Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Clothing & Temperature Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Why are people averse to wearing a sweater?

Unread postby Laughs_Last » Thu 08 Feb 2007, 15:14:49

Let's go to the land of make-believe:

---
What I can't believe is that Reagan wasn't executed for treason, for conspiring with foreign enemies to delay the release of hostages.

[edited to change image hosting link and to don flame-proof suite.]
Last edited by Laughs_Last on Thu 08 Feb 2007, 20:41:27, edited 1 time in total.
Laughs_Last
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tinman » Thu 08 Feb 2007, 18:06:10

chris-h wrote:People on TV are not wearing sweaters !!!
That is why.
Everybody must do as the people on TV :twisted:

What about the cosby show?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~ Thomas A. Edison ~
Tinman
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ClubOfRomeII » Fri 09 Feb 2007, 01:13:49

Laughs_Last wrote:What I can't believe is that Reagan wasn't executed for treason, for conspiring with foreign enemies to delay the release of hostages.

October surprise! Where is Ruppert the Silly when we need him most? oh yeah, he ran away to Venezuela vowing never to come back!

Oh...and except for Ronny being a few orders of magnitude better than Jimmy, yeah, he wasn't that great either.
1874, State Geologist of Pennsylvania
"Only enough US oil to keep kerosene lamps burning for 4 more years"

Boy, I bet great-great grandpa was worried!
ClubOfRomeII
Lignite
Lignite

THE Clothing & Temperature Thread

Unread postby ACrisisAwaits » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 11:17:17

I live in San Diego, so we don't really have a "winter" but we do have days when highs are in the mid 50s and lows in the high 30s.
My parents won't let me turn the heat below 68, but my room tends to hover around 62 due to poor insulation and 3 external walls.
I usually wear (cotton) underwear and a (cotton) t-shirt, followed by (80% cotton) thermal underwear and a (80% cotton) thermal shirt, a pair of acrylic socks, followed by a pear of (70% cotton)sweatpants and a (70% cotton) sweatshirt. This is usually very adequete to remain comfortable. Sometimes I wear another collared 100% polyester fleece sweatshirt over my other sweatshirt.
I know I should probably ditch all the cotton, but I've yet to find polyester underwear. Does anyone know of any?
My parents on the other hand, still dress pretty much like they did in India, which might explain they constant complaining that its cold.
ACrisisAwaits
Wood
Wood

Re: How do you dress (indoors) in winter?

Unread postby mekrob » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 11:20:48

Sweatpants and socks with a T-shirt. Sometimes have to put on a hoodie if I go downstairs. We keep it around 60. I tend to stay in my room (upstairs, facing the Sun in the afternoon) with hot tea, so it's very comfortable. I'm in NC with it being in the 50's usually during the past few weeks and next few days.
I want to put out the fires of Hell, and burn down the rewards of Paradise. They block the way to God. I do not want to worship from fear of punishment or for the promise of reward, but simply for the love of God. - Rabia
mekrob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Troyboy1208 » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 11:24:23

Naked!
Troyboy1208
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby anarky321 » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 11:31:05

you can get away with cotton in San Diego, but in a real winter the only real options are WOOL or POLY

i wear all wool underwear, thick wool socks, regular socks over them and mostly wool under-pants and sweater and on top of that some polyester pants and jacket

the point is, in a REAL winter you DONT want to be wearing cotton

my house temp is about 40-45 degrees, and wool is very warm and isnt as bulky as cotton, wearing what i described above, anything above 45 degrees i start sweating i turned off all the radiators in my apartment because it was too hot

one little known fact is that the reason people get sick more in winter is because of the dry heated air in their house, which dries out the protective mucus in your throat and thus allows infection to pass in, especially if your a mouth breather, during the night your throat most likely dries out severely, your much better off dressing warm and using as little heating as possible

one huge advantage of wool is that it doesnt smell unlike poly, once lesson i learned the hard way with my poly facemask
anarky321
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 11:41:53

Pretty much the same way I dress in summer. I live in Florida.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 11:50:16

I wear a layer of silk, then sweats or something and I have poly pullover that I wear a lot. Various blankets we can pull out for lounging on the couch. I have radiator heat so it doesn't dry things out.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Chesire » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 12:01:27

Shorts and a tshirt
Chesire
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ACrisisAwaits » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 12:09:55

anarky321 wrote:one little known fact is that the reason people get sick more in winter is because of the dry heated air in their house, which dries out the protective mucus in your throat and thus allows infection to pass in, especially if your a mouth breather, during the night your throat most likely dries out severely, your much better off dressing warm and using as little heating as possible

Guess that explains the whole "cathing a cold when its cold" myth. You catch a cold in winter because of heating, not because its cold out.
ACrisisAwaits
Wood
Wood

Unread postby mekrob » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 12:58:38

ACrisisAwaits wrote:
anarky321 wrote:one little known fact is that the reason people get sick more in winter is because of the dry heated air in their house, which dries out the protective mucus in your throat and thus allows infection to pass in, especially if your a mouth breather, during the night your throat most likely dries out severely, your much better off dressing warm and using as little heating as possible

Guess that explains the whole "cathing a cold when its cold" myth. You catch a cold in winter because of heating, not because its cold out.

Doesn't it also have to do with the fact that houses are usually dirtier than outside and in the winter, you spend more time inside than say in the spring or summer?
I want to put out the fires of Hell, and burn down the rewards of Paradise. They block the way to God. I do not want to worship from fear of punishment or for the promise of reward, but simply for the love of God. - Rabia
mekrob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby anarky321 » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 13:03:23

yes it does, there are loads of dust that build up in a house when all the windows are closed for weeks
anarky321
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby frankthetank » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 13:49:58

Winter+San Diego=lots of laughs for a guy from Wisconsin. I'd be sleeping naked down there. I dress in layers even inside. I tend to even wear my jacket a lot and always have a winter cap on. It was -12F here last night. My feet will go numb if i don't wear socks, we have really cold floors.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby anarky321 » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 14:17:29

i remember my parents once had the bright idea to spend winter break in north dakota....ill never forget that cold

flat land + extreme cold = extreme windchill ...and i mean extreme
anarky321
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby satjeet » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 14:28:25

i like the naked option which i preferred a couple of years ago but now
right now
i have on

underpants, long johns and overalls

t-shirt, warm-vest, flannel shirt, wool-vest, outer-shirt

and i'm listening to the 3rd act of Tristan

where he dies of his wounds
satjeet
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pops » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 19:32:01

We moved fro a zone 9 to a 5. Though I have spent time in 3.

I have on good poly thermals and jeans, an underwear shirt, thermal, long sleeve undershirt and sweatshirt – oh and some cotton socks and the liners from a pair of muck-lucks.

We just came in from cleaning up down limbs and choring and I was wearing the same. It ain’t terrible here at 4:30 p, sunny, somewhere around 30* but the wind is out of the North (cold) at around 10mph or more so the wind-chill is probably in the teens.

Here in the office it is probably 45*-50* because I have had the door shut - out by the wood stove it is probably a toasty 65*. I’ll shed some stuff when I get out of here!

Some people are funny, in the winter they run around in boxers with the heat cranked up and in summer they wear a bunch of clothes because the t-stat is at 60.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 19:48:27

t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, sweatpants and a knit cap, sometimes a hoodie.
Ludi

Unread postby SpringCreekFarm » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 19:54:36

If I don't have to go outside during the day or if its in the evening I usually dress in shorts, t-shirt and barefoot. I hang out in the basement near the woodstove so it's always toasty at SCF. The rest of the house above ground is average 78 degrees F. all winter except on really cold days like today.

Right now it's -16 degrees C outside with a strong wind. Whatever that is in F. I don't know off hand. But I know it's damn cold because I just came in!!! Inside it's 76 F.
SpringCreekFarm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 10 Feb 2008, 20:01:21

You must have very good insulation and windows!
Ludi

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation & Efficiency