Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The coming Civil War Pt. 4

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

The coming Civil War Pt. 4

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 14 Jun 2021, 11:50:02

evilgenius wrote:I am concerned about reparations. I think they are a wound that cannot be healed.

First of all, the account was settled by the spilling of the blood of all those Union soldiers who gave their lives to liberate the slaves. It is misplaced to ask for anything beyond that, when such a price has already been given.

Furthermore, it places the nation in the place of a hostage. Who knows if this one payment would ever be enough?

I have to disagree with this, although your outlining of the issues is good.

I think the Civil War was about preserving a Union. It failed because it was never carried through after the dismantling of their armies.

Reparations is a termination of the case. No reparations, no termination.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: The coming Civil War Pt. 4

Unread postby aadbrd » Mon 14 Jun 2021, 17:45:55

Reparations is a "sins of the fathers" situation. It's inherently unfair.

Critical race theory is wrong-headed in much the same way. You're deemed guilty of original-sin by virtue of being born white. You're also classified as a victim by being born black. Nothing is handled case-by-case anymore. All of this cultural engineering is guilt-based, not justice-based. Same deal with intersectional feminism. It's the victim/victimizer mentality which is ultimately inspired by Marxism.

Approaching social justice from that vantage point only emboldens the right. I think there's a complete lack of awareness of this. Both sides are committed to merely doubling-down through their own sense of moral superiority.
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 14 Jun 2021, 17:59:30

Yes, I agree with that analysis.

It seems “we” have competing desires for both harmony and security.

IMHO there is an awful lot going on with the human species we generally are not aware of. I have some ideas but not a lot of places to bounce them around.

No matter, we are in for interesting times.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Tue 15 Jun 2021, 06:56:26

jedrider wrote:
evilgenius wrote:I am concerned about reparations. I think they are a wound that cannot be healed.

First of all, the account was settled by the spilling of the blood of all those Union soldiers who gave their lives to liberate the slaves. It is misplaced to ask for anything beyond that, when such a price has already been given.

Furthermore, it places the nation in the place of a hostage. Who knows if this one payment would ever be enough?

I have to disagree with this, although your outlining of the issues is good.

I think the Civil War was about preserving a Union. It failed because it was never carried through after the dismantling of their armies.

Reparations is a termination of the case. No reparations, no termination.

You are right that Grant was prevented from finishing reconstruction. The thing is, not completing reconstruction is the thing which has given us all of these loose ends. The loose ends are the things the country actually owes for. Those were almost all things done deliberately, in the name of the people.

They are crimes of robbing certain people and groups of not only the obvious opportunities, but the ones we forget about too, like education. They amount to a lot. Those crimes weren't only racial. The establishment treated workers the same way.

It's almost like the fear of sharing has bottlenecked America's promise since the inception. I don't know if it is that fear, or something else. In the rush to include how self-made we want ourselves to be, we may have made some mistakes judging those who obviously weren't. But that just says how reliant we all are upon each other. Being reliant may be too much of a slap in the face to those who don't want to be.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aadbrd » Tue 15 Jun 2021, 10:30:32

The older I get the more I realize that you can't legislate values, certainly not in a democratic system. In other words, government can't "solve" racism anymore than it can solve alcoholism (i.e. prohibition). This problem is even more severe in countries upon which the democratic experiment is weak or failing (Afghanistan and Iraq). I think it's comforting to blame the ills of society on government but all societal ills arise out of our own human frailties.
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 15 Jun 2021, 12:37:31

I have been just starting to read about “inTRAspecies competition” and the concept of “proactive vs reactive violence.”

Humanity has a long history of violent racism.

I am pondering this realization. Humans, modern humans as in you and I, interbred successfully with Neanderthals and possibly Davidians (sp?). Interbreeding means we were of one species, but different breeds. Like the difference between hounds and poodles.

That we exterminated neanderthals and others then becomes a historic act of genocide. Not that there are not other more recent examples.

This intraspecies utilized proactive violence to suppress and eradicate differing BREEDS of humans. It is only in the past few decades that such behavior has become culturally unacceptable, yet it still exists. The Hutu vs Tutsi battles being just one prominent such event.

As we evolve the differentiation between breeds becomes more and more refined. What is the real difference between a Walker bound and an American Fox Hound?

Is this a valid lens to look at the social and cultural splits we see in the USA and elsewhere? Is our species genetically biased to identify differences and eliminate them?

There are also countervening traits where humans have the ability to congregate and cooperate broadly. These traits counter balance the others. It makes a complicated when both trends and bias are present. We ebb and flow between “purity” and “cooperation”. I this ability to swing from one end of the spectrum tk the other is itself a survival skill; we can adapt either strategy as needed.

What is going in now is that the herd is not settled in any one strategy, and this the turmoil.

Rough thoughts, much refinement needed.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 16 Jun 2021, 10:15:47

Racist woman assaults Black mother with a pepper shaker in bizarre Brooklyn pizzeria incident
https://www.rawstory.com/woman-assaults-black-mom-and-her-kids-with-pepper-and-calls-them-the-n-word/

A large component of this 'civil war/racism' surge is just plain old mental instability IMO, especially given the age profile of these Trumpies. I suspect that they're all Trumpies because they fit the pattern. Trump was quite astute at working the fear and revenge component of a person's psyche, one of those natural gifts that don't necessarily imply intelligence, IMO.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 16 Jun 2021, 12:20:54

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 16 Jun 2021, 12:34:40

Newfie wrote:Try reading this, ALL of it.

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the-ps ... -the-white

Why? Why would I even WANT to read that? Why?

Please deconstruct. All my BULLSHIT sensors just go right off, so please deconstruct the essence of that 'must read' blog. :-D
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 16 Jun 2021, 18:02:50

Yup, you are correct, do not read it. :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 16 Jun 2021, 19:46:24

'The Psychopathic Problem of the White Mind'

It’s interesting that you say that because I’ve been interviewing clinicians for this series who are opposed to social justice ideology in medicine and who see the need for progress but who don't like what’s going on. And nobody will put their name on anything. A lot of people talk about how cancel culture is stifling discourse and people are afraid of consequences, so it’s interesting to me that we’re talking about two different groups of people and these people who aren’t woke are afraid and you’re saying that the people who are woke are afraid, too. What does that tell you about the moment that we’re living in right now?

OK. So I just had to speed read through it. :-D

So, basically, these people are describing their EXPERIENCES, or, maybe, HOW they experience their social milieu.

I want to say big deal and that it is crazy out there and many of us are fortunate NOT to be out there.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: The coming Civil War Pt. 3

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 16 Jun 2021, 22:02:17

And you analysis of this part???

Here are some of the quotes from the lecture:

This is the cost of talking to white people at all. The cost of your own life, as they suck you dry. There are no good apples out there. White people make my blood boil. (Time stamp: 6:45)
I had fantasies of unloading a revolver into the head of any white person that got in my way, burying their body, and wiping my bloody hands as I walked away relatively guiltless with a bounce in my step. Like I did the world a fucking favor. (Time stamp: 7:17)
White people are out of their minds and they have been for a long time. (Time stamp: 17:06)
We are now in a psychological predicament, because white people feel that we are bullying them when we bring up race. They feel that we should be thanking them for all that they have done for us. They are confused, and so are we. We keep forgetting that directly talking about race is a waste of our breath. We are asking a demented, violent predator who thinks that they are a saint or a superhero, to accept responsibility. It ain’t gonna happen. They have five holes in their brain. It’s like banging your head against a brick wall. It’s just like sort of not a good idea. (Time stamp 17:13)
We need to remember that directly talking about race to white people is useless, because they are at the wrong level of conversation. Addressing racism assumes that white people can see and process what we are talking about. They can’t. That’s why they sound demented. They don’t even know they have a mask on. White people think it’s their actual face. We need to get to know the mask. (Time stamp 17:54)

From a white woman who claims all whites are
“ demented, violent predator” and “White people are out of their minds and they have been for a long time.”

A psychoanalyst (talk therapy!!) who says
“ talking about race is a waste of our breath.” And
“ This is the cost of talking to white people at all. The cost of your own life, as they suck you dry. There are no good apples out there. White people make my blood boil”

And then tries to hide behind a fig leaf of “fantasies” when she says

I had fantasies of unloading a revolver into the head of any white person that got in my way, burying their body, and wiping my bloody hands as I walked away relatively guiltless with a bounce in my step. Like I did the world a fucking favor. (Time stamp: 7:17)“

As a psychoanalyst she SHOULD know that blabbing fantasies is a lot different from having fantasies. That talking to a trained therapist in a professional setting is far different that describing the fantasies from a podium thus giving life to them.

Now here is the question to YOU.

In your posts you have a repetitive trend of saying both sides have difficulties and then slamming the one side and praising the other.

This lady is of your side. Can you see the insanity in her or do you agree with her?

From you above post, where you stepped over the notable quotes above and cherry picked the most innocuous bit of the interview it appears you are at best completely blind to the Lefts extremes, or even support them.

And that is something I am seeing n a few folks; the cultural appropriation of crimes against others. It is like the lady who claimed to he black for decades when she was in fact white. The above woman is white, but talks as if she where “a person of color.”
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 01:41:56

And racists who stormed the capitol. Wow, so one race TALKS about it and another race ACTS it. Profound, Newfie.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 07:46:19

1: I was not making an equivalence between the capitol riot and this speaker.
2: I am not excusing the Right for their significant faults. Each side needs to stand on their own.
3: If there is an equivalence it is more between Kings “Dream” speech where he used a fantasy to mobilize a movement. The pen is mightier than the sword.

However you once again side step the elephant turd in room.

My take away is that you support this lady’s overt racist speech and attitudes. At least she has the guts to say clearly what she believes, she is honest.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 14:29:03

Lawyer files defamation suit against local official after she said he exhibited 'white fragility'
https://www.rawstory.com/connecticut-lawyer-files-defamation-suit-against-local-official-after-she-said-he-exhibited-white-fragility/

Got to laugh a bit about all this stupidity going around. I'm sure Ibon is laughing at this if he's still reading this board. Miss his reasoned responses even if he gets a little emphatic at times (sad face icon, where are you?)
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 15:20:44

jedrider wrote:'The Psychopathic Problem of the White Mind'

It’s interesting that you say that because I’ve been interviewing clinicians for this series who are opposed to social justice ideology in medicine and who see the need for progress but who don't like what’s going on. And nobody will put their name on anything. A lot of people talk about how cancel culture is stifling discourse and people are afraid of consequences, so it’s interesting to me that we’re talking about two different groups of people and these people who aren’t woke are afraid and you’re saying that the people who are woke are afraid, too. What does that tell you about the moment that we’re living in right now?

OK. So I just had to speed read through it. :-D

So, basically, these people are describing their EXPERIENCES, or, maybe, HOW they experience their social milieu.

I want to say big deal and that it is crazy out there and many of us are fortunate NOT to be out there.

That's the same kind of thinking as Tesla fanbois claiming Teslas have great quality because THEY claim THEIR Tesla had no problems. As if anecdotal claims on the internet trump, say, JD Powers AND Consumer Reports with large surveys saying Tesla has serious problems, statistically, with build quality.

Whether it's for lack of teaching or lack of paying attention (and lack of enforcement disciplinary rules to let that happen), our public school system must be horrendous in recent decades.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 15:27:19

Whether it's for lack of teaching or lack of paying attention (and lack of enforcement disciplinary rules to let that happen), our public school system must be horrendous in recent decades.

Let what happen? Seems you had a knee jerk reaction. I wouldn't blame this on schooling though, as we all know (or should know) that this craziness has deep roots, irrespective of what they're teaching in our schools, public or private.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 15:37:11

An interesting article on the subject of education.

Today it would be more accurate to say that we have two systems of public education, not one. The first of them is based principally, though not entirely, in the suburbs of this country and [in] some of the wealthier urban jurisdictions and districts. That is a public school system that could be better and should be better. In many respects it is mediocre, particularly when compared to our international peers in the advanced industrial nations. But it is not failing its students.

The second system of public education, which is based principally in poorer urban and rural areas, is indeed in crisis. Too many of the students in those schools are dropping out well before high school graduation. Too many are receiving high school diplomas that do not certify academic confidence in basic subjects. Too many are being left unprepared for the world of work. Too many are being left unprepared to go on to higher education and advanced technical training. Those schools are indeed in crisis and they require emergency treatment....

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontlin ... risis.html

This is a part if why we have so much civil strife. We have created a bifurcated society. And the fix is very, very difficult.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 15:40:03

this craziness has deep roots

Which “crazieness” is this?

Who and what exactly are you referring to?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 16:13:21

Newfie wrote:
this craziness has deep roots

Which “crazieness” is this?

Who and what exactly are you referring to?

The French Revolution
The Nazi Take-Over of Europe
The 2020 U.S. Capitol Insurrection
2021 U.S.A.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to North America Discussion