Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Afghanistan Thread Pt 2 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Indefinite Detention Unconstitutional In Afghanistan

Unread postby mattduke » Sun 23 Sep 2012, 13:37:03

This is causing a big problem between the US occupiers and the local Afghan government. The US wants indefinite detention without trial or charges, which is in violation of the freedom protections guaranteed by the Afghan constitution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/world ... .html?_r=0
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sun 23 Sep 2012, 22:44:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Afghanistan Thread. Poster notified.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Americans Tune Out Afghan War

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 24 Sep 2012, 00:17:47

Roy wrote:
We should also ban fast food, HFCS, and penalize anyone with a BMI over 30 -- and we should force them to remain in 'fat zones' kind of like the non-smokers do the smokers. I don't want their fat asses all around me, stinking with their toxic fat sweat, eating their crap fake food, eating their required toxic prescription meds like candy to offset their lazy/shit lifestyle, and generally making me ill.
Amazing how fast we got from the US invasion of Afghanistan to the rights of American fatasses to be fatasses.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Indefinite Detention Unconstitutional In Afghanistan

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 24 Sep 2012, 00:25:41

mattduke wrote:This is causing a big problem between the US occupiers and the local Afghan government. The US wants indefinite detention without trial or charges, which is in violation of the freedom protections guaranteed by the Afghan constitution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/world ... .html?_r=0
Can't Obama just issue a Presidential Decree (or whatever its called) to suspend their rights under the Genveva Conventions and ship them off to occupied Cuba (AKA GITMO)?
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

The New War for Afghanistan's Untapped Oil

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 10 Jan 2013, 20:04:26

The New War for Afghanistan's Untapped Oil

With the close of 2012, the Pentagon has revealed a disturbing trend in Afghanistan: Taliban attacks remained steady, or in some cases increased, over 2011 levels. I experienced the Taliban surge firsthand this past November, and can offer a cause not cited in the Pentagon's report: oil and gas.

I was there as part of a three week investigation into the growing efforts of both the US and Afghan governments to develop Afghanistan's oil and gas sector. I prepared my itinerary to include what are supposed to be among the safest regions, and was traveling alone with just a local guide and driver, my only "safety-gear" the local clothing and black head covering I wore. As long as I kept my mouth shut, with my dark hair and Middle-European heritage, I regularly passed for a local. I was tracking an oil and gas trail across Western and Northern Afghanistan. But so too, it became increasingly apparent, are the Taliban.

I was to interview Governor Masoumi because his district sits atop fields of natural gas in one of the most energy-rich provinces. As in virtually all of Afghanistan, none of the fields are marked because almost no natural gas or oil operations are taking place. I know the fields are there because I am following a map of Afghanistan's oil and natural gas riches produced by the United States' Government's US Geological Survey (USGS).

My journey has uncovered a largely hidden battle being waged for control of Afghanistan's fossil fuel resources. The Afghan and US governments hope these resources will attract international oil companies and raise badly needed income. The Taliban appear increasingly bent on denying the fruits of the sector to their rivals, be they local, national, or international.

theatlantic
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: The New War for Afghanistan's Untapped Oil

Unread postby RepublicanfromEngland » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 09:56:32

This was one of the primary purposes of this conflict, and also the fact that nineteen American outposts were established outside of that country, according to Richard Heinberg's The Party's over 2003 released book.

There may be more or less.
RepublicanfromEngland
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 12:31:59

The whole idea that Bush and Obama went to war in Afghanistan for oil and natural gas is silly.

Bush invaded Aghanistan in 2001 to push out Al Qaeda and topple the Taliban after the 911 attacks.

Obama escalated the war in Afghanistan in 2009 because he thought Afghanistan was a "good war" and he wanted the war to be bigger there.

Now here we are in 2013 and we've got so much oil and natural gas in the US from frakking that NG prices have collapsed and Obama is claiming we're going to be energy independent in oil and we've got a 100 year long NG supply-----if Obama really believes that then the last thing he would be in favor of is going after more NG and oil in Afghanistan. :roll:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kublikhan » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 18:08:08

Planty I wrote a macro for you to help you out:

Obama is to blame for [Insert Thread Title]. This is just another example of his incompetence. :roll:
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 18:52:14

kublikhan wrote:Obama is to blame for [Insert Thread Title]. This is just another example of his incompetence.

Thats not bad, kubie. I think you might be on to something there. :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Mon 21 Jan 2013, 20:33:33

In the greater scheme of things, Afghanistan doesn't even have much oil or gas.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2009/3070/pdf/FS09-3070.pdf

You would be better off drilling for gas in a random county in Pennsylvania to get the shale gas than what little is in Afghanistan.
SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 22 Jan 2013, 02:06:29

How about minerals?
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Tue 22 Jan 2013, 09:33:10

ralfy wrote:How about minerals?

Now, minerals they got! But we don't appear to be building mineral plants to steal all of them in the final hours before we abandon the place to the tender mercies of the Taliban.
SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Tue 22 Jan 2013, 15:16:00

pstarr wrote:
SamInNebraska wrote:
ralfy wrote:How about minerals?

Now, minerals they got! But we don't appear to be building mineral plants to steal all of them in the final hours before we abandon the place to the tender mercies of the Taliban.
(Your ironic mischaracterization of the Taliban, notwithstanding)

Mischaracterization? You mean they are nice upstanding type folks afterall? Well, I'm guessing you are of the male persuasion?

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/07/08/t ... tan-video/
SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 23 Jan 2013, 02:20:20

SamInNebraska wrote:

Who's "we"? The only "we" I know involved in these wars are the financial elite. The armed forces get their weapons and drug lords the return of opium. Sheeple foot the war costs, Afghan non-combatants get caught in the crossfire, and the new politicians of the region:

"China and Afghanistan sign economic and security deals"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19693005
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 23 Jan 2013, 03:53:43

P, it's either mischaracterization or irony; not both.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby RepublicanfromEngland » Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:07:23

The region is the answer. The Southern Central command setup in 1983 was for the purpose of Somalia all the way up to Afghanistan.
RepublicanfromEngland
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Wed 23 Jan 2013, 22:03:52

ralfy wrote:
SamInNebraska wrote:

Who's "we"? The only "we" I know involved in these wars are the financial elite.

See this guy? He ain't financial elite. He is referred to as "grunt".

SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion