Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

some of the forums won't open

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

some of the forums won't open

Unread postby Dawn » Fri 04 Sep 2009, 19:01:33

I received a message that I don't have permission to open topics in this forum. Is it a bug, or did I do something really wrong here? I see that everything has changed a lot, so I thought maybe that was the cause. TIA
Dawn
Lignite
Lignite

Re: some of the forums won't open

Unread postby yeahbut » Fri 04 Sep 2009, 21:43:20

Me too, can't get in to open forum
yeahbut
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ferretlover » Fri 04 Sep 2009, 22:45:41

Yes, we have a precocious gremlin in the system. We expect it to be dealt with sometime this weekend.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Kristen » Fri 04 Sep 2009, 23:37:04

In the meantime, try using a different web browser. Opera and this site mingle well for some reason.
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Novus » Sat 05 Sep 2009, 21:30:37

I am getting the same problem the last few days. Was hoping it would just go away on its own but it hasn't. Please fix.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Last_Laff » Sat 05 Sep 2009, 23:20:20

[You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.]

I get this after clicking the 'Open Topic Discussion' forum, does this mean too as well...?
"Panic is not a strategy." - BigTex
Last_Laff
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sun 06 Sep 2009, 10:15:15

Yes, as noted elsewhere, the open forum has turned into a funhouse-you must find an alternative method for entry (try doing a forum search for a particular topic, or, click on the forum designation listed at the bottom of any Open Topic forum thread).
Other than that, we must wait until the mutating problem can be located and terminated.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby PeakOiler » Wed 09 Sep 2009, 20:16:27

Thanks for the tip FL. I'll try the "Jump To" link, or perhaps the "Last 24 hrs" link to access the open topic forum.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Guest » Wed 09 Sep 2009, 20:37:58

Ferretlover wrote:Yes, we have a precocious gremlin in the system. We expect it to be dealt with sometime this weekend.

I am willing to sell you a small trap for gremlins for only 3 easy payments of $9.95.

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 09 Sep 2009, 23:54:51

PeakOiler wrote:Thanks for the tip FL. I'll try the "Jump To" link, or perhaps the "Last 24 hrs" link to access the open topic forum.

That's not going to work. Some sort of link or mapping is fubar (i.e variable A in one page has to match variable X in the database or some hardcoding). There is obviously a lot of custom code written for this site, which can get away from you very easily. You need to be very thorough and good at debugging scripts (i.e. PHP) with a good knowledge of databases to fix this. I just hope this forum software they chose isn't too obfuscated with functions calling functions calling functions calling func.... etc. or else it will be painful.

That is why you have a mirror test environment and test all code changes there first. Never develop in production. Sounds easy but you have no idea how often I have to draw a line in the sand about that where I work, every day.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Novus » Tue 15 Sep 2009, 20:34:29

This is still broken. Any idea when the open forum will be fixed?
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ferretlover » Tue 15 Sep 2009, 20:37:29

No, no idea.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby admin » Sun 20 Sep 2009, 14:55:41

Is anyone still having problems?
:?: :?: :?:
admin
l33t
l33t

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sun 20 Sep 2009, 17:14:10

Posters still do not have access to Open Topic Discussion
You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Jotapay » Sun 20 Sep 2009, 23:56:18

admin wrote:Is anyone still having problems?

Yes. I still have no permissions to see the forums.

In the PHP scripts, set your ID or permissions to me and you will see the problem. On the permissions include on every page, create a line like this. This is formatted for generic C#/JavaScript/Java/JSP syntax, but your syntax will be similar and you just have to figure out your script notation.

if (usr == 'admin')
{
usr = 'jotapay';
}

'usr' would be your type variable (a string, since this is a script and not managed code where strings are objects) for the user logged in, so you can view a page with my permissions. If you actually have a user class or object (where 'usr' is an object and 'name' is a property of object), then you need to do something like this, where the parameter for the constructor is the string of the user id.

User usr;
if (usr.name == 'admin') // a Java/JSP variant is: if (usr.name.equalsIgnoreCase('admin'))
{
usr = new User ('jotapay');
}

Do a bunch of script dumps to the Apache (or IIS) log as the code executes in sequence, or email them to yourself, so you can see what it going on. Scripts are a pain, as you are experiencing. Managed code with a deugger (like ASP.NET) is so much more preferable in my experience.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby timmac » Mon 21 Sep 2009, 00:28:49

Jotapay wrote:
admin wrote:Is anyone still having problems?

Yes. I still have no permissions to see the forums.

In the PHP scripts, set your ID or permissions to me and you will see the problem. On the permissions include on every page, create a line like this. This is formatted for generic C#/JavaScript/Java/JSP syntax, but your syntax will be similar and you just have to figure out your script notation.

if (usr == 'admin')
{
usr = 'jotapay';
}

'usr' would be your type variable (a string, since this is a script and not managed code where strings are objects) for the user logged in, so you can view a page with my permissions. If you actually have a user class or object (where 'usr' is an object and 'name' is a property of object), then you need to do something like this, where the parameter for the constructor is the string of the user id.

User usr;
if (usr.name == 'admin') // a Java/JSP variant is: if (usr.name.equalsIgnoreCase('admin'))
{
usr = new User ('jotapay');
}

Do a bunch of script dumps to the Apache (or IIS) log as the code executes in sequence, or email them to yourself, so you can see what it going on. Scripts are a pain, as you are experiencing. Managed code with a deugger (like ASP.NET) is so much more preferable in my experience.

Boy I am so far behind the 8 ball when it comes to computer jargon, this post above looks like Chinese to me..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby lowem » Mon 21 Sep 2009, 08:22:07

timmac wrote:Boy I am so far behind the 8 ball when it comes to computer jargon, this post above looks like Chinese to me..

Happily, I can read both PHP and Chinese :lol:

An easier way, instead of modifying the code and risk messing up the system, would be to reset the password of a user who is having these problems, share the accounts for a while, so that the admin can login and try to reproduce the problem and fix it. Of course we could also create another test account and see whether that is having the same problem.

But yeah, I agree that debugging scripting-type languages without a proper debugger can be quite a pain. We're reduced to println("---> x = " + x + " <---") kind of stuff just to see what the heck is going on.
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Return to Technical Support