Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

South Africa Fights To Keep Phone Networks Up as Lights Go O

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

South Africa Fights To Keep Phone Networks Up as Lights Go O

Unread postby BrianC » Thu 06 Apr 2023, 14:56:02

South Africa Fights To Keep Phone Networks Up as Lights Go Out (reuters.com) 117
Posted by msmash on Wednesday April 05, 2023 @12:55PM from the tough-luck dept.
An anonymous reader shares a report:
On a recent Friday morning north of Johannesburg, the head of South Africa's largest telecoms company surveyed the arsenal of backup systems keeping just one of his 15,000 network towers online amid the worst power cuts on record. A diesel generator. Solar panels. A bank of expensive backup batteries, theft-proofed within a block of concrete. "Our costs have gone through the roof," lamented Sitho Mdlalose, managing director of Vodacom South Africa. As the national power grid crumbles, leaving Africa's most advanced economy in the dark for up to 10 hours a day, mobile operators including Vodacom, MTN and majority state-owned Telkom are scrambling to ensure their networks stay up and running. https://tech.slashdot.org/story/23/04/0 ... hts-go-out

They're spending millions to install solar panels, batteries and are even trialling wind turbines, while targeting deals with independent power producers to supplement struggling state utility Eskom's increasingly unreliable output, three company executives told Reuters. At stake: essential voice and data services in a nation where landlines are rare but nearly 80% of residents have access to mobile internet. Overall, the power crisis and logistical constraints are expected to erase 2 percentage points from economic growth this year, according to the South African Reserve Bank governor. Mary-Jane Mphahlele, an attorney who also runs a small travel agency in the city of Polokwane, experiences that lost economic activity every time the power is cut. "New clients can't call me ... That means no money is going to come into my business," the 29-year-old said. "It's hell." As they battle to simply mitigate the worsening crisis, telecommunications companies have seen operating costs balloon. Vodacom and MTN executives told Reuters they're having to divert capital away from much needed network upgrades and 5G rollouts. Meanwhile, they said government regulations are blocking potential solutions, such as sharing backup power infrastructure with their competitors, and revealed they're lobbying authorities to help ease the pain.
BrianC
Peat
Peat

Re: South Africa Fights To Keep Phone Networks Up as Lights

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 06 Apr 2023, 15:41:38

Well I'm tempted to blame it all on Black mismanagement of the country but I suspect the colonial powers have a hand in the decline too. It's clear they never wanted Africa as a whole to succeed, far too much wealth there across the diverse nation states. Or perhaps Tribal states might be a better term?
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jato0072 » Thu 06 Apr 2023, 20:48:22

Unfortunately it appears they are going to join Rhodesia in the ash heap of civilization. Sad. :(
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 07 Apr 2023, 08:33:24

Add Sir Lanka.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 07 Apr 2023, 14:51:23

The real problem in South Africa is power outages.

The reason the phone networks go down is that the power grid goes down.

And why is the power network going out for up to 10 hours per day in South Africa?

Corruption.

south-africa-power-cuts-electricity-corruption-

It takes a lot of money to keep power plants up and running.

In South Africa the money is being drained away by corruption at the power company.

It's estimated that multiple different criminal groups are ripping off the power company for over half a billion dollars per year.

Corruption =loss of money for power plant maintainance = no power = no cell phone service.

The relatively low levels of corruption seen in some estern countries are an anomaly......Most other countries are hopelessly corrupt.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 08 Apr 2023, 09:11:15

Puerto Rico heading in similar direction.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 08 Apr 2023, 09:58:58

Maybe there is some sort of philosophical reason for this? Because it's happening to one of those countries that is jumping on the train with Russia. They, along with India and others, seem to think that the world pivots around a certain universal center. Economies operate within universes. This universe may be hobbled by its inability to lose the idea that the state should naturally own all resources, not those individual people who discover them. In this case, it's how the fascists own everything, not how the communists do.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sat 08 Apr 2023, 16:36:41

evilgenius wrote:Maybe there is some sort of philosophical reason for this? Because it's happening to one of those countries that is jumping on the train with Russia. They, along with India and others, seem to think that the world pivots around a certain universal center. Economies operate within universes. This universe may be hobbled by its inability to lose the idea that the state should naturally own all resources, not those individual people who discover them. In this case, it's how the fascists own everything, not how the communists do.

You can be a Fascist AND a Communist at the same time, they certainly are not mutually exclusive. 8) I offer China, Canada, and the U.S. (particularly the Democratic party) as examples.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 08 Apr 2023, 22:54:09

careinke wrote:You can be a Fascist AND a Communist at the same time, they certainly are not mutually exclusive. 8)
Peace

Exactly right. Other then the colors of the uniforms its hard to see much difference between Germany under Hitler and Russia under Stalin except that Stalin killed more people in his concentration camps.

Hannah Arendt in her book THE ORIGINS OF TOTALITARIANISM showed that while totalitarian states may have superficial differences, they are fundamentally the same. Arendt referred to the German variety of totalitarianism as "Black Fascism" and the Russian variety of totalitarianism as "Red Fascism."

Cheers!

PS: CONGRATS to you CAREINKE for sticking to your crypto currency plan right through the last big sell-off.

I'm amazed crypto has roared back and is now doing so well given the rest of the economy is headed over the cliff. Good LUCK going forward.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Makati1 » Sun 09 Apr 2023, 17:48:27

Don't forget, crypto relies on the internet. When the SHTF, the internet will be the first to go for common people like you and me. Loss of electric will do the same. Just another form of fake 'money' only fools rely on.

The SHTF moment may not be far away with the insane US beating on the bear and dragon daily. If you don't hold it in your hand you don't have/own it. Barter in necessities may be the only way to survive, not internet digits.
Makati1
Wood
Wood

Unread postby careinke » Mon 10 Apr 2023, 05:01:43

Makati1 wrote:Don't forget, crypto relies on the internet. When the SHTF, the internet will be the first to go for common people like you and me. Loss of electric will do the same. Just another form of fake 'money' only fools rely on.

The SHTF moment may not be far away with the insane US beating on the bear and dragon daily. If you don't hold it in your hand you don't have/own it. Barter in necessities may be the only way to survive, not internet digits.

Well if the SHTF moment is a full on Nuclear Exchange, due to my location, I will experience a quick and painless end. So I don't worry about it because I have no control over it.

If it is an EMP attack and takes out the U.S. internet along with cars, airplanes, and boats, I still have my Bitcoin because it isn't on the Internet. The BTC blockchain continues to run as long their are miners operating anywhere on earth thanks to BTC decentralization, unlike CBDC's which are centralized.

So worse case I can't use my BTC for a while, but it is still there.

Finally, BTC is only one of my preps, I have many others.

Right now I'm concentrating on making our beach property and Son's property have regenerative soil and actually sequester carbon from the atmosphere for the at least the next 100 generations by making biochar. I figure it will take about two years to complete, maybe less with the help of worms, chickens, ducks and other animals.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 13 Apr 2023, 08:11:20

careinke wrote:
If it is an EMP attack and takes out the U.S. internet ...
So worse case I can't use my BTC for a while, but it is still there.

:roll:
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 13 Apr 2023, 09:33:47

Plantagenet wrote:Hannah Arendt in her book THE ORIGINS OF TOTALITARIANISM showed that while totalitarian states may have superficial differences, they are fundamentally the same. Arendt referred to the German variety of totalitarianism as "Black Fascism" and the Russian variety of totalitarianism as "Red Fascism."

How did she characterize American fascism? MAGA?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 24 Feb 2024, 21:52:39

South African businesses should prepare for a grid collapse

On the back of Stage 6 loadshedding last week following SONA, David Lipton, founder and CEO of globalCom Africa, says local business need to prepare for what lies beyond Stage 8.
With a collapse of the power grid a significant possibility, solutions that provide connectivity will prove essential for local businesses.
https://htxt.co.za/2024/02/20/south-afr ... -collapse/

CEOs are worried South Africa is falling apart

Top-rated risks to business in South Africa
Critical infrastructure blackouts or failures have emerged as the number one risk for businesses in South Africa for the second consecutive year. The report noted that this highlights the severe impact of power outages and the failure of essential infrastructure such as ports, railways, roads, and more on the economy and businesses.
https://businesstech.co.za/news/busines ... ing-apart/

Look! They speak de Englase down in SA lol. What's even more humorous is that this speech in parliament is like a mirror image of the speeches in US bodies that complain about the state of the infrastructure there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhrDmmAgHt8
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mousepad » Mon 26 Feb 2024, 09:48:27

theluckycountry wrote:CEOs are worried South Africa is falling apart

funny. Isn't south africa similar to US cities? Run by africans?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance