Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Democrat Thread Pt. 7

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Democrat Thread Pt. 7

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 08 Aug 2021, 13:33:39

Plant,
Ever read “Brave New World”?

Did’t O use that phrase at some point?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 09 Aug 2021, 08:18:03

O as in Obama or O as in the "The story of O"?
Perhaps both.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 10 Aug 2021, 00:44:07

I once read a French "bande Desinee" hippie comix version of THE STORY OF O.

It was a wonderful experience......although I wish my French had been better.

<https://flashbak.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/A-história-de-O.-Pauline-Réage-crepax-774x1024.jpg>

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 10 Aug 2021, 00:55:17

Yes....I've read "Brave New World"

It seems to me that many of Huxley's predictions are coming true all around us. But then so are many of George Orwell's predictions in 1984 also coming true.

Our modern world seems like a strange mix of Brave New World, 1984, The Story of O, and Disney's movie "The Song of the South." There are also elements of the Woody Allen film "Sleeper" in our modern world.......particularly the part about the leader who mentally is no longer with us, but his followers keep pretending that he is actually running the show.....thats a close fit to today's White House farce.

You say this came from the ultimate leader?

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 10 Aug 2021, 07:42:28

How about “Idiocracy”, where you had the professional wrestler as President, a fake pugilist could easily describe Trump. Although there are many deeper and true similarities.

“Lord of the Flies” also comes to mind in certain circumstances.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 10 Aug 2021, 14:22:28

Today we Have Andrew Cuomo resigning as governor of New York and Kathy Hochul taking office as the first woman governor of New York. A Moderate by New York standards she will of course face lots of challengers if she chooses to try for a full term in 2022. Albany at present is run by a far left AOC wing of the Democrat party so she is going to have her work cut out for her.
If she can actually do a good job at running the state for the next fifteen months that would be her best campaign strategy.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 10 Aug 2021, 18:27:38

vtsnowedin wrote:Today we Have Andrew Cuomo resigning as governor of New York ....

Hopefully once Cuomo leaves office in disgrace there will be an investigation of cuomo's responsibility for thousands on unnecessary deaths in nursing homes, caused by Cuomo's idiotic decision to send people who were sick with covid back into nursing homes rather then into hospitals.

Its just disgraceful that Biden congratulated Cuomo today for doing such a "great job" as governor.

Sheesh....can't Biden and the Ds stop lying for a second even when Cuomo is resigning in disgrace?

Biden today said Cuomo did a "great job" in office. SHEESH!!!!!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 10 Aug 2021, 18:44:57

Plantagenet wrote:Its just disgraceful that Biden congratulated Cuomo today for doing such a "great job" as governor.

Sheesh....can't Biden and the Ds stop lying for a second even when Cuomo is resigning in disgrace?

If Biden had two working braincells and one properly functioning synapsis connecting them then he would have kept his mouth shut on Cuomo. Thousands of innocent Americans died because of Cuomo's decisions; he is responsible for more American deaths than Osama bin Laden! Cuomo is a mass murderer and a sexual predator. Defending Cuomo is beyond stupid; it is demented! The Democrats are thoroughly corrupted.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 10 Aug 2021, 19:09:04

JuanP wrote:If Biden had two working braincells and one properly functioning synapsis connecting them then he would have kept his mouth shut on Cuomo. Thousands of innocent Americans died because of Cuomo's decisions; he is responsible for more American deaths than Osama bin Laden! Cuomo is a mass murderer and a sexual predator. Defending Cuomo is beyond stupid; it is demented! The Democrats are thoroughly corrupted.
Is it still OK to say Ditto to someones post or must we say" I Totally agree"?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 11 Aug 2021, 08:02:58

Any of the above or even a “^1+” would convey your agreement.

Maybe even “Me Too” but that may be confusing and/or incendiary.

Biden’s remark is also noteworthy because it channels another great President;
“Brownie, you are doing a heck of a job.”

Y’all remember that one?

Apparently Biden did not.

Memory loss?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 11 Aug 2021, 08:54:37

Ahhh, politics.,A verses B. Discussing the failings and merits of the chosen elitists must give one a certain sense of power as they watch their lives go down the toilet. Bush Bush Bush, Obama Obama Obama, Trump Trump Trump, Biden ... ...

They are probably all sitting down to dinner together tonight, patting each other on the back about their investments and pensions and benefits, all without a single though for the little plebeians that believed the lies that got them there.

But just wait until the next election! Then we'll show them! We'll vote B out of power and put A back in charge.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 11 Aug 2021, 09:27:54

theluckycountry wrote:Ahhh, politics.,A verses B. Discussing the failings and merits of the chosen elitists must give one a certain sense of power as they watch their lives go down the toilet. Bush Bush Bush, Obama Obama Obama, Trump Trump Trump, Biden ... ...

They are probably all sitting down to dinner together tonight, patting each other on the back about their investments and pensions and benefits, all without a single though for the little plebeians that believed the lies that got them there.

But just wait until the next election! Then we'll show them! We'll vote B out of power and put A back in charge.

I understand that you are being sarcastic. I agree; nothing will ever change. Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush Jr., Obama, Trump, Biden, etc. are all the same shit with a different taste. The system is thoroughly corrupted and anyone who thinks that either party will solve anything has been brainwashed and is being played.

Like you said elsewhere, we need to power down now, ride a bike, and plant a garden. Save yourselves because nobody else is going to do it for you. This ship is going down and it's up to you to put on a lifejacket and find a lifeboat.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 11 Aug 2021, 11:18:55

My garden is doing nicely this year. could I interest you in a bushel or two of Zucchini. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 11 Aug 2021, 16:31:28

In case you had not seen my previous posts on this topic….

The TWO parties are substantially the same; they each are behoden to elites so that they can remain in power.

As far as I know there is no constitutional mandate or protection for either party.

I have offered a number of reforms designed to gut the parties of influence. I won’t repeat them here unless asked. But they include term limits and changes to how we elect the President and representatives.

There is zero point voting for A or B. Which was the point of my post, thry are functionally identical.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 11 Aug 2021, 18:59:08

Aug 11 (Reuters) – U.S. President Joe Biden’s top aides are pressuring OPEC and its allies to boost oil output to tackle rising gasoline prices that they see as a threat to global economic recovery.

https://gcaptain.com/white-house-calls- ... -more-oil/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 11 Aug 2021, 19:07:43

Newfie wrote:
There is zero point voting for A or B. Which was the point of my post, thry are functionally identical.

I Disagree.
While the quote of "not a dimes worth of difference" has a lot of merit from any point in time the party out of power can and will point out what they see as a better way hoping to win the next election and regaining that power.
This seeking the majority view which will win them the next election keeps them from going too far from reality.
I do think the Democrats right now are making very big and dangerous bets and that will come back to bite them.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 11 Aug 2021, 21:11:41

Today's Biden self-contradictory weirdness is Joe saying he wants to spend 3 trillion dollars to cut fossil fuel use while simultaneously imploring the Saudis to pump more oil so the US can continue to have cheap gasoline and burn more fossil fuels.

My guess is that kind of nonsensical thing keeps happening with Joe because Joe has multiple different speech writers who all write quite opposite things, and Joe is so senile and dumb he just reads whatever the teleprompter says and doesn't realize in the afternoon he is contradicting what he said just that morning.

Joe's gaffe problem is NOT solved.....he just reads whatever is on the teleprompter in front of his face, and sometimes it makes no sense. Often what Joe reads and says in the morning contradicts what he reads and says later in the afternoon.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Thu 12 Aug 2021, 16:11:55

It's not just the Saudis, what takes the cake is how the US is increasing both oil and LNG imports from Russia. The "existential threat".
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 12 Aug 2021, 18:23:04

vtsnowedin wrote:My garden is doing nicely this year. could I interest you in a bushel or two of Zucchini. :)

No thank you, but I would take a bushel or so of potatoes, or kidney beans, or corn, these are the thinks that will keep me alive. Do you grow any such?
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 12 Aug 2021, 19:20:55

JuanP wrote:
Like you said elsewhere, we need to power down now, ride a bike, and plant a garden. Save yourselves because nobody else is going to do it for you. This ship is going down and it's up to you to put on a lifejacket and find a lifeboat.

Yes, and of course I'm just quoting others, with greater vision than myself. I think it was the arch druid who said "collapse now and avoid the rush", and he got the idea from a question posed at one of his lectures I believe. But it's all common sense when you open your eyes and look around. I have a peakoil podcast from 2005 featuring Jim Kunstler, and in the question period after his talk a young woman who had invested years to become a teacher in something like Media studies at a uni asked him this.

"So you are saying that we should all just throw in the towel and pitch a teepee in the back yard? But when you have a food in both worlds it's like, what the hell, what..."

To which he answered

"Well look, it's very difficult, and what you need to do is recognize the difficulty of your position. You have in invested what, 18 years in becoming a teacher, and now your not even sure that the institutional support will be there for you. Here in the auditorium the lights are still on, if it was winter this room would be heated, so the big ship is tooting along and on course and you feel like you should stay with the ship. That's natural, but other people may be having other ideas, they may be thinking of changing professions..."

Basically what the interchange portrayed was the frog in the pot dilemma faced by many who are caught in the previous investment trap, including many Here on this forum, people who believe that "They" will think of something, or "If they only applied my pet theory" the problems of the world would go away. Well in the 15 years since that podcast the standard of living in western nations has gone markedly downhill. Retirement accounts hardly offer a return and the capital itself in them is at risk like never before. Jobs are vanishing like never before and housing and food, the basics, are getting out of reach for millions.

If those changes had have happened in a two year period I bet a lot more people would be diving into the lifeboats, what lifeboats there are left that is. Rural properties have been going up and up in price and getting scarcer and scarcer. Here in Oz most of the smaller ones are gone. And they will not be on the market again either because people have fled the cities in droves to escape the draconian lockdowns. Soon all the lifeboats will have floated away and the people in the titanic, the cities, will be stuck on a sinking ship, stuck up a cul-de-sac in a concrete SUV without a fill-up as JHK says.

And it's not all roses and apple pie on a lifeboat either. They are dangerous places to be, they are a last desperate resort. Yet many here have been lulled by the relative peace and quiet up to date, lulled into the idea they will be happily canning tomatoes and gathering eggs while millions of people just down the highway starve to death. It wont be that way.

https://kunstler.com/other-stuff/petroc ... w-york-ny/ I can't find the MP3 online unfortunately but this is JHK talk transcript.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion