Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Reel Mowers

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Unread postby MD » Fri 10 Jun 2005, 04:51:46

PhilBiker wrote:
MD wrote:
RG73 wrote:We're nearing peak oil and people are worried about their lawns? Nice.

Yes. My lawn, my kid's graduation, what I will have for breakfast tomorrow, what I will wear tomorrow, when I will find time to do my laundry, and a myriad of other routine, daily chores that require attention.
What? When you should be running around like a chicken with your head cut off? How dare you! ;)

"When in Danger, or in Doubt, Run in Circles, Scream, and Shout!"
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby lawnchair » Fri 10 Jun 2005, 08:20:20

Really, if you have more than a small yard, it's still a pain with a reel mower. I admit they have gotten much better than they used to be. Still, for years to come, you'll have energy to mow, if you must. I prefer basic electric mowers (drag the cord style). Electric mowers can last 15 or 20 years with no engine-rebuilds or other maintainence beyond sharpening the blade.

If we get Great Depression II, everyone else will stop screwing with (spending money on) their lawns, and you can too. When it gets tall, someone nearby will graze their ruminants on your block for a day
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Daculling » Fri 10 Jun 2005, 11:14:33

RG73 wrote:It requires tons of irrigation--which uses energy, not to mention pisses away valuable water. It's boring looking. It can require fertilizer.

Hell No! That would make it grow faster! I'm trying to keep it short... Then again, maybe you live in the desert. Not me.
Daculling
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby PhilBiker » Fri 10 Jun 2005, 11:29:42

Daculling wrote:
RG73 wrote:It requires tons of irrigation--which uses energy, not to mention pisses away valuable water. It's boring looking. It can require fertilizer.

Hell No! That would make it grow faster! I'm trying to keep it short... Then again, maybe you live in the desert. Not me.
Ha ha ha. Rain is fine and my lawn care company uses natural products with an absolute minimum of petrochemicals.
PhilBiker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jaakkeli » Fri 10 Jun 2005, 12:15:12

RG73 wrote:The question that comes to mind here is why on Earth anyone wants grass to begin with? It requires tons of irrigation--which uses energy, not to mention pisses away valuable water.

Dunno about the area of the original poster, but lawns require irrigation only in some places. Or so I imagine - I don't know how common a problem water really is, but over here the idea of a water "shortage" or water being something that someone could need to "conserve" sound like oxymorons. I mean, it's <i>water</i>. It's <i>impossible</i> to have a shortage of <i>water</i>!

In fact, it's quite hard for me to imagine how you could NOT have grass. Here, if you have a bit of empty land and don't do anything about it, it'll just take a while into summer to turn into a grass jungle where walking around is "labour intensive". 8O
jaakkeli
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MD » Fri 10 Jun 2005, 12:34:05

jaakkeli wrote:
RG73 wrote:The question that comes to mind here is why on Earth anyone wants grass to begin with? It requires tons of irrigation--which uses energy, not to mention pisses away valuable water.

Dunno about the area of the original poster, but lawns require irrigation only in some places. Or so I imagine - I don't know how common a problem water really is, but over here the idea of a water "shortage" or water being something that someone could need to "conserve" sound like oxymorons. I mean, it's <i>water</i>. It's <i>impossible</i> to have a shortage of <i>water</i>!

In fact, it's quite hard for me to imagine how you could NOT have grass. Here, if you have a bit of empty land and don't do anything about it, it'll just take a while into summer to turn into a grass jungle where walking around is "labour intensive". 8O

Same in central Ohio
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby RG73 » Fri 10 Jun 2005, 13:34:30

jaakkeli wrote:
RG73 wrote:Dunno about the area of the original poster, but lawns require irrigation only in some places.

Most of the United States. People have laws, they have sprinklers on the lawn, they water the lawn.

Or so I imagine - I don't know how common a problem water really is, but over here the idea of a water "shortage" or water being something that someone could need to "conserve" sound like oxymorons. I mean, it's <i>water</i>. It's <i>impossible</i> to have a shortage of <i>water</i>!

And yet, in fact, we do have a worldwide water shortage. Since you need to water your lawn with fresh water, not sea water, and since desalinization requires substantial energy--yeah, there isn't enough fresh water in the world. Seeing as major rivers in China and the US barely make it out to sea because of the drain from cities and agriculture, yes, I'd say there is most certainly a water problem. The UN sort of agrees with me on this, as do any number of other people who have looked into it.

No, if you live in Arizona you will not just get grass over the summer. Golf courses in Palm Springs do not sprout up over night. Much of the US west of the Rockies is desert. They have lots of lawns out there. Grass doesn't grow in the desert. Connect the dots. Therefore....xeriscaping is obviously the way to go.
RG73
Peat
Peat

Unread postby oowolf » Fri 10 Jun 2005, 18:23:36

My place is subirrigated and the grass grows several inches a day in May and June (with endless cloudy days so it never dries out to easily mow). Without mowing my garden and house would be buried in rank, lodged grass. I HATE grass (but realize it's immortal). I use a gas mower and ABSOLUTELY DREAD the day I have to drag out the reel machine. I'd get some sheep but I know the wolves would be after them toot-sweet-so I'd have to get a Borzoi
http://www.borzoi.net/
which would need 5 pounds of meat daily etc etc. or get one of these:
http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product.asp ... id=14-8008
I wonder how much cutting power you get for $800?!!
oowolf
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Energy Technology