Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Stacked-up cargo at shipping terminals

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Stacked-up cargo at shipping terminals

Unread postby hope_full » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:16:30

This morning on my way to church, I passed the Norfolk International Terminal, which does a lot of shipping and cargo business. The cranes and toploaders are usually busy, unloading and shuffling their cargo around the port. I'm told it's one of the busier ports in the country.

Today, I saw something I'd never seen before. There was a virtual wall of containers, stacked nine high and who-knows-how-many deep. It's the most containers I've ever seen in my life. Must have been thousands of them on the 100+ acre lot. In the two decades I've lived here, I've never seen such a sight.

What's this about? Why are there so many containers PARKED at the terminals?
hope_full
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Stacked-up cargo at shipping terminals

Unread postby Leanan » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:29:12

I read about that.

Empty Containers Clog South Korea’s Busan Port as Trade Slumps

The article is about Korea, but it's a worldwide problem:

Empty containers, idled dockworkers and laid-up vessels have become a hallmark of ports from Singapore to Rotterdam that six months ago were straining to meet the flow of electronics, toys, cars and equipment. For Busan, surrounded by the world’s five biggest shipyards, the outlook is even bleaker after the glut of vessels caused a record decline in global orders for new ships in January.

Ironically, there's shortage of containers at some ports. The problem is that nobody wants to ship the containers empty. It's too expensive. So they pile up at some ports while there are shortages at others.

It's a result of the slowing of global trade.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 13:41:59

You can make a nice doomstead from cargo containers.

vision-master

Unread postby TWilliam » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 18:15:48

GASMON wrote:I once worked from an office in a container, while new offices were built. Bloody freezing in winter & unbearably hot in summer.

Light-colored, reflective paint on the exterior and insulation inside. A typical stick-frame house shell would be just as uncomfortable without finishing...
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 18:41:21

I saw a story a few months ago about paper going to China to be recycled was stacking up in San Diego because the Chinese didn't need to make boxes to ship stuff back here.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby alokin » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 19:12:20

Trying to convert a container in a house goes around every other time. It's nonsense, at least as permanent solution. If you stack straw bales around, first I don't know what happens to the container being surrounded by soggy straw bales, I assume it'll rust. Second straw bales only insulate in a dry state. They keep only dry if you cover and render them. If you do all this, why the container? The overall costs of a building are 40% for the construction and the rest for bathroom, tiles, floors doors etc.
And it really makes no sense living in a container while mansions are empty.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TWilliam » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 19:27:10

alokin wrote:Trying to convert a container in a house goes around every other time. It's nonsense, at least as permanent solution. If you stack straw bales around, first I don't know what happens to the container being surrounded by soggy straw bales, I assume it'll rust. Second straw bales only insulate in a dry state. They keep only dry if you cover and render them. If you do all this, why the container? The overall costs of a building are 40% for the construction and the rest for bathroom, tiles, floors doors etc.
And it really makes no sense living in a container while mansions are empty.

It's called recycling, or perhaps more accurately, re-purposing in this case. The point is re-using something already produced, rather than processing yet more raw material into a finished product. And while it may not be a 'permanent' solution, neither is a traditional stick-frame and glue-board house.

As far as moisture issues, those can be addressed in any number of ways. Besides, traditional construction has to deal with moisture just as well. Go look at a stick-frame that's been uninhabited and without climate control operating for a couple years in a humid climate...
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TWilliam » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 19:53:59

TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 20:06:26

Pops wrote:I saw a story a few months ago about paper going to China to be recycled was stacking up in San Diego because the Chinese didn't need to make boxes to ship stuff back here.

I have a friend who works for a company that uses waste paper here in the states. His branch makes the really cheap toliet paper you find in gas stations.

Expenses are way down because of the decreased competition from China and sales are way up as people buy the cheaper TP.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 20:15:15

wisconsin_cur wrote:I have a friend who works for a company that uses waste paper here in the states. His branch makes the really cheap toliet paper you find in gas stations.

Expenses are way down because of the decreased competition from China and sales are way up as people buy the cheaper TP.

C'mon, are they listed on an exchange? Do you have a ticker symbol for the cheap TP maker? :P
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby TWilliam » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 20:36:31

Shannymara wrote:
alokin wrote:If there are a bunch of them sitting around empty, then perhaps we will soon see more people using them for shelter.

There was a comment that I found interesting with regard to that in the second video I posted above. The narrator said there were something like 7 million containers that entered the U.S. last year loaded with goods, but only 2.5 million that left carrying exports...
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 22:08:25

A friend of mine has a container house. It's not bad. The main living area is a refrigerated container, so it came well insulated. I'd much rather own a container house than rent a stick house.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 22:19:27

My old job took me to the waterfront on occasion. I remember seeing many containers stacked all over the port... and most of them seemed rusty. In fact, I thought all of them were rusty. Isn't oxidation a bit of a concern with container housing? I like the idea btw, and was just wondering what the down sides are.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 22:30:45

eastbay wrote:In fact, I thought all of them were rusty. Isn't oxidation a bit of a concern with container housing?

I suspect anything made of steel and exposed to a lot of salt water is pretty constantly rusty. I don't think my friend's house was rusty inside. Probably not a bad idea to clean the outside and paint it.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ubercrap » Mon 09 Mar 2009, 16:15:46

AFAIK, just about any container that is steel is Cor-ten. Containers have been used for anything from crude cabins and offices to sophisticated, daring architectural experiments for years. Though a few have been close, I don't think anyone has really hit the nail on the head when it comes to exploiting the best aesthetic features of a container-based structure. I have researched this extensively and have drawn out plans for my own container dream home (probably never get around to it) that would blow away most everything I've seen.
ubercrap
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby basil_hayden » Mon 09 Mar 2009, 16:45:24

Sticking containers underground and painting some asphaltic coating on it takes care of corrosion, heat, cold, and general ugliness of these units.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ubercrap » Mon 09 Mar 2009, 17:24:24

basil_hayden wrote:Sticking containers underground and painting some asphaltic coating on it takes care of corrosion, heat, cold, and general ugliness of these units.

"Ugly" is a vague, highly subjective term. Sure, if you just took one straight off of the truck and moved in, that isn't really an attractive, suitable place to live. If that is the extent of your imagination regarding how these could be used as above-ground shelter, well, I feel deeply sorry for you.
ubercrap
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 10 Mar 2009, 00:17:17

GASMON wrote:Some containers are made out of Cor-ten steel. A special steel that doesnot need to be painted. The rust on the surface actually protects the steel from deeper corrosion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

Bloody ugly to live in though.

Gasmon

Ahhhh that's why they 'looked' rusty. Got it.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Economics & Finance