Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Cancer Thread (merged)

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 23 Jul 2005, 05:52:51

A study published in the upcoming issue of Cancer magazine related that curcumin, a chemical pigment in turmeric, helped stop the spread of breast cancer tumor cells to the lungs of mice.

Now doctors have launched clinical tests to see if it works on humans, said Bharat Aggarwal of the Department of Experimental Therapeutics at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, who led the study.

Earlier studies suggest that people who eat diets rich in turmeric have lower rates of breast cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer and colon cancer, Aggarwal said.

He noted that many cancers are 10 times rarer on the Indian subcontinent than in the West.

The breakthrough came as no surprise to the owner of an Indian restaurant in downtown Manhattan. Abu Syed told the Daily News: "We already knew that Indian food tastes good. But it is good to hear it can help with cancer, too. It is one more reason to eat plenty of it." :-D

http://www.physorg.com/news5098.html
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Specop_007 » Sat 23 Jul 2005, 06:04:28

This is good news for everyone else.
Me?
I smoke a pack a day waitin for that fated line..."You have 6 months..."
Why?
Cause when ya aint got nothing to live for you aint got no worries about dyin. Without incriminating you guys...Whatchya think i got guns and ammo for? I'm goin out with a...shall we say....*bang*? :twisted:
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 23 Jul 2005, 06:31:43

Cause when ya aint got nothing to live for you aint got no worries about dyin

Thats a very interesting comment and I wonder whether the doomers on this site have the same attitude. . .
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 23 Jul 2005, 06:33:23

Graeme, thanks!!!

Tumeric is already associated with reducing the horrible effects of Alzheimer's disease and ever since I found that out it's been a regular part of this households diet. It also reduces damage from sunburn, cuts, rashes and just about anything that ails you.

Bring on the curry!
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Schweinshaxe » Sat 23 Jul 2005, 21:13:01

I have a friend who used to buy enormous amounts of this stuff for his race horses. He said that it had great anti-inflammatory effects. It reduced the stiffness in the joints or something like that.

I know that it's used in curry. As far as I know it doesn't taste anything. It's only used to colour the food yellow.

Does anyone have any recepies where curcumin is used in its pure form?
Was soll das?
Schweinshaxe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Daculling » Sat 23 Jul 2005, 23:03:27

Graeme wrote:
Cause when ya aint got nothing to live for you aint got no worries about dyin

Thats a very interesting comment and I wonder whether the doomers on this site have the same attitude. . .

Hmm, when I became peak aware I quit smoking but started drinking more. I think Spec might have just started drinking more. :P I'm a doomer and I hope I'm hit by a bus next week by a driver that smokes three packs a day. Anyway, I think this spice is used in Mexican food as well which explains my propensity toware both that and Indain.

/Drunk!!!!
Daculling
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Vexed » Sat 23 Jul 2005, 23:32:11

Fench's Yellow Mustard. Greatest condiment on Earth. I put it on everything. I know. I'm a freak.

Yellow mustard contains an immense amount of Tumeric - that's what makes it yellow.

Tumeric, bought in bulk at the supermarket, is extremely powerful stuff. Someone mentioned that they found it tasteless? Hmmm. Maybe it wasn't fresh?

I enjoy it most added to vegetable stir frys and tuna sandwiches.

But beware: Tumeric stains like nothing you can imagine. I used some in a meal the other night, and for two days, my fingertips were yellow. My wife said I looked like long-time smoker.

:-D
Vexed
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Daculling » Sat 23 Jul 2005, 23:36:36

Vexed wrote:Yellow mustard contains an immense amount of Tumeric - that's what makes it yellow.
:-D

I love yellow mustard on everything... this is starting to all make sense now. Now, how do I get it in beer, them I'm complete. :)
Daculling
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Sat 23 Jul 2005, 23:38:15

Grey Poupon stuff for me.
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Vexed » Sun 24 Jul 2005, 01:58:45

I love yellow mustard on everything... this is starting to all make sense now. Now, how do I get it in beer, them I'm complete.

I think you have hit on something. I think you have a microbrewery waiting to happen. I'd be your best customer!

Grey Poupon stuff for me.

Damn you're sophisticated Specop!!! :-D
Vexed
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Specop_007 » Sun 24 Jul 2005, 02:09:06

Vexed wrote:Damn you're sophisticated Specop!!! :-D

You know it!
I even sometimes heat the ham up on the grill out back behind the dubba wide too for an added touch.

:lol:
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 28 Jul 2005, 01:14:28

Genes linked to spread of breast cancer discovered
LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists have identified genes enabling breast cancer cells to spread to the lungs, a discovery that could improve diagnosis and treatment of the disease.
The set of genes not only reveals where the cancer will spread, but also how virulent it is likely to be. The genes could be potential targets for existing or new breast cancer drugs, according to the researchers.
"We have looked for and found a specific set of genes that some breast cancers utilize to form metastasis to the lungs specifically," Dr Joan Massague, of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, said on Wednesday.
The lungs, with the bones, liver and brain, are the main organs to which breast cancer spreads. For each organ the cancer invades it needs a specific set of genes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050727/sc_ ... MlJVRPUCUl
Last edited by Ferretlover on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 20:47:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge thread.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby MisterJoe » Sun 31 Jul 2005, 14:21:49

Just a little correction,

It is a component of turmeric called "curcumin". You would have to eat a lot of turmeric, which is by the way a spice needed to make curry.

So Curcumin is the cancer fighting agent (and can do a lot more).

You may want to check that link to get all the info,

Webpage Title
MisterJoe
Wood
Wood

Cancer Treatment

Unread postby MD » Fri 26 Aug 2005, 10:03:28

Cancer can be generally defined as uncontrolled growth of cells that serve no function but to consume resource and replicate until the surrounding natural systems are destroyed. In the process of growth, the tumors create a dense network of blood vessels to support the relentless growth and demand for resource, which continues until the surrounding systems finally collapse.

The parallels to our global economic systems are obvious, from the ever widening superhighway systems to the tumorous sprawl around cities.

Our planet currently is suffering from a highly advanced state of cancer, and has been since "civilization" began.

What are the treatment options?

-Chemotherapy attacks the whole system, hoping to kill the weaker cancer cells before the entire system is destroyed.
-Radiation treatments attempt to attack the tumors directly while minimally affecting surrounding tissue.
-Surgery attempts to excise tumors directly.
-Holistic therapy uses the natural systems to fight the growth
-Faith healing uses spiritual intercention or positive thinking to correct system imbalance

What are the parallels to the global system?

-We are essentially performing chemotherapy on ourselves right now. The global system isn't a very healthy form of cancer. The question is whether or not it is healthy enough to survive longer than the patient? The planet will likely survive the long slow decline from cultural self-poisoning, but the recovery period will be quite long.

-Radiation treatment is obvious. Thermonuclear war would certainly knock back the cancer in a big way. After a few years of nuclear winter the planet might heal rather well, at least in certain regions. This certainly is not on many peoples list as the desired treatment.

-Surgery appears to be the desired treatment, but we lack the will to pick up the knife. Cut the transportation networks, bulldoze the sprawl.

-Holistic therapy, build sustainable communities, control population.

-Faith Healing...don't worry be happy!

Second opinions?
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Re: Cancer Treatment

Unread postby Jack » Fri 26 Aug 2005, 10:10:45

I chose radiation therapy. Keep in mind that one can define carefully the area to be treated, and keep it localized.

In the case of peak oil, one is not limited to thermonuclear war. A generous application of Iodine-131 could do wonders for eliminating a pesky infection. 8)
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MD » Fri 26 Aug 2005, 11:54:20

I voted for the holistic approach but I expect a combination of chemo and radiation therapies will be applied.
I wanted to add combination options to the poll choices but was rushed due to an appointment.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 26 Aug 2005, 12:18:25

I chose "holistic" - for both post-peak oil and cancer, it's the only treatment I'll have available to me, the only one I can have any control over.
Ludi

Unread postby PhebaAndThePilgrim » Fri 26 Aug 2005, 12:33:13

I did not post a poll, but I am responding to this question. The truth is that the poll can not be answered.
There must be a different method of attack for every form of cancer.
My Mother died of colon cancer. She was not diagnosed until cancer was in 4th stage, terminal.
Surgery was palliative, not a cure.
Chemotherapy was palliative, not a cure.
There was no cure.
She tried every holistic method know. No cure.
Last year I had cancer of the uterus.
I was cured with aggressive surgery.
Chemotherapy is not very effective with cancer of the uterus.
Radiation therapy is used with this cancer, but since I have Lupus radiation was not an option.
You can't just say that one or another form of treatment can cure "cancer". There are over 140 different types of cancer, and the treatment is different for each one.
Also, cancer presents in different stages. They used to call the stages "Dukes" level. (don't asks me where that title came from)
Now they do a different staging by level and then level inside of a level.
For instance, my cancer was a level 1B, meaning the very lowest level, the stages being 1,2,3,4, and then being a B within the first level, a,b,c, etc. IF my cancer had been, lets say, 1C or 2A, then I would have had to have undergone radiation therapy regardless. I was lucky.
Each stage is treated with a different method. My cancer was estrogen sensitive, and the holistic therapies that were suggested in "natural" healing books actually provoked the cancer. i.e., natural progesterone cream, soy, etc. Come to find out that I am violently allergic to soy.
As a preventative measure, holistic care is awesome. But, as a cure for cancer, I have found it to be not only ineffective, but dangerous.
Who thinks up these questions?
Pheba.
PhebaAndThePilgrim
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MD » Fri 26 Aug 2005, 12:39:49

Cancer is complex, frightening, painful, and not a topic to be taken lightly.
By comapring our global culture to cancer it is not with the intent to make light of any cancer patients treatment or burden. Most of us, myself included have been personally touched by the ravages of cancer either directly or through a loved one.

Peak Oil is also complex, frightening, painful, and not to be taken lightly. The parallels do exist, but of course should not be taken too far.

The poll is meant to reflect the deadly seriousness of the issue, and was not posted with humorous intent.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Next

Return to Medical Issues Forum