Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Decline and Fall of the American Empire Pt. 2

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Who Wants to Live in America Thats Like This

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 10:59:17

Roger Rabbit get's all his sheeple beliefs from GLP.
vision-master

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 11:12:11

Does the right wing think they make any headway with the phony war on Christmas meme? As I type this, MSNBC (the most godless liberal media on the tube) has a breaking news banner that says "Santa Makes Final Plans for Christmas" and the anchor is talking to the weatherman about Santa's travel plans and the intervening weather.

Paraphrasing from The Anchorman - This news story is based on actual events. Only the names, places, and events have been changed.

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 13:43:55

dinopello wrote:MSNBC (the most godless liberal media on the tube) has a breaking news banner that says "Santa Makes Final Plans for Christmas" and the anchor is talking to the weatherman about Santa's travel plans and the intervening weather.
Santa and his plans have nothing to do with religion.

Religious folks are into the true spirit of Xmas with the real St. Nick:
No Ho Ho.

RR could move to the Holy Land:
Knesset speaker nixes on-site Christmas tree
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 15:57:21

Oh that was an obvious hoax, like the famous elementary school that "banned red and green napkins," except they never had any.

But somewhere in Gooberland, someone is packing pipe bombs full of nails (or at least fantasizing about it) over this story.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 16:52:39

dolanbaker wrote:I think that I'll stay this side of the pond.
It's not as mad here!

Even with crazy stuff like this:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25488259
Marks & Spencer has apologised after a Muslim member of staff refused to serve a customer trying to buy alcohol.

The retailer said it usually tried to assign "suitable roles" to staff who could not handle certain items because of their religious beliefs.

It said this policy had not been followed in a case highlighted by the Telegraph over the weekend.

Consuming alcohol is forbidden in Islam, and some Muslims refuse to handle it at all.

An unnamed customer told the newspaper they had tried to buy a bottle of champagne from an M&S store in London, but the member of staff "was very apologetic but said she could not serve me" and asked the customer to use another till.

A spokesperson for M&S said: "Where we have an employee whose religious beliefs restrict food or drink they can handle, we work closely with our member of staff to place them in suitable role, such as in our clothing department or bakery in foods.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 16:57:15

Make em the bacon cooker. lol
vision-master

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 18:07:03

Dino, associating the crazies from a tiny church with a congregation numbering less than 20 as representative of the average Christian is no better than associating all socially liberal people with Bill Ayers and his bomb throwing revolutionaries of the 1960's. Ayers had about as many compatriots as that westboro crowd has members and his tactics were just as far from normal.

My Lord tells me to love every human being, no matter how distasteful I personally find the choices they make or the lives they choose to lead. I try and love them all, and I fail miserably much of the time. I try not to hate any person and sometimes fail at that as well.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 18:17:57

Subjectivist wrote:Dino, associating the crazies from a tiny church with a congregation numbering less than 20...

I think you responded to the wrong post. I never made any such association. Merry Christmas.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 18:20:26

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 18:37:55

dinopello wrote:Does the right wing think they make any headway with the phony war on Christmas meme?

There is a definite shift toward "happy holidays" and not mentioning "Christmas."

Here's the thing though.. this is a free country.. and people are going more secular, this is coming from the bottom up it's not mandated by government.

Personally I like "Christmas," I think Happy Holidays is silly too, but -- other Americans do not feel that way, for whatever reason they are moving toward calling this the Holidays and saying Christmas less. If the Right doesn't like that, then go bible thump in a church or hold some revivals, they have free speech they can evangelize and convert -- what do they want, government to step in and ENFORCE the word Christmas?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 18:53:43

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Roger Rabbit » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 19:56:00

vision-master wrote:Roger Rabbit get's all his sheeple beliefs from GLP.

Great comment from a lib tard like yourself, hope you enjoy the great Gay America you lib tards have made for us..

Watch out, God has a message for us in 2014 and its not going to be a nice..
Roger Rabbit

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 23:02:50

Pops,

Thanks for the "hat trick".

I suspect that Mr. RR was intending to get banned and was intentionally pressing the mod buttons as far as possible.

I know you guys try to be as fair as possible and do a good job.

I also believe a bit of moderation generally improves the overall quality of the site.

So, thanks for the gift of a less rude christmas. Cheers.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Vogelzang » Sun 29 Dec 2013, 21:56:14

Vote Republican!
Vogelzang
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 01:53:37

Pops wrote:Another retweet from the Outrage Of The Day propaganda machine.

Hope this isn't too divergent; but American news, both left and right is absolutely dominated by "outrage of the day" type articles, meant to drive click counts and comment posts which cause more click counts and more advertising revenue.

Recently... I did something, myself, about it. I subscribed to a news source whose articles are, for whatever reason, completely lacking any of the "outrage" pieces. They're just missing. If there is any hint at an underlying source of one, its very muted, and with no word choices that would provoke anything more than a vague, "that's odd" comment.

Yes.. I subscribed to the Financial Times of London.

I am finding it a bit hard to go cold turkey from my daily dose of outrage, but I scold myself when I open the google/drudge news article accumulators.... Instead of outrage, the articles are dry, information filled, and couldn't provoke an emotional response from an unstable psychopath. Much less entertaining, but much more informative.

Not saying FT would be appropriate for all, but surely there is a suitable, but dispassionate source of informational reporting available, if one were to seek it out.

It will be less fun to read though.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 02:16:42

re.. war on Christmas meme. Now that it has past, or at least it's retail propaganda abomination has past; something to think about: The merchant/consumerist religion, declared war on Christmas a century or more ago; by perverting it into a gift purchase and exchange obligation. The only way to take Christmas back, to reopen the war and fight it straight up, is to disassociate individual gift exchange with the religious holiday. If you can't go cold turkey, you can do things like giving the gift as a seasonal present, not on the day or eve-of. My daughter did quite well by "end of year" gifts, but there was nothing associated with the 24th and 25th of December, nor the Son of God. Jesus did not call for her to get a piece of software, musical instrument, or electronic gadget on his birthday. I do not honor the faith by tossing a wrapped box at a present-ravenous teen.

The more you can do, as a Christian, to break this link, the closer we come to reclaiming a Holy day from the consumer cult.

Pray on Christmas.
Give silently and anonymously to dispersed charity on Christmas.

Do not pile up a mass of wrapped boxes with trinkets in them and call it "Christmas". Call it Snow-A-Palooza or something fun if you want to do one, and try to make it *NOT* on Christmas day or eve.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 12:22:13

I've always found the FT to be reasonably informative, but obviously with a very right wing bias. The british tabloids are terrible, the worst IMHO being the Daily Mail and Daily Express which appear to give a 'sensible' POV but are actually incredibly biased and peddle more garbage than the Sun Mirror and Star which don't really pretend not to be comics.

Now in France, I am very impressed with the newspapers particularly at a regional level. Radio is also excellent though challenging. TV however is different.............

AgentR11 wrote:
Pops wrote:Another retweet from the Outrage Of The Day propaganda machine.

Hope this isn't too divergent; but American news, both left and right is absolutely dominated by "outrage of the day" type articles, meant to drive click counts and comment posts which cause more click counts and more advertising revenue.

Recently... I did something, myself, about it. I subscribed to a news source whose articles are, for whatever reason, completely lacking any of the "outrage" pieces. They're just missing. If there is any hint at an underlying source of one, its very muted, and with no word choices that would provoke anything more than a vague, "that's odd" comment.

Yes.. I subscribed to the Financial Times of London.

I am finding it a bit hard to go cold turkey from my daily dose of outrage, but I scold myself when I open the google/drudge news article accumulators.... Instead of outrage, the articles are dry, information filled, and couldn't provoke an emotional response from an unstable psychopath. Much less entertaining, but much more informative.

Not saying FT would be appropriate for all, but surely there is a suitable, but dispassionate source of informational reporting available, if one were to seek it out.

It will be less fun to read though.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Surreal Photos of America’s Abandoned Malls

Unread postby Loki » Sat 05 Apr 2014, 03:03:29

Just the tip of the iceberg of malinvestment in this country.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/complete ... oned-malls

A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Re: Surreal Photos of America’s Abandoned Malls

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 05 Apr 2014, 11:46:16

Great bat habitat
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Re: Surreal Photos of America’s Abandoned Malls

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 05 Apr 2014, 17:13:41

So buildings in this country don't get old or break down if poorly built or maintained?

Since when?

Whether McMansion, shopping mall, industrial factory with its labor outsourced to cheap global labor, or just plain old real estate which breaks down over time -- this happens.

If you expect investment (of any type) with decent returns with NO risk -- you've come to the wrong planet.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion