Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Suggestions for "Member Quotes"

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Suggestions for "Member Quotes"

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Sun 01 Feb 2009, 22:32:54

eastbay wrote:
jasonraymondson wrote:Shouldn't it be member quotes, and not member chapters. I would think having to scroll to read something, really takes away from it.

This one of coyotes is perhaps a little long?

There is no perfect solution, including renewable energy. Wind and solar power are a great direction when compared with coal, but they can cause environmental problems of their own - which means they should be approached with all the wisdom and care we did not use with our store of hydrocarbons. There is no way the flows of the natural world can replace all the loss from hydrocarbon depletion and allow us to continue the party - looking for "green" ways to continue an insane consumption level is a contradiction. Our switch to renewable energy sources must be accompanied by a reduction in consumption, and with full regard for all the environmental consequences we can identify, and every effort made to minimize or eliminate them. Or it will all end in sorrow. At this late hour, there is no solution we can find for our gluttony that will not cause more problems for us. Perhaps that's been true for a while now. But it's becoming more apparent all the time, isn't it?

Yes, usually a shorter one is preferred, such as: 'I want my mommy', or, 'I give up' ... something short, crisp, and to-the-point, as we generally offer everyone in the MQ section.

But in this case, which is clearly an exception as everyone here knows, a few more words were used because our dear friend coyote offered something unusually brilliant. And it's very poor taste to edit and hack at something that delicious.

So ... I invite you to ponder up something shorter for the next one. :)

Okay let me think here... a quote. I had one selected before on here, but I don't remember that one...

How about this.
I blame the Israeli government, but I love the jews!!!

no?

Fat people serve as a good source of heat. The oily substance comprising their systems can be burnt to heat a small home for days.

no? a little to visual perhaps?
I was really happy while I bought my new Honda generator yesterday. It seems strange that my happiest consumer moments are when I am buying stuff that prepares me for the collapse of civilization.

a little long?
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Re: Suggestions for

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 17 Feb 2009, 15:56:30

pstarr wrote:Almost without exception all people believe (in both their personal and professional capacities) that growth has positive social and economic value. It is absolutely true that faith in endless growth (in a finite world) is the foundation of all our social, religious, and scientific constructs. It is our reigning paradigm.

That this is completely illogical in the face of planetary declines seems not to have bothered people in the least. Read Collapse by Jared Diamond to see how entire cultures can delude themselves into believing the cause of their problems can also be the solution.
Ludi

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 24 Feb 2009, 19:41:14

Shanny inhttp://www.peakoil.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21934&start=0 pointed out
This also means that the scary halflife model is the best case scenario.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 04 Mar 2009, 16:34:45

Jotapay wrote:Being a Rambo tends to have acutely negative medical consequences.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51351&p=872391#p872391
Ludi

Unread postby coyote » Tue 28 Apr 2009, 22:20:30

Ibon wrote:The past two hundred years we have become masters at moving beyond the petri dish and have become habituated to this to the point that it has become normal. Today we have the most people on the planet who have come to feel entitled to this never ending exponential growth.....just at the point we have run out of sinks. Cultural transformation away from this mindset in the 21st century? You bet.

Ibon
Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive...
coyote
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby MonteQuest » Tue 02 Jun 2009, 19:59:01

seldom-seen wrote:The government has no solutions, no plans, no alternatives, no escape routes, no ideas...except to print money and make happy talk.

http://peakoil.com/economics-finance/th ... 53615.html
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AAA » Tue 02 Jun 2009, 20:00:10

jasonraymondson wrote:
eastbay wrote:Yes, usually a shorter one is preferred, such as: 'I want my mommy', or, 'I give up' ... something short, crisp, and to-the-point, as we generally offer everyone in the MQ section. But in this case, which is clearly an exception as everyone here knows, a few more words were used because our dear friend coyote offered something unusually brilliant. And it's very poor taste to edit and hack at something that delicious. So ... I invite you to ponder up something shorter for the next one. :)

Okay let me think here... a quote. I had one selected before on here, but I don't remember that one... How about this.
I blame the Israeli government, but I love the jews!!!
no?
Fat people serve as a good source of heat. The oily substance comprising their systems can be burnt to heat a small home for days.
no? a little to visual perhaps?
I was really happy while I bought my new Honda generator yesterday. It seems strange that my happiest consumer moments are when I am buying stuff that prepares me for the collapse of civilization.
a little long?
A good example of multiple reasons for taking a break
How can Ludi spend 8-10 hrs/day on the internet and claim to be homesteading???
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Aaron » Wed 09 Sep 2009, 09:53:57

So it's not so much a death of the first world lifestyle we're dealing with as it is a death of the American middle class. So the good life will continue to roll on in the USA, it's just that you may be watching it on TV rather than participating in it.
Skymore http://peakoil.com/post941695.html#p941695
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby IslandCrow » Wed 23 Sep 2009, 11:28:44

I love the "long tail" phrase. I think "long emergency" is not very accurate, no emergency in play at all, nothing frantic. Instead, an image of a 60 yr old with arthritis, slowly waddling his way through 4ft deep mud, for miles.

AgentR quoting Mortal's "long tail"

http://peakoil.com/planning/long-tail-peak-oil-t56023-15.html
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby RikkiTikkiTavi » Tue 13 Oct 2009, 12:45:36

dhymers wrote:I agree we need less people and fast, but that's not realistically going to happen. The only way it IS going to happen is through conflict, what has human nature, history & evolution taught us? Prevailing ideologies prevail through force or numbers, by adapting faster than everything else, waiting out the catastrophe of the moment while everyone else tears themselves apart or withers and dies.

http://peakoil.com/post949382.html#p949382
RikkiTikkiTavi
Wood
Wood

Unread postby TWilliam » Sat 14 Nov 2009, 15:17:39

Classic!

kpeavey wrote:Abiotic oil debunking is a regular thing around here. New members who have not done their homework bring it up as a solution to the worlds problems. Posting a reply uses more energy than will ever be generated by such a thing.

http://peakoil.com/post956893.html#p956893
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Sat 14 Nov 2009, 16:45:16

TWilliam wrote:Classic!
kpeavey wrote:Abiotic oil debunking is a regular thing around here. New members who have not done their homework bring it up as a solution to the worlds problems. Posting a reply uses more energy than will ever be generated by such a thing.
http://peakoil.com/post956893.html#p956893
Totally classic!
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 14 Nov 2009, 17:18:58

The committee reviewed and approved and it's now listed. Nice one!!! :)
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kpeavey » Sat 14 Nov 2009, 18:45:34

Put a keyboard in front of me for a long enough time something intelligible should eventually result.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 23 Nov 2009, 23:12:37

There are at least five excellent Member Quote possibilities from BT's clear and concise remarks in this thread:

http://peakoil.com/current-events/role- ... 65-15.html

Which would we like to post?

How about this morsel??

We are, sadly, proceeding down Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Currently, we are chewing through "Self-Esteem."
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kpeavey » Tue 24 Nov 2009, 01:16:04

go with it
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kpeavey » Sat 16 Jan 2010, 04:22:13

PrestonSturges wrote:As a species, we may survive, but we are way way too stupid to survive as a nation.

Small Business Trends Suggest No Recovery On Horizon
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 19 Feb 2010, 13:45:50

Roy wrote:RESERVES DO NOT EQUAL PRODUCTION

It's like having a bank account with a Billion dollars in it, but being limited to withdrawing $100 per day. Would that make you rich?

I don't think it would.

http://peakoil.com/post980942.html#p980942
Ludi

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 11 Apr 2010, 16:03:14

Loki is the newest Member Quote! Nice one! :)
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome