Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Bolivia Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Is there enough Lithium in Bolivia?

Unread postby davep » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 13:12:09

rangerone314 wrote:Given that lithium is limited, it seems the hope would be that which I have usually dissed as being an epic fail, hydrogen fuel cells.

If silicon (which is most abundant element in Earth's crust) is used for solar panels, we need not worry about peak silicon.

That power could in turn drive electrolysis of hydrogen. It also seems to me that it should be possible to store solar power using fuel cells of hydrogen for when it is dark.

They're using molten salt as an overnight storage mechanism for that solar tower in Spain. It's relatively low-tech but far more efficient than hydrogen.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 15:22:41

rangerone314 wrote:Given that lithium is limited

One word: recycle.

BTW, lithium is actually dissolved in seawater and springs. It's all over the place. It's just diffuse.
mos6507

Unread postby cephalotus » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 16:45:06

rangerone314 wrote:Given that lithium is limited, it seems the hope would be that which I have usually dissed as being an epic fail, hydrogen fuel cells..

those need platinum, which is really limited in comparison to lithium where we have plenty
cephalotus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eXpat » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 21:18:40

mos6507 wrote:
eXpat wrote:EMERGENCY!!!!! Freedom and Liberty are in peril in Bolivia!!, they need to be liberated!

News flash. Bush is out of office.

So what? It doesn´t matter who is in office, if something is needed and is essential you can count that it will be taken. The needs of Corporations supersedes that of individuals or even governments. It happens all the time.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Thu 12 Feb 2009, 16:28:34

cephalotus wrote:
rangerone314 wrote:Given that lithium is limited, it seems the hope would be that which I have usually dissed as being an epic fail, hydrogen fuel cells..

those need platinum, which is really limited in comparison to lithium where we have plenty

Charming! And platinum is like 2 or 3 times as expensive as gold. It gets better and better.

I begin to believe those that say a die-off is inevitable.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby davep » Thu 12 Feb 2009, 18:35:46

rangerone314 wrote:
cephalotus wrote:

Charming! And platinum is like 2 or 3 times as expensive as gold. It gets better and better.

I begin to believe those that say a die-off is inevitable.

Fine. Ignore the expedient thermal technology and go doomer :roll:
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 12 Feb 2009, 18:45:06

eXpat wrote:So what? It doesn´t matter who is in office, if something is needed and is essential you can count that it will be taken. The needs of Corporations supersedes that of individuals or even governments. It happens all the time.

Wake me when Obama orders the invasion of Bolivia. I'm not counting on it.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 12 Feb 2009, 18:48:38

rangerone314 wrote:Charming! And platinum is like 2 or 3 times as expensive as gold.

Progress is being made on non-platinum fuel cells but I'm not expecting commercialization of such before TSHTF. Same deal with thin film solar and supercaps. I think we will have many game-changer technologies that will have been tragically right on the cusp as things fall apart around us. We're already so far behind where we should be for any of this to really change the final fate of humanity.
mos6507

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 12 Feb 2009, 21:01:39

yes mos i worry you are right and hope you'r not
here is another one although it looks like they may be up and running soon , can they ramp up in time??
BTW there shares are up a bit this week

go to www.asx.com.au code = CNM ( Carnegie Corporation)
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby cephalotus » Sat 14 Feb 2009, 13:12:40

mos6507 wrote:
Progress is being made on non-platinum fuel cells but I'm not expecting commercialization of such before TSHTF. Same deal with thin film solar...

thin film solar cells are available since some years now.

For example there is a 40MW solar power plant near Leipzig (GER) that uses CdTe thin film modules from first solar
cephalotus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby rangerone314 » Sun 15 Feb 2009, 19:40:16

Are there any statistics on how much lithium can be extracted & how fast, and how much is required for a car like a Chevy Volt?

Also how much platinum is needed for fuel cells for a car & how much platinum can be extracted per year?
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Lithium, Bolivia, Future, Futures

Unread postby Schmuto » Fri 17 Apr 2009, 20:02:37

Here's a graph of lithium. The line is the price. The bars are the left Y axis.
Graph (large)

Did you know lithium carbonate, the main raw material from which battery lithium is derived, is not traded openly on futures' markets? Did you know Bolivia has been described as the "next Saudi Arabia"?

Almost every commodity dropped like a stone after summer 08, including Crude and most base metals and grain crops. Isn't it interesting that lithium didn't budge? Anyway, my opinion on this hasn't changed, but rather has been reinforced - there is no future for lithium batteries as car batteries.

If you just extrapolate that you'd need, what, 10 fold the amount of lithium for EVs, just to replace 10% of the fleet, than you currently use for cell phones and such, what happens to price?

What does my laptop battery cost right now? About 110 bucks for the long life. Doom meter really kicking in right now. Too many people. In any event, Bolivia's screwed.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Thu 07 May 2009, 15:41:13, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Converted [img] to [url].
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Lithium, Bolivia, Future, Futures

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 17 Apr 2009, 21:33:43

There is lithium in the US. It hasn't been heavily exploited yet. It hasn't been seen as a strategic commodity before but going forward I'm sure there will be more effort put forward to search for domestic supplies. It's just not as rare as the fearmongerers claim it is. It's even in seawater.
mos6507

Unread postby Mesuge » Sat 18 Apr 2009, 04:32:45

Also don't forget lithium is used in the new thin solar application and general industry, lubrications etc.

But in any case there is always that fall back position of lead sled if you don't need the extra range.. In aerodynamic, lightweight cars it's in fact a decent range.
DOOMerotron: at all-time high [8.3] out of 10..
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Sat 18 Apr 2009, 22:52:00

mos6507 wrote:There is lithium in the US. It hasn't been heavily exploited yet. It hasn't been seen as a strategic commodity before but going forward I'm sure there will be more effort put forward to search for domestic supplies. It's just not as rare as the fearmongerers claim it is. It's even in seawater.

So you're making the Bakken formation argument? I thought you put me on ignore? Are you a Peak Oil fearmonger?

If the stuff wasn't so hard to get, why is price shooting up? Why does my laptop battery cost 100 bucks?
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 19 Apr 2009, 01:03:14

Mesuge wrote:there is always that fall back position of lead sled if you don't need the extra range.. In aerodynamic, lightweight cars it's in fact a decent range.

Still sucky cost per mile when you factor in the sh*tty cycle life.
mos6507

Unread postby yesplease » Wed 22 Apr 2009, 00:40:06

Schmuto wrote:Anyway, my opinion on this hasn't changed, but rather has been reinforced - there is no future for lithium batteries as car batteries.
If you just extrapolate that you'd need, what, 10 fold the amount of lithium for EVs, just to replace 10% of the fleet, than you currently use for cell phones and such, what happens to price?
What does my laptop battery cost right now? About 110 bucks for the long life. Doom meter really kicking in right now. Too many people. In any event, Bolivia's screwed.
Lesse, Lithium Carbonate is at ~.5kg/kWh of battery, and ~$2.5/lb, so ~$2/kg. Most laptop batteries are around .1kWh, so they would require ~$.2 of Lithium. Even if Lithium prices increase by a factor 100, it would only add about 15% to the cost of your battery. In terms of URR, going up by a factor of 100 would open up recovery from ocean water, so I don't think Lithium availability is going to be a problem.

If anything patent squabbles are the biggest obstacle facing the cheapest Lithium based batteries, not that large format NiMH batteries aren't suitable as well, just that they cost ~1.5-2 times more per kWh stored IIRC. Granted, with the new low self discharge NiMH batteries, an increase in Lithium prices could really narrow the gap between the two in terms of cost compared to performance, but only time will tell in terms of what chemistry is the best/cheapest.
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Wed 22 Apr 2009, 04:21:12

yesplease wrote:]Lesse, Lithium Carbonate is at ~.5kg/kWh of battery, and ~$2.5/lb, so ~$2/kg. Most laptop batteries are around .1kWh, so they would require ~$.2 of Lithium. Even if Lithium prices increase by a factor 100, it would only add about 15% to the cost of your battery. In terms of URR, going up by a factor of 100 would open up recovery from ocean water, so I don't think Lithium availability is going to be a problem.

1. Your math and reasoning are both suspect.

2. Lithium Carbonate is not used in Lithium-ion batteries, so the carbonate may be waste product (depends on how they make the Cobalt compound). Lithium - atomic weight of 7. Carbonate is CO3, so atomic weight about 60. Which means that about 10% of the raw material is lithium. Considering contamination and processing losses, you might be looking at a 5% lithium final weight percent. So we take your .2$ estimate, if we trust it, and it becomes 4 bucks. Just for the lithium. If lithium increases in price 100 fold, as you suggest, then the lithium alone would cost 400 dollars.

3. As for URR and "opening up the ocean," you're making the Bakken argument.

You know how it sounds when someone says to you, "there's more oil in the U.S. than in all of the KSA." That's how you sound to me. If we're at 200 dollar oil and your solution is to be fishing Lithium out of the oceans, then we're all good and f----d and the lithium car is the pipe dream I think it is.

4. Li-ion batteries lose about 20% charge capacity per year of life, under normal conditions. That means that the average car battery pack is going to require frequent replacement. It's just not going to happen. The EV fleet is a pipe dream in the same way that oil from shale and fuel cells and ethanol are pipe dreams.

Finally, explain why, after 10 years of making laptops and batteries, my cheezy 2 hour laptop battery costs 100 bucks?
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby yesplease » Wed 22 Apr 2009, 17:26:03

Schmuto wrote:
yesplease wrote:]Lesse, Lithium Carbonate is at ~.5kg/kWh of battery, and ~$2.5/lb, so ~$2/kg. Most laptop batteries are around .1kWh, so they would require ~$.2 of Lithium. Even if Lithium prices increase by a factor 100, it would only add about 15% to the cost of your battery. In terms of URR, going up by a factor of 100 would open up recovery from ocean water, so I don't think Lithium availability is going to be a problem.
1. Your math and reasoning are both suspect.
2. Lithium Carbonate is not used in Lithium-ion batteries, so the carbonate may be waste product (depends on how they make the Cobalt compound). Lithium - atomic weight of 7. Carbonate is CO3, so atomic weight about 60. Which means that about 10% of the raw material is lithium. Considering contamination and processing losses, you might be looking at a 5% lithium final weight percent. So we take your .2$ estimate, if we trust it, and it becomes 4 bucks. Just for the lithium. If lithium increases in price 100 fold, as you suggest, then the lithium alone would cost 400 dollars.

First off, it's isn't my math, since I'm just using the leg-work of a poster in the link in my original post.

Second, the estimate for Lithium Carbonate amount needed for battery is already derived from the Li present in current batteries. From SAFT (via the link in my original post), we require ~.076kg of Lithium per kWh of battery, which, from the atomic weight of Li2CO3 (Not 10% mind you, since there are two Lithiums in that molecule) and it's constituents like you mentioned, is ~.401kg, lets say .5kg, of Li2CO3. Since you were kind enough to provide a graph of the price of Lithium Carbonate, we now know the cost of it for something like a laptop battery is around a quarter.
Schmuto wrote:3. As for URR and "opening up the ocean," you're making the Bakken argument. You know how it sounds when someone says to you, "there's more oil in the U.S. than in all of the KSA." That's how you sound to me. f we're at 200 dollar oil and your solution is to be fishing Lithium out of the oceans, then we're all good and f----d and the lithium car is the pipe dream I think it is.

Or the Silicon argument for that matter. ;) What we're looking at is something that makes up a relatively small percentage of costs in this context, so it's cost and the URR can increase tremendously before we run into practical obstacles in the foreseeable future (only a couple decades mind you). Higher oil prices are exactly what would drive the increase in cost and URR, since it's cheaper to use BEVs are $200/bbl oil than conventional cars, although in terms of production that means we would need to be assured of oil availability dictating $200/bbl as opposed to credit bubbles inflating it's price. If Li cost went too high, then we would probably move on to something else like NiMH batteries, even with their relatively poor cycle life.
Schmuto wrote:4. Li-ion batteries lose about 20% charge capacity per year of life, under normal conditions. That means that the average car battery pack is going to require frequent replacement.
Old sk00l large format batteries may loose that much depending on chemistry, but newer tech, such as LFPs, only looses about 1% per year due to calendar aging and something like 5% per 1000 100% dod cycles. For the average U.S. driver at 15k miles/year with a ~100 mile EV, they'll loose something like 2% of capacity per year.
Schmuto wrote:It's just not going to happen. The EV fleet is a pipe dream in the same way that oil from shale and fuel cells and ethanol are pipe dreams.
Um, we already produce quite a bit of ethanol, but sure, everything is a pipe dream until it happens fer sure, and that includes peak oil, so why are you posting on this site again? ;)
Schmuto wrote:Finally, explain why, after 10 years of making laptops and batteries, my cheezy 2 hour laptop battery costs 100 bucks?
Laptop batteries are an inelastic commodity for most. It's hard for most people to open 'em up and solder in replacement cells when they go bad, and w/o 'em a laptop looses a lot of it's appeal. Essentially, they're bending most people over on 'em because most people aren't able to do anything about it. The batteries only cost 'em about ~25-40 bucks, depending on capacity and what not, and everything on top of that is gravy baby. It's the same reason why a Toyota stealship would charge me $5-10 for an uncommon, but very cheap (I'm guessing about ~10 cents in bulk), o-ring.
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Schmuto » Wed 22 Apr 2009, 19:23:07

yesplease wrote:Second, the estimate for Lithium Carbonate amount needed for battery is already derived from the Li present in current batteries. From SAFT (via the link in my original post), we require ~.076kg of Lithium per kWh of battery, which, from the atomic weight of Li2CO3 (Not 10% mind you, since there are two Lithiums in that molecule) and it's constituents like you mentioned, is ~.401kg, lets say .5kg, of Li2CO3. Since you were kind enough to provide a graph of the price of Lithium Carbonate, we now know the cost of it for something like a laptop battery is around a quarter.

I was wrong about Li - you're right - 2 of em.
Are you saying that you pulled your numbers from a comment in a link on a blog?
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you're unsupported, if that was your basis.

yesplease wrote:What we're looking at is something that makes up a relatively small percentage of costs in this context,

I'd like to agree, but you have failed to provide support.

yesplease wrote:Old sk00l large format batteries may loose that much depending on chemistry, but newer tech, such as LFPs, only looses about 1% per year due to calendar aging and something like 5% per 1000 100% dod cycles. For the average U.S. driver at 15k miles/year with a ~100 mile EV, they'll loose something like 2% of capacity per year.

Dude, once again, you have no support. Wiki says 20% lost per year for Li Ion - you link to what? A 3 page power point on "projected" something or other?

Come on man. Citing to comments sections in blogs and 3rd party prospective battery tech is no way to go through life son.

yesplease wrote:Laptop batteries are an inelastic commodity for most. It's hard for most people to open 'em up and solder in replacement cells when they go bad, and w/o 'em a laptop looses a lot of it's appeal. Essentially, they're bending most people over on 'em because most people aren't able to do anything about it. The batteries only cost 'em about ~25-40 bucks, depending on capacity and what not, and everything on top of that is gravy baby. It's the same reason why a Toyota stealship would charge me $5-10 for an uncommon, but very cheap (I'm guessing about ~10 cents in bulk), o-ring.

Dude, come on. The correct comparison is between, let's say, the official Toyota oil filter and the off-the-shelf one.

It's ridiculous to attempt to argue that the price of batteries are so high because Dell is sticking it to us. It is simple to provide after-market batteries - they're out there. Problem is, they're all very expensive.

Your suggestion that it's a world-wide price-fixing scheme is laughable.

Li Ion batteries cost 100 bucks for my laptop. You haven't explained why that is. You haven't explained why an EV with a battery pack 1,000 times or more larger is going to ever be reasonable in price.

EV technology is DOA until somebody mass produces a car to the specs I mentioned.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to South America Discussion