Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 26

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 26

Unread postby Armageddon » Sun 29 Jan 2023, 16:24:10

careinke wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Apparently the stock market crash has been postponed for a while. My year to date figures are up 6.62% and preceding twelve months is up 22.76% but that does include some cash I added to the account during the year. Exxon and Lockheed-Martin are my best bets lately.

Well year to date I'm up 41.07%. Last year I lost around 37%, primarily because I DCA and decided to make a big wash sale in BTC and ETH, so I can offset my gains for this year and next.
Unlike most, I have six other passive income streams and rarely sell my crypto. I'm into crypto for other reasons...

Peace

Do you like XRP?
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 29 Jan 2023, 16:52:19

Armageddon wrote:
careinke wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Apparently the stock market crash has been postponed for a while. My year to date figures are up 6.62% and preceding twelve months is up 22.76% but that does include some cash I added to the account during the year. Exxon and Lockheed-Martin are my best bets lately.

Well year to date I'm up 41.07%. Last year I lost around 37%, primarily because I DCA and decided to make a big wash sale in BTC and ETH, so I can offset my gains for this year and next.
Unlike most, I have six other passive income streams and rarely sell my crypto. I'm into crypto for other reasons...

Peace

Do you like XRP?

Rat poison.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Armageddon » Sun 29 Jan 2023, 18:15:11

vtsnowedin wrote:
Armageddon wrote:
careinke wrote:

Peace

Do you like XRP?

Rat poison.

When they win the SEC case, it will moon like no other.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Mon 30 Jan 2023, 00:54:46

vtsnowedin wrote:
Armageddon wrote:
careinke wrote:

Peace

Do you like XRP?

Rat poison.

Nope, rat poison is the stuff prescribed for you by your doctor, in the mistaken belief it's good for you. This has nothing to do with eating.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Mon 30 Jan 2023, 01:07:30

Armageddon wrote:
careinke wrote:

Peace

Do you like XRP?

I do not own any XRP, but I am certainly rooting for them in their lawsuit against the SEC. Pretty sure they will eventually win, and it will be a boon for all crypto. XRP has a lot of money behind it and they have the SEC on the ropes. The SEC is aware of this and are slow rolling their losing case.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby evilgenius » Thu 02 Feb 2023, 06:31:35

So far, every move by the Fed has been one that I predicted. That said, I don't have any opinion about where things go from here. I just took a look and figured out for myself what I thought was necessary, and assumed the Fed would do that.

Is it stealing to buy low from fearful people who want to sell? I didn't have any problem with it. Sour grapes and a vague moral argument might say that it was, though. But I don't hold so much to rights as much as to right of way. If you want to know what that means, I've posted about it here and there.

This post is about bragging. I spent as much as I could while the market was down. I think we are heading into a great bull market. I think I did right by myself.

If risk is the reason why those who take chances are allowed to keep their profits, I guess I earned it by not agreeing with everyone else about what direction the market was eventually headed. But risk is their reason. Mine is more about individual initiative, and its place in life.

My whole reason for worry is the connectedness in life. We really do need each other. Other people have to win too, sometimes, or it all falls down into some rugged story about the middle ages, when kings and princes were all that mattered. You don't want a gold standard, where regardless of what else goes on, the king is always the winner.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 02 Feb 2023, 20:21:52

evilgenius wrote:Is it stealing to buy low from fearful people who want to sell? I didn't have any problem with it.

Well when you consider the capital gains tax you have to pay when if you ever realize the profits you are actually supporting your country, so no I wouldn't call it stealing. It's interesting when you think about it, the massive increases in the markets are a true cash cow for the government.

I think we are heading into a great bull market. I think I did right by myself.

Certainly, if you can get out with the profits. It's all timing of course, the graveyard is full of people who were wealthy until they were not. The Great Depression wiped out the wealth of whole generations and there was nothing they could do. All assets fell, except for US Bonds and Gold shares.

My whole reason for worry is the connectedness in life. We really do need each other. Other people have to win too, sometimes

Don't worry about it. There is no place in business for emotions, for largess, at least not for the little investors like us. Poorer people typically are much more friendly and accepting than wealthy people anyway so just don't go shooting your mouth off around them and you'll be fine.

We have a heatwave here at the moment and I have half the A/C units running, it doesn't cost anything because I have so much solar but I know half the street has no aircon and the other half will be getting bills they can ill afford at the end of the quarter. When I'm outside and the subject of the temperatures comes up with neighbors I just grizzle along with them and then go back inside where it's nice and cool.

The easiest way to play down your wealth is simply to drive an older car. People are super shallow today and assume anyone driving a new car must be doing really well. Driving a 5 year old one gives the impression you're stretching your budget. New motorcycles are ok because no one has any idea what they are worth anyway and their minds aren't entrained to equate them to you being wealthy.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 02 Feb 2023, 21:30:20

evilgenius wrote:This post is about bragging. I spent as much as I could while the market was down. I think we are heading into a great bull market. I think I did right by myself.

I think you will have to wait through another down turn that shows your balance as a loss for a while but after that you and I should be looking pretty good.
I wish I could time that exactly but that would mean I was better then all of the Wall street brokers.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby evilgenius » Fri 03 Feb 2023, 06:28:45

vtsnowedin wrote:
evilgenius wrote:This post is about bragging. I spent as much as I could while the market was down. I think we are heading into a great bull market. I think I did right by myself.

I think you will have to wait through another down turn that shows your balance as a loss for a while but after that you and I should be looking pretty good.
I wish I could time that exactly but that would mean I was better then all of the Wall street brokers.

Yeah, I'm not into timing. The only thing I do is to buy enough in certain positions that if I do sell some when the market goes up I am not left with zero shares still in the holding.

It is about dealing with uncertainty. Even though I figure I may know what is going to happen I could be wrong. I don't figure you can look at a particular stock that may have gone up and down with some regularity, for instance, and assume you will be able to sell it when it goes up this time. It might not come back down. Selling some allows for covering costs while still keeping to the reasons why you bought in the first place, if your reasons were anything like that.

I tend to invest with a thesis in mind, so I have reasons. You meet people who don't have reasons, seemingly. Maybe someone told them about it, but they aren't all there with research.

Talking about this reminds me of another difference between investing and gambling. You don't have to play every single time when you are investing. When you invest, you really do get to be more like the ancient general Hannibal, who irritated other generals by refusing to come out for a fight until the conditions he fought under were favorable to him. Gambling tries to pull you back into something with far less choice than that, and appeal to your ego about it still being your choice, so you are expected to consider it the same. It isn't the same. That sort of "fair play" is what the other generals expected from Hannibal and didn't get. Hannibal was like an investor who did research.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 04 Feb 2023, 04:46:14

Who would have thought just 30 years ago that a companies share price wouldn't need to depend on profits or price to earning figures. Back in the darkages when the economy drove asset bubbles rather than today where asset bubbles drive the economy.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 04 Feb 2023, 09:49:47

theluckycountry wrote:Who would have thought just 30 years ago that a companies share price wouldn't need to depend on profits or price to earning figures. Back in the darkages when the economy drove asset bubbles rather than today where asset bubbles drive the economy.

Who would have thought of it? Besides all the 90s people buying stocks with( .com) you mean?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 04 Feb 2023, 10:03:46

For some reason I can't find a tab for creating a new post. Might be me or this clunky site. But anyway I though I'd start a thread about the Chinese balloon drifting overhead and what we should do about it. Any thoughts?
https://apnews.com/article/politics-ant ... 6ed5b35ec6
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 04 Feb 2023, 11:41:14

vtsnowedin wrote:For some reason I can't find a tab for creating a new post. Might be me or this clunky site. But anyway I though I'd start a thread about the Chinese balloon drifting overhead and what we should do about it. Any thoughts?
https://apnews.com/article/politics-ant ... 6ed5b35ec6

I just saw a story saying Biden is too afraid of the Chinese to shoot down their illegal spy balloon. 8) HOWEVER, he might shoot it down after it finishes its trip across the country and then heads out across the Atlantic. :roll:

Apparently his Chinese handlers have told Joe Biden to make sure the spy balloon can freely float across the USA to get all the data it can on US ICBM sites and then to allow it lots and lots of time to telemeter it back to China.

SHEESH!!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 05 Feb 2023, 08:55:54

theluckycountry wrote:Who would have thought just 30 years ago that a companies share price wouldn't need to depend on profits or price to earning figures. Back in the darkages when the economy drove asset bubbles rather than today where asset bubbles drive the economy.

I think you are complaining about growth companies. It's good to have a future. That's what they are about. You have to pick with an understanding of uncertainty, though. That can be hard. Even with research, you can go wrong. The lower probability thing does sometimes happen instead of the higher probability thing. I diversify to help me with that.

Otherwise, there are plenty of companies that are delivering good earnings. I own one, Atkore, that reported recently. They beat earnings and went up, then down. I think they are finding a new higher level to occupy.

But you may not like that example, as they have to do with electrical infrastructure. Since you think that EV's will shrink back to mall cop patrol duty or something, you probably don't see the need for much electrical infrastructure buildout. It is happening, though. The best you can hope to be left with may be a sort of where will the next version of the digital divide surface sort of question? Because this isn't the only company related to this sector that has been blowing earnings away for some time now.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 05 Feb 2023, 11:12:32

Stock prices are set by what the group of potential buyers think future profits will be. The buyers use the information before them. For old established companies their recent performance is a pretty good indicator of what they will do in the near future but their chances of doubling or tripling are slim. New startup growth companies on the other hand that have brought new products and innovations out have that potential but often they are not yet making much or any profit as they are spending cash on plant and equipment etc. trying to grow production and sales. Unfortunately a lot of new companies don't last even five years so you can't just buy every new stock that comes out though some people do just that.
Cathy Wood predicted that Tesla would rise to $4000 a share. That is a pretty long shot bet but she might win in the end.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 10 Feb 2023, 06:44:28

evilgenius wrote:Is it stealing to buy low from fearful people who want to sell? I didn't have any problem with it. Sour grapes and a vague moral argument might say that it was, though. But I don't hold so much to rights as much as to right of way. If you want to know what that means, I've posted about it here and there.

That's how markets WORK, though I'm sure there is lots of whining about it, re evil and "unfair" profits (which they love to tax) from the far left.

But it's how stocks, commodities, and all derivatives, indexes, etc. based on those have been priced for hundreds of years, and priced in the modern system with good records since about 1929.

There is lots of evidence of lots of scamming going on re the crypto space, but if one wants to take a risk and be long and hope to score big, that's no more immoral than buying, say, the QQQ in a big tech. bear market, and patiently holding for eventual big gains. (UNLESS you expect government to make you whole if you lose lots of money betting on that).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 10 Feb 2023, 15:28:22

For every stock sale there is a winner and a loser but you can't tell if it is the buyer or the seller until the buyer resells the stock at a later date. The Wall street firms that handle the transactions on the other hand tend to make money both coming and going.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 11 Feb 2023, 12:18:01

Here is a question for the market experts here. At the state of the union Biden railed about Exxon's profits last year and it's and other companies stock buy back programs and proposed the extra tax on Buy backs be raised by a factor of four.
But here is the rub. Those that sell their Exxon shares back to Exxon have to pay capital gains tax on the net profit of the sale. For example suppose a big investor sold back 100,000 shares at the current $118/ share for $11,800,000. Part of that would be the original purchase and the rest gain (or loss) but let's assume the average re seller has made a 100% gain and doubled his money so $59,000,000 in gain. (I'm doing better then that at the moment but just hit it when it was down.) So a big investor is in the top Capital gains tax bracket of 20% so will pay $1.18 million in CGT.
Exxon is proposing to buy back 15 billion worth of stock this year so using the same assumptions as average the buy back will generate 150 million from the current 1% extra tax plus the sellers will pay 1.5 Billion in CGT.
I think that is a pretty "fair share" right there.
Edited to correct a misplaced decimal point.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 11 Feb 2023, 14:23:40

vtsnowedin wrote:...At the state of the union Biden railed about Exxon's profits last year and it's and other companies stock buy back programs and proposed the extra tax on Buy backs be raised by a factor of four.......But here is the rub. Those that sell their Exxon shares back to Exxon have to pay capital gains tax on the net profit of the sale....

Biden was engaging in political demagoguery through much of his speech.

Much of what he said in the State of the Union speech was slanted and misinformation interlaced with nasty little partisan lies.

You can't really expect him to pay much attention to technical details like the impact of the capital gains tax when his goal is to divide the country along partisan lines.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 11 Feb 2023, 15:18:42

Well I would like some member of the press to ask them about the CGT that will be paid on the stock buy backs.It will give KJP another Humahh Humah Humah moment.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance