Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Documentary film seeks pro-consumption conservative

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Documentary film seeks pro-consumption conservative

Unread postby jferrera » Tue 17 Nov 2009, 20:29:16

We are producing a documentary film on consumption in America, with particular focus on how resource consumption relates to our American heritage of liberty and freedom. We explore the conflict between those who say Americans should reduce their resource consumption vs. those who say that asking us to reduce our consumption is a violation of our inherent American rights of liberty and individual freedom.

If you can speak about our inherent American right of more resources and our right to more stuff, we would like to possibly add your story/perspective to the debate.

Please send us some information: your name, age & general area of residence, as well as some insight into your story, your beliefs, your consumption habits, and how you would be a great fit for what we are looking for. We are currently shooting in California.
Thank you

WARNING: DO NOT post any personal identifiers, yours or that belonging to any other poster on the public forums, ie: real name, address, telephone number, personal email address, place of employment, etc. We have NO way of protecting the information. This board is read by people all over the world, by governments, by news agencies, and other posters. If you wish to exchange info, please do it by PM if you are certain the person receiving it is okay. We cannot provide any personal information, nor can we be responsible for information that you provide to others. The Staff.
jferrera
Wood
Wood

Re: Documentary film seeks pro-consumption conservative

Unread postby Jotapay » Mon 30 Nov 2009, 18:09:54

If you can speak about our inherent American right of more resources and our right to more stuff, we would like to possibly add your story/perspective to the debate.

I'm not sure you'll find many of those types here.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Mon 30 Nov 2009, 18:26:00

jferrera wrote: We are currently shooting in California.

I'll jump in my Hummer and be right there as soon as I load up the cd/dvd player and fill the back with beef jerky and ding dongs.
Cool, I could stop by pstarr's tree house on the way.
Say, do you have one of them mar e wanna dispensaries near the shoot?
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby phaster » Thu 17 Dec 2009, 18:31:18

jferrera wrote:We are producing a documentary film on consumption in America, with particular focus on how resource consumption relates to our American heritage of liberty and freedom. We explore the conflict between those who say Americans should reduce their resource consumption vs. those who say that asking us to reduce our consumption is a violation of our inherent American rights of liberty and individual freedom.

Please send us some information: your name, age & general area of residence, as well as some insight into your story, your beliefs, your consumption habits, and how you would be a great fit for what we are looking for. We are currently shooting in California.
Thank you

In California eh? If ya ask me ya might want to make a distinction between smart and plain old dumb consumption. In many way your film project strikes me as being akin to how to put this, spoiled entitled idiots kinda like those oil sheiks driving a gold mercedes

http://images.google.com/images?num=50& ... d+mercedes

lots of concertative talk radio shows host seem to blame for screwing the american public over the "high" cost of oil. Ever consider that nowhere in the US constitution is it stated that consumption is some kind of god given right? Sure "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is one of the most famous phrases in the United States Declaration of Independence, but IMHO one thing conservatives in this country seem to forget even though many of them are self proclaimed bible thumpers and unrepentant consumers, is material crap does not buy happiness or eternal salvation.

I'm not a very religious person, but I seems to me that too many bible thumpers and self proclaimed jesus freaks over here in the USA (frm president bush for example), are missing the point that the current state of the economy reflects exactly what was planted becase as you sow so you reap (which is basically an idea out of galatians in the old testament), I'd also suggest that too many people weather of the religious persuasion or not have "consumption" as their god

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_am_the_Lord_your_God

America IMHO became a superpower in a great part because many educational institutions and businesses embraced the idea that effecency thru scientific analysis made great strides in producing products that made and embraced the efficent use natural resources. You mentioned in your post "our inherent American rights of liberty and individual freedom," well if your looking in California for someone to agree to that particular philosophy I'd be more than willing to agree to that statement but I'd add the caveat that we Americans should have the responsibility to use resources such as oil, water or capital as efficently as possible!

BTW I'm in SoCal and I'm a devout capitalist, with all toys so to speak (the SUV, the airplane, rental real estate, etc.), but I embraced the idea that thur efficent use of natural resources such as energ and water its possible to greatly reduce consumption of these items because it makes business sense!

http://www.phaster.com/_peak/_remodeling.html

One last though, isn't a "pro-consumption" political "conservative" an oxymoron?
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Questionmark » Fri 19 Mar 2010, 23:59:38

I hope the goal here is to make fools of these people.
Questionmark
Peat
Peat

Unread postby hillsidedigger » Sat 20 Mar 2010, 07:57:05

There was some fool of a Congressperson speaking a few weeks ago in Washington saying we had the Godgiven right and duty to consume the fossils fuels we have been given if only we have enough sense to do it.
hillsidedigger
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 20 Mar 2010, 12:39:39

Isn't this the standard conservative line, served up on a plate on Fox News and the WSJ, for example, each and every week, if not every day?

I was amused at how, until recently, driving around in stupid huge SUV's was justified by these folks because "gas is cheap". (Yeah, like the US is the whole world, or we have an intelligent energy policy).

The new line seems squarely centered at "god given rights" since the "logic" of cheap gas is getting harder to justify.

Sigh.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to Conservation & Efficiency