Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Costa Rica Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Greetings from Costa Rica

Unread postby syrac818 » Wed 05 Dec 2007, 04:58:21

Hi Richard,

I was in Costa Rica for two months this summer - loved it. I hope to return soon.

About this forum, it's a nuthouse. Seriously, it's not a stable group. A large group of people oddly excited about apocalyptic scenarios, and if it's not peak oil they'll find another reason to discuss the impending painful doom upon us. Or something like that.

There are exceptions to this, and there are some very intelligent people, but it's important to understand the vibe of this place when reading the forum.
syrac818
Peat
Peat

Unread postby frankthetank » Wed 05 Dec 2007, 14:37:13

Syrac-

What did you do down there? Please tell me you didn't get to eat Papaya and Mangoes everyday? I think that is one tropical country i could probably stand to live in. They also use the US dollar if i remember correctly.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby RichardBlank » Wed 05 Dec 2007, 16:28:52

Thanks steam_cannon. That is the sort of information I was seeking.

In regards to the other stuff...no worries. I know how it is to be the new guy.

syrac818

I am glad that you were able to spend a lot of time in paradise. I would be very interested to know about your adventure. If you ever decide to return, I may have some good suggestions for you.
RichardBlank
Wood
Wood

Unread postby bodigami » Sun 20 Jan 2008, 14:06:24

Hi, I'm also from Costa Rica.
pstarr wrote:
RichardBlank wrote:Thanks for your reply pstarr. Don't worry, I will not call you during dinner. Richard
People who frequent this board may perhaps have read my opinions regarding Costa Rica's future in a post-peak world. It's proximity to impoverished and densely populated states with a history of violent revolution and oppression does not bode well for the wealthy European and North Americans moving there. It also irritates me to see folks cashing in on real estate opportunities in such a place. Having said that, I imagine that if were my lot to work in a dark and windowless Call-Mill I would probably prefer the highlands of Costa Rica to the steamy sweating lowlands of Calcutta. :twisted:

Maras (vicious gangs) are being exported to USA and not to Costa Rica... if immigration was not a problem, Costa Rica is a good enough place to be post-PO.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bodigami » Sun 20 Jan 2008, 14:13:29

frankthetank wrote:Syrac-What did you do down there? Please tell me you didn't get to eat Papaya and Mangoes everyday? I think that is one tropical country i could probably stand to live in. They also use the US dollar if i remember correctly.

Yes there are many tasty fruits in Costa Rica, but most are eaten "on season". For part of commerce we use the U$D, but the ₡olon is currently re-apreciating with respect to the U$D. in the Central Bank of Costa Rica website you can read the current price: link
It's at ₡498 = $1; it peaked months ago at about ₡420
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sun 20 Jan 2008, 17:29:18

syrac818 wrote: About this forum, it's a nuthouse. Seriously, it's not a stable group.

rotflmao !
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby RichardBlank » Sun 20 Jan 2008, 23:15:05

pstarr

I am not exactly sure if that is the case. I do know that my agents are probably some of the most talented and educated professionals that I have had the pleasure to know. My work is to enhance their career development.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Richard
RichardBlank
Wood
Wood

Unread postby katkinkate » Mon 21 Jan 2008, 08:06:16

Welcome. Yes, it is a bit of a madhouse sometimes. But you know, highly intelligent people tend to be highly individualistic characters. :) (not to mention opinionated)
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby RichardBlank » Mon 21 Jan 2008, 17:03:22

katkinkate

That is one of the many reasons I decided to join this forum.
RichardBlank
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Revi » Mon 21 Jan 2008, 17:40:53

I lived in Alajuela in the early 80's and went back recently. I love Costa Rica. Puravida! I lived in Guatemala also for about 2 years. It is a beautiful, but troubled place. Ticos are about the most civilized people I know. When you ask them about abolishing the army they respond that they spend that money on education.

Eco-tourism seems to be working in Costa Rica. We visited about five years ago and stayed in small hotels run by Ticos. I told the students we took with us not to drink the water or eat salads, but it turned out that the Costa Rican government had spent money on water treatment plants and that it was fine to eat salad and drink the water. Maybe they had more money because of abolishing the army...

Bienvenidos al foro del cumbre del petroleo!
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Nicholai » Mon 21 Jan 2008, 17:49:26

I have some questions, some answerable and others possibly not soo much.

1) How is Costa Rica dealing with climate change? I don't really care about its environmental policy, I just want to know if there are any major droughts. Basically, my friend and his family are moving there to grow their own food etc. and I want to make sure that it's a stable region when most major ecosystems begin negative/positive feedback mechanisms etc.

2) Population density, are we talking giant clusters of people or is the region fairly spread out with a moderate population? I've looked at some charts and wiki articles but news from the ground would really be appreciated.
3) Fresh water supply, lots, abundant, hard to come by?
4) Safety; are foreigners disliked? Is it hard to get a visa?

Anything else to someone looking to move to Costa Rica and plans to stay during possible environmental problems or economic problems that you can think of would be much appreciated. Many thanks and best of luck.
Nicholai
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RichardBlank » Mon 21 Jan 2008, 17:50:44

Thanks Revi.

Good to know that you see all of the positive aspects of living and visiting Costa Rica.

I have been here almost eight years. The best years of my life!

Pura Vida
RichardBlank
Wood
Wood

Unread postby bodigami » Tue 22 Jan 2008, 17:47:10

Last edited by bodigami on Fri 09 Jan 2009, 23:00:34, edited 1 time in total.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bodigami » Tue 22 Jan 2008, 17:54:18

Last edited by bodigami on Fri 09 Jan 2009, 23:00:40, edited 1 time in total.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bodigami » Tue 22 Jan 2008, 17:57:00

Nicholai wrote:I have some questions, some answerable and others possibly not soo much.

1) How is Costa Rica dealing with climate change? I don't really care about its environmental policy, I just want to know if there are any major droughts. Basically, my friend and his family are moving there to grow their own food etc. and I want to make sure that it's a stable region when most major ecosystems begin negative/positive feedback mechanisms etc.

It's good enough, but I can not predict if something "really hellish" happens with the climate... like the forrest in tropics becoming desserts after the death of amazon...

Nicholai wrote:
2) Population density, are we talking giant clusters of people or is the region fairly spread out with a moderate population? I've looked at some charts and wiki articles but news from the ground would really be appreciated.

The population is not that big for each area of land, uni-familiar houser are common. However, there's some urban planning that is needed for ending the sprawl. If you actually read the delimitation urban zones, and don't live near (at the) rivers, you will be fine.

The population is slowing its growth rate.

Nicholai wrote:3) Fresh water supply, lots, abundant, hard to come by?
4) Safety; are foreigners disliked? Is it hard to get a visa?

If you live near a big city, public potable water from the "tube" is the dorm. But some work on water treatment and disposable is needed, and slowly being worked on.

Foreigners, as long as being respectfull, peaceful and honest are welcomed. Hungry people are welcomed too as long as they are willing to work.

Nicholai wrote:Anything else to someone looking to move to Costa Rica and plans to stay during possible environmental problems or economic problems that you can think of would be much appreciated. Many thanks and best of luck.

Conctact someone locally, don't asume everyone knows english and learn some spanish, "be part of the (environmental and economical) solution"...
Last edited by bodigami on Fri 09 Jan 2009, 23:01:39, edited 1 time in total.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby manu » Sat 26 Jan 2008, 08:45:25

syrac818 wrote:Hi Richard,

I was in Costa Rica for two months this summer - loved it. I hope to return soon.

About this forum, it's a nuthouse. Seriously, it's not a stable group. A large people oddly excited about apocalyptic scenarios, and if it's not peak oil they'll find another reason to discuss the impending painful doom upon us. Or something like that.

There are exceptions to this, and there are some very intelligent people, but it's important to understand the vibe of this place when reading the forum.

And there are others who are like lemmings running for the cliff, telling each other how great everything is. If you are not from Costa Rica plan on your house getting ripped off when you leave.
manu
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby RichardBlank » Sun 27 Jan 2008, 19:05:58

Very interesting point.

Crime has no direction... Those that walk the streets in Costa Rica counting their $100 dollar bills on main street will have problems. I am amazed on how people do not stay focused while on vacation in a third world country.
RichardBlank
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to North America Discussion