Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Small Is Beatiful

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: Small Is Beatiful

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 10 Jan 2006, 08:40:06

Andy wrote:Another question, is nuclear the only technology that can provide energy at the requisite scale and cost? If you answer yes, you have not done your homework. Wind already provides electricity for costs ranging from 3- 9 US c/KWH including offshore technology. The high value of 8 - 9 c/KWH is the low value for nuclear. Concentrating solar thermal costs between 8 and 13 cents with costs likely to fall, the opposite of which is likely true for nuclear when the intractable civil defence and waste/fuel issues are contemplated. Any attempt to minimize those costs simply tranfers it from internalized to external (health, military). Energy efficiency costs as low as 1 c/KWH and the potential is as much as 30 - 50% of existing energy consumption. Concentrating photovoltaic technology is threatening to cost near 10 c/KWH at the retail site in high solar areas, already distributed. (Read about 39% efficient Spectrolab cells on their way to 41% and more)

I have not even mentioned wave, tidal, ocean thermal which have not been given an equitable share of research resources and thus are not yet market ready.

Oh shut up, those aren't "science"!

:-D
Ludi

Unread postby Doly » Tue 10 Jan 2006, 09:28:39

Andy wrote:Another question, is nuclear the only technology that can provide energy at the requisite scale and cost?

That is The Question. Devil seems to think that nuclear will be necessary as part of the solution, and he's the guy that understands about energy technology here.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnergySpin » Tue 10 Jan 2006, 12:04:13

SchroedingersCat wrote:Sorry Energy Spin, I wish your dreams were realities but the facts are that liquid sodium cooled reactors still have serious economic, technical and safety issues. The economic issues will soon become moot, but the technical and safety problems need to be solved.

Who said anything about liquid sodium breeder reactors?
I'm firmly in the MSBR camp for the same reasons that Dezakin detailed.
We even have our own dedicated artist!

http://www.alien8recordings.com/msbr.php3
M.S.B.R. (Molten Salt Breeder Reactor), aka Koji Tano, is one of the most respected noise artists to emerge from Tokyo’s vibrant noise/experimental music scene of the 90’s

Fire those electrons Koji while the neutrons fly inside the reactor!
:-D :-D :-D
"Nuclear power has long been to the Left what embryonic-stem-cell research is to the Right--irredeemably wrong and a signifier of moral weakness."Esquire Magazine,12/05
The genetic code is commaless and so are my posts.
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology