Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Cantarell Thread (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Cantarell set to impode (in production)?

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Sat 08 Apr 2006, 08:41:37

825 feet top to bottom; water rising at the rate of 300 feet per year

825/ 300 = 2.75

2 years, 9 months & Goodbye, Cantarell. Yes, or No? Still think it's a good name for a daughter, though. Is "Cantarell" related linguistically to Chantarell, more or less, the French word for mushrooms ?
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby WebHubbleTelescope » Mon 10 Apr 2006, 00:33:59

I don't where you got the 14% number. I am seeing a depletion rate of 6.5% of available reserves across Mexico, presuming Canterell is a big part of this. link

WebHubbleTelescope
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby khebab » Sun 16 Jul 2006, 15:35:08

A new post about Cantarell on TOD:

Potential Impact of Cantarell's Decline on Mexico's Oil Production

Tar Sands

Unread postby mekrob » Sun 16 Jul 2006, 18:06:21

WebHubbleTelescope wrote:I don't where you got the 14% number. I am seeing a depletion rate of 6.5% of available reserves across Mexico, presuming Canterell is a big part of this.

6.5% is for this year. It didn't start to decline until this year I believe (at least fully). When next year comes around (or as the next year passes), you will see the full destruction of Cantarell come to pass. Good find khebab.
mekrob
Expert
Expert

A major Peak Oil story featured in the L. A. Times

Unread postby Zardoz » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 09:23:31

They didn't use the term "Peak Oil", but it's there, between the lines, in the gist of the story:

Will Mexico Soon Be Tapped Out?

The most siginificant thing about this is where the Times ran it. It's the featured story on the front page of the Business section today, and they put a big, ugly pic above it to grab everybody's attention:

A few choice doomer quotes:

Output at Mexico's most important oil field has fallen steeply this year, raising fears that wells there that generate 60% of the country's petroleum are in the throes of a major decline....

..."Cantarell is going to fall a lot, and quickly," said independent consultant Guillermo Cruz Dominguez Vargas, a former executive with Mexico's state-owned oil monopoly, Petroleos Mexicanos, known as Pemex. "I can't imagine the strain on this society if there is nothing to replace it."...

...Mexico City energy analyst David Shields said the swift drop over the first five months of 2006, and conversations with Pemex insiders have convinced him that prospects at Cantarell are worse than officials will admit publicly...

..."It's doing very badly," said Shields, general manager of Energia a Debate, an industry trade publication, and the author of two books on Pemex. "My reading of the situation is that it's dire."

Note the remark about the "strain on society".

Seems we're reaching a turning point in the mainstream media, aren't we? We're seeing more and more of this. Peak Oil is gradually coming to the forefront. By this time next year we may be getting tired of reading about it.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Re: A major Peak Oil story featured in the L. A. Times

Unread postby Cynus » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 09:33:36

Nice find.
A couple of points:
1. If Cantrell is the number 2 field in the world, and it is peaking after going into production in 1976, how much longer can Gwahar last since it was put into production in the 50s?
2. We're going to need more national guard troops on the border.
One of these now am I too, a fugitive from the gods and a wanderer, at the mercy of raging Strife.
--Empedocles

http://apoxonbothyourhouses.blogspot.com
Cynus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby peaker_2005 » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 09:43:31

Cynus wrote:Nice find.
A couple of points:

This is the great thing about Australia. No land borders with ANYBODY, and just about every conceivable barrier to entry you can think of. Deserts, roads that flood in the north, wild seas, the world's largest reef....
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
peaker_2005
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Fergus » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 10:36:01

peaker_2005 wrote:
Cynus wrote:Nice find.
A couple of points:

This is the great thing about Australia. No land borders with ANYBODY, and just about every conceivable barrier to entry you can think of. Deserts, roads that flood in the north, wild seas, the world's largest reef....

And the bad thing about Austrailia. When the sea levels rise by 20-50 feet, how much island will you have left?

Seems no place will be safe from devistation of one sort or another. Pick your poison on how you want to die, flooding, riots, slow starvation, radiation posion, maybe eaten by a pack of city dogs. Oh the choices are endless.
Fergus
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Cynus » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 11:01:47

peaker_2005, I thought that Austalia was having a problem with immigrants taking boats from Indonesia. Was I misinformed?
One of these now am I too, a fugitive from the gods and a wanderer, at the mercy of raging Strife.
--Empedocles

http://apoxonbothyourhouses.blogspot.com
Cynus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby NEOPO » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 11:35:50

TY for that Zardoz as these are the kind of stories I like to wake up to on monday morning with my nicotine and caffeine ;-)

This is quite serious yet many of us were aware of the recent declines and the occassional "insider" story suggesting the worst.

Cantarell hmmmm now for conspiracy theory time.
Ok they want it to appear as if PEMEX is in bad shape so they can:

a: raise the price alittle higher.
b: allow foreign (U.S.) investment into Mexico.
c: create one more reason to "hurry up with that wall!!"
d: give peakers hope?

Fergus - go away now before you turn 100% doomer !! ;-)

How much of AU is above sea level by 20 feet or more?
NEOPO
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mekrob » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 12:26:03

The green and blue indicate where there would be intense flooding, storms, and the like if all of Greenland's ice were to melt.

Essentially though, given enough time, Australia will appear to break in half if ice melting continues in Greenland and the Arctic.

Original link
I want to put out the fires of Hell, and burn down the rewards of Paradise. They block the way to God. I do not want to worship from fear of punishment or for the promise of reward, but simply for the love of God. - Rabia
mekrob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mekrob » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 12:27:37

c: create one more reason to "hurry up with that wall!!"

Wait a sec, the LA Times is pro-wall? I woulda thought their liberal asses would have lawyers fighting the wall. The tone you take seems to me like they are an ultra-conservative group (pro-US investment in Mexico, pro-wall)
I want to put out the fires of Hell, and burn down the rewards of Paradise. They block the way to God. I do not want to worship from fear of punishment or for the promise of reward, but simply for the love of God. - Rabia
mekrob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby green_achers » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 12:45:01

It would appear that Fox has been successful in keeping this bottled up, at least in the mainstream press, just barely long enough for his successor to steal the most recent election.
green_achers
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby tsakach » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 14:37:10

This article is an example of using the peak oil concept as a call to action. It suggests that Mexico is incapable of developing oil resources on their own due to corruption, lack of funding, and skills. The call to action is to open resource development in Mexico to foreign companies and investment, otherwise we will face a barrage of dire consequences.

The article presents a one-sided view of maintaining the status quo through acquistion and development of oil resources by any means possible. It does not mention peak oil concepts such as conservation, powering down and some of the more severe doomer scenerios.

Last year, the LA Times (owned by the Tribune Company) had a major housecleaning, replacing many "liberal" and "controversial" columnists with a lineup of mainstream media dross.
tsakach
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Concerned » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 15:39:00

peaker_2005 wrote:This is the great thing about Australia. No land borders with ANYBODY, and just about every conceivable barrier to entry you can think of. Deserts, roads that flood in the north, wild seas, the world's largest reef....

Except for the 200 million plus in indonesia who are a hop, skip and a jump away in just about any rickety boat. I wonder what would happen if the Indonesian govt. decided to stop cooperating and opened the floodgates on this immigration.

Now here is a scary thought imagine if these "boat people" were armed and we live in a world with not enough energy to properly maintain the military and other surveliance has come to pass.

I guess it would be Tasmania or bust LOL :lol:
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
-Italian Proverb
Concerned
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby truecougarblue » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 16:18:40

tsakach wrote:Last year, the LA Times had a major housecleaning, replacing many "liberal" and "controversial" columnists with a lineup of mainstream media dross.

A person needs to be pretty far out to the left to think of the LA Times as mainstream.

To comment on Cantarell, it certainly seems that momentum is shifting. If I know my mexican politics we can expect the incoming presidential administration to use this as a scapegoat for a renewed transfer of wealth, and Pres. Fox will safely fade away to Switzerland.
truecougarblue
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby rogerhb » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 17:39:11

Concerned wrote:Except for the 200 million plus in indonesia who are a hop, skip and a jump away in just about any rickety boat. I wonder what would happen if the Indonesian govt. decided to stop cooperating and opened the floodgates on this immigration.

I would recommend defending the towns and the south to encourage any invaders to die in the desert.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dub_scratch » Mon 24 Jul 2006, 19:11:29

mekrob wrote:Image

The green and blue indicate where there would be intense flooding, storms, and the like if all of Greenland's ice were to melt.

Great mekrob. It looks like the Aussies are going to get a large algae biodiesel pond, whether they want one or not. :-D
dub_scratch
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jdmartin » Tue 25 Jul 2006, 00:18:26

Fergus wrote:
And the bad thing about Austrailia. When the sea levels rise by 20-50 feet, how much island will you have left?

Seems no place will be safe from devistation of one sort or another. Pick your poison on how you want to die, flooding, riots, slow starvation, radiation posion, maybe eaten by a pack of city dogs. Oh the choices are endless.

I think I'd take the eaten by dogs method...I like dogs :)
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DesertBear2 » Tue 25 Jul 2006, 01:31:29

jdmartin wrote:I think I'd take the eaten by dogs method...I like dogs :)

City dogs gone wild.....I have encountered some of these.

You might change your mind when you understand that doggy packs will instinctively tear into your throat and genitals....after they have brought you down by severing your hamstrings.

Or was I thinking of Ann Coulter?
DesertBear2
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion