Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Swarming the Press

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Swarming the Press

Unread postby nballentine » Tue 23 May 2006, 23:33:35

In a facinating article on theoildrum.com, the author speaks about
swarming as a military tactic where the perpetrators act like bees. In
an instant, they all come out of the hive, attack with a force beyond
their numbers, and then quickly disperse.

It is this same technique that the insurgents are using in Iraq.
Although our military is far stronger- in numbers, technology, and
arms- the insurgents are causing us hell because they swarm. "Meet at such-and-such intersection at such-and-such time, swarm, then get the hell out." After the attack, everyone again splits up into their
individual pursuits and individual hives. Though, for an instant, it
seemed like the insurgents were thousands strong due to their
incredible localized force.

If you're stung by a bee, it leaves a chemical residue that signals to
other bees that you are an enemy. Once stung, you are more likely to
be stung. The more stings you endure, the more likely you are to
endure more stings. It is a positive feedback loop. In order to escape
you must get away and either cover the stings or wash them...

In Tallahassee, FL a few of us have been running into a brick wall
trying to get the local press (The Tallahassee Democrat) to publish
articles about peak oil and its implications. After several
submissions, they finally published one letter to the editor on the
subject of global demand outstripping global supply due to geological
contraints and the need for strong local leadership. Although they
gutted the part about "geological limitations" it's a start. What we
lack, is a "hive" of bees with which to swarm. I wonder though...

What if we were to coordinate, via internet, our letter writing,
article submissions, requests for peak oil mention, berating of local
politicians for failure to act, demands for film reviews of The End of
Suburbia, The Oil Crash and book reviews on The Party's Over, The Oil
Crisis, and calls for exploring a lower energy life style... What if
we swarmed local presses? Through post? Through email? Through calls? Through visits? What if we collectively demanded of our local presses (in turn) to give the subject serious consideration in the Sunday papers? What if we berated 100 local presses in the course of this year to publish serious articles describing (not debating) Peak Oil,
it's implications and what we should be doing about it.

Look, our numbers be few, but our might is strong. "The people united, will never be defeated." There is a reason for such words. Their truth lays in the strength of swarming.

Look, do what you will. I'm starting on the Tallahassee Democrat.
Perhaps you'll join me.

Please provide me ([email protected]) with the contact information for your local papers/new services. If you do, I will also contact those news services.

Then Tallahassee Democrat can be reached by the following methods:
phone: (850) 599-2100
address: 277 N. Magnolia Drive Tallahassee, FL 32301
President and Publisher (Patrick Dorsey): [email protected]
Executive Assistant (Jesse McKenzie): [email protected]
Editorial Associate Editor (Bill Berlow): [email protected]
And finally, an online comment/letter/info request form:
http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/se ... RSERVICE03
nballentine
Wood
Wood

Re: Swarming the Press

Unread postby Golgo13 » Wed 24 May 2006, 00:21:46

I've tried telling the world, but the world doesn't want to hear it. Reality shatters their self-manufactured sanctuary of ignorance they call a worldview and forces people to deal with inconvenient facts. So incidentally, they reject it.

I find it's best to prepare in complacent silence and pretend like everything is normal on the surface, having as many contingencies as possible for when TSHTF.
Golgo13
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby azreal60 » Wed 24 May 2006, 02:07:09

His first post and he's already advocating political change and work. Bravo!

So, good idea, great idea really. Problem is, alot of people who believe in peak oil are a bit burnt out I think. They are just so used to people shrugging them off that they gave up trying. I'm not there yet, but I'm alot more subtle about how I do my educating.

So let's see, I have a few local papers around here I could write too. I'll have to get their addresses and go from there. Oh, and our cities free paper. That would be a great one.

Good paper, I think they even had a story on peakoil a while ago. Maybe I should offer to write something up.The Isthmus
Azreal60
azreal60
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby savethehumans » Wed 24 May 2006, 02:26:38

This, from a poster to the OT thread at a forum I frequent:
And you'll probably hate me for saying this, but I still am unsure if there is global warming or not, when I was a teen, it was all about the next ice age was coming? Anyone else rememebr that? And about how the planet has long cycles. so maybe we are warming, but it is part of a natural cycle. This is something I am not qualified to debate, as I don't read much about it, & I also do not want long lists of links to educate myself with either. It just seems, that scientists have opposing views on this matter, & I don't know who is right.

Yes, this is about GW, not PO, but the point is the same: the powers that be, and the powers BEHIND the powers that be, have done a very good job, indeed! They have successfully not only told the sheeple what they WANT to hear, they have put the aura of authority over it.

This poster will not be convinced, no matter what arguments are presented, because they have solidly confused her. She will go on with the problems and hurdles of her day-to-day life (as most of US have to do as well, unfortunately), and hope that it all works itself out somehow. It won't, of course. But the epitaph for the 21st century human race will be: "But they told us they weren't sure!"

Yeah, we can swarm the press. The other side will continue to swarm right back. Even AGREE about PO/GW, but put an optimistic spin on it all. Guess which swarm will win the media over? Yup. The swarm that can let the press insure their readership/watchership remains strong, or even increases!

Don't get me wrong: the warnings should continue to be made. There are some sheeple who may yet see the light. But we've GOT to move on. Build communities and lifeboats and preserve the best of our culture/knowledge. When/if we get to the other side of the coming storm, there needs to be something to build on!

So, yeah, keep working on the media and the "powerful." But there are more important things to be working on now!
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby miraculix » Wed 24 May 2006, 03:12:18

the American public by and in large does not read
the few that still pick up books know about PO already and are split up pretty much down the middle between denial and the deer-in-the-headlights frozen state. Of the latter there is a fraction that is actively attempting change.

I for my part do not need the abuse from peolple that do not read, are clueless about science, and rather cling on to the make believe world of infinite growth.

Do not wait for the politicians to do the leg work for you - aint goin to happen. Bad news are no news for politicians.

Only if we are already in dire straits and the mob is reaching critical mass ready to explode the issue of PO will become political mainstream. By then it is too late and political discourse will be centered around placing blame and a liitle emergency mitigation.

If we will not have any tech breakthroughs by that time we will be toast anyway.

So my suggestion is to keep a low profile - be prepared and relax.
miraculix
Peat
Peat

Unread postby gego » Wed 24 May 2006, 03:32:08

What is this need to tell the world?

What would be the point of upsetting the huge majority of those who will suffer dieoff? Would it not be better to let them live out what remains of their lives as happily as possible without the burden of reality?

Perhaps by being the town crier, you are lessing your chances of your own survival. Widespread understanding of the problem will not solve it; it will not create more oil; it will not change the energy return on ethanol or biodiesel; it will not magically make grains grow without fertilizer; it will not make it possible to collectively do what cannot be done individually.

The appropriate people are figuring it out without the help of the mass media, and those who are not figuring it out are those who nature is selecting appropriately to swim rather than ride on a lifeboat.

I think your energy would be better spent arranging your own life so that you have a competitive survival advantage. Once peak arrives, it will take much less than a lifetime for the tank to run dry, so we are getting very close to something historically monumental.
gego
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Colorado-Valley » Wed 24 May 2006, 03:55:44

I wrote a letter last fall that got printed. I urged the city council to stop subsidizing new subdivision sprawl and roadways and to start thinking about conserving farmland in case oil gets too expensive and we have to start planning to feed ourselves locally.

I got one phone call that said, "good job," and three responding letters saying I was insane because we can just switch to oil shale if the regular stuff gets too expensive.
Colorado-Valley
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

They won't print your letter? Go AROUND them.

Unread postby bart » Wed 24 May 2006, 12:13:46

Do you want to make a change in your local community?

Don't waste too much time on the local papers. Instead, if you've got the guts, set up an Internet site that covers peak oil, global warming, sustainability, etc. for your area.

1. Use a blog, Wikipedia format, or full-fledged website, depending on your abilities and needs. The costs are ridiculously low.

2. Make connection with local groups concerned with the environment, gardening, green business, peak oil, etc. Get them to submit their coming events to a calendar. Link to their websites. Ask them for articles.

3. Criticize the local media. Point out the lack of coverage on the issues you think are important. Criticize the lack of depth and balance in their reporting. (NOTE: if you are reasonable and correct, the reporters will pay attention. They hate to be scooped.)

3. Keep the site LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL. To be effective, tie your global concerns in with the local situation and issues.

4. If you're good at business, you might be able to make such a site pay.
bart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MattSavinar » Wed 24 May 2006, 14:09:54

gego wrote:What is this need to tell the world?

What would be the point of upsetting the huge majority of those who will suffer dieoff? Would it not be better to let them live out what remains of their lives as happily as possible without the burden of reality?

Perhaps by being the town crier, you are lessing your chances of your own survival. Widespread understanding of the problem will not solve it; it will not create more oil; it will not change the energy return on ethanol or biodiesel; it will not magically make grains grow without fertilizer; it will not make it possible to collectively do what cannot be done individually.

The appropriate people are figuring it out without the help of the mass media, and those who are not figuring it out are those who nature is selecting appropriately to swim rather than ride on a lifeboat.

I think your energy would be better spent arranging your own life so that you have a competitive survival advantage. Once peak arrives, it will take much less than a lifetime for the tank to run dry, so we are getting very close to something historically monumental.

What Gego said, more or less.

I half regret having become a prominent "town crier." Were it not for the fact I generate a living from my cyber sandwich board, I would have done as Jay Hanson did which is retire from the being a professional town-crier.

I don't see how doing what I do but doing it and not recieving any payment or even 15 minutes of fame (picture in Fortune) is a good idea from an EROEI perspective.

I think you'd be better off doing one of the following:

1. Use the time you'd spend swarming making money and then investing that in these trends. Then use that money/investments to finance your preparation efforts.

2. Use the time you'd spend swarming to start a business that will benefit from these trends and then hire some young men. That why you reduce the body of unemployed young men that will have a mind to destroy your community if they don't have gainful employment when the shit hits the fan.

3. Focus on your family. Genetically, they're likely to have your back when the shit hits the fan more than anybody else.

Best,

Matt
Last edited by MattSavinar on Wed 24 May 2006, 14:13:17, edited 1 time in total.
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Re: They won't print your letter? Go AROUND them.

Unread postby MattSavinar » Wed 24 May 2006, 14:11:51

bart wrote:Do you want to make a change in your local community?

Don't waste too much time on the local papers. Instead, if you've got the guts, set up an Internet site that covers peak oil, global warming, sustainability, etc. for your area.

1. Use a blog, Wikipedia format, or full-fledged website, depending on your abilities and needs. The costs are ridiculously low.

2. Make connection with local groups concerned with the environment, gardening, green business, peak oil, etc. Get them to submit their coming events to a calendar. Link to their websites. Ask them for articles.

3. Criticize the local media. Point out the lack of coverage on the issues you think are important. Criticize the lack of depth and balance in their reporting. (NOTE: if you are reasonable and correct, the reporters will pay attention. They hate to be scooped.)

3. Keep the site LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL. To be effective, tie your global concerns in with the local situation and issues.

4. If you're good at business, you might be able to make such a site pay.

What Bart said, more or less, if you're really, really intent on "doing something." But keep your head low, as Jay Hanson has advised. If you're successfull, you'll become an automatic target when the shit hits the fan.

Not 1 in 1,000 people here locally have any idea who I am or what I do and I'd just as well keep it that way for the reasons Jay advised.

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby gego » Wed 24 May 2006, 14:22:53

When people become aware of peak oil they become fearful.

Most people do not have the capability of changing their lives sufficiently to give a good chance of surviving the worst case senerio. I think that a good argument exist to support the worst case senerio, and anyone who looks will not easily be able to dismiss it as unreasonable, so there is basis for being fearful of the future.

It is natural to form a circle in times of danger, so I guess this is part of the motivation for the characteristic evangelism of many peak people. However, I think it is misguided behavior. Not only does it lessen your own chance of survival, but it also causes people to look to government to be "saved" ultimately resulting in even more human suffering.

Here is an example of the foolishness that results when fearful people want government to do something (from Jim Sinclair's web page):

"Hillary Clinton is a smart politician. $50 billion of alternative energy research money paid for by big oil plus ethanol use throughout the US to become energy independent. Any expert who is not associated with farming interests will tell you ethanol from corn is not a very effective way to decrease importation of oil. Ethanol from sugar cane is better but still not as good an alternative as many other possibilities. The big farm lobby will be very happy and deliver a lot of votes for Hillary.

The $50 billion will appeal to the little guy as a way to get even with big oil, thus generating even more votes for Hillary. It will also be a big government boondoggle that produces very poor results. No energy independence will result from this and the net effect will be lots of votes for Hillary. The net effect for US voters will be a lot of hopes but no real results.

Score: Hillary 10 - Voters 0"
gego
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bart » Wed 24 May 2006, 15:25:44

Matt, gego,

There are advantages in getting out of one's cave.

People in a functioning community have a much better chance of survival. The time to develop such a community is now, before emergencies arise.

It's probably a good idea to reach out beyond the eco-commune crowd too (this idea from David Holmgren). I'm surprised at how many people are open, if you approach them in the right way. They aren't going to agree with you completely... but that's the nature of working with other people.

Another reason for reaching out -- it's good for one's mental outlook to be around other people. As the armed forces survival books stress: positive mental outlook -> survival.

Best,
Bart
bart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MattSavinar » Wed 24 May 2006, 16:04:36

bart wrote:Matt, gego,

People in a functioning community have a much better chance of survival. The time to develop such a community is now, before emergencies arise.

Best,
Bart

Bart,

This is true, but I live in Santa Rosa, Ca which has 150,000 people. I can bust my hump 10 hours a day trying to "raise awareness" and you know what will happen. A year (or 5) from now I'll have 25-to-50-to-500 people who are already convinced (the choir, as they're called) showing up at my door.

The other 149,500 or so people will be just as delusional and clueless as ever. In the meantime, what will I have to show for all the hours invested? Will I be any better prepared to live in a time of energy descent?

I say screw the community organizing, the writing to your city councilperson, etc. Instead go open a bike shop, a solar co., or learn a skill that will be in demand post-peak. That way, whatever "community" that forms will make sure to keep you well fed when the oil stops a flowing so plentifully.

It makes no sense to be optimistic if your strategy has a guaranteed ROE of "bubkis and some change."

As far as I can tell, the two towns that are the most prepped for peak oil are Sebastopol and Willits. Both have a large % of rich white people. The average home prices are $750,000 and $380,000 and the cost of living is sky high at both places. So the REAL solution is to get rich so you can move in and buy a house where there is a high proportion of people preparing for peak oil.

Writing to my official or holding a town hall meeting where 20 people in a town of 150,000 ain't going to help me do that.

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby gego » Wed 24 May 2006, 16:15:31

It's probably a good idea to reach out beyond the eco-commune crowd too (this idea from David Holmgren). I'm surprised at how many people are open, if you approach them in the right way. They aren't going to agree with you completely... but that's the nature of working with other people.

Another reason for reaching out -- it's good for one's mental outlook to be around other people. As the armed forces survival books stress: positive mental outlook -> survival.

Best,
Bart

I think that having relationships with others for mutual assistance is good. Such relationships exist irrespective of peak oil. In the countryside, neighbors are not strangers and often help one another with chores like getting in hay or firewood, or canning the years harvest from the vegetable garden.

The type of "letter to the editor" campaign goes beyond personal relationships or ecocommune arrangements. I think that the primary motivation is for the psychological comfort of the writer.

I do think that if somehow the evangelist among you got your wish instantly, and tomorrow everyone in the world woke up with a complete understanding of peak oil there would be an effect. One thing would be that certain real estate would become instantly unaffordable for most of you while other real estate would be unsalable, instantly wiping out the equity millions of people have in their homes. There would be runs (and consequential price increases and shortages) on certain items, maybe like bulk grains, canned goods, guns, ammunition, garden tools, draft animals, and any other item that were perceived as necessary in a breakdown situation.

Some businesses would be instantly bankrupt, and the economy would promptly crash, having a ripple effect on everyone. Stock markets would crash, and millions would have retirement plans made worthless.

If people truly understood, then there would not be demands on government to fix the unfixable, but since understanding would be incomplete, there would no doubt be a huge push to develop alternatives. Since there is no know suitable alternative, the "fake" alternatives would be persued, squandering significant remaining energy, and possible fringe solutions would clearly be ignored since government does not fund nonmainstream thinking.

So be careful of your wishes.
gego
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MattSavinar » Wed 24 May 2006, 17:24:43

gego wrote:

Best,
Bart

I think that having relationships with others for mutual assistance is good. Such relationships exist irrespective of peak oil. In the countryside, neighbors are not strangers and often help one another with chores like getting in hay or firewood, or canning the years harvest from the vegetable garden.

The type of "letter to the editor" campaign goes beyond personal relationships or ecocommune arrangements. I think that the primary motivation is for the psychological comfort of the writer.

That and I think people feel they might gain status in their activist circles by being seen as a letter-writing "mover-and-shaker."

But will it effect change? Not really. Look around the world. All HELL is breaking lose over oil and resources. Tons of books, websites, report from the DOE, from the Army, etc. and the best we have is a non-binding, non-funded, "resolution" in San Francisco. This is suppossed to be a sign we're making progress? Meanwhile $2.5 billion is being spent per week on an oil war in Iraq and Ted Koppel is writing pieces in the NY Times saying we should consider hiring mercenaries from Blackwater to lower oil prices.

Who in their right mind would think letter writing/political activism in regards to Peak Oil is having any type of real world ROI?

I do think that if somehow the evangelist among you got your wish instantly, and tomorrow everyone in the world woke up with a complete understanding of peak oil there would be an effect. One thing would be that certain real estate would become instantly unaffordable for most of you while other real estate would be unsalable, instantly wiping out the equity millions of people have in their homes. There would be runs (and consequential price increases and shortages) on certain items, maybe like bulk grains, canned goods, guns, ammunition, garden tools, draft animals, and any other item that were perceived as necessary in a breakdown situation.

Some businesses would be instantly bankrupt, and the economy would promptly crash, having a ripple effect on everyone. Stock markets would crash, and millions would have retirement plans made worthless.

Exactly. And then the worst would come out in most people. Maybe folks like Bart would stay calm and look for ways to implement sustainable ways of living amid the turmoil but the other 99.9% of the American population would act like addicts desperate for a fix. I know I would. And then the demagogues would come with all sorts of less than pleasent plans to get people their fix.

If people truly understood, then there would not be demands on government to fix the unfixable, but since understanding would be incomplete, there would no doubt be a huge push to develop alternatives. Since there is no know suitable alternative, the "fake" alternatives would be persued, squandering significant remaining energy, and possible fringe solutions would clearly be ignored since government does not fund nonmainstream thinking.

So be careful of your wishes.

Wise words. Luckily the overwhelming majority of AMericans are so deep in denial, so medicated with things like NASCAR, prozac, 24/7 infotaintment, etc. that the combined efforts of all of us peak oil town criers ain't going to amount to a hill-of-beans difference to the society.

Wish things were otherwise.

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Return to Welcome