Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Cambodia Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

THE Cambodia Thread (merged)

Unread postby grink1tt3n » Sat 28 Oct 2006, 17:01:28

From an article in rigzone: Cambodia Braces for Oil Boom, China May Profit From It
The government has yet to release official data on its oil reserves. But according to a study by the United Nations Development Program and Harvard University, the recoverable reserves in Cambodian offshore blocks are estimated at a very substantial 2 billion barrels of oil and 10 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.
For the 13 million Cambodians, one third of whom live below the poverty line, oil revenues could be a bonanza.
2 billion barrels.. that's enough for 30 days of world consumption at the current rate (80-100 million per day)?
grink1tt3n
Peat
Peat

Re: Cambodia ready to produce 2 billion barrels of oil

Unread postby Zardoz » Sat 28 Oct 2006, 17:50:49

For the 13 million Cambodians, one third of whom live below the poverty line, oil revenues could be a bonanza.

No, it won't. It will be the same old Third World song and dance. All the proceeds will go into the pockets of Hun Sen and his henchmen. The people of Cambodia will get nothing from it.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby joewp » Sat 28 Oct 2006, 21:26:22

Oh they'll get something for it, alright. Environmental degradation, destruction of their way of life and death from the Cambodian military conducting searches for "militants". :x
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 29 Oct 2006, 00:34:39

Yes, I agree. How unfortunate. This is truly sad news for Cambodia.

Soon they will begin a 20 year coke snorting party enriching a few hundred Cambodians. It will be as degrading to the Cambodian culture as Pol Pot was and far more environmentally degrading.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mjdlight » Mon 30 Oct 2006, 12:20:11

Terrible news for the Cambodian people. The oil curse rears its ugly head again.

Good news for us Westerners though. We'll take anything we can get to keep the habit going strong. :)
mjdlight
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dissimulo » Mon 30 Oct 2006, 15:09:10

Given their history, I think we are more likely to see Cambodia produce about 8 million barrels of oil by running the 13 million Cambodians through thermal depolymerization than we are to see 2 billion barrels pumped out of the ground.
With a farewell scream of escaping steam, the boiler bows to the Diesel;
The Iron Horse has run its course and we ride a chromium weasel
-Ogden Nash
dissimulo
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mjdlight » Mon 30 Oct 2006, 16:15:37

dissimulo wrote:Given their history, I think we are more likely to see Cambodia produce about 8 million barrels of oil by running the 13 million Cambodians through thermal depolymerization than we are to see 2 billion barrels pumped out of the ground.

Does it make me a bad person for smiling at this?

Sad, but true.
mjdlight
Peat
Peat

Unread postby joewp » Mon 30 Oct 2006, 20:40:26

mjdlight wrote:
dissimulo wrote:Given their history, I think we are more likely to see Cambodia produce about 8 million barrels of oil by running the 13 million Cambodians through thermal depolymerization than we are to see 2 billion barrels pumped out of the ground.

Sad, but true.

If you're bad for smiling, what am I for snickering? [smilie=evil6.gif]

Joe P.
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Mon 30 Oct 2006, 21:55:44

But according to a study by the United Nations Development Program and Harvard University, the recoverable reserves in Cambodian offshore blocks are estimated at a very substantial 2 billion barrels of oil and 10 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.

Interesting considering that original reports on Chevron's discovery last year were "as much as 200 MMB" and WoodMac only credits them with ~50 MMB of technical reserves.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cobra_Strike » Mon 30 Oct 2006, 22:50:29

joewp wrote:
mjdlight wrote:

Sad, but true.

If you're bad for smiling, what am I for snickering? [smilie=evil6.gif]

Joe P.
I loled.....and now feel really bad about that :(
We stand here, as the light of other days surrounds us.
"Hail the Dead"
Cobra_Strike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby grabby » Tue 31 Oct 2006, 14:50:41

Hey I am ready to produce 80 billion barrels of oil from my very own backyard, aren't you?
This posted information is not permissible to be used
by anyone who has ever met a lawyer
grabby
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: THE Cambodia Thread (merged)

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 25 May 2021, 12:23:17

Cambodia and Singapore to further strengthen trade bonds

Cambodia and Singapore have reaffirmed their commitment to further strengthen their relations and collaboration in all sectors, especially regarding trade. The reaffirmation was made during the visit by newly appointed Singaporean Ambassador to Cambodia Ms. Teo Lay Cheng to Pan Sorasak, Minister of Commerce. Both sides exchanged ideas on how to increase the bilateral and regional trade cooperation.

The Minister briefed his guest on the potential of Cambodian agricultural products such as mango, banana, Pailin longan, Kampot pepper, durian, coconut, dragon fruit and milled rice, and requested the Singaporean side to coordinate with Singaporean companies on the import of Cambodia’s agricultural products and business matchmaking between both countries so as to enhance trade in ASEAN.

Link
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Asia Discussion