Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE China Thread pt 8 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: China is finished... This is the End of China

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 07 Aug 2020, 21:00:43

Oh, and just because 480 million people aren't about to die from the 3 Gorges dam, doesn't mean that it was necessarily a good idea, or hasn't had its share of problems and then some.

But the issues are things like a tributary causing a mountain split (due to the construction), killing 24 people, have happened (in 2003). 24 is one 20 millionth of the 480 million figure shorty is claiming re imminent death risk -- just for a sense of scale. :roll:

And over a million people were displaced to build the thing. And the thing cost a horrendous amount, etc. And they are having meaningful issues from the flooding this year, the worst in 60 years for the Yangtze basin.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/china ... index.html

Odd how the doom patrol has to go from rational concern and criticism into loony-bin territory, so often.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby evilgenius » Fri 07 Aug 2020, 22:15:34

Narcissists need to be the center of attention. They need your eyes on them. Rationality, for them, is just about relating. Otherwise, their only criteria is about what pleases them.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 08 Aug 2020, 17:30:45

shortonoil wrote:
Oh, and just because 480 million people aren't about to die from the 3 Gorges dam, doesn't mean that it was necessarily a good idea, or hasn't had its share of problems and then some.

Well there it is, Outcast's stupid comment of the day. Savor it folks, he will have a hard time beating that one; but with this idiot there is hope;

Building a dam that could kill 480 million if it failed (history is full of dams that failed) is just plain stupid, and down right evil.

By all means -- PLEASE -- show everyone how I'm wrong by providing an intelligent response to this post. (That means more than 5 year old style empty name calling, which apparently you don't know, given the quality of your posts). :idea:

What part of the fact that your claim that 480 million people could be killed by the dam is COMPLETELY false does your microscopic mind fail to comprehend?

Everything, apparently. :o :lol:

Of course, your posting history makes your response typical. Congrats. :roll:

For starters, there are only 400 million people even IN PROXIMITY to the dam -- upstream AND downstream. (This from lots of credible sources, a couple of which I provided via links, UNLIKE YOU, vs. your apparently made-up figure).

So go ahead -- show us your logic and facts with credible sources, for how you get 480 million people could even be killed IF the dam collapsed in the worst possible way. (Killing off 80 million not even in danger from the dam must be an interesting thing to prove. Martian invasion, perhaps?) :razz:

Prediction: More name calling or bullshit, because as always, that's all you have. Month after month, and year after year.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 08 Aug 2020, 18:08:02

A bunch of belligerent, foul mouth, attack posts have been deleted.

Bochen in particular, clean it up.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby REAL Green » Sun 09 Aug 2020, 06:03:41

Bochen (JuanP) China:

“China's Indo-Pacific Neighbors Stand Up To Its Hegemonic Ambitions”
https://www.theepochtimes.com/chinas-ne ... 47202.html

“After finding itself cornered over the handling of the novel coronavirus, appropriately named the “CCP virus,” China is embracing an offensive mode globally. The Chinese foreign ministry has now instructed its ambassadors to aggressively defend its interests and reputation, even if at the cost of diplomatic niceties. Following what has been named “wolf warrior” diplomacy, these diplomats are now actively pushing the Chinese regime’s agenda by employing the tools of attacks, fake news, propaganda, and conspiracy theories. However, countries around the world, instead of being cowed down, are now standing up to this diplomatic offensive and China’s hegemonic ambitions… Australia, which for years, has had a prosperous trade relationship with China and flourishing people-to-people contact, is now willing to take on the growing brazenness from Beijing… However, as Beijing continues to push the envelope, Jakarta has demonstrated that it’s no longer willing to be a docile witness to the former’s antics… Re-alignment caused by the Chinese aggressiveness is not just limited to its neighbors. In Europe, which has been touted by Beijing as the continent receiving the windfall from China’s ambitious infrastructure connectivity project, the Belt and Road Initiative, the consensus is emerging to counter China. Most recently, a new coalition of legislators from 16 European countries and the European Union was set up called the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China… This push on political issues is matched by a growing squeeze on Chinese technology companies, which for years have had free rein in markets around the world by offering cheaper low-quality alternatives—hardware and software. However, it appears that Beijing’s hegemonic pursuits may have been nipped in the bud. Following India’s ban of more than 50 Chinese apps, the United States is contemplating a similar move. Besides, the United States, the UK, too, has made up its mind, as evident from its decision to exclude Huawei from its 5G network. France, too, is taking steps to restrict Huawei’s role in its telecom network. Even as the global community is united in its response to tackling the mess created by the CCP virus pandemic, Beijing is evidently on a different trip as its actions in Ladakh, the South China Sea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong demonstrate. U.S. officials have already described China as the "most dangerous military rival.” Unless Beijing takes steps to correct its mistakes, dial down its rhetoric, and address the disputes, it’s likely that this growing surge of anti-China sentiment may turn into a tsunami.”
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mousepad » Sun 09 Aug 2020, 10:55:11

REAL Green wrote:Bochen (JuanP) China:

I don't think they are the same person.
I don't think Juan has the sophistication to create the chinese sock Bo Chen complete with
steam page and chinese instructions to his creation.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1352 ... Simulator/

But then again, who knows? The nuttery on this forum knows no limits. :-)
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby shortonoil » Sun 09 Aug 2020, 16:25:21

By all means -- PLEASE -- show everyone how I'm wrong by providing an intelligent response to this post.

We are now expected to accept that this PERSON has the power of foresight, and probably other divinely derived powers. What a bozo. Three Gorges Dam is the nightmare of histories construction projects. It has a very high probability, on a risk/ cost bases, of killing as many people as a nuclear war. It is insanity.

Edited by Newfie: take the hint
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby JuanP » Sat 15 Aug 2020, 15:01:20

"China's largest land port sees more China-Europe freight trains"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1197821.shtml

China's trade with Europe by rail has been growing by double digits for several years in a row now thanks to the Belt and Road Initiative infrastructure projects. This year is no exception. COVID-19 doesn't seem to be slowing the Chinese much at all, particularly not where trade along the BRI is concerned, which keeps growing at double digits in all directions. Trade and development along the BRI infrastructure is already paid for and will continue providing returns and benefits for all involved for the rest of our lives and then some.

"US hegemony pushes the Yuan to go global: expert"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1197807.shtml

International transactions in Yuan increased by more than 24% last year. Those of us who understand exponential growth can see the writing on the wall. The US Dollar's value and convenience continue to decline all over the world. At some point the US Dollar dominated global financial system will break, and the dollar will lose most of its remaining value very, very fast. I've lived through hyperinflation, unlike most Americans, and I know from personal experience. I sold all my US Dollars in the last five years. My life savings are in real things, including a little land, tools, supplies, materials, and Silver and Gold ingots and coins; no stocks, no bonds, no dollars. Paper and electronic assets are not real, and once people stop believing in them, their value is going to collapse.

Some Americans believe that this will never happen because they believe that the USA and US Dollar are exceptional. I wouldn't want to be them when this house of cards collapses.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby REAL Green » Sat 15 Aug 2020, 16:27:40

JuanP wrote:Some Americans believe that this will never happen because they believe that the USA and US Dollar are exceptional. I wouldn't want to be them when this house of cards collapses.

Some people like JuanP think China is exceptional and not just another house of cards. The dollar will likley be here as long as the Yuan.

“The Big Lies: The EU Is Fixed, The Dollar Is Dying, & COVID Will Kill You”
https://tomluongo.me/2020/07/29/big-lie ... -kill-you/
https://www.zerohedge.com/s3/files/inli ... k=xDRXbXfw

“So, there is narrative and there is reality. And reality is that today there is huge demand for the U.S. dollar regardless of what the headlines tell you. That said, that doesn’t mean that demand doesn’t ebb and flow. And now that we’re on the other side of the first wave of this crisis period, marginal dollar hoarding has slacked off…But with China keeping its capital account closed and the European Central Bank holding rates below zero destroying any possibility of anyone diversifying their capital reserves into euros, where else can the big pool of capital go at this point? And just don’t tell me gold. Because while I love gold, own gold, advocate for gold, gold cannot and will not resume a central place in our monetary system until the day the dollar fails.”

“El Erian: Reading The Dollar Doldrums”
https://www.project-syndicate.org/comme ... an-2020-07

“As for the dollar’s role as a reserve currency, I am reminded of a simple principle I learned at university: it is hard to replace something with nothing. At this time, there simply is no other currency that can or will fill the dollar’s shoes. Instead, we will continue to see small pipes being built around the dollar. And, because none of these will be large enough to replace it, the eventual result will be a more fragmented international monetary system. As has happened before, the current consensus views on the dollar will probably end up overstating the long-term implications of short-term movements. Today’s dollar weakness is neither a boon to markets and the US economy nor an augury of the currency’s global downfall. But it is part of a larger, gradual fragmentation of the international economic order. The main factor in that process is the shocking lack of international policy coordination at a time of rising global challenges.”
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 11:17:41

I still don't know that all of the criticism of China in the US is not the result of sour grapes. The prevailing ideology was always that while America farmed out its factory jobs managerial jobs would replace them. I haven't seen proof that America hasn't just failed to follow that path, and, now, wants a mulligan. Education turned out to cost too much. And most schools turned out not to actually care about the level of education they were giving their students. That was ok, for a while, because most students only wanted the piece of paper, not the knowledge. Now, we can't even think our way out of a paper bag.

The situation stinks of the sort of favoritism that America goes in for. Some players in the game get special economic status. Laws are passed that benefit them. The barriers to entry go up. The few feed at the trough. But the ideology said that there would be enough for all of us, we just had to engage in continual life-long learning. Being on a treadmill isn't the same thing as running on the ground, not for the person doing the running. The one takes you nowhere. The other doesn't always feel pretty or nearly so perfect or tested a way of going about doing the work. Both are equal work.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby shortonoil » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 12:30:01

What part of the fact that your claim that 480 million people could be killed by the dam is COMPLETELY false does your microscopic mind fail to comprehend?

What part of your Tweety Bird sized brain is having problems comprehending what takes place when a dam fails. The Three Gorges Dam is 600 feet high, 1.5 miles long, and if it failed a wall of water 300 feet high, moving at 250 mph would wipe out every thing below it. 480 million people live below the dam. There would be nothing, nothing, nothing remaining all the way to Wuhan. Now imagine getting crushed like a fly by a million tons of water. The only thing completely false was the design that was used to put your brain together.
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby asg70 » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 14:20:20

evilgenius wrote:I still don't know that all of the criticism of China in the US is not the result of sour grapes.

Of course it is. It may also reflect the fact that the US has more personal experience with bubbles inflating and bursting and so we see a little of our past selves in China's exuberance. They should know better but they are destined to burn their hands in the fire.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby JuanP » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 14:33:47

asg70 wrote:
evilgenius wrote:I still don't know that all of the criticism of China in the US is not the result of sour grapes.

Of course it is. It may also reflect the fact that the US has more personal experience with bubbles inflating and bursting and so we see a little of our past selves in China's exuberance. They should know better but they are destined to burn their hands in the fire.

The USA has the biggest bubbles in its history today. The whole USA is essentially a bubble bath. It doesn't look like Americans have learnt shit from all those bubbles you mentioned. The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised at all if the American bubble bath turned into a blood bath. Americans are the most mentally unstable and heavily armed population in the world, with a majority of its adult population taking psychoactive drugs to manage their symptoms. If anyone in this world should know better, it is Americans! The fact that they don't doesn't bode well. The Chinese are the oldest uninterrupted human civilization in the planet and one of the four original ancient civilizations; Americans are like little infants learning how to suck a tit compared to the Chinese.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby REAL Green » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 17:02:08

JuanP wrote:The USA has the biggest bubbles in its history today. The whole USA is essentially a bubble bath. It doesn't look like Americans have learnt shit from all those bubbles you mentioned. The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised at all if the American bubble bath turned into a blood bath.

Translation: I hate, hate, hate the USA!!!

JuanP wrote:Americans are the most mentally unstable and heavily armed population in the world, with a majority of its adult population taking psychoactive drugs to manage their symptoms. If anyone in this world should know better, it is Americans!

Says the guy who went off his meds a few years ago and a guy with a Taurus pistol. A real look in the mirror kind of guy is what JuanP is.

JuanP wrote:The Chinese are the oldest uninterrupted human civilization in the planet and one of the four original ancient civilizations; Americans are like little infants learning how to suck a tit compared to the Chinese.

Total BS, being an old civilization means nothing in this globalized world. China is so far removed from its earlier history yet you think that matters. It means nothing. The Chinese are rendering the world inhospitable and you defend them as God's gift to earth. Why don't you move to China if you love the place so much?
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 17:12:34

Trump's America (note, you voted for him) is doing our part to render the planet inhospitable as well.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby REAL Green » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 17:24:16

asg70 wrote:Trump's America (note, you voted for him) is doing our part to render the planet inhospitable as well.

Sure buddy, you have done nothing to help the planet. You are just a wealthy consumer thinking he is green becuase of his EV and he votes Democratic. What a joke!
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 17:30:30

REAL Green wrote:Sure buddy, you have done nothing to help the planet.

In other words, you have no defense for voting Trump so just reach for the ad hom.

I saw a special last night about the electoral college revolt in 2016. Those people were heroes. You voting for Trump because you have some odd axe to grind against the left (despite self-identifying as left) is nothing to be proud of. We've seen what this has done to the world as a result. Clinton, despite her faults, would have been 10x better.

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby REAL Green » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 17:40:21

asg70 wrote:In other words, you have no defense for voting Trump so just reach for the ad hom.

Who are you the judge and jurry of your imaginary world? Defense of what? LMFAO. And ad hom? Where? You are just playing hit man on Sunday. I guess you are bored with nothing to do. The EV is washed and safely in the garage so you need somebody to whip up on. Man you are a piece of work. No wonder the Democratic party is in the gutter!

asg70 wrote:I saw a special last night about the electoral college revolt in 2016. Those people were heroes. You voting for Trump because you have some odd axe to grind against the left (despite self-identifying as left) is nothing to be proud of. We've seen what this has done to the world as a result. Clinton, despite her faults, would have been 10x better.

Don't field a criminal and you will get my vote. This year you are fielding a white collar criminal who is also a rapist. He is also senile but you are still very proud of him. No wonder you are attacking me. You are anxious and troubled by a turd that won't flush.
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 19:58:34

Time to easy up guys.

It’s just an Internet forum.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby REAL Green » Mon 17 Aug 2020, 06:54:32

“Covid-19 and floods spark China food crisis fear”
https://asiatimes.com/2020/08/covid-19- ... isis-fear/

“China’s Commerce Ministry said in June that Brazil, Canada, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Russia and other key producers of wheat, soybean and rice had all cut their exports, including to China, to first replenish their own stocks. China is the world’s largest food importer. Hu Xingdou, an economist with the Beijing Institute of Technology, has questioned in his column, given Beijing’s souring ties with the West and its depleting foreign exchange reserve as a result of a trade war with the United States, how Beijing would be able to buy enough food to feed the 1.3 billion people if domestic production could not be improved…China’s National Food and Strategic Reserves Administration revealed on its Weibo account this week that Anhui turned over 5.92 million tonnes of wheat as of August, 2.22 million tonnes less than the level a year ago, and nationwide, the overall decrease in wheat production was more than 9 million tonnes. Zhou Xuewen, Undersecretary for Emergency Management and chief of the State Flood Control and Drought Relief Office, said in July that “not a single grain was reaped” from about 11.4 million hectares of farmlands in southern China due to the devastating Yangtze flooding…A joint report published by the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources and World Wildlife Fund China in 2018 estimated that the nation’s increasingly affluent urbanites on average wasted almost 100 grams of food per meal when they dined out, of which 11.7% of the food would never be consumed. In 2015, about 18 million tonnes of food was wasted during warehousing, transportation, processing and consumption, enough to feed 30 million people for a year, according to the report.”
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion