Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Suggestions for "Member Quotes"

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Suggestions for "Member Quotes"

Unread postby kpeavey » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 12:56:56

mos6507 wrote:Ultimately when oil production drops so severely that demand destruction can no longer keep up with it, then we will begin to see the final act of peak oil collapse. Still being on the plateau as we are in a world that continues to waste tons of oil, I think this whole episode just shows how much buffer there is before the store shelves are empty and zombies take to the streets.

link
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 19:12:42

Shortonoil wrote:

"Like the illusion of Wall Street, with its vast and powerful investment banks, now shuttered, China too is an illusion perpetuated by the Globalists that gave us the 15,000 mile Caesar salad, poisoned cat food and lead based paint on babies' pacifiers. Like the illusion that money would come from thin air to always push housing prices higher, China has spent a generation, pursuing its illusion. Pursuing an unattainable dream, to be like the West, while 6000 years of its carefully shepherded top soil blows into the sea."

link
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby bratticus » Thu 27 Nov 2008, 13:31:21

In six hundred years we've progressed from not knowing the world is round to not knowing oil production follows a bell curve.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 05 Dec 2008, 18:08:20

"It's like the world economy is run by thugs in pin striped suits running scams designed by physicists on lsd. No wonder everyone is confused."

--threadbear

link
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 00:21:32

So I say, step away...examine what you are being spoon fed to believe.

Stepping away does not mean embracing fear and doom. It means embracing structures that are long term sustainable. Learn to grow some of your own food. Learn where your heat and electricity come from. Learn to chop some wood, make your meals from scratch, raise some livestock. Learn who your neighbor is and where your food comes from. Think about how much you depend on that is not sustainable. Then look to ways of developing a more sustainable and non-fossil fuel based life.

A gift to all of us from Thuja... nice, and nicely put. :)
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby threadbear » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 00:28:38

dohboi wrote:"It's like the world economy is run by thugs in pin striped suits running scams designed by physicists on lsd. No wonder everyone is confused."

--threadbear

link

thanks Dohboi. Sweet of you. Now where do I send the check? :lol:
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby CarlosFerreira » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 00:50:43

dohboi wrote:"It's like the world economy is run by thugs in pin striped suits running scams designed by physicists on lsd. No wonder everyone is confused."

--threadbear

link

I second that. Short, witty and, most important, up to point.
Environmental News and Clippings:
http://www.google.co.uk/reader/shared/1 ... 4898696533
Environmental Economics and Systems
http://enviroecon.wordpress.com/
CarlosFerreira
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby HeckuvaJob » Tue 09 Dec 2008, 02:40:45

kpeavey delivers a swift quick to the un-descended testes:
kpeavey wrote:What exactly happens when Roundup flows into the river, mixes with dioxins from the paper mill, then blends with drug and hormone residue from a swimmer's urine, combines with airplane wing deicer, then sits in a bay choked with diesel from an old garbage scow for 6 months under a bright sun?

Save your manhood. Eat Organic.

Find out more:Exposed: The Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Products and What's At Stake for American Power
HeckuvaJob
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Mon 15 Dec 2008, 23:34:27

By Revi:

I think we're having a big sale on inventory before the whole world shop goes out of business.

It's cheap to buy things now, but they aren't ordering anything to replace what's out there on the shelves now.

By next summer a lot of the inventory will be gone.

Then they'll close up shop.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 00:10:16

RSG, it was changed about ONE minute before you posted this... lol. What a coincidence!! 8O This one will just have to wait.
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby joewp » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 00:11:11

perdition79 wrote:The Amish should be left alone. To them, our entire civilization is a speculative bubble set to burst.

From here

I thought this summed up the difference in lifestyles quite nicely.
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Tue 23 Dec 2008, 20:03:55

BigTex took the concept of "dollar collapse" one step further with this gem:

BigTex wrote: ... What I wonder about is the whole concept of the "dollar collapse." You have to kind of shift your perspective a little, but the U.S. is in many ways like a host and every nation with which the U.S. has a trade deficit is a parasite. The parasite lives by taking more from the host than it returns to it. If, however, the parasite ever gets the idea that it can make it without the host, it finds that a finely equipped parasite can make a very poor stand-alone organism.

Why would other nations want the dollar to collapse if the stability of the U.S. economy is what the stability of their own economies depend upon?

Since all currencies trade in relation to one another, if the dollar "collapses" that must mean that there will be other currencies that will survive and one or more of which will become the new world reserve currency. Think of all the other world currencies right now--which one could replace the dollar? Which one would want to? All I see right now is ALL governments racing to devalue their currencies as quickly as possible to counter deflationary forces. The strong Japanese yen is killing Japan because it's making it impossible for them to export anything.

Link: http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic49434.html
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 23 Dec 2008, 21:20:03

From POST

dohboi wrote:But I think this Faustian business is exactly what is driving us toward hell. To be clear, I'm not saying that there should be absolutely no new infrastructure. But it should be approached cautiously and modestly, always with the emphasis on downsizing, conservation and doing without.

It is virtually certain, though, that franticness will prevail.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby cube » Fri 26 Dec 2008, 04:08:16

http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic49489.html
Fiddlerdave wrote:People are NOT giving him 100% of the total blame, its just that 100% of what he did was wrong.
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 30 Dec 2008, 08:01:48

coyote wrote:

"There is no perfect solution, including renewable energy. Wind and solar power are a great direction when compared with coal, but they can cause environmental problems of their own - which means they should be approached with all the wisdom and care we did not use with our store of hydrocarbons. There is no way the flows of the natural world can replace all the loss from hydrocarbon depletion and allow us to continue the party - looking for "green" ways to continue an insane consumption level is a contradiction. Our switch to renewable energy sources must be accompanied by a reduction in consumption, and with full regard for all the environmental consequences we can identify, and every effort made to minimize or eliminate them. Or it will all end in sorrow.

At this late hour, there is no solution we can find for our gluttony that will not cause more problems for us. Perhaps that's been true for a while now. But it's becoming more apparent all the time, isn't it?"

link
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 29 Jan 2009, 13:55:35

Reverse Engineer wrote [ulr=http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic50370-0-asc-15.html]here[/url]

"I do not see any way that the population perks itself up to 9B by 2030. Good grief, you can HEAR the thunder of the Four Horsemen now. Maybe there continues to be an increase here for the next year, but one of the Horsemen is going to take a big chunk out and soon. War? Famine? Pestilence? Swept up by the one on the Pale Horse, whose name is Death? Maybe you don't hear the Thunder, but I do. We hit the top of the curve. Now we are sitting at the Peak, and getting ready for the Giant Slalom down this hill. Its not straight Downhill, plenty of gates to make and we could ski it well, maybe. Or at any time here on the course, we could go right off into oblivion."
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Fri 30 Jan 2009, 11:58:38

Ludi wrote:I agree these people are suffering from a lack of imagination, but it's almost impossible to be imaginative once you've become depressed. I'm hoping everyone is now starting to think about what kind of changes might come upon them in their life situations, and what "proactive" changes they can make. I think, however, most people just go along in their daily lives assuming nothing will change (certainly not for the worse) and so they never even contemplate, let alone take steps, about ways they can direct that change themselves.

Link
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Sun 01 Feb 2009, 20:10:10

Shouldn't it be member quotes, and not member chapters. I would think having to scroll to read something, really takes away from it.

This one of coyotes is perhaps a little long?

There is no perfect solution, including renewable energy. Wind and solar power are a great direction when compared with coal, but they can cause environmental problems of their own - which means they should be approached with all the wisdom and care we did not use with our store of hydrocarbons. There is no way the flows of the natural world can replace all the loss from hydrocarbon depletion and allow us to continue the party - looking for "green" ways to continue an insane consumption level is a contradiction. Our switch to renewable energy sources must be accompanied by a reduction in consumption, and with full regard for all the environmental consequences we can identify, and every effort made to minimize or eliminate them. Or it will all end in sorrow. At this late hour, there is no solution we can find for our gluttony that will not cause more problems for us. Perhaps that's been true for a while now. But it's becoming more apparent all the time, isn't it?
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 01 Feb 2009, 20:39:11

jasonraymondson wrote:Shouldn't it be member quotes, and not member chapters. I would think having to scroll to read something, really takes away from it.

This one of coyotes is perhaps a little long?

There is no perfect solution, including renewable energy. Wind and solar power are a great direction when compared with coal, but they can cause environmental problems of their own - which means they should be approached with all the wisdom and care we did not use with our store of hydrocarbons. There is no way the flows of the natural world can replace all the loss from hydrocarbon depletion and allow us to continue the party - looking for "green" ways to continue an insane consumption level is a contradiction. Our switch to renewable energy sources must be accompanied by a reduction in consumption, and with full regard for all the environmental consequences we can identify, and every effort made to minimize or eliminate them. Or it will all end in sorrow. At this late hour, there is no solution we can find for our gluttony that will not cause more problems for us. Perhaps that's been true for a while now. But it's becoming more apparent all the time, isn't it?

Yes, usually a shorter one is preferred, such as: 'I want my mommy', or, 'I give up' ... something short, crisp, and to-the-point, as we generally offer everyone in the MQ section.

But in this case, which is clearly an exception as everyone here knows, a few more words were used because our dear friend coyote offered something unusually brilliant. And it's very poor taste to edit and hack at something that delicious.

So ... I invite you to ponder up something shorter for the next one. :)
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome