Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Site Software upgrades *READ ME*

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Re: Site Software upgrades *READ ME*

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 00:43:03

The edit comment only starts showing up after a reply follows your message.
Try editing it now, after I've posted this.

hmm.. edit edit edit...
Last edited by AgentR11 on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 01:53:14, edited 1 time in total.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 01:54:50

Ok... their php interpreter is haunted.

eekkK!

BOOO!
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 04:14:47

test

edit:

success!

Must be a cookie issue or whatever. I opened up a Chrome icognito window and then it worked.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Has anyone missed their peakoil.com? Check in here..

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 04:19:52

To anyone who can't get in, I've just been able to by using the "incognito" feature of Chrome browser. That means the issue was something to do with browsing history or cookies or whatnot.

Ok let's do a head count.. who survived the blackout.. :lol:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Has anyone missed their peakoil.com? Check in here..

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 04:29:42

This so called upgrade has virtually destroyed the forum. I for 1 won't be bothering until it's fixed. Last out don't forget the lights/
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 04:32:38

test / every other time since I have had to wrangle with settings and have wasted lots of time.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 05:02:56

SeaGypsy wrote:Last out don't forget the lights/

I didn't want to say it but since you brought it up.. hopefully 90% of the membership isn't gone now.

Going forward, if the mods / site ownership don't mind then perhaps a backup forum on yahoo or whatever might be a good idea (though probably wouldn't work, people won't remember the backup).

Nothing lasts forever of course, but this site is somewhat unique.. a group of people who've been talking for years now.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 05:26:58

test
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 05:41:59

Reversengineer tried that for a while during a site problem a few years back / it didn't go far. Breakaway sites have the tendency to draw just the clique attracted to the progenator. There is no way to transplant a uniquely diverse community like po.com
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby davep » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 09:17:28

SeaGypsy wrote:Reversengineer tried that for a while during a site problem a few years back / it didn't go far. Breakaway sites have the tendency to draw just the clique attracted to the progenator. There is no way to transplant a uniquely diverse community like po.com

RE's Yahoo group "reverseengineering" now has 58 members and is pretty good value. It's more active now than it's ever been.

But I agree that splitting up due to the loss of an established site obviously dilutes the community base and hinders intelligent debate.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:00:02

So we now have three lists that should be identical, but are all different for some mysterious reason:

Latest posts
Active discussions

The first, which shows up on the main page, includes links to threads that have not had any posts on them in days.

May I ask (and please imagine this intoned with the sweetest, kindest warble): WTF?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:53:33

If you're reading this, I can post by booting my computer from a Ubuntu CD.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ferretlover » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:02:02

Yes, sometimes upgrades cause unforeseen problems; they got me, too, for awhile.
But, you must learn to adjust while there is time to do so.
And, for those who were screaming about how awful this site's occasional problems are or have been, we notice that you are still posting here, at PeakOil.com, one of the last standing sites on the serious topic.
Our world is going to hell in a hand basket and you need to focus on the real, non-repairable problems.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 20:02:58

Just back after a 4 day hiatus.

Can't post in FireFox 'invalid' something or other.

Explorer seems to be working.
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby papa moose » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 20:27:54

Thought i'd post this here just incase someone reads this thread but not the other regarding error message:

papa moose wrote:Hello again everyone, hopefully this will work a second third time:

While i appreciate the advice to "clear your cookies" the comment that all the missing people "clearly can't follow instructions" was not the least helpful (either in fixing the problem or keeping my blood pressure down :evil: ).

So for anyone out the "deleting cookies" furiously and screaming at their PC when they still get that rejection message, heres a "Deleting Cookies for Idiots" lesson for people using Internet Explorer (and only us idiots would use IE, right?).

To delete all browsing history
In Internet Explorer, click the Safety button (upper right, below the google bar), and then click Delete Browsing History.
Select the check box next to each category of information you want to delete.
DO NOT DO THIS BIT Select the Preserve Favorites website data check box if you do not want to delete the cookies and files associated with websites in your Favorites list.
Click Delete. This could take awhile if you have a lot of files and history.

Hopefully i won't have to repeat this process each day.

I d'dn't have any issues this morning (not sure if this reflects my super IT abilities of just coincidence that admin have ironed out the bugs, either way.
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 04 Oct 2011, 18:15:28

papa moose wrote:Thought i'd post this here just incase someone reads this thread but not the other regarding error message:

papa moose wrote:Hello again everyone, hopefully this will work a second third time:

While i appreciate the advice to "clear your cookies" the comment that all the missing people "clearly can't follow instructions" was not the least helpful (either in fixing the problem or keeping my blood pressure down :evil: ).

So for anyone out the "deleting cookies" furiously and screaming at their PC when they still get that rejection message, heres a "Deleting Cookies for Idiots" lesson for people using Internet Explorer (and only us idiots would use IE, right?).

To delete all browsing history
In Internet Explorer, click the Safety button (upper right, below the google bar), and then click Delete Browsing History.
Select the check box next to each category of information you want to delete.
DO NOT DO THIS BIT Select the Preserve Favorites website data check box if you do not want to delete the cookies and files associated with websites in your Favorites list.
Click Delete. This could take awhile if you have a lot of files and history.

Hopefully i won't have to repeat this process each day.

I d'dn't have any issues this morning (not sure if this reflects my super IT abilities of just coincidence that admin have ironed out the bugs, either way.

Papamoose, Thanks for this info!! I went to Tools menu on IE brower to find "Delete Browsing History". I checked all boxes except top one "Preserve Favorites website data" as you advised, then clicked delete. That worked! Now I can post. Cheers.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby papa moose » Tue 04 Oct 2011, 22:56:48

Graeme wrote:Papamoose, Thanks for this info!! I went to Tools menu on IE brower to find "Delete Browsing History". I checked all boxes except top one "Preserve Favorites website data" as you advised, then clicked delete. That worked! Now I can post. Cheers.

Happy to help Graeme, and having you back should get the thread count ticking over again :)
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support