PeakOil is You

THE Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Thread Pt. 8

Re: THE Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Thread Pt. 8

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 01 Feb 2024, 15:20:21

Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 03 Feb 2024, 00:30:45

I don't think 350ppm's in the cards anymore. Wonder where those guys went anyway.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 03 Feb 2024, 02:14:41

AgentR11 wrote:I don't think 350ppm's in the cards anymore. Wonder where those guys went anyway.

Oh they'll still be around collecting money, you can bet on that. A heatwave across Australia at the moment, and it's really testing some of my neighbors. I never wasted any time getting involved in climate activism but I was proactive getting a brick house with cooler rooms downstairs and then fitting solar and a swath of A/C units. That was always the response needed from individuals because sure as hell it's the only thing they can influence.

When all the world was licking greta thunberg's bottom I was trimming trees to increase solar hours. You snooze you lose in this brave new world.

She's a hasbeen now, a wasbeen. The TV has moved on.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 03 Feb 2024, 18:58:42

AgentR11 wrote:I don't think 350ppm's in the cards anymore. Wonder where those guys went anyway.

https://350.org/media/

LATEST PRESS RELEASE

January 26, 2024

350.org Responds to White House Pause on Approvals of LNG Exports

Washington, DC – The White House today announced a pause on all liquified natural gas (LNG) export approvals by the US Department of Energy. They are beginning a long-overdue process for incorporating climate and environmental harm into their analysis of these projects. The 17 proposed LNG export projects have seen widespread opposition from frontline and environmental groups, as LNG releases methane, which has nearly an 80 times higher warming capacity than carbon in its first 20 years in the atmosphere.

US oil and gas CEOs have been exporting record amounts of LNG overseas, and the US government has tried to use international energy needs to justify expanding LNG exports. Yet earlier this week, 60 EU lawmakers told Biden that they don’t need more US liquified natural gas and he shouldn’t use them as an excuse to expand exportation. This news comes just one week after the Americas Energy Summit, an LNG convening to promote energy sources backed by the fossil fuel industry, and six weeks after COP28.

Candice Fortin, 350.org US Campaign Manager, responds:

“This is a major step in the right direction, and a huge win for the climate movement and our frontline partners in the Gulf. We trust that when the government reviews the climate and environmental justice harms, they will fully reject all LNG export projects, because anything less would reveal this pause to be nothing more than a strategic and self-serving PR campaign. The harmful effects of fracked gas on health and climate are not in question. Both frontline communities and scientific data have been communicating these clearly for decades, and there is much harm that cannot be undone. But the US government has finally taken a major step towards the side of the people instead of industry profit. That is both historic, and it shouldn’t need to be. We celebrate this move in the direction of justice and look forward to celebrating it growing.”
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 03 Feb 2024, 22:06:53

I browsed them, googling, after writing that, yeah still around. Looks like a real low effort online presence though, and I hadn't seen any news mention of them in a long time. Hansen being over 80 now, I guess there's less energy for such projects.

There is a youtube or few from last year featuring him, so he's still in the mix.

Think I'll doomscroll him for a bit this evening, see what's up (other than temps).

Doesn't appear humanity's going to do anything about the climate anyway; and my hunch has been for a while now that we've done did crossed those yee olde feedbacks; artificially flipping us out of this glacial/interglacial climate and into the planet's real warm phase. Alaskan alligators! :-D
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Tue 06 Feb 2024, 10:34:00

theluckycountry wrote:When all the world was licking greta thunberg's bottom I was trimming trees to increase solar hours. You snooze you lose in this brave new world.

She's a hasbeen now, a wasbeen. The TV has moved on.

Alas, Greta is now just a useful idiot promoting Palestinian terrorism.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 06 Feb 2024, 21:37:45

AgentR11 wrote:
Doesn't appear humanity's going to do anything about the climate anyway; and my hunch has been for a while now that we've done did crossed those yee olde feedbacks; artificially flipping us out of this glacial/interglacial climate and into the planet's real warm phase. Alaskan alligators! :-D

Well I have always believed they do have a plan, it just involves the loss of our private pension funds and our right to drive a car. I read an interesting and valid paper some years back that showed how we could remove all the excess carbon in 5 or so years. Possibly the biggest store of mobile carbon on the planet is in the trees and grasses, the author showed how if we had a mammoth global program of growing fast wood and then burying it a couple of meters under the ground the carbon would be trapped away.

Each part per million of CO2 in the atmosphere represents approximately 2.13 gigatonnes of carbon

A gigaton = one billion metric tons, so we're talking reducing the content by 150 billion tons give or take. Now an average decent sized tree weighs 5 tonnes give or take, at least by my estimates cutting a few gumtrees down. 30 Billion big trees.

How Many Trees on Earth? There are an estimated 3.04 trillion trees on the planet.

We actually release about 60 gigatons each year now but most of it is reabsorbed in the carbon cycle, trees etc and the ocean. These figures are all within the ballpark, so you start cutting down the smaller trees and burying them in situ, replanting fast growers as you go. The old tree can become the nutrient for the new tree if you like. It's quite doable, you just need a billion or so slaves with shovels and handsaws to do the work. We have those, in abundance!

Also you collapse the economy so much of the current inflows of CO2 stops. This is all established science and established economic practice lol. So I don't have any fears the problem is insurmountable, all we need is the masses of the population to be scared enough to allow, facillitate, the implementation of the project. There is also 21.6 pounds of carbon stored in the average person. There's 66 million tonnes of top grade fertilizer right there. Bring out your dead, bring out your dead.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 10 Feb 2024, 21:46:56

January 2024: 422.80 ppm
January 2023: 419.48 ppm

Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 10 Feb 2024, 21:48:27

Week beginning on February 04, 2024: 425.82 ppm
Weekly value from 1 year ago: 420.08 ppm
Weekly value from 10 years ago: 398.18 ppm

February 09: Unavailable
February 08: 425.60 ppm
February 07: 425.60 ppm
February 06: 425.89 ppm
February 05: Unavailable
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 10 Feb 2024, 22:21:10

For anyone who still cares, we now are averaging a 2+ ppmv increase per year as of 2022. When I first looked into detailed records in 1988 we had just for the first time broken the 350 ppmv mark during a calendar year in the instrumental record period starting in the 1950's.

Our annual low week for 2016 was in September at 400.12 ppmv. With our modern 2 ppmv annual increase rate that means in another 30 months we will be a decade past the 400 ppmv mark with an annual high mark around 430 ppmv.

There is ever growing evidence we are passing or already past the climate tipping point that will thaw much of the Arctic permafrost as seen by the growing number of sinks and slides already taking place. This is good for green growing things but also likely to cause a big spike in atmospheric methane which is itself nearing the 2 ppmv level and Methane in about 60 times as effective as a greenhouse gas over a single decade timescale as CO2. IOW Methane is already adding nearly 120 ppmv CO2 equivalent over any single decade pushing us up to an effective 540 ppmv equivalent in 2024 which is the threshold for a 3 C increase based on most climate models. The only thing holding it back has been the enormous thermal inertia of the Greenland Ice Cap and the vast acreage of Permafrost in Canada and Siberia. If we loose the permafrost thermal inertia then temperatures will take a steep upward jump and very very few people are expecting it or planning for it.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 11 Feb 2024, 00:03:01

It all has such a feeling of inevitability to it. Sad, but, it is what it is.

Politically grappling with accepting it and planning for it also seems impossibly stubborn.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Sun 11 Feb 2024, 19:57:22

Tanada wrote:There is ever growing evidence we are passing or already past the climate tipping point that will thaw much of the Arctic permafrost as seen by the growing number of sinks and slides already taking place. This is good for green growing things but also likely to cause a big spike in atmospheric methane which is itself nearing the 2 ppmv level and Methane in about 60 times as effective as a greenhouse gas over a single decade timescale as CO2. IOW Methane is already adding nearly 120 ppmv CO2 equivalent over any single decade pushing us up to an effective 540 ppmv equivalent in 2024 which is the threshold for a 3 C increase based on most climate models. The only thing holding it back has been the enormous thermal inertia of the Greenland Ice Cap and the vast acreage of Permafrost in Canada and Siberia. If we loose the permafrost thermal inertia then temperatures will take a steep upward jump and very very few people are expecting it or planning for it.

One of our Earth Science professors who retired recently did much of her research on the most northerly islands in the Arctic - Axel Heiberg and Ellesmere. She was very concerned about climate change as she had personally witnessed significant change over the few decades she had worked up there.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate