Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Deluge Thread (merged)

Re: Deluge Thread 2016

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 30 Apr 2016, 23:25:48

Flash floods and severe storms hit Texas again, claiming lives and destroying everything, some locations saw 7 inches of rain in under an hour!...precipitation from a warmer, wetter atmosphere...

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016 ... orth.html/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 12 May 2016, 09:33:48

The torrential rains and landslides during April in northern Pakistan’s resulted in the deaths of more than 140 people and left widespread destruction. It is the second spell of heavy rain this spring in the area and experts say that heavy deforestation and rapid erosion of mountainsides exacerbated the damage.

According to leading environmentalist Malik Amin Aslam, “While climate change is causing the enhanced intensity of rainfall, deforestation is unfortunately abetting the mass scale damage”

https://www.thethirdpole.net/2016/05/11 ... akes-hold/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 18 May 2016, 18:02:57

One of the deadliest weather-related disaster of 2016 is unfolding in Sri Lanka, where heavy rains from Tropical Cyclone One have triggered flash floods and landslides that have killed at least 34 people and left 134 missing.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffM ... -leave-134
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 19 May 2016, 12:40:28

Follow up on the worsening Sri Lanka situation:

http://uk.reuters.com/video/2016/05/18/ ... Channel=75

Landslides in Sri Lanka have killed at least 150 people after days of heavy rain

Stunning videos.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 20 May 2016, 23:15:17

Bangladesh relocates millions as cyclone Roanu approaches

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyclo ... SKCN0YB29D

Sorry if this isn't in the perfect thread, T.

We cat's have trouble herding oursleves, afterall!!

:? 8) :lol: :razz: :cry: :twisted: :roll: :P :shock: 8O :o
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 28 May 2016, 07:35:40

I need more rainwater collection tanks!

As Dohboi mentioned in the 2016 Hurricane thread, Texas (Central-eastward towards Houston) had some record setting deluges again recently. MSM has been reporting many stories and images:
See
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/27/us/severe-weather/

We have a good chance of more thunderstorms this weekend.
Last edited by PeakOiler on Sat 28 May 2016, 08:04:00, edited 2 times in total.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 28 May 2016, 07:53:19

Thanks for this, PO. Keep us posted...and stay safe!!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 28 May 2016, 08:00:43

Thanks, Dohboi.

Here's one more link to the recent flooding:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-flooding-turns-deadly-more-rain-expected/

I did not get nearly as much rain as they did east of my location, but enough to overflow my rainwater tanks again.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sun 29 May 2016, 06:50:07

Yikes! I've been keeping an eye on the weather radar for our area. Probably my favorite is the Lower
Colorado River Authority (LCRA) website. The radar currently shows a large swath of more rain heading to where some places got over 11 inches of rain, and then possibly to Houston later today. San Antonio got a lot of rain last night, and it looks like they're about to get more.

http://hydromet.lcra.org/full.aspx#

It is an interactive map. The left sidebar allows one to select between streamflow, rainfall, etc. Check out the streamflows!

The major cell that was tornadic yesterday evening was dropping large hail, but moved to my south. I haven't seen any local news reports about any tornados on the ground.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 29 May 2016, 14:18:56

Nice site. Is it only for TX?

More to come for an already drenched Texas, it looks like:

More Locally Heavy Rain For Flood-Weary Texas This Week

As we move into the new week, a dip in the jet stream, or trough, will move into the southwestern U.S. This pattern has repeated itself several times in recent months resulting in many heavy rain and flooding events for parts of Texas.

By midweek the trough will slide into western Texas. Plenty of moisture will once more be transported into Texas from the Pacific Ocean aloft and from the Gulf of Mexico at the surface. The result will be more locally heavy rain and thunderstorms for a significant portion of the Lone Star State.

https://www.wunderground.com/news/flash ... ns-may27-0
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby ozcad » Mon 30 May 2016, 16:04:47

DB - at website
http://hydromet.lcra.org/full.aspx#
...you can use the mouse to pull the map around & zoom to look at anywhere in the world, but rainfall imagery only seems to be provided for the USA.
ozcad
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 30 May 2016, 16:07:06

When I use it, the streamflow data seems to go away outside of TX.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby PeakOiler » Tue 31 May 2016, 12:29:01

dohboi wrote:When I use it, the streamflow data seems to go away outside of TX.

Dohboi, this is a "local" interactive map of the Lower Colorado River data in Texas. So you won't see any streamflow data outside the Colorado river watersheds.

Are there any organizations in your area that track or monitor river flows?

The LCRA's Hydromet web site gives residents, especially those living in or near the watersheds, streams and rivers, information for what the LCRA is doing for flood control, such as when floodgates are opened, or what and how the rivers and lakes are managed. For example, the Flood Status Information report currently states:
LCRA has opened floodgates at Mansfield Dam and Tom Miller Dam. Floodgate operations along the Highland Lakes are underway in response to rain that fell in the upper basin over the last several days.

The Highland Lakes are full and passing excess inflows at all dams. Soils are saturated from widespread rains of about 1 to 2 inches over the Highland Lake watershed the night of May 29-30. Creeks and rivers flowing into the Highland Lakes have risen significantly and are expected to continue to flow at a high rate over the next several days. In accordance with U.S. Army Corps of Engineers protocols for operation of Mansfield Dam, LCRA has initiated floodgate operations. Forecasts and operational plans for the Highland Lakes dams are likely to continue to change with the changing conditions and with significant additional rainfall in the forecast.

At Mansfield and Tom Miller Dams - On Monday, May 30 LCRA opened three floodgates at Mansfield Dam in addition to ongoing releases of water through hydroelectric generation to release excess flood water from Lake Travis. One floodgate was opened at Mansfield Dam every two hours beginning at 5 p.m. (5 p.m., 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.). Downstream at Tom Miller Dam, LCRA opened three floodgates to pass the water released from Mansfield Dam.

At Buchanan and Inks Dams - At 4 a.m. on Monday, May 30, the partially opened gate in the 14-gate section of Buchanan Dam was fully opened to pass increased inflows due to overnight rains. Downstream at Inks Dam, the additional releases from the floodgate caused Inks Lake to gradually rise to about two feet above the spillway of Inks Dam, as it is designed to do during period of heavy flow. Inks Dam has a designated spillway, but no floodgates.

At Wirtz and Starcke Dams - At 8 a.m. on Monday, May 30, LCRA partially opened one floodgate at Wirtz Dam to pass inflows from the Llano River and Colorado River. The additional releases from Wirtz Dam prompted LCRA to partially open one floodgate downstream at Starcke Dam shortly after at about 8:30 a.m.

The releases from Mansfield and Tom Miller dams will flow downstream gradually over the next week and are not expected to worsen current flooding along the Colorado River downstream of Austin. Intense thunderstorms developed over much of Texas Thursday night through Friday morning, May 26-27, with some areas in the lower Colorado River basin receiving 8 to 11 inches of rain. The rain caused flooding along the lower Colorado River downstream of Austin. By Sunday morning, flood levels along the river had started to fall from Bastrop to Columbus. River levels are forecast to continue to rise at Wharton and Bay City over the next few days as floodwaters from the recent rains flow downstream. See the River Levels and Forecasts section below for the latest updates.

Unscheduled releases from the Highland Lakes dams may occur at any time to safely move floodwaters downstream. People should exercise caution and avoid being in the water near the dams at all times.

LCRA encourages the public to be alert to local conditions and be prepared to take protective actions. When flash flooding occurs, avoid unnecessary travel. If you must travel, don't drive into flooded roadways. Remember "Turn around, don't drown."

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Tue 31 May 2016, 13:09:02

Today may not be a good day for boating on the Highland Lakes in Central Texas. Kayakers, on the other hand, may head out there to get some good rushing whitewater practice! (Not to mention emergency response teams getting practice too...)

The current radar shows the next round of thunderstorms adding more rain to the saturated ground northwest of the Highland Lakes and the uppermost watersheds of the Colorado river. The hydroelectric generation by the dams will increase too. Hey, got to love using more non-fossil fuel energy for awhile...

I measured about 1.25" rain in the last 48 hrs.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 31 May 2016, 14:36:11

Again, stay safe. Can we ask what part of Texas you're in?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby PeakOiler » Tue 31 May 2016, 16:23:47

dohboi wrote:Again, stay safe. Can we ask what part of Texas you're in?

Central Texas, near the Highland Lakes NW of Austin.

Dohboi, you didn't answer my question above. Does your state have any organizations/state agency that monitors stream flow data in your neck of the woods?

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Tue 31 May 2016, 16:47:11

Meanwhile, the Brazos river continues flooding and it's watersheds are getting even more rain:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amid-deadly-floods-texas-braces-for-more/

I better get this post sent before the power goes out. Thunderstorms are going over me. I lost power momentarily at the house the other morning.

Btw, I do have a small boat that I could use if the water level ever got so high around here in an emergency situation, but I think I'm in a 500 yr floodplain. I should double check that assessment and in the meantime, stock up the boat! LOL

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 31 May 2016, 23:12:50

"Does your state have any organizations/state agency that monitors stream flow data in your neck of the woods?"

Sorry about that. I have not yet looked into it.

I live quite near the only actual gorge that the mighty Mississippi makes along its whole length, so drainage is faily good in my immediate vicinity. I am curious occasionally about other areas, though.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vox_mundi » Thu 02 Jun 2016, 19:57:23

Three dead, 3 rescued, 6 missing from swamped Fort Hood Army vehicle

FORT HOOD, Texas (KWTX) Three soldiers who were in an Army truck that overturned at a low water crossing near Lake Belton died Thursday, three were rescued and a search is still underway for six others, Fort Hood said early Thursday evening.

Rescue crews responded at around 11:20 a.m. Thursday after the light medium tactical vehicle overturned at the Owl Creek Tactical low-water crossing and East Range Road, the post said.

“Three confirmed deceased Soldiers were recovered from the water downstream from the vehicle,” the post said.

“The search is ongoing for six Soldiers from the 3rd Battalion, 16th Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division,” the post said.

The driver escaped unharmed, but the truck was left almost submerged.

Louvre moving artwork as floodwaters rise in Paris

Many of the most important sites in the French capital sit right off the river, including the National Assembly, the French Foreign Ministry and the Eiffel Tower.

As of Thursday afternoon, Paris’s two most famous museums were not taking any chances with the priceless treasures they hold.

The Louvre Museum — the storied home of the Mona Lisa and the largest art gallery in the world — began evacuating certain pieces from its collections held underground. The museum stretches directly along the Seine for several city blocks.

The works in vulnerable locations will be evacuated to higher levels as the Louvre responds to rapidly rising floodwaters in the French capital, according to the famed museum

Directly across the river, on the Left Bank, sits the Orsay Museum, a 19th-century train station that now holds the world's most extensive collection of Impressionist and post-Impressionist art.

On Thursday, the Orsay closed early and said in a statement that a “crisis management team” had been organized to move some of its most important pieces if the river rises above 18 feet.

“The museum has already transferred a good part of its reserves in outside storage buildings, as part of a prevention plan,” the statement said.

Some experts have estimated that by Friday, the Seine could rise by 18.4 feet.

The downpours are forecast to continue through the weekend, following days of heavy rains that have proved deadly in France and Germany.

France is to declare a state of natural disaster for the areas worst affected by flooding, French President Francois Hollande told French media Thursday -- a move that will release emergency funds to local authorities.

Meteo-France, France's national meteorological service, said the worst-affected waterway was the Loing River, a tributary of the Seine.
Waters from the Loing flooded the streets of Nemours, a town about 80 kilometers (50 miles) south of Paris, on Thursday.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 02 Jun 2016, 21:34:09

That's nature reminding everyone to do better than COP21.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate