Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Costa Rica Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: antimilitarism: Costa Rica and Panama

Unread postby Colorado-Valley » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 02:04:04

Is "corporation 2.0" the same thing as "The New World Order?"

Where does Blackwater fit into all this?
Colorado-Valley
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Jack » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 07:33:26

Having the "license to kill" really makes you feel safer?
It absolutely does.
I have an idea. Get Venezuela to demilitarize - think of it as a test case. Then let's see what happens.

Sounds like fun. 8)
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Zardoz » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 11:11:06

NTBKtrader wrote:...In the battle of Athens vs Sparta..who won?

Athens today.

Sparta today.

Any questions?
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Zardoz » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 21:04:32

zensui wrote:What's your point?

He asked a question. I answered it.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Alcassin » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 21:18:11

Anyway - nevermind who won and who lost.
Greece lost because of deforestation, and after that catastrophe they were easily conquered.

PS. Another great avatar Zardoz. Where do you find them?
Peak oil is only an indication and a premise of limits to growth on a finite planet.
Denial is the most predictable of all human responses.
Alcassin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Jack » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 22:31:34

zensui wrote:ok, but there's a difference between killing for resources and killing to save your own life. I was talking of the former.

I don't have a problem with killing for resources. Let me be blunt. If the U.S. can keep happy motoring going for another few years at the cost of billions dead, it's well worth it.

Surely you don't think I'd be willing to take up subsistence gardening to save the lives of others? :lol:
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Zardoz » Thu 11 Oct 2007, 00:14:15

Alcassin wrote:Where do you find them?

Mostly Google Images, but I follow link trails as well. They're buried in the most unlikely places at times. It's turned into a fun little hobby, as you can tell.
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bodigami » Thu 11 Oct 2007, 22:31:08

Shannymara wrote:zensui, as long as this dominator culture exists, it will eat all other cultures. It's not sustainable because it depends on infinite growth, so eventually (soon, IMO) it will cease to exist. Then, if there are humans remaining on this planet, there will be an opportunity for better cultures to flourish.
See "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Diamond for many examples. There's a guy in the recently released film "What a Way to Go" who explains it rather concisely, too.

There was better cultures that flourished. Buddhism has 2500+ years of existance. This over-consumption culture should be cut off now, it doesn't deserve to exist... and PO is a great opportunity for all to realize the consequences of their actions against nature. Thanks for the link.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby deMolay » Thu 25 Oct 2007, 22:56:15

Whenever someone makes themselves into a sheep, some else makes themselves into a wolf.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pana_burda » Sat 27 Oct 2007, 23:14:54

Jack wrote:I have an idea. Get Venezuela to demilitarize - think of it as a test case. Then let's see what happens.

You just hit the nail by its head!
(unable to paste up the desired sentence here)

link Since day one, Ven. commander in thief has been in the process of dismanteling off our military body. The result is quite illustrated within that article AND in that other link bellow, which I find VERY interesting to read IF you people are interested in seeing a more realistic approach to OUR reality. Hope you find it interesting too!

The emerging "reserve" army (hugo´s pretorian force) is mainly integrated by physycally and mentally unfit personnel and directed in a non-professional strategic vision of the military branches. Hardly what a military "force" ought to look/act like in the event of an international conflict yet very apt as an occupational force by the degree of political influence (brainwashing) they are subject to/of! link
Not too actual yet representing the feel of what the Altamira Square Civil-Military Movement WAS all about and some other eyeopening information.
pana_burda
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: In freefall speed right down to the claws of the devil

Unread postby Blammo » Sun 28 Oct 2007, 13:38:03

I live in CR. It's a great place and folks say " We have no military" with pure pride.

Hugo is doing what the US should. Bitchslapping the fatcats and corporations that take advantage of the poor, ripoff the sick and tax the hell out of everyone to support-defend the utterly useless, welfare state of Israel. When the M-pyre finally does fall it'll put a hurting on the world for a while and force people to live as their forefathers did. Asia will hurt the most since it's "developed" ( living off selling useless chit to the residents of the M-pyre).

The cities will be murder and chaos until enough of them kill each other to reduce the rat race environment to something more sustainable. Those of us in the rural areas will have to drop them, en mass, as they come trying to steal since the brainwashing led them to the cities in search of non-existant dreams and wealth.. Other than that ? Have a nice day. :roll: Pura Vida..
Blammo
Wood
Wood

Greetings from Costa Rica

Unread postby RichardBlank » Tue 04 Dec 2007, 15:47:39

I wanted to introduce myself to this community. I look forward to sharing ideas with other posters.
Best regards,
Richard link
RichardBlank
Wood
Wood

Re: Greetings from Costa Rica

Unread postby RichardBlank » Tue 04 Dec 2007, 16:42:58

Thanks for your reply pstarr.

Don't worry, I will not call you during dinner.

Richard
RichardBlank
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Heineken » Tue 04 Dec 2007, 17:01:17

Howdy, Richard.

You aren't giving us much to go on. What can you tell us about yourself and your interest in us?

Is that you in the avatar? Or a Costa Rican businessman? (Or both at the same time?)
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Narz » Tue 04 Dec 2007, 17:04:49

Welcome. What's your story? Why are you interested in peak oil? What does it mean to you?
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby RichardBlank » Tue 04 Dec 2007, 18:32:04

I felt that the topic was interesting and I wanted to learn more about oil consumption, different people who provide it, where it comes from and the oil business.

I have been approached by several energy campaigns and I needed to learn more.

Finally, I wanted to know what peak oil had to do with the oil industry.

With the price of oil today, it is a very important subject.

Richard
RichardBlank
Wood
Wood

Unread postby steam_cannon » Wed 05 Dec 2007, 04:47:42

RichardBlank wrote:I have been approached by several energy campaigns and I needed to learn more.
Well, expect criticism regarding who you are, people here pick apart everything and everyone. But if you are sincere, if you can read, if you can listen and if you can ask specific questions; then you can be sure people will answer all of your questions.

The answers people will give you may be very serious. World grain stocks are continuing to get drawn down which is sparking very legitimate government fears that grain and food prices will be much higher in the near future. The grain stock problems have already causes several riots in Mexico, India and China. World oil production seems to have peaked as has light sweet crude production; and no technology can keep up with the exponential demands of population.

Whatever you have questions about, there are probably people on this site who know about it. We talk about some very deep issues here and a wide variety of topics. People here can tell you about how the dollar trade affects oil prices, oil depletion, and many other things.

Welcome to the club. :-D
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby syrac818 » Wed 05 Dec 2007, 04:57:55

Hi Richard,

I was in Costa Rica for two months this summer - loved it. I hope to return soon.

About this forum, it's a nuthouse. Seriously, it's not a stable group. A large people oddly excited about apocalyptic scenarios, and if it's not peak oil they'll find another reason to discuss the impending painful doom upon us. Or something like that.

There are exceptions to this, and there are some very intelligent people, but it's important to understand the vibe of this place when reading the forum.
syrac818
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion