Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Test your energy IQ

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Test your energy IQ

Unread postby kmann » Mon 02 Jul 2007, 11:16:58

Energy IQ Quiz

Here's a short quiz on energy that most US citizens fail. It's intended to clear up some common misconceptions.
kmann
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Test your energy IQ

Unread postby Aimrehtopyh » Mon 02 Jul 2007, 12:03:43

Clearly a test Big Oil wrote specifically to make us look stupid. Look at the below question.

5. Current government policy restricts access to what percentage of potential offshore U.S. oil and natural gas development sites off the coasts of the lower 48 states?
a)25%
b)45%
c)65%
d)85%

It's obviously skewed to make me feel sorry for the Oil company who has been restricted by the Big Bad Government. Nevermind that those restrictions were put in place because the oil companies showed flagrant disregard for public health and indigenous life.

Why is this percentage important? So what if joe blow citizen doesn't know the minutia of the global energy picture? It doesn't take an energy genius to smell a rat.

Perhaps if Big Oil didn't engage in such flagrant misbehavior, political manipulation and secrecy we'd be more inclined to trust them.

In order to avoid being a victim of propaganda you must first learn how to recognize it.
"He who makes no mistakes isn't trying hard enough" Genghis Khan
"Everyone here is bribed not to kill each other." foodnotlawns
Coinflation.com
Aimrehtopyh
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby kmann » Mon 02 Jul 2007, 12:48:34

I suppose the reason that I didn't recognize this as propaganda to allow more offshore drilling is that I don't oppose more offshore drilling.
kmann
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bobcousins » Mon 02 Jul 2007, 14:59:28

Aimrehtopyh wrote:It's obviously skewed to make me feel sorry for the Oil company who has been restricted by the Big Bad Government.

In order to avoid being skewed how should it have been phrased?
It's all downhill from here
bobcousins
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mekrob » Mon 02 Jul 2007, 15:14:18

bobcousins wrote:
Aimrehtopyh wrote:It's obviously skewed to make me feel sorry for the Oil company who has been restricted by the Big Bad Government.

In order to avoid being skewed how should it have been phrased?

What percentage of US offshore oil in the lower 48 states is protected from drilling against the evil oil companies that will wreck havoc upon the coastal landscape, kill your mother and rape your children?

Better?
I want to put out the fires of Hell, and burn down the rewards of Paradise. They block the way to God. I do not want to worship from fear of punishment or for the promise of reward, but simply for the love of God. - Rabia
mekrob
Expert
Expert

Return to Welcome