Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 6

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Here's my first post

Unread postby Revi » Sun 17 Jan 2010, 21:54:51

Chicago could be an interesting place to live post-peak. There is a lot of good farmland in the midwest and lots of water in the lake.

You probably won't die of hunger or thirst anyway.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your journey.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby kimbari » Mon 18 Jan 2010, 00:04:25

Revi wrote:You probably won't die of hunger or thirst anyway.

That's the idea, anyway. :) It's raining here in SoCal now but we go for months without rain. And I'd rather not wait around for desalination plants to come online, tyvm.

Thanks for the luck.
kimbari
Wood
Wood

Unread postby timmac » Mon 18 Jan 2010, 02:03:24

Revi wrote:Chicago could be an interesting place to live post-peak. There is a lot of good farmland in the midwest and lots of water in the lake.

You probably won't die of hunger or thirst anyway.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your journey.

Well thats a matter of opinion, if were comparing just Chicago to So Cali, I would stay with So Cali, theres pleanty of food growing in Cali, Chicago gets cold as hell, I know this because I lived there for a spell, but if family draws you there than thats a different story, any major city will be of no good past peak oil, and the warmer the better...

Oh yea,, Welcome to Peak Oil..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby anador » Mon 18 Jan 2010, 14:39:51

timmac wrote:Well thats a matter of opinion, if were comparing just Chicago to So Cali, I would stay with So Cali, theres pleanty of food growing in Cali, Chicago gets cold as hell, I know this because I lived there for a spell, but if family draws you there than thats a different story, any major city will be of no good past peak oil, and the warmer the better...

You know the only reason anything is growing in SoCal is because of oil derived fertilizes an water pumped from hundreds of miles away and aquifers that diminish in volume by the month right?

SoCal is an oil-built fantasy.

Much like Las Vegas, actually
@#$% highways
anador
Coal
Coal

Unread postby timmac » Mon 18 Jan 2010, 18:04:18

anador wrote:
timmac wrote:Well thats a matter of opinion, if were comparing just Chicago to So Cali, I would stay with So Cali, theres pleanty of food growing in Cali, Chicago gets cold as hell, I know this because I lived there for a spell, but if family draws you there than thats a different story, any major city will be of no good past peak oil, and the warmer the better...

You know the only reason anything is growing in SoCal is because of oil derived fertilizes an water pumped from hundreds of miles away and aquifers that diminish in volume by the month right?

SoCal is an oil-built fantasy.

Much like Las Vegas, actually

That's not 100% correct, they have been farming in Cali long before oil and fertilizers,, its just as the population has growing more newer farmers moved into the desert and the state built water channels for them to bring in more tax revenue, there is pleanty of places in Cali that do not depend on this, and I was a son of a farmer in Iowa and I saw no planting or picking by hand and using horses and that was in the 70.s and there was a lot of fertilizers being used also, so where you think in Illinois area they are using horses for all there farming and no fertilizes is beyond me,.. Chicago is not a place to be post peak or Las Vegas, LA or most anywhere as long as the world has 7 billion people..

Oh yea, who needs farms when we have 50 all you can eat buffets... :lol:
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 18 Jan 2010, 19:17:50

kimbari wrote: a tharn stare

That's an obscure reference! Welcome!
Ludi

Re: Hola!

Unread postby lateStarter » Thu 21 Jan 2010, 18:03:26

Welcome! What would you like to chat about?
We have been brought into the present condition in which we are unable neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them. - Livy
lateStarter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Hola!

Unread postby eastbay » Thu 21 Jan 2010, 20:39:51

Yeah, what's on your mind? Hmmm?
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Greetings from the Palouse

Unread postby GetAbike » Sat 30 Jan 2010, 11:44:18

Greetings!
This is my first post from the worst place on the planet for P.O. which is called the Palouse-
Home of the U of I Vandals [smilie=5opera.gif] and WSU [smilie=profe.gif] , about 7 miles away.

I just want to put in my vote, and my hope, for a long descent after an economic recovery in 2010.
Thanks,
J
GetAbike
Wood
Wood

Hello from Newfoundland!

Unread postby Annie K Oakley » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 10:24:53

Good day everyone!
I have been reading about peak oil issues for just over a decade now.
In 2006 I made the move from Ontario to Newfoundland.
This June my husband and I will be living at our doomstead full time.
He will still be working while I will be working at the cabin...between food, water and fire wood a full time job in itself.
This comes about not just as a doomstead...it's been the way that I have wanted to live ever since I could remember. So it's also the beginning of a dream that I have been waiting for a long time for.

I am also basically a lurker. I don't talk much in real life and that carries through onto the net. Just the way that I am. I contribute when I feel that I have something helpful to add.
Annie K Oakley
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello from Newfoundland!

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 10:55:00

Welcome aboard :)

Any insight you have on your preps would be very welcome here, as will your other contributions.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello from Phildo

Unread postby Phildo » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 14:45:04

Hello,

Let's see ... ..

Who -- Phildo, nickname from way-back. It is a combination of my first and middle name. I am 48, Mrs. Phildo is a good bit younger, but usually more mature than me :-D and the chilluns are 7, 5, and 2.

What -- Electrical Engineer type, MS/BS -- bfd :) Work in Power type stuff. Came up through the trades, so Master Electrician, as well. Teach it now, too. Mostly interested in scaling various renewable energy projects to individual and community scale. And current pet project -- Electric Farming. -- that is where modern farming techniques are done w/o Oil inputs for fuel.

Where -- Mostly from Texas, but travel most of the US and beyond for work or fun.

When -- Just about all the time. Usually studying, teaching, or playing with the kids to build this type stuff.

Why -- Have seen Big Shifts in the Texas Energy market and beyond, as depletion models add up. The road ahead looks like it could be dark or pretty bright, depending on the path(s) chosen and steps taken. So my interest is to review concepts, ideas, and see what leads to practical application.

Guess that covers the basics?

Thanks for having me.
Phildo
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello from Phildo

Unread postby davep » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 16:20:53

Welcome Phildo. I suggest you look through the 'Planning for the Future' forum for lots of practical advice. And you could possibly start a thread on your area of expertise, Electric Farming. It sounds like it could be an interesting subject.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Greetings from the Palouse

Unread postby Phildo » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 16:58:26

Hey GetAbike,

Newbie, here, too.

Looks like a really interesting area >>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palouse

Why do you figure it is so bad regarding P.O?
Phildo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Phildo » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 17:00:39

davep wrote:Welcome Phildo. I suggest you look through the 'Planning for the Future' forum for lots of practical advice. And you could possibly start a thread on your area of expertise, Electric Farming. It sounds like it could be an interesting subject.

Hi davep.

Thank you for the welcome.

Already started looking through your "Planning for the Future" section. I will start a thread, there. Thanks for the suggestion.
Phildo
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello

Unread postby Phildo » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 17:26:25

Hello sereze,

Newbie, too.

Just thought I should say Hello.

:)
Phildo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby timmac » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 17:46:52

[quote="Phildo]
The road ahead looks like it could be dark or pretty bright, depending on the path(s) chosen and steps taken. .[/quote][/quote]

Just to pick your brain, what path do you see America heading down now..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby davep » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 17:59:11

timmac wrote:
Phildo wrote:
The road ahead looks like it could be dark or pretty bright, depending on the path(s) chosen and steps taken. .

Just to pick your brain, what path do you see America heading down now..

How about giving your prognosis to set the ball rolling?
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Greetings from the Palouse

Unread postby timmac » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 18:06:57

How would a farming area be the worse place to be past Peak Oil ??, I would think Vegas would be the 1st to go..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Phildo » Sun 31 Jan 2010, 18:11:54

timmac wrote:
[quote="Phildo]
The road ahead looks like it could be dark or pretty bright, depending on the path(s) chosen and steps taken. .[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Just to pick your brain, what path do you see America heading down now..[/quote]

I do not. Not that I do not see, but I do not tend to do predictions.

I have been specifically trained against predictions, and instead do scenarios.

A problem with predictions, is that folks tend to "invest" in them and start to try to make them real -- whether good or bad -- and it distorts their world view. You may have heard the phrase, "We see the world as we are, not as it is."

With scenarios, on the other hand, one can prepare for a Worst Case, Best Case, and Changed Case, most typically. The general concept is one prepares to make the Worst Case survivable, the Best Case profitable and be flexible and dynamic enough to adjust to the Changed Case.

But Case studies are not predictions, they are just ways of dealing with the uncertainties. In practice, the Worst or Best Case rarely happen, and some Changed Case almost always does.

Dunno if that made sense without some examples, but a somewhat dated, but very good book on this is "The Art of the Long View: Planning for the Future in an Uncertain World" http://www.amazon.com/Art-Long-View-Pla ... 0385267320 It is by one of Shell Oil's Planners.
Phildo
Wood
Wood

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome