53:25

WIll it be available online?

Also, global warming is a conspiracy fabricated by the hippie industrial complex. :o 8) :lol:
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rattleshirt » Fri 29 May 2009, 11:57:41

mos6507 wrote:. Those who haven't been reached are in active denial or they just don't give a sh*t.

That would be my uncle(s) and most of the people in his church. It drives me batshit crazy because they aren't stupid. They have bought into a religious/political worldview that ignores most science. Willful ignorance drives into an alternating cycle of fury and despair. Then I go back to trying to get them to do the right thing, even if it is for weird reasons.
Remember every mighty oak tree started with some nut who stood their ground.
rattleshirt
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Fri 29 May 2009, 13:07:08

rattleshirt wrote:
mos6507 wrote:. Those who haven't been reached are in active denial or they just don't give a sh*t.

That would be my uncle(s) and most of the people in his church. It drives me batshit crazy because they aren't stupid. They have bought into a religious/political worldview that ignores most science. Willful ignorance drives into an alternating cycle of fury and despair. Then I go back to trying to get them to do the right thing, even if it is for weird reasons.

Yes, my family with the exception of my sister and a nephew are all "religious" and really don't believe an end is coming...just Jesus' 2nd coming to take them all to heaven. Boy are they in for a surprise.
I'd rather be the killer than the victim.
The Money Badger don't care. Sucks to be poor!
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Lore » Fri 29 May 2009, 15:54:01

vaseline2008 wrote:
rattleshirt wrote:

Yes, my family with the exception of my sister and a nephew are all "religious" and really don't believe an end is coming...just Jesus' 2nd coming to take them all to heaven. Boy are they in for a surprise.

Reminds me of the 1953 version of the "War of the Worlds" movie. The scene where the reverend walks out to greet the alien space craft with his cross before him, only to be vaporized.

Most of the universe is rather agnostic I'm afraid or in the case of nature, could give a crap less.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AgentR » Fri 29 May 2009, 19:12:01

rattleshirt wrote:They have bought into a religious/political worldview that ignores most science..

Chiming in on behalf of those being attacked here without representation... You can hardly claim to be shocked that they would react in this way, since a lot of simple anti-religious ideology missappropriates science for its own ends, even though science itself tells us nothing with regard to important tenants of faith.

How is a non science/engineer type going to be able to authoritatively seperate those which are anti-religious ideologues vs honest scientists with real information and no interest in interfering or meddling in their faith practices?

To Joe Schmozowski, the person technobabbling against religious speach sounds pretty much like the scientist with several peer reviewed articles placed in recent publications.

And people in places like these, bad mouthing religious people, does little to change that attitude.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

'Earth 2100': the Final Century of Civilization?

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sun 31 May 2009, 11:08:24

There's a post on the site's front page. I couldn't find the thread. Would a Mod please merge?

Link

Whereas some of it might happen, my "bold prediction" is that 90% won't.
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: 'Earth 2100': the Final Century of Civilization?

Unread postby Roy » Sun 31 May 2009, 11:24:18

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Check out the comments. These are the first 5. At: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Earth2100/comments?type=story&id=7697237

people have been saying this since, well, since we have been able to speak. We will never see the end of our civilization, ever!
Posted by:
hyperkell May-29
Mark As Violation

Admin Link: 2
kewl sounds like fun
Posted by:
Guineverre May-29
Mark As Violation

Admin Link: 3
Yellow journalism at its finest!
Posted by:
fitzhugh66 May-29
Mark As Violation

Admin Link: 4
Left wing scare tactics---that's what you call science?
Posted by:
FThatsWhatUWant May-29
Mark As Violation

Admin Link: 5
God when wil this stop? Left wing media at it's best! Al Gore and his cronies are behind this. More money in Gore's pocket.
Posted by:
tyee12334 May-29
Mark As Violation

There are some comments on there that are more realistic but at least half or more are like the above.

There are a lot of people out there who are in denial of our environmental impacts and our overpopulation causing impacts on Earth's carrying capacity.

Based on their actions, I would say the majority of our leaders fall into that camp as well.

That is not good. :cry:
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ian807 » Sun 31 May 2009, 11:25:07

Define "civilization."
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 31 May 2009, 12:06:21

ian807 wrote:Define "civilization."

Primary Criteria

Settlement of cities of 5,000 or more people.
Full-time labor specialization.
Concentration of surplus.
Class structure.
State-level political organization.

Secondary Criteria

Monumental architecture
Long-distance trade
Sophisticated art
Writing
Predictive sciences (math, astronomy, etc.)

http://anthropik.com/2005/03/what-is-civilization/
Ludi

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 31 May 2009, 12:22:51

I'm carrying out a little sociology experiment on my facebook page. For a long time I didn't want people I knew to be my friend there because I post links to doom on a daily basis. I didn't want them to know I was a doomer. But after I came out to my family, I said f-it, so now I have people there I know, mostly childhood friends from the east coast and old coworkers from the west coast. Now, I see some of the stuff they post, mostly humor. It shows that they don't really burden themselves with pessimism. And yet I know they are reading my links. I've gotten a couple sarcastic comments here and there. So I'm kind of wondering what the net effect of this is, of them seeing my links stream by on a regular basis. Either this is like water of a duck's back or it's having some kind of subliminal effect. I guess I'll find out eventually.
mos6507

Unread postby TheDude » Sun 31 May 2009, 12:33:51

Hey, I'm going to be died by then and so will my kids....Why do I care about my grand children and beyond..Wow starting to sound Rushish! Don't people just do things because it's right? I hope to thing that's what makes us better then the wild animals in the forest! God forgive us!
Posted by:
bigmac32260 10:46 AM
Mark As Violation

I hope to thing your write, 2. :idea:
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Nefarious » Sun 31 May 2009, 12:55:38

If MSM is saying 2100 it probably means 2020. :lol:
'By the pricking of my thumbs,Something Wicked This Way Comes."
Nefarious
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Windmills » Sun 31 May 2009, 13:10:46

I think people confuse the concept of civilization with things like luxury, complicated technology, cheap oil, gas, and goal energy, and globalized economies. Civilization has existed without those things for most of recorded history. A change in economies, governments, and technology doesn't mean that civilization disappears. It just changes. Maybe violently, maybe painfully, maybe terribly, but it's still just a change, not an end to it.
Windmills
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby nobodypanic » Sun 31 May 2009, 18:45:36

mos6507 wrote:I'm carrying out a little sociology experiment on my facebook page. For a long time I didn't want people I knew to be my friend there because I post links to doom on a daily basis. I didn't want them to know I was a doomer. But after I came out to my family, I said f-it, so now I have people there I know, mostly childhood friends from the east coast and old coworkers from the west coast. Now, I see some of the stuff they post, mostly humor. It shows that they don't really burden themselves with pessimism. And yet I know they are reading my links. I've gotten a couple sarcastic comments here and there. So I'm kind of wondering what the net effect of this is, of them seeing my links stream by on a regular basis. Either this is like water of a duck's back or it's having some kind of subliminal effect. I guess I'll find out eventually.

and yet here, you're by comparison an optimist. ironic, isn't it? :P
2100? i think they're off by about 80 or 90 years.
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby peripato » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 02:51:23

Roy wrote:There are a lot of people out there who are in denial of our environmental impacts and our overpopulation causing impacts on Earth's carrying capacity.

And a lot of that type frequents this forum too. No need to name names - you wankers know who you are! :P
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby hillsidedigger » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 07:56:49

Remember, this world is just a birthing place for souls to later populate the heavens (a select percentage of them anyhow)

and it doesn't matter if in a few years the entire world is just a heap of rotting, disposable diapers.

Note - That is not what I think but it's what I have been frequently told by others for decades.

8O
hillsidedigger
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate