Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Corporate salvage question- is this possible or legal

Corporate salvage question- is this possible or legal

Unread postby hardtootell-2 » Mon 19 Apr 2010, 12:28:18

I have an idea and some questions surrounding it. I hope this forum is open minded enough to have a discussion without getting too judgmental.

So here it is:

Supposing we suspend our sense of "morality" for just a moment:

An individual forms a corporation for the intention of acquiring other corporations. The acquired corps (lets call them daughter corps) would need to have a mix of liabilities and assets. The aquiring corp strips the assets from the daughter corps and deposits them into the acquiring corp and then into her personal assets and folds the daughter corp or leaves it to wither.

Has any common law been broken? How about civil law? Has anyone seen this done or done it? As far as morality is concerned- lets just say, for the purposes of discussion that we are going to hell any ways :)

Let me know what you think
hardtootell-2
Coal
Coal

Re: Corporate salvage question- is this possible or legal

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 19 Apr 2010, 12:43:09

Look up Corporate Raider's and Junk Bonds, this has all been done before and the morality of it is questionable, but technically legal .
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby hardtootell-2 » Mon 19 Apr 2010, 13:12:14

Tanada wrote:Look up Corporate Raider's and Junk Bonds, this has all been done before and the morality of it is questionable, but technically legal .

I bet it would be hard to do it w/o some damage to someone elses wealth or livelihood. I guess that's the catch. IMHO it would not be a lot worse than working for some companies I could name.
hardtootell-2
Coal
Coal

Unread postby americandream » Wed 21 Apr 2010, 21:56:40

It all depends on what this arrangement is designed to secure:

Tax avoidance could be a likely risk depending on whether the arrangement is being used to create tax savings whilst lacking any commercial substance.

Where there is evidence of a criminal intention to evade reporting tax by the use of this structure, tax evasion could be an issue.

The above two are complex but one way of simplifying the whole exercise is to stand back and look at whether the arrangement has any commercial substance and/or legal basis, both domestic law as well as international treaties where the arrangement extends to foreign acquisitions..

Corporate civil and criminal law could be a problem as well if the arrangement is being used to either milk investors of startup or working capital or deprive them of a fair share of the profit.

Finally, money laundering also comes to mind if the arrangement is being used to redeem illegal earnings.

hardtootell-2 wrote:I have an idea and some questions surrounding it. I hope this forum is open minded enough to have a discussion without getting too judgmental.

So here it is:

Supposing we suspend our sense of "morality" for just a moment:

An individual forms a corporation for the intention of acquiring other corporations. The acquired corps (lets call them daughter corps) would need to have a mix of liabilities and assets. The aquiring corp strips the assets from the daughter corps and deposits them into the acquiring corp and then into her personal assets and folds the daughter corp or leaves it to wither.

Has any common law been broken? How about civil law? Has anyone seen this done or done it? As far as morality is concerned- lets just say, for the purposes of discussion that we are going to hell any ways :)

Let me know what you think
americandream
Permanently Banned

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate